The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Watch: Six Nations Report

+53
RDW
nlpnlp
Dolphin Ziggler
Hazel Sapling
monty junior
Rugby Fan
Old Man
EST
mountain man
chris_501
Cyril
Noble-Surfer
Brendan
No9
doctor_grey
T15
Collapse2005
TightHEAD
Jimmy Moz
hugehandoff
R!skysports
westisbest
Maine man
TJ
Engine#4
flyhalffactory
formerly known as Sam
BigTrevsbigmac
Mr Bounce
king_carlos
RiscaGame
alive555
Sgt_Pooly
BigGee
Oakdene
Soul Requiem
miltonkeynesengland
Poorfour
mikey_dragon
geoff999rugby
Geordie
bsando
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
BamBam
asoreleftshoulder
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
majesticimperialman
theslosty
LordDowlais
whatahitson
57 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Lions Watch: Six Nations Report - Page 3 Empty Lions Watch: Six Nations Report

Post by whatahitson Sun 14 Mar 2021, 5:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well we're nearly done with the Six Nations so if the Lions goes ahead who do you like the look of and who do you think will be touring?

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Lions Watch: Six Nations Report - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions Watch: Six Nations Report

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 16 Mar 2021, 8:13 pm

The Oracle wrote:I don’t think it’s amusing per se. I think it’s natural and expected.

Very true. I am not convinced by May's form this season myself (and I am an England fan) and whilst I recognise Adams' ability to score tries there's something about the way he carries himself that just doesn't sit well with me. Can't put my finger on it - it's probably because I am an England fan laughing

I still think barring injury that Gatland will choose both of them, and if Adams scores the try that wins us the series, I will cheer him as loudly as anyone.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Lions Watch: Six Nations Report - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions Watch: Six Nations Report

Post by Guest Tue 16 Mar 2021, 8:18 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I don’t think it’s amusing per se. I think it’s natural and expected.

Very true. I am not convinced by May's form this season myself (and I am an England fan) and whilst I recognise Adams' ability to score tries there's something about the way he carries himself that just doesn't sit well with me. Can't put my finger on it - it's probably because I am an England fan laughing  

I still think barring injury that Gatland will choose both of them, and if Adams scores the try that wins us the series, I will cheer him as loudly as anyone.

Haha, yes and the same for me if May does that!

I know what you mean about the way Adams carries himself. He looks a bit ‘aggro’. I think he’s just pumped though. Don’t think he’s a niggly player really. Funnily enough I feel the same about May at times. Like the other day with that way over the top screaming and beating his chest or whatever he did when he thought (incorrectly) that England had won a turnover. Calm down, son! It was like he’d won the World Cup! But I expect he was just ‘pumped’ too. Pumped is probably seen as being great if it’s your player but incredibly annoying if it’s done by one of the opposition!

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Tue 16 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm

Has anyone claimed May has an attitude problem?

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

Someone did earlier in the thread yes. Not sure who.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 16 Mar 2021, 9:17 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Watson defensive positioning leaves something to be desired

May is a poor kicker, also he seems to have attitude problem.
I hastened to say not in terms of commitment but he gets down when things are going right.

They are weaknesses to me

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Tue 16 Mar 2021, 10:13 pm

Ok one person. I wasn't sure as it mentioned posters in the plural. I don't think May has an attitude problem, quite the opposite. Just a bit of strange by all accounts.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Tue 16 Mar 2021, 10:17 pm

Big news about CJ Stander retiring. His ball carrying will be a big loss for Ireland. It sounds like he sees the Lions tour as his swansong, if it goes ahead, which would be a nice note to go out on given he'll be playing against South Africa.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 17 Mar 2021, 6:18 am

whatahitson wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
whatahitson wrote:I also think Maitland is perhaps a bit too long in the tooth for a back 3 player. If he's going to take a Kiwi in this position it'll be James Lowe.

Have you watched Lowe this 6N? Nowhere near.....

Yes very good in attack big clearing boot and pretty much the only Irish player that posed any real threat against defences other than Italy.

