The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World T20 discussion thread

+16
msp83
AlciG
VTR
eirebilly
Soul Requiem
alfie
CaledonianCraig
KP_fan
Pal Joey
James100
king_carlos
Duty281
JDizzle
dummy_half
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
20 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

World T20 discussion thread - Page 14 Empty World T20 discussion thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is fast approaching in the UAE, and squads are beginning to be announced. England have announced theirs this morning

England's preliminary squad for the World T20;

Jason Roy
Jos Buttler
Dawid Malan
Jonny Bairstow
Liam Livingstone
Eoin Morgan
Sam Billings
Moeen Ali
Sam Curran
Chris Woakes
David Willey
Adil Rashid
Mark Wood
Chris Jordan
Tymal Mills

Reserves: James Vince, Liam Dawson, Tom Curran

Looks a solid squad, albeit the team has taken a hit in recent months with Archer's injury and then Stokes's withdrawal from international duty.
Billings in as the main batting backup, makes sense to me. He's played well in limited opportunity the past few summers.
I am a touch surprised both Woakes and Willey are in the squad...seems like they both do the same role to me?
Seems harsh, but happy no Tom Curran. He's not played well enough to be included.
I see some "why no Parkinson?" and it does seem a tad weird he isn't in reserve...but ultimately in T20 can you afford to carry someone like him, who while is a good bowler, is a liability in the field and offers absolutely nothing with the bat. I can see why Dawson is the chosen reserve over him, with those considerations.

I think the likely XI is;

Roy
Buttler
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Wood
Mills

The real selection choices in there are between Woakes/Jordan, and Moeen/Sam Curran. Rest looks fairly set in stone to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

World T20 discussion thread - Page 14 Empty Re: World T20 discussion thread

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:40 am

Well that was fun. Feel a bit sorry for Afghanistan - I honestly didn't really give them much chance against Pakistan but they played with such spirit and made this the best match of the event so far.

Pakistan now look certain to top the group ; but unless the Afghans can upset India I'm afraid all their gutsy efforts won't be enough to keep them in this. Wonder if they'll be regretting choosing to bat first ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:08 am

What a game - enthralling cricket played throughout and swings between both sides until the end!

Really do think the Afghans still have a great shot here - albeit they could do with NZ causing an upset against India on Sunday. They can scare India for sure, whether they can beat them…they’d have a chance. But would back them to beat NZ for sure

Fantastic from Pakistan again - do have some concerns about their batting, but Asif Ali looks a hell of a finisher so far!

Two big games tomorrow - sneaky big game for South Africa. Win tomorrow and England lose, suddenly the game between the two becomes pretty much a winner take all contest
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 am

Oh also that was a truly horrendous attempt at a death over by Janat - no changes of pace, just trying to bowl yorkers at off stump. Have to go wide if you’re bowling yorkers, and at least throw in a slower one! (I fear a Chris Jordan death over being similar btw)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:23 am

Glad it's not just me having palpitations about a Chris Jordan death over being similarly marmalised. In these conditions I'd prefer Wood in the team if he's ever fit again

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:26 am

Old Man wrote:Sorry but this Telford Vice bloke who ever he might be is a plonker.

Quinton de Kock had in the past shown public support for standing against racism, not taking the knee, but standing with a fist in the air with his team mates like Madiba always did.

CSA told players they could show support for racial equality in their own way or not at all. It was their personal choice.

Then on the bus trip to the stadium they are instructed to show solidarity in theim taking a knee because CSA felt uncomfortable because the Proteas did not seem to look united in their stance prior to the match vs Australia.

So because the board felt embarrassed they throw down a directive without talking to the players.

Quinton de Kock in the past said nobody has the right to tell them that they must show anything. His reaction was natural, he did what he believed was the right thing to do.

Yesterday he was ripped to shreds, being called a racist and many other things.

I am sure he did not expect that.

There is also the fact that CSA have been in trouble and turmoil for quite some time and Quinton must have felt who do these new board members think they are to tell him what he must do.

You can bet your bottom Dollar the withdrawal from the team was in the spur of the moment, and had CSA done the right thing and discussed this with the players he would have reacted differently.

I say Frak anyone else that wants to question his motives.
Quinton de Kock earlier in the West Indies, didn't perform any of the agreed upon gestures, not the fist in the air either. There have been questions since then. When teams like England and Australia in entirety can take a knee as a public gesture in support of anti-racism. Quinton would have done better not to make it too much about himself. As alfie flagged above, the SJN hearings have not been easy at all for CSA, or for that matter SA cricket in general, and gestures had a certain greater significance.
Anyways, its done, hopefully de Kock will be back with the gloves, and at the top of the order. QdK for Claasen, against Sri Lanka against whom he has had a very good record...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:28 am

Afghanistan again making a good fist of a game against group leaders Pakistan. With both bat and ball, they seemed down and out at times, but showed good fight to make a match of it...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:32 am

And what to say about Jason Holder. Remarkable contribution from him again. Should have been in the squad and the11 from the outset.
In fact I feel the WI Board hasn't been treating him well, with the kind of respect he deserves. Just because Kraig Brathwaite managed a series win against Bangladesh away. Holder was removed as test captain, something they shouldn't really have done. He hasn't done enough to be one of the first names in the team sheet in T-20Is unlike in tests and ODIs, but Holder in this team, at this stage, should be a first choice player...

msp83

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:What a game - enthralling cricket played throughout and swings between both sides until the end!

