The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST Empty SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:20 am

SURREY HAVE NAMED A SQUAD OF 15 FOR MONDAY’S VITALITY BLAST MEETING WITH ESSEX EAGLES AT THE KIA OVAL.
Rory Burns is now available for selection after being given an extended break following the Test series v New Zealand.
Jade Dernbach is named in a squad for the first time this year.
Gus Atkinson is also available after recovering from a knee injury.
Ollie Pope will not be available to play cricket until the 24th of June having had contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. He will now have to self-isolate until that time.
Sam Curran, Tom Curran & Jason Roy have joined up with the England white-ball squad ahead of the upcoming series with Sri Lanka.
Liam Plunkett, Nico Reifer, James Taylor, Nick Kimber, Reece Topley and Ben Foakes remain on the treatment table.  Rolling Eyes  
FULL SQUAD:
Gareth Batty (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Rory Burns
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Jade Dernbach
Matt Dunn
Laurie Evans
Ben Geddes
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Interesting that Batty is still captain with Dernbach back in the side.  Headscratch
Maybe Atkinson, Dunn, Geddes and Patel to miss out, would still leave us 7 bowlers and strengthen the batting line up.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:23 am

Cheers, JimBob. Tricky to get the 4 missing out. You may well be right although I think there's a chance Geddes will play.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX EAGLES/ SOMERSET T20 VITALITY BLAST

Post by James100 Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:04 am

Agree with you guys' thoughts on the side, I expect Burns to pip Geddes as the only left handed batter.

Roy -> Amla
SCurran -> Burns
TCurran -> Dernbach

all look like pretty significant step downs to me, both batting and bowling weakened

Last edited by James100 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:14 am

Why on earth would we play Burns and Amla ahead of Evans?? This game has already gone but going to be a massive struggle with these useless medium pace bowlers, going to be chasing 200+ every game if we continue to play them

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 am

Jordan Clark bowls 4 separate wide balls to finish it....classy

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am

Fortunately I was elsewhere tonight. A weakened team but a feeble performance looking at the scores.

Goochie - Surrey twitter referred to Evans being sick. He's not alone! Shocked

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:17 am

Yet again the batting order was wrong if Burns doesn't bat in the top 3 there is no point in playing him in this competition. Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 pm

You can say it of any county side really, but man what a drop off when we lose 4/5 of our starting XI in this competition - in every facet of the game, including in the field. (Trying to "hide" Batty, Amla and Dernbach)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 am

Unchanged squad for Somerset
Evans back in for?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:You can say it of any county side really, but man what a drop off when we lose 4/5 of our starting XI in this competition - in every facet of the game, including in the field. (Trying to "hide" Batty, Amla and Dernbach)

And although Clarke can still catch, he can no longer run.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Unchanged squad for Somerset
Evans back in for?

I'll suggest Burns.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:34 am

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Unchanged squad for Somerset
Evans back in for?

I'll suggest Burns.

I'll suggest Geddes just to bring some excitement to the selection decision

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:43 am

I'll suggest Amla just for having the cheek to wear a sunhat in those conditions Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:51 pm

I'd play Evans for Dernbach! 3 slow bowlers bowl 12 overs, then Clark(e)'s and Overton bowl the other 8 between them, they can't bowl any worse than Dernbach, and all 3 will certainly give us more chance of runs in the batting department

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:10 am

Evans in for amla
Atkinson in for Clarke (shoulder injury)
Batty losses toss yet again Rolling Eyes
We are batting

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:16 am

Atkinson and Dernbach playing??!! We'll need over 200

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:37 am

Yet again burns not opening the batting. Give me strength

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 am

Jack Leach’s first ever T20 tonight!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:13 am

Burns in at 6 picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:31 am

Batty’s captaincy doing my head in, Jacks bowls a maiden and doesn’t get another over on a spinning wicket?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:38 am

11 overs in, Batty has bowled one over for 3 runs - you don’t have to give everyone a game Gareth, bowl yourself ffs! The seamers are going at well over 11 an over!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:39 am

Time to retire Dernbach
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:43 am

If you take Jacks runs out, the other 8 scored 71 off 77 balls, and then as I told everyone earlier, we've got the likes of Dernbach to bowl.....I was very conservative with my 200 estimate

thegooch7

jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Batty’s captaincy doing my head in, Jacks bowls a maiden and doesn’t get another over on a spinning wicket?

This.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:11 overs in, Batty has bowled one over for 3 runs - you don’t have to give everyone a game Gareth, bowl yourself ffs! The seamers are going at well over 11 an over!

And this.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:29 pm

Agree with you guys, no excuse not to be bowling 12 overs of spin every game with this side.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 pm

James100 wrote:Agree with you guys, no excuse not to be bowling 12 overs of spin every game with this side.

Not even 12 overs, I am fairly sure we are yet to have both Moriarty and Batty both bowl their full 8 between them in an innings yet! Doh furious

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 pm

I was there last night. We were obviously fielding a weakened team but our performance - Jacks apart - was still very poor.

You are not going to win many t20s at the Oval by putting 146 on the board. Always seemed at least 20 light and, as Goochie suggested, it would have been a total disaster without Jacks' 65.

I didn't realise at the time that Leach was making his t20 debut. He seemed pretty assured as he bagged 3 wickets courtesy of some good catching. Absolute blinder from Ben Green running back from mid on and diving in front of the Peter May boundary to get rid of Smith. Try and see that on the highlights.

However, make sure you're watching from behind the sofa for Evans' run out! picard
Just stopped mid track expecting to be caught close in, wasn't with the chance dropping just short but left himself stranded as the ball came in and the bails were whipped off. Awful!

Somerset generally looked an organised outfit. C Overton and Waller both bowled consistently well, the latter's leg spin bamboozling Geddes for an easy caught and bowled.

Someset never really looked threatened in reaching their target, well marshalled by Hildreth's unbeaten 70 odd. Spin as in previous games seemed the way to go but Batty didn't take that path as much as he should have done and even when he did, he was too keen to try and mix things up. Taking Jacks off after bowling one maiden made no sense to me. If a bowler has found early rhythm, let him keep it and try to exploit it. Poor captaincy imo.

And finally ... quite where Dernbach was meant to fit in, I don't know! His bowling was bad but what was he doing in the side anyway coming on in the 11th over as our 7th bowler?

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down