Let's just wash over his turnstile defence Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 17 Mar 2021, 6:23 am

Really struggle to get on board with any of your points regarding May. I was far from his biggest fan but he's won me over, as he has most England fans. He's arguably been our most consistent performer of the last 4 years.

Sgt_Pooly

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Mar 2021, 8:12 am

Ronan O'Gara's brutal assessment of James Lowe:

https://rugbyonslaught.com/ronan-ogara-gives-brutally-honest-assessment-of-james-lowe-for-ireland/

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 17 Mar 2021, 8:32 am

This is the bit I was on about that Gatland said about Liam Williams, in his book. He was also critical of him going low on SBW, for the Blues winning try, which I thought was pretty harsh having just watched it again (SBW does a good little step just before). Gatland wanted him to take man and ball.

Gatland wrote:We know that Liam is an exciting, talented player but every now and then he makes a poor decision which has resulted in a penalty or yellow card, as we saw in the Blues game. This has been costly in the past. I spoke to him about an incident in the Crusaders game, where it appears he has put a forearm into the back of a Crusaders player on the ground, after slipping a tackle. I told him: 'If the TMO sees that, it's a yellow card.' Liam was adamant that it was unintentional, but it didn't appear that way to me or anyone else I showed the clip to.
So I said to him; 'Look we've picked you, but you've got to keep a cool head. You've got to be calm and your decision making has got to be right.' I highlighted a chipped kick he opted for last night off a turnover, when he hadn't scanned the pitch. He should've put the ball through the hands, gone himself or kicked long. I said: 'You're better than that.'
But he caused the Chiefs problems with his footwork and we just feel that if we're going to beat the All Blacks, we have to unlock them with a bit of magic from our players.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Mar 2021, 8:43 am

Ta very much for that Risca. He's certainly a prickly player with the occasional sly dig but on the whole I don't mind it. Everyone plays the game a bit differently (doesn't mean I wouldn't complain about it when he does it against an English player!). The middle bit. thats just good coaching isn't it, helping the player reflect on performances. For me he was and remains head and shoulders above Halfpenny, even with the red mist every so often. I'd be happy for either him or Hogg for the Lions, my preference is Hogg as I think he's probably the best around at the moment.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:12 am

Yeah, I think you’ve just got to take him as he is. It’s evident since Williams has come back into the Wales team, that we carry a bit more of a threat in our back three (Adams being in over Amos helps too).

I don’t think Gatland would ever want Liam Williams to lose his edge and he’s pretty nailed on to tour (in my opinion), but I do think he may have things like that (and his ban leading into the tournament) in the back of his mind, in borderline test match selections.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:14 am

I really like Liam Williams as a player, when you take a backward step and look at it objectively he's bloody brilliant. He's a combative nuisance which is rarely a bad thing.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:24 am

RiscaGame wrote:Yeah, I think you’ve just got to take him as he is. It’s evident since Williams has come back into the Wales team, that we carry a bit more of a threat in our back three (Adams being in over Amos helps too).

I don’t think Gatland would ever want Liam Williams to lose his edge and he’s pretty nailed on to tour (in my opinion), but I do think he may have things like that (and his ban leading into the tournament) in the back of his mind, in borderline test match selections.

Linking in to what Oracle was saying about how we rate our own players is how we rate those players who you feel cause the most problems. For me with Wales the back that I respect the most is Williams, because he is consistently capable of causing damage. A player like North is a one trick pony. It is a hell of a trick, but if you can shut him down before he builds up any speed and he's not so dangerous. Doesn't work with Williams.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:38 am

I think playing North as a centre may help him. He's obviously a big lad, but I do agree he didn't seem to use his size as often on the wing, if he was shut down. He seems to be carrying better at the minute, in tighter spaces.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:56 am

