The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premiership Round 11

+10
nathan
doctor_grey
Poorfour
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
WELL-PAST-IT
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
Sgt_Pooly
Heaf
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Premiership Round 11 - Page 3 Empty Premiership Round 11

Post by Heaf Sun 26 Dec 2021, 3:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well that was stupid by Wiese

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Premiership Round 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Premiership Round 11

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 30 Dec 2021, 7:39 pm

Or maybe separate Prem/Euro caps?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Dec 2021, 9:37 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Or maybe separate Prem/Euro caps?

I'd prefer to see an allowance for players that spent a certain amount of time developing with a club before say their 22nd or 20th birthday. That player only counts 75% of their salary towards the cap. The idea being that home developed players are easier for clubs to retain. Invest in player development and your academy and get rewarded.

formerly known as Sam

doctor_grey, Heaf and Poorfour like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 30 Dec 2021, 11:50 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

I'd prefer to see an allowance for players that spent a certain amount of time developing with a club before say their 22nd or 20th birthday. That player only counts 75% of their salary towards the cap. The idea being that home developed players are easier for clubs to retain. Invest in player development and your academy and get rewarded.

It’s a while since I read the salary cap rules, but from memory there’s already a pretty generous Academy credit, and the new Academy salary cap - which is outside the main cap - is £50k per player. In effect, it means that a player can earn pretty much their first senior contract while still technically in the Academy and under a separate cap. I like that as a model, as it allows clubs to be sure of retaining their home grown players for those tricky 2-3 years of transition to being full senior players.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 31 Dec 2021, 8:25 am

Poorfour wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:

It’s a while since I read the salary cap rules, but from memory there’s already a pretty generous Academy credit, and the new Academy salary cap - which is outside the main cap - is £50k per player. In effect, it means that a player can earn pretty much their first senior contract while still technically in the Academy and under a separate cap. I like that as a model, as it allows clubs to be sure of retaining their home grown players for those tricky 2-3 years of transition to being full senior players.

I do like that but I was thinking for more the long term. Sarries cheated the system partly because they wanted to retain the likes of George, Itoje and Farrell who they had produced. I almost felt sorry for them in that regard, note almost. 

I'd like to see clubs helped to retain those one club men, Marler and Cole for example who their clubs have poured years into developing. The RFU would back the idea no doubt as it would have the knock on effect of trying to help EQ numbers in squads.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 31 Dec 2021, 8:47 am

Thing with that as well you would get clubs trying to turn the heads of the most promising players even more. Obviously happens now but as you said if they go onto be top players the caps tempers it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 31 Dec 2021, 10:39 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Thing with that as well you would get clubs trying to turn the heads of the most promising players even more. Obviously happens now but as you said if they go onto be top players the caps tempers it.

Two things in that. Aren't the regions for the academies set. I think academy contracts have a upper limit set as well so competition for the best talent is limited.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 31 Dec 2021, 10:58 am

Yes. Catchment areas for academies are set, though there are grey areas - you can be eligible for two different academies if you live in one county and go to school in another, for instance.

The Academy salary cap is now £50k, which gives room for a little competition - but from what I can see most clubs are just holding players in the Academy for longer.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3