Really do think the Afghans still have a great shot here - albeit they could do with NZ causing an upset against India on Sunday. They can scare India for sure, whether they can beat them…they’d have a chance. But would back them to beat NZ for sure

Fantastic from Pakistan again - do have some concerns about their batting, but Asif Ali looks a hell of a finisher so far!

Two big games tomorrow - sneaky big game for South Africa. Win tomorrow and England lose, suddenly the game between the two becomes pretty much a winner take all contest

Afghans were pretty impressive in this one but I'm just not as sold on them as you , Olly. Would be surprised if they could actually beat an Indian side who will themselves be desperate to win their contest , regardless of how they fare against NZ.

Way this group is set up , it is fairly certain Pakistan will end up with five wins ; with India,  NZ and Afghanistan all winning two against the minnows (sorry Scotland and Namibia , no disrespect intended) . That means only three matches will really count from here...the ones between those three sides.

If any team wins both , they are in. If they share them , each will finish on same points and run rate will decide (at which they are admittedly well placed at present , though their rivals haven't had a shot at Scotland yet)  All of which means Afghanistan either have to beat both India and NZ - or hope NZ beat India , while they win against the Kiwis , to have any chance.

I just don't see all that as likely.   { Edit : Of course the other alternative is beating India and losing to NZ ; in which case they might have slightly more chance of India beating NZ to see them all tied. But that also seems a tall order. Reckon India are just too good }

The other group is still too open for me to call yet. But certainly the winner of England and Australia will be feeling pretty good.

Last edited by alfie on Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:43 pm

VTR wrote:Glad it's not just me having palpitations about a Chris Jordan death over being similarly marmalised. In these conditions I'd prefer Wood in the team if he's ever fit again

Same : I was hoping Wood would be fit for the Australia game but apparently not likely. Jordan has his merits but I have a sneaking suspicion he is a little past his best , and agree he could be vulnerable at the end.

I guess there are options. If Livingstone (and Moeen) can continue their good bowling efforts England might not always need all their pace overs. Woakes could save one for the death ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:17 pm

alfie wrote:
VTR wrote:Glad it's not just me having palpitations about a Chris Jordan death over being similarly marmalised. In these conditions I'd prefer Wood in the team if he's ever fit again

Same : I was hoping Wood would be fit for the Australia game but apparently not likely.  Jordan has his merits but I have a sneaking suspicion he is a little past his best , and agree he could be vulnerable at the end.

I guess there are options. If Livingstone (and Moeen) can continue their good bowling efforts England might not always need all their pace overs. Woakes could save one for the death ?

Further evidence, m'lud - Surrey have just signed him as they did Plunkett when his form went off a cliff. Wink

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Morning all,

Tough game this one. Really feel that Sth Africa should have too much but i can never write Sri Lanka off.

Good to see De Kock back, still cant believe the .... that was being said about him a few days back.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:06 pm

The Sri Lankan anthem is just lovely
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:23 pm

Expecting an unchanged side from England - sounds like Wood won’t be fit. If he is, he has to come in for Jordan imo

Think this might be the game England’s plans are slightly disrupted bowling wise - Finch is an excellent hitter of spin, so I can’t see him letting Moeen bowl three in the powerplay like the other sides have (and even if he is out, the Aussies only have 1 left hander in the top 6, so not a traditionally good matchup for Mo) - which means they may need to find overs from someone other than Woakes in that first six. Concerned about Mo’s bowling in this matchup, for as well as he has gone so far

Also as mentioned the Aussie lineup is very right hander heavy, so Livingstone’s leggies come more into play. Know I’ve banged on about him, but this would’ve been an ideal game for Dawson to come in and play and offer a more solid option turning the ball away from the right handers.

On the flip side, the Aussies surely won’t be able to open with Maxwell against Roy/Buttler - I’m expecting England to go very hard at that Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh combo that makes up the Aussies 5th bowler overs. Sri Lanka took them for 51 runs in their 4 overs last game.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat, alfie and king_carlos like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:52 pm

on best angle shown that stumping appeal was OUT - Mrs Bat. Couldn't see anything grounded behind the line.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:06 pm

89/4 off 13.

140 looking possible. Probably not many more than that. Feel Sri Lanka have lost 1 wicket too many at this stage.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:07 pm

And a third wicket for Shamsi makes 140 more difficult, let alone anything in excess. Top bowling from Shamsi.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:44 pm

Sri Lanka 142 all out off the final ball off the 20th.

Comms banging on that the same score was successfully defended yesterday. However, that overlooks that South Africa have more batting firepower than Bangladesh did against the West Indies.