Gatland is obviously on secondment from his blistering start in NZ rugby to scout players, and he's been doing so since last year. Previously he's placed a good deal of weighting to 6 nations form in public while picking injured players also, so I'll struggle to say what games he's specifically looking at. One point which is always mentioned is the team of coaches selecting players and perhaps the reason why Sottish players have been left behind, indeed Gatland himself mentioned it. Brings me to thinking why coaches have yet to be identified. We're well into professional environments now, surely the Lions should have their team together even if those supporting coaches are still with their clubs/international teams?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 17 Mar 2021, 11:24 am

The decision on when, where & if the Lions tour happens is sometime this month.
If & when it gets the green light I am sure the coaching team will be named then or very shortly afterwards.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Mar 2021, 11:34 am

RiscaGame wrote:I think playing North as a centre may help him. He's obviously a big lad, but I do agree he didn't seem to use his size as often on the wing, if he was shut down. He seems to be carrying better at the minute, in tighter spaces.

Problem has always been trying to get the ball into North's hands. His workrate off the wing has always been poor which is a shame because he's so fast and powerful coming off the inside shoulder (as made famous by Ashton but done by so many) or late to the line he'd breeze past anything that wasn't a good tackle. Which when you come late to the line at pace the defence struggle to line up. 

At 13 he might benefit from a lack of top quality and a lot of players with injuries or injury history in terms of Lions selection. His defensive positioning looks a bit ropey to me, very much like a winger defending the 13 channel. He's fast so can recover but up against a good 13 he could be exposed. If he can keep Vakatawa quiet Vs France then that will show he's learning well how to defend at 13, it is the hardest position to defend on the field.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 17 Mar 2021, 12:25 pm

Apart from one occasion where North rushed up out of the line and exposed us (versus England), he's been good in defence. The backline defence seems to revolve around him as he's pretty good at covering the wider channels. TBH I don't have much faith in our defence coping with the ABs attack, as our defence is too slow and their wingers are out of this world.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Mar 2021, 12:41 pm

lostinwales wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Yeah, I think you’ve just got to take him as he is. It’s evident since Williams has come back into the Wales team, that we carry a bit more of a threat in our back three (Adams being in over Amos helps too).

Linking in to what Oracle was saying about how we rate our own players is how we rate those players who you feel cause the most problems. For me with Wales the back that I respect the most is Williams, because he is consistently capable of causing damage. A player like North is a one trick pony. It is a hell of a trick, but if you can shut him down before he builds up any speed and he's not so dangerous. Doesn't work with Williams.

It's always been one of life's mysteries to me how someone like Liam Williams, all skin and bone, can seem to make yards and get over the gainline in heavy traffic, yes someone the size and shape of Adam Jones could never EVER make yards and just went down like someone had tied his laces even against the smallest of tacklers!

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Mar 2021, 1:27 pm

Well, according to Johnny Sexton, Wales players will dominate the Lions. Make of that what you will. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Mar 2021, 1:46 pm

Expected. it's Gatland.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 17 Mar 2021, 2:04 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Well, according to Johnny Sexton, Wales players will dominate the Lions. Make of that what you will. Very Happy

Dependent, he says, IF Wales complete the Grand Slam.
The title, as usual, from click bait wol is misleading.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Mar 2021, 2:12 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Well, according to Johnny Sexton, Wales players will dominate the Lions. Make of that what you will. Very Happy

Dependent, he says, IF Wales complete the Grand Slam.
The title, as usual, from click bait wol is misleading.

I hate that sort of thinking. A win and a loss can be a bounce of a ball or blade of grass into touch. Realistically a game could end 21-23 or 24-23 and the only difference be Kurtley Beale slipping on his arse; hardly changes the qualities of the players (you should have been analysing for the past year at least).

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 17 Mar 2021, 7:11 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
whatahitson wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
whatahitson wrote:I also think Maitland is perhaps a bit too long in the tooth for a back 3 player. If he's going to take a Kiwi in this position it'll be James Lowe.

Have you watched Lowe this 6N? Nowhere near.....

Yes very good in attack big clearing boot and pretty much the only Irish player that posed any real threat against defences other than Italy.

