The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

+9
The Beast
Derek Smalls
Sgt_Pooly
Soul Requiem
Mr Bounce
kingraf
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
No name Bertie
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE  Empty Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

Post by Guest Fri 31 Dec 2021, 1:25 am

Dillian Whyte seems to have lost his arbitration against the WBC.
The purse split has been set at 80/20 for Fury. Somewhat staggering they set it so low for Whyte.
Whyte had demanded $10m to avoid purse bids. So someone would have to bid $50m for Whyte to get that amount now.
What’s the predictions? Whyte to take the $5m Arum offered? Whyte walks away?

Last edited by Jeff Navarro on Fri 28 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE  Empty Re: Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

Post by No name Bertie Fri 31 Dec 2021, 1:32 pm

Dillian Whyte has to believe in himself and go for it.  He is getting older and battle scarred and shouldn't wait any longer.  He is never going to win with the WBC but has been made mandatory.  I suppose $5million is still more than he has been paid before.  The standard split for a mandatory I believe is 70:30.  I would have thought the WBC could have gone for 25% minimum but have gone for the lowest offer from Arum/Warren.

ps I believe in the AJ vs Ruiz I fight Ruiz was