The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only)

+14
Fluxy
thebandwagonsociety
Sharkey06
Cyril
tigertattie
Soul Requiem
jimbopip
lostinwales
Sgt_Pooly
flyhalffactory
TJ
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
R!skysports
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only) - Page 3 Empty Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only)

Post by R!skysports Thu 08 Jul 2021, 9:23 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All

I thought would be quite fun to see who has put their had up for a test spot and if anyone has gone backwards. This is based just on Lions performances (and I know this will change (if) more matches are played

So putting hands straight up

H Watson
Bigger
Rory Sutherland
Hogg
Williams
Itoje
Luke Cowan Dickie
Harris
Adams
VdMerwe
Price

Walking to the door
Vunipola
Murray
Farrell

Last edited by R!skysports on Thu 15 Jul 2021, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updating teams)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only) - Page 3 Empty Re: Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only)

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:07 pm

MichaelT wrote:Gatlands Wales played South Africa 14 times and won 5. I am not sure that is having the measure of them during his run. When South Africa had their dip after RWC 2015 until Erasmus took over there was a good deal of success, but most teams beat South Africa then. This is a completely different team with their mindset, tactics, selection policy and form.

I also think the Japan method works because they have better half-backs, which is something - particularly scrum-half - we are lacking. Conor Murray doesn't worry the fringe defence, Gareth Davies and Ali Price aren't consistent enough but are quicker. Farrell and Biggar aren't running threats and Russell looks to be injured. Not sure Smith is the answer either but he's been playing and is there for cover for the first two now I feel. With the lack of remaining games, he might not even get a match day squad place.

Discount 1 of those wins as Howley was in charge covering the Lions I think.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only) - Page 3 Empty Re: Your Current Test Lions (tour performance only)

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:20 pm

MichaelT wrote:Gatlands Wales played South Africa 14 times and won 5. I am not sure that is having the measure of them during his run. When South Africa had their dip after RWC 2015 until Erasmus took over there was a good deal of success, but most teams beat South Africa then. This is a completely different team with their mindset, tactics, selection policy and form.

Tramptastic wrote:It always comes down to the discussion of how you play an opponent - match them at their strengths, thereby maybe playing in to their game or play around their strengths (The Japan Method).

I also think the Japan method works for Japan because they have better half-backs for a quicker game, which is something - particularly scrum-half - we are lacking. Conor Murray doesn't worry the fringe defence, Gareth Davies and Ali Price aren't consistent enough but are quicker. Farrell and Biggar aren't running threats and Russell looks to be injured. Not sure Smith is the answer either but he's been playing and is there for cover for the first two now I feel. With the lack of remaining games, he might not even get a match day squad place.

Why are you going back 14 years ? Thats a little far isn't it ? We were all but in turmoil before Gats took over and made us more professional.

Lets look at more recent history, Wales have won 5 of the last 7 meetings, and every game has been close, with one or two points in them, accept for the game in 2016 where Wales won by 14pts.

In fact, all the games during Gatlands tenure with Wales have been very close affairs, compare that to any other team in the NH and it really does seem as though Gats has a "way" of playing the Boks.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm

Wales beat South Africa when SA were not at their best? Hmmm. Were Wales at their best the times South Africa beat them?! Of course not!

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:25 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Tramptastic wrote:It always comes down to the discussion of how you play an opponent - match them at their strengths, thereby maybe playing in to their game or play around their strengths (The Japan Method).

I also think the Japan method works for Japan because they have better half-backs for a quicker game, which is something - particularly scrum-half - we are lacking. Conor Murray doesn't worry the fringe defence, Gareth Davies and Ali Price aren't consistent enough but are quicker. Farrell and Biggar aren't running threats and Russell looks to be injured. Not sure Smith is the answer either but he's been playing and is there for cover for the first two now I feel. With the lack of remaining games, he might not even get a match day squad place.

Why are you going back 14 years ? Thats a little far isn't it ? We were all but in turmoil before Gats took over and made us more professional.

Lets look at more recent history, Wales have won 5 of the last 7 meetings, and every game has been close, with one or two points in them, accept for the game in 2016 where Wales won by 14pts.

In fact, all the games during Gatlands tenure with Wales have been very close affairs, compare that to any other team in the NH and it really does seem as though Gats has a "way" of playing the Boks.

So as long as you discount the ones you don't want mentioned yeah it's class.

For comparison Ireland have won 3 out of 5 but includes 3 away games.

England 2 out of 5 including 3 away games and a neutral ground.