Let's just wash over his turnstile defence Wink

Haha no I'm not denying that however where I do think a player like Lowe might come in to play is someone who has no real chance of playing in the tests but is picked for his versatility and quality against midweek teams (if that happens). A bit like Daly, he's so good in attack that you pick him, knowing he'll do more damage for you than against you, and the fact he can play in several different positions including full back goes in his favour.

I see Lowe as a replacement for Jared Payne basically in the 2017 tour. Was Payne ever going to play in tests? No probably not. But he could do a job in multiple positions and Lowe might just tour as a utility back given his qualities.

That said I looked up Maitland and he's only 32 for some reason I thought he was 34. I might have got him mixed up with Seymour as I thought Maitland retired from international rugby and then came back during the pandemic.

May has won me over as well but I'm just trying to be realistic. At the moment LRZ has come along and he's shown he can do what May does (ridiculous pace to score tries on the outside). The inexperience argument doesn't totally go in May's favour as well. Sometimes an unknown entity as the points scorer can be a potent weapon. May still has a clanger or two in his locker as well, that will never go away.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 17 Mar 2021, 7:17 pm

Not for me. After Scotland, they're the team that plays the least like Gatland will. Ireland England will dominate the tight 5 orwards, there will be a mix of all three and Hamish Watson in the back row, the half backs will be a similar situation coming from the main three, and then the backs will be Welsh and English, with a few Scots in there.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 17 Mar 2021, 7:21 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I think playing North as a centre may help him. He's obviously a big lad, but I do agree he didn't seem to use his size as often on the wing, if he was shut down. He seems to be carrying better at the minute, in tighter spaces.

Problem has always been trying to get the ball into North's hands. His workrate off the wing has always been poor which is a shame because he's so fast and powerful coming off the inside shoulder (as made famous by Ashton but done by so many) or late to the line he'd breeze past anything that wasn't a good tackle. Which when you come late to the line at pace the defence struggle to line up. 

At 13 he might benefit from a lack of top quality and a lot of players with injuries or injury history in terms of Lions selection. His defensive positioning looks a bit ropey to me, very much like a winger defending the 13 channel. He's fast so can recover but up against a good 13 he could be exposed. If he can keep Vakatawa quiet Vs France then that will show he's learning well how to defend at 13, it is the hardest position to defend on the field.

Agree I thought England should have made more of North's defensive weaknesses than they did. He was a liability and has been able to cover his defensive lapses with more attacking impact. With the way Wales are trying to play, and how often the wingers are touching the ball in attacking positions compared to how they did under Gatland, you'd think he would be an ideal winger. I suppose the problem Wales has is they have 3 or 4 top class wingers and almost no centres. Of the centres they've capped since Gatland left, all of them have been non-Welsh (Haloholo, Tompkins, Johnny Williams). That says it all, North at 13 is an emergency situation. If the Lions end up with North at 13 it will be like Mike Phillips and Bowe playing centre: a last ditch solution to injuries.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 17 Mar 2021, 7:26 pm

On the topic of coaches, given than Townsend has come out and said he wants to go (presumably as attack coach) I wonder how this could impact the balance of the tour and a player like Russell's chances of making the squad.

For me, Scotland play completely different rugby to what Gatland has shown so far in his career. It might be a clash of styles and it's an odd situation where in the last Gatland was clearly the top dog and usually went on a Lions tour after a good season with Wales a year or two beforehand. Now, Gatland's out of the European picture, he will have head coaches not just assistant coaches going with him, and if Wales win the Grand Slam or even just the tournament they will have done so immediately after their worst period of rugby in nearly 20 years and with huge strokes of luck in the first three games.

Townsend on tour could make room for a player like Huw Jones though. He's undeniably talented with ball in hand and a real physical threat with his height, balance, gait, and leg speed. I just wonder whether it will work with Gatland's more pragmatic style of coaching, as well as from a logistical perspective as consistency and maintaining experience and trust in relationships seemed to be what Gatland brought to the Lions after the near miss of the 2009 tour.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 17 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm

The Oracle wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

It's always been one of life's mysteries to me how someone like Liam Williams, all skin and bone, can seem to make yards and get over the gainline in heavy traffic, yes someone the size and shape of Adam Jones could never EVER make yards and just went down like someone had tied his laces even against the smallest of tacklers!

