The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
dynamark
Davie
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
LadyPutt
super_realist
robopz
pedro
GPB
McLaren
Good Golly I'm Olly
incontinentia
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I actually had occasion recently to view Tiger's leaked nude photo. Have any of you seen it? He may not have calves but he's blessed in other areas
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz Fri 03 Jul 2020, 1:02 pm

super_realist wrote:
Not confusing at all. Does being a fat git make you better at anything?
Golf is one - Signed Carl Petterson

robopz

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Jul 2020, 2:41 pm

Darren Clarke
Lee Westwood
Monty
Stadler
Jack Nicklaus
Lee Trevino
VJ

And the list could go on. But would any of them have been better if they had bmi's that classified them as healthy weights?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 03 Jul 2020, 3:04 pm

Very nice round by the Bison. Do you think organisers are going to have to start DeChambeau-proofing courses now?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Jul 2020, 3:05 pm

McLaren wrote:Darren Clarke
Lee Westwood
Monty
Stadler
Jack Nicklaus
Lee Trevino
VJ

And the list could go on. But would any of them have been better if they had bmi's that classified them as healthy weights?

All from an era when virtually none of their peers gave the slightest toss about physical conditioning, so rather a moot list.
Why would anyone in the modern game when so much is understood about diet, conditioning and the effect this has on strength, fatigue and all round health be borderline obese like Lowry or Campbell?
When has anyone ever got the best of their talent by not being in better shape?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 03 Jul 2020, 3:17 pm

super_realist wrote:When has anyone ever got the best of their talent by not being in better shape?
Sumo wrestlers
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Jul 2020, 3:28 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:When has anyone ever got the best of their talent by not being in better shape?
Sumo wrestlers

Waaaaaaaaayyy, the Godwins Rule of the fat controversy. Give that man a coconut.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 03 Jul 2020, 3:54 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Is there anything in your life you are better at for carrying three stone of excess lard  around your waist (or in your parlance 42lbs) ?
Does weighing that much more than you should mean you are going to be more tired or less tired during or after a round? Not a tricky one to answer.

Considering the confusing grammar, it is very tricky to answer!

Not confusing at all. Does being a fat git make you better at anything? Does carrying a massive amou t of excess lard around your waste mean you will be more tired or less tired?

No wonder Kwini left when you react like such an idiot.

Mickelson has had quite a career carrying a few extra pounds, and (I can't believe I am saying this) so has Westwood.

I have noticed that many guys that have optimal BMIs (or better than optimal) have their share of injuries.

Not too many heavy weights in this list, Kevin Stadler a notable exception

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html

You complain about Plus Size players, and you also complain about Tiger's skinny legs. There really is no pleasing. I am not sure why you are so infatuated with male body. You seem to examine players very carefully for imperfections.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 03 Jul 2020, 3:55 pm

We've been over this and over this. You can't show that a golfer's performance is affected by extra bodyweight, its just a bigoted assumption you're making.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 03 Jul 2020, 4:22 pm

It's not bigoted at all. It's simply an opposite opinion to you based on there being virtually no situations where being overweight is of benefit.  
You've dredged the bottom of the barrel and mentioned Sumo as an example of where being fat is beneficial. Do you really want to partner golf with Sumo?

There's not much athleticism in golf, but it's highly unlikely that being a fat knacker is going to be good in the tail end of a tournament or for the long term health of the golfer involved.

At the very least, and if a player wants to see whether they can reach their potential they at least owe it to themselves to get in the sort of shape where they aren't carrying around 40 odd pounds of lard. If you even went for a walk and you did that, you'd be physically and mentally tired.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Jul 2020, 4:30 pm

Super

Just where are you seeing the data that shows going from Westwood, Monty, DC, VJ or Mickelson BMI's to BMI < 25 means you shoot lower golf scores?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 03 Jul 2020, 4:59 pm

Are there any recorded instances of fat players performing better after losing weight? I'm sure a great many have tried over the years. Did John Daly get gastric bypass? Pretty sure he was still sh!t afterwards. Darren Clarke? Yes he won a major but overall I dont think he became a better player.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 03 Jul 2020, 5:39 pm

Carl Pettersen's game got a lot worse after he stopped drinking beer. And milkshakes.

Inco: I think Aesop said it best and it applies to Super

Aesop wrote:“The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny, and it is useless for the innocent to try by reasoning to get justice, when the oppressor intends to be unjust

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 03 Jul 2020, 6:14 pm

Dechambeau is certainly playing better after gaining 30-40 pounds

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 03 Jul 2020, 6:15 pm

Good point GPB!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 03 Jul 2020, 6:17 pm

PGA of America moving with the times...