Therefore reckon that South Africa will be ok. Game definitely on though ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:49 pm

Evening all...

Only caught the end of that innings - late clatter of wickets. So : that lately rather popular mid 140 score , eh ? Based on yesterday's events I guess it could go either way.

I think SA should be able to run it down without too much drama ; but their batting hasn't been all that lately , so nothing guaranteed. Wouldn't mind seeing another close one like the last two...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:54 pm

The imbalance in the scheduling is rather odd. By the end of today, nine games will have played in Group 1, compared to five in Group 2.

Anyway this match is crucial for qualification. South Africa should triumph from here and we'll have three teams on four points. Whereas Pakistan are practically through already, this Group is still wide open (and will be considerably more open if Australia upset the old enemy later).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 pm

Chameera tossing a couple of grenades into the SA dressing room ... Both openers gone cheaply and this chase may not be any walk in the park. Especially if Hasaranga is on his game today.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Sri Lanka’s fielding is hilariously bad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Some pretty hairy running by this pair ! Got away with it though.

And Sri Lanka are commendably lively in the field but may come to regret their early generosity with overthrows Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:30 pm

Bavuma should buy a raffle ticket after getting away with that ! Awful shot attempt ; and how it wasn't given out on field is beyond me. Looked stone dead...that umpires call on impact must have been about half a micron...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:33 pm

Might have been better for SA if Bavuma had got out - he's just sold Van der Dussen down the river...

Suppose a run out was inevitable. But Bavuma really owes his team now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:35 pm

South Africa making a right mess of this.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:36 pm

91 needed off 11 overs. That's steep with 3 down. I do rate Markram though ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:39 pm

What can you do if ye are a Sth African fan... Bavuma is clearly not up to much at T20 level. How he is the captain as well is astonishing to me.

A very good player but not in this format. His communication between the wickets and his slow scoring is a clear liability.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:51 pm

These two are stabilising things I think. Need 8 plus per over but they have some hitting power left in the shed...I think it is very much open. Not sure Sri Lanka have the bowlers for the death overs : think they need more wickets.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:54 pm

Yeah, these two are doing a solid job for their team. Singles, odd two, occasional boundary - that's all they need. Sri Lanka haven't been able to build any pressure for the last few overs. They need to bring Hasaranga back for his final two overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:55 pm

Its going to go to the wire unless one of these two open up pretty soon.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:02 am

They talk about Stoines from Australia being the Hulk but Kumara is some unit. Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:06 am

Down to the wire again, for the third game in a row. Good over from Kumara built the pressure, Hasaranga was able to take the wicket in the next as a result.

47 off 30, four down. Sri Lanka's death bowling may prove a fatal weakness, like Afghanistan yesterday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:08 am

Big wicket. Much needed. Miller in now - if he gets going he will bring SA home. Need ten per over though .

SA rather fortunate a few throws have narrowly missed - half the team could have been run out by now !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:14 am

Bavuma 6 Shocked

Didnt think he had it in him...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:15 am

Got their ten off Chameera. Big over coming from Hasaranga...

But no : Kumara first ? No ... bit of indecision only but the right choice made ... and Bavuma gone...

Last edited by alfie on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:17 am

Wow, Hasaranga removes Bavuma with some drag-down filth.

Miller or bust?

Hat-trick for Hasaranga! Really is Miller or bust from here.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:19 am

Duty281 wrote:Wow, Hasaranga removes Bavuma with some drag-down filth.

Miller or bust?

That's the thing with wrist spin...even the bad balls can get wickets Smile

And Pretorius out first ball ! Sri Lanka fans dancing...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:20 am

Pretorius as well.

Holding back wrist spinners for an over at the death will be really effective on these wickets.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:23 am

That's what i dislike about the DRS. That was as plumb as they get for me.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:25 am

All up to Miller now. 25 off two ...but it is the seamers now , with the excellent Hasaranka done ; I reckon fifty/fifty...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:25 am

3-20 from Hasaranga. Such a good player.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 am

Rabada gets the six. Fifteen needed off the last, but Chameera and Hasaranga have bowled out. Lot of pressure on Kumara who has bowled well today, but has been wayward at other times in this tournament.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 am

Hmm. Fifteen off the last ? Has Rabada got another six in his pocket ?

No pressure , Kumara Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:31 am

15 needed from the last with Miller off strike. Doable but Sri Lanka favourites now.

Two boundaries at this stage changes everything though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:31 am

Gargantuan six from Miller. He annihilated that. Goodness.

8 off 4. Back in South Africa's favour. One more six will do it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:33 am

And there it is. Kumara misses his length like Janat yesterday. That'll do for South Africa and they're well in the hunt for the semi-finals.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:34 am

Two poor balls and two very good strikes from Miller.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:35 am

Anti-choke. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:35 am

Miller does the business clap

I did think he was the likely matchwinner. But he really picked the right time to produce those two big hits !

That's three tight finishes in a row : good for the neutrals thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:37 am

Another cracking game that's for sure!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down