Without stating the obvious, I think there's a big difference between being fat and being strong. Adam Jones was an unreal prop for the laws at the time but as soon as the laws changed to take away the hit, which was a lot about body weight, then he became very weak. You'd have to assume Jones didn't have excellent core strength which would give him a powerful leg drive or explosive power. That would be where someone like Ellis Genge comes in to play. Liam Williams looks like he's made of elastic and presumably has very good core strength and balance.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 18 Mar 2021, 9:49 am

Soul Requiem wrote:

I hastened to say not in terms of commitment but he gets down when things are going right.

Just popped up on my twitter feed today.

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status/1372462964821925894?s=19

You can see from that video that May seems under prepared with an attitude problem and that the coaches are distinctly unimpressed.

No 7&1/2

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 18 Mar 2021, 10:39 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Just popped up on my twitter feed today.

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status/1372462964821925894?s=19

You can see from that video that May seems under prepared with an attitude problem and that the coaches are distinctly unimpressed.

I would say May is an ungainly kicker, but the ball usually ends up in the right place, despite it looking so awkward.

Last edited by WELL-PAST-IT on Fri 19 Mar 2021, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 18 Mar 2021, 10:40 am

mistake
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Fri 19 Mar 2021, 6:57 am

Another thing I think we'll see this time is very different test teams from week to week.

There might only be 8-10 players who are the core who play against the Springboks. That's your Itojes, your Hoggs, your Farrells. The rest will be rotated for inury and tactical approach just like POM was captain for the first test before bringing Warburton back in.

This is why I think AWJ is nailed on as the tour captain even if he only starts one or maybe no test matches. It's a very different tour in different circumstances.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 20 Mar 2021, 12:02 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:May showed just how class he is on Saturday.

He's the first choice winger for the lions.

May made more metres than anyone in the France game, and for the first time in a while was causing havoc on the kick chase. Watson was sublime. Both are complete players.

Complete players ???
Sorry that is nonsense
Good players yes, but there are other players as good if not better

There are no wingers available with a better all round game than either May or Watson, Adams is also in the conversation to tour.

I thought May was the best winger in world rugby last season, however this is not last season.

May (in an equal run) was absolutely burned by LRZ who was desperately unlucky not to score the try. His (May) defence has been questionable as well during the 6Ns, saying that his potential is unquestionable and when he's on his game he is without peers. It's a nightmare with such quality in depth, I mean how do you not pick the 2019 World Cup leading try scorer Adams or the ball carrying brute that is Duhan Van der Merwe who has scored four tries in eight Tests for Scotland and the way he sliced through the combo of Itoje/Wilson/Farrell like a hot knife through butter for his try was impressive

At this point I would go
15 Hogg / Williams / 1/2p or Maitland
14 LRZ / Watson / Earls
11 May / Adams / DVdM
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:30 pm

Without starting a massive argument, how can Gatland justify a large English contingent after today's English performance?

Ireland have totally outplayed England despite a red card and now a yellow. Wales comfortably won against England as did Scotland despite the closer scoreline. England have been ill disciplined in all of their games against the home nations rivals. They've just not been playing well for whatever reason apart from last weekend against France.  

Surely this could be the lowest English Lions representation in the professional era? Or will Gatland see it differently?

Last edited by bsando on Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:34 pm

Because Gatland will probably get more out of them. They’re good players, just poorly coached.

A lot of English players thrived in NZ under Gatland. He will remember that at least.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:34 pm

bsando wrote:Without starting a massive argument, how can Gatland justify a large English contingent after today's English performance?

Ireland have totally outplayed England despite a red card and now a yellow. Wales comfortably won against England as did Scotland despite the closer scoreline. England have been ill disciplined in all of their games against the home nations rivals.  They've just not been playing well for whatever reason apart from last weekend against France.  