Scotlan, well none. 2 neutral 2 away.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

You said during Gatlands time, so thats why I went back to 2008. What you should have said was from 2014 to 2018 Wales had the measure of them. To me having the measure is winning at least 4 out of 5 games, which you had from the period I just mentioned there I think. And yes I believe from 2016 to 2017 (Erasmus first game was June 2018 v England if I remember rightly) that most people would say South Africa had a real lull and drop in performances. Italy beat them as well. Certainly not the same team that won the world cup.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:45 pm

Englands record is not so good during the same period, neither is Scotland's or Irelands, so I do not think your argument holds much water, and that is not to say Wales are better, other results against other teams would say different, I just think Gatland has got South Africa's number thats all.

Very much the same as I think Eddie Jones has got Australia's number.

The team that beat Wales in the world cup was very fortunate, and the game had three points in it, the same team who walloped England in the final.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:53 pm

That point ignores quite a lot LD, notably where Wales played the games. 1 neutral, none away. Have Wales ever beaten SA away?

And lets not compare England to Wales in the World Cup. Wales didn't make the final.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:06 pm

No 7&1/2 I will reply to you this once, only to tell you I have you on ignore, so please do not waste your time trying to engage with me, as I am not interested in debating with you.

You would be better off trying to get a conversation out of one of the other members, I have asked the mods to let you know, obviously they havent, never mind, please take this as a polite reminder.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Englands record is not so good during the same period, neither is Scotland's or Irelands, so I do not think your argument holds much water, and that is not to say Wales are better, other results against other teams would say different, I just think Gatland has got South Africa's number thats all.

Very much the same as I think Eddie Jones has got Australia's number.

The team that beat Wales in the world cup was very fortunate, and the game had three points in it, the same team who walloped England in the final.

Where did I say that anyone else has a better record? I didn't. Thats just whataboutery. Nobody said England had a better record. England have a poor record v South Africa since 2006.

If we are going to talk about the world cup, I always hear this how Wales were only three points behind South Africa, and its then mentioned how England were 'walloped', with an implication being Wales were better because of those two results. No mention of how Wales scraped past France in the quarter final by a point, and that France were a man down. That never gets acknowledged. Wales were lucky to be in the semi-final in the first place in my opinion. They certainly didn't dominate like England did in their knock-out games.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:08 pm

LordDowlais wrote:No 7&1/2 I will reply to you this once, only to tell you I have you on ignore, so please do not waste your time trying to engage with me, as I am not interested in debating with you.

You would be better off trying to get a conversation out of one of the other members, I have asked the mods to let you know, obviously they havent, never mind, please take this as a polite reminder.

Just pointing out mistakes or ignorance. No problem not replying, you're not forced to.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:13 pm

Meanwhile back at the ranch

It's difficult to assess form as these "warm-up" games haven't actually been normal. I think after tomorrow's game we start putting names against numbers.

In my mind only Adams has secured a spot so far
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:18 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Meanwhile back at the ranch

It's difficult to assess form as these "warm-up" games haven't actually been normal. I think after tomorrow's game we start putting names against numbers.

In my mind only Adams has secured a spot so far

Yeah, I get that, I think Biggar and Murray are starters, as well, the rest are all up for grabs.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:34 pm

Biggar, Adams, Furlong, Mish and Hogg nailed on for me

Price jumping up and down with his hand in the air shouting " pick me pick me" he has been the best 9 so far Murray need to show some form but he has not had much chance

Vunipola is out

rest up for grabs

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:38 pm

Price is good, and he has been good in the warm ups, I just think he is a little bit to erratic. It's a shame we will not see him against decent opposition tomorrow, see what he is like against better sides, he didn't impress me in the 6N, but he has looked good so far on tour.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:55 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Price is good, and he has been good in the warm ups, I just think he is a little bit to erratic. It's a shame we will not see him against decent opposition tomorrow, see what he is like against better sides, he didn't impress me in the 6N, but he has looked good so far on tour.

Erratic was Gareth Davies the other day! Which was a shame as for years he has been one of Wales’ best players. This tour so far I have liked the look of Price. If we go with Biggar 10, he’s used to playing with more of a live wire, sniping, running, nippy little 9 for Wales (G Davies, Tomos Williams, Rhys Webb, etc.) so Price would be a nice fit in my opinion. I’m not sure how it would work with a bit of a slower more methodical 9 in Murray. And if it’s Murray-Biggar-Farrell........ we that’s far too stodgy for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:No 7&1/2 I will reply to you this once, only to tell you I have you on ignore, so please do not waste your time trying to engage with me, as I am not interested in debating with you.