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1151078/
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 03 Jul 2020, 6:49 pm

Mickelson, singh, Els all did not have optimal BMIs

2nd 3rd and 4th best players of the last 30 yrs

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 04 Jul 2020, 12:00 pm

GPB wrote:Mickelson, singh, Els all did not have optimal BMIs

2nd 3rd and 4th best players of the last 30 yrs

Again, look at the era they were at their peak. All largely in fat persons eras.
The question is not how good you are, but how good you could have been. Singh wasn't really fat, and worked very hard on the physical part of the game.
How is Singh the 3rd best player of the last thirty years anyway? Who the hell wouldn't rank McIlroy and Koepka above him?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 04 Jul 2020, 12:15 pm

Happy Independence Day to any and all Yanks.

Hats off to DCB for trying to perfect his craft using any legal method. Not sure many would have the same drive. That said, my highly uniformed opinion is that it will likely have negative effects in the future. Still, might be worth it if he goes on a run and no denying his position near the top these last few events.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 04 Jul 2020, 12:18 pm

I give him credit for being different, but he's not remotely likeable and I'm glad when he doesn't win.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 04 Jul 2020, 11:49 pm

I’d say if he can change the approach to golf, it’s fine with me.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 05 Jul 2020, 6:02 am

DeChambeau getting a bit upset with being filmed all the time, especially after doing a Sergio in a bunker. Golf Digest report here

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2020, 8:09 am

I'm never wrong wrote:DeChambeau getting a bit upset with being filmed all the time, especially after doing a Sergio in a bunker. Golf Digest report here

“Don’t film the 5 foot putt on 18 to win the championship, it will hurt my brand if I miss it”

What an idiot
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 05 Jul 2020, 11:14 am

Remember how people wouldn't accept that if you filmed every player as much as Tiger they would come off a lot worse than him. Tiger had almost every shot filmed and never behaved as petulantly as bryson.
McLaren
McLaren

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 05 Jul 2020, 11:33 am

McLaren wrote:Remember how people wouldn't accept that if you filmed every player as much as Tiger they would come off a lot worse than him. Tiger had almost every shot filmed and never behaved as petulantly as bryson.

He can be pretty petulant though. Frequently swears and spits, and then there is that face which is the very epitomy of misery.
Never looks like he is enjoying himself.
If you're a golfer, expect to be filmed, unless of course you're a European on the PGA coverage. Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 05 Jul 2020, 12:18 pm

All BDC has to do to not get filmed is to start missing cuts. Pretty simple. It's in his control.

Two pretty unconventional swings at the top at the start of round 4.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 05 Jul 2020, 9:58 pm

Bryson playing awesome today, looks nailed on for the victory.

Edit: things looking more interesting now.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jul 2020, 11:05 pm

Hard to see how he isn’t going to compete every week on the PGA tour courses

Be interesting to see how he fares at the majors with this approach
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 05 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

Final round 65 is mighty impressive. Big win for the big guy on the big tour. Actually, putted well, too.

Not sure he can overpower any major course/set up save for Augusta.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jul 2020, 6:13 am

Shotrock wrote:Final round 65 is mighty impressive. Big win for the big guy on the big tour. Actually, putted well, too.

Provided the weather is not that bad he has a very good chance at every "British" Open venue. Someone of his length could easily shoot 59 at TOC.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 06 Jul 2020, 7:45 am

super_realist wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Final round 65 is mighty impressive. Big win for the big guy on the big tour. Actually, putted well, too.

Provided the weather is not that bad he has a very good chance at every "British" Open venue. Someone of his length could easily shoot 59 at TOC.
He could be the man to shoot 240 for the week
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Jul 2020, 8:12 am

He's gonna hit like a 450 yard drive on the par five 2nd at Augusta if he keeps it straight to catch the downslope.

Should also be noted he was #1 in putting through the field this past week - so it's not like he's some one trick pony either!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jul 2020, 9:29 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:

He could be the man to shoot 240 for the week

Why not, if I can shoot 66 around there, why couldn't he shoot 60x4.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 06 Jul 2020, 10:30 am

GPB wrote:Dechambeau is certainly playing better after gaining 30-40 pounds
And his diet, if he is to be believed, is abysmal! All protein and a few carbs. No fruit and veg (so he must be taking vitamin supplements) and he can’t add up. He reckons he eats 3500 calories a day? Experts have calculated more like 7000 to 8000 which in anyone’s language is downright unhealthy Rolling Eyes A heart attack waiting to happen, if other organ failure doesn’t get him first. A terrible role model for young golfers tempted to do the same. And as for his swing - how long will his back stand up?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jul 2020, 10:37 am

LadyPutt wrote:
GPB wrote:Dechambeau is certainly playing better after gaining 30-40 pounds
And his diet, if he is to be believed, is abysmal! All protein and a few carbs. No fruit and veg (so he must be taking vitamin supplements) and he can’t add up. He reckons he eats 3500 calories a day? Experts have calculated more like 7000 to 8000 which in anyone’s language is downright unhealthy Rolling Eyes A heart attack waiting to happen, if other organ failure doesn’t get him first. A terrible role model for young golfers tempted to do the same. And as for his swing - how long will his back stand up?

Correct, 3500 calories would not lead to the weight gain he has shown.
At that rate he'd need about 70-80 weeks to gain 40 lbs as it's only 1000 excess calories for a male of his age.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 06 Jul 2020, 11:30 am

The bodybuilding diets are killers. All protein and not much else. Makes you look good, but does your insides in.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Jul 2020, 11:32 am

super

I thought it couldn't get any more miserable for you, and then we find out you are a calorie counter.

On BDC, for all the hype around his drives what seems really important is that he is a great putter. Rory isn't that far behind him off the tee using a normal swing but his short game and putting is pretty poor for a OWGR#1. Does anyone know if Rory has ever finished a tournament ranked #1 in putting?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jul 2020, 11:32 am

beninho wrote:The bodybuilding diets are killers. All protein and not much else. Makes you look good, but does your insides in.
Used to know one, all he used to eat was George Foreman'd Chicken and Brocolli.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Jul 2020, 11:33 am

McLaren wrote:super

I thought it couldn't get any more miserable for you, and then we find out you are a calorie counter.

On BDC, for all the hype around his drives what seems really important is that he is a great putter. Rory isn't that far behind him off the tee using a normal swing but his short game and putting is pretty poor for a OWGR#1. Does anyone know if Rory has ever finished a tournament ranked #1 in putting?

Not a calorie counter Mac, just know how much energy is in a pound.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Jul 2020, 12:35 am

BdC can hardly have had time to practise his golf game with the time that must have been spent in the gym? #deerantlerspray?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 07 Jul 2020, 2:09 am

Hardly practiced??

Practiced enough to win.

#wackyconspiracytheory

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jul 2020, 7:22 am

pedro wrote:BdC can hardly have had time to practise his golf game with the time that must have been spent in the gym? #deerantlerspray?

Maybe just prays like Rev Spieth, Moses Simpson and Bible Watson.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Jul 2020, 7:41 am

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:BdC can hardly have had time to practise his golf game with the time that must have been spent in the gym? #deerantlerspray?

Maybe just prays like Rev Spieth, Moses Simpson and Bible Watson.

That is so funny. Top class bantz. I love how you change the first nanes to sonething religious. So clever and witty. I'm in awe of your comedic skills.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jul 2020, 7:50 am

No more ridiculous than the names they actually have

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Jul 2020, 8:02 am

super_realist wrote:No more ridiculous than the names they actually have

James, Gerry and Jordan all seem pretty inoffensive to me.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Jul 2020, 8:12 am

There's no James or Gerry on the Trophies they've won.
Being called Bubba or Webb is as sad as being called Tiger or Boo.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Jul 2020, 8:53 am

Why does it bother you?

Personally, its so very minor, to being irrelevant. Yet, you keep banging on about it.

Is it just golfers? Or anyone that uses a middle or nickname that upsets you?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Jul 2020, 10:17 am

super_realist wrote:There's no James or Gerry on the Trophies they've won.
I dont think people can be blamed for their nicknames as they're usually applied by others. Did you ever have a nickname super? I was called Murt growing up, which isn't much of a leap from my actual name.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Jul 2020, 2:01 pm

I have never known an adult that was so bothered by superficial attributes as SR

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Jul 2020, 2:24 pm

GPB wrote:I have never known an adult that was so bothered by superficial attributes as SR

It is odd, it is like he has to find something about everyone to criticise and write them off as worthy on whatever his scale of judging people is.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 08 Jul 2020, 6:47 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:There's no James or Gerry on the Trophies they've won.
I dont think people can be blamed for their nicknames as they're usually applied by others. Did you ever have a nickname super? I was called Murt growing up, which isn't much of a leap from my actual name.

If you didn't like it why use it. I'm sure your golf club doesn't have that on any Trophies.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next