Surely this could be the lowest English Lions representation in the professional era? Or will Gatland see it differently?

You can't on todays performance. Hes had the last 6 months off to analyse players though? If it were literally based on this tournament or this game why did he have that? That said it's exactly what he did in 2013..

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:35 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Because Gatland will probably get more out of them. They’re good players, just poorly coached.

A lot of English players thrived in NZ under Gatland. He will remember that at least.

Rubbish. Gatland can't touch Jones as a coach.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:36 pm

In your opinion.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:37 pm

The 6 Nations should be the ultimate testing ground really, It's got all the head to heads, it's where you'd expect the close calls to be made.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:12 pm

From an Irish perspective I think we will see at most;

Furlong - best tighthead of the 4 nations.
Ryan - does it all.
Beirne - in the form of his life. Can play second-row or backrow.
Stander - physically effective. In better form than Vunipola.
Murray - lack of competition outside of Wales.
Henshaw - form 12 of the 4 nations.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Because Gatland will probably get more out of them. They’re good players, just poorly coached.

Errmmm - after todays performance from England? EJ must take a lot of the blame for them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:37 pm

Engine#4 wrote:From an Irish perspective I think we will see at most;

Ryan - does it all.

I think Henderson, Porter will both be in with a shout. Possibly Ringrose due to the lack/poor form of outside centres.
And after today, I can see Sexton touring.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:37 pm

TJ wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Errmmm - after todays performance from England?  EJ must take a lot of the blame for them

You're absolutely correct. If you judge Jones on today only, Gatland s performance on not having a team places him head and shoulders above.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:38 pm

Ryan - does it all.

I think Henderson, Porter will both be in with a shout. Possibly Ringrose due to the lack/poor form of outside centres.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 20 Mar 2021, 7:51 pm

I really rate Will Connors as well in the back row.

On the last tour the squad had 8 back rows and 5 second rows. We might see 7 back rows and 6 locks for an SA tour though. Particularly when several prominent locks can cover blindside very well.

Faletau, Curry, Stander and Watson should be nailed on in the back row. Then there's a lot of competition from players with different strengths. Tipuric, Navidi, Underhill, Ritchie and Connors are all quality players.

I know some on here don't rate him but I really like Josh van der Flier too.

Given his versatility I reckon Navidi should have a great shot.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat 20 Mar 2021, 8:03 pm

If the squad was picked tomorrow I'd expect to see Furlong, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, Stander, Murray, Sexton and Henshaw named. Healy and Ringrose stand a chance too. Even Herring has gone a bit under the radar but he's probably been the best thrower in the tournament if Gatland puts emphasis on that. POM I still rate but will probably need some inspirational performances for Munster in the coming weeks.

Keith Earls finally got the chance to show what he's about in an Ireland jersey today. He's been doing that for Munster for the past 5 years but Ireland play with so little width he rarely gets a chance to show it. Wing is quite competitive and I would be surprised if Gatland selects him but he's given himself a chance with his last 2 or 3 performances.

I feel that individually most of the Ireland players have performed well which is strange given the mood was quite low until today. But I suppose POM and Billy Burns cameos vs Wales aside the only poor performance was against France, and in fairness that day we were dealing with a long injury list.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 20 Mar 2021, 9:02 pm

Maine man wrote:

Ryan - does it all.

Connors to prehaps.
Stockdale to maybe. I know he’s only played one game this tournament, but on his day is a very good player.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun 21 Mar 2021, 1:40 pm

bsando wrote:Without starting a massive argument, how can Gatland justify a large English contingent after today's English performance?

Ireland have totally outplayed England despite a red card and now a yellow. Wales comfortably won against England as did Scotland despite the closer scoreline. England have been ill disciplined in all of their games against the home nations rivals. They've just not been playing well for whatever reason apart from last weekend against France.  

If based on this 6nations I agree

Coming a very poor 5th playing terrible rugby . Struggle to see any of their players. Even Itogi has flattered to decide and been a penalty machine.

However it won’t and they will still have a lot there

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next