If you have him on foe, you wouldn’t have seen the post you responded to, without opening it. I get the quote function will still show a foe’s posts, but nothing else will.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:40 pm

RiscaGame wrote:

If you have him on foe, you wouldn’t have seen the post you responded to, without opening it. I get the quote function will still show a foe’s posts, but nothing else will.

I did it, opened up his post, so that I could ask him if he can stop following me around and disrupting threads, but if you think he isn't doing anything wrong, then fair enough. I have asked for the MODS to tell him I have him on ignore as well mind.

At the risk of getting myself in trouble I will leave it. As I always seem to get on the wrong end of things when it comes to that member.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:41 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

Just pointing out mistakes or ignorance. No problem not replying, you're not forced to.

C'mon lads, just ignore each other.

LD...normally when you have somebody on ignore....you ignore them! You don't then constantly remind them they're on ignore.

I put the missus on ignore regularly, it works wonders for our relationship. Does she know she's on ignore....not a chance.

Sgt_Pooly

lostinwales, jimbopip and No 7&1/2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:42 pm

OK boys point taken.

LordDowlais

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:48 pm

More than welcome to practise with my posts LD, happy to help.

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Tue 13 Jul 2021, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 13 Jul 2021, 5:18 pm

Cheers Pooly. I don't have LD on ignore so I'll just chip and be ignored. Works for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 13 Jul 2021, 6:10 pm

The Oracle wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Price is good, and he has been good in the warm ups, I just think he is a little bit to erratic. It's a shame we will not see him against decent opposition tomorrow, see what he is like against better sides, he didn't impress me in the 6N, but he has looked good so far on tour.

Erratic was Gareth Davies the other day!  Which was a shame as for years he has been one of Wales’ best players.  This tour so far I have liked the look of Price.  If we go with Biggar 10, he’s used to playing with more of a live wire, sniping, running, nippy little 9 for Wales (G Davies, Tomos Williams, Rhys Webb, etc.) so Price would be a nice fit in my opinion.  I’m not sure how it would work with a bit of a slower more methodical 9 in Murray.  And if it’s Murray-Biggar-Farrell........ we that’s far too stodgy for me!

I have been disappointed with Gareth Davies he's been very subdued, even in the pre-tournament photo shoots he seemed like he didn't want to be there, I thought he had the best chance of grabbing a test start but now he is deffo 3rd in the queue.

TBH the nightmare scenario would be
Murray/Farrell/Henshaw/Harris,
then you know it's going to be a war of attrition

I've really enjoyed Daly & Harris at 13 both attack/defence, I was leaning towards Daly but I was worried last game with the defensive side. IMHO Henshaw is not a 13 but a very good 12, the worry is going to be Gatland finding a home for Farrell

I'd like to see
Price/Biggar/Henshaw/Harris (Daly)
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 13 Jul 2021, 7:08 pm

Murray / Biggar/ Farrel /Harris might be worse Very Happy

TJ

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 13 Jul 2021, 7:19 pm

TJ wrote:Murray / Biggar/ Farrel /Harris might be worse Very Happy

Oh my god please no, you're right that's bloody worse Cry
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jul 2021, 10:46 am

Adding

Walking to the door

Murray
Farrell

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 15 Jul 2021, 3:00 pm

Currently I would go with....but this will hopefully change after Sat's game

Sutherland, George, Furlong
Itoje, Beard
Beirne, Faletau, Watson
Price, Biggar
Henshaw, Harris
Adams, Williams, VDM

Bench
Wyn Jones, Owens, Sinckler
Lawes, Curry, Simmonds
Murray
Farrell

Last edited by hugehandoff on Thu 15 Jul 2021, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 15 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm

hugehandoff wrote:Currently I would go with....but this will hopefully change after Sat's game

Itoje, Beard
Beirne, Faletau, Watson
Price, Biggar
Henshaw, Harris
Adams, Williams, VDM

Bench
Lawes, Curry, Simmonds
O'Connor
Farrell

O'Connor? Do you mean Murray?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 15 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm

lostinwales wrote:
hugehandoff wrote:Currently I would go with....but this will hopefully change after Sat's game

Itoje, Beard
Beirne, Faletau, Watson
Price, Biggar
Henshaw, Harris
Adams, Williams, VDM

Bench
Lawes, Curry, Simmonds
O'Connor
Farrell

O'Connor? Do you mean Murray?

Oops...my bad...should have been concentrating on my work meeting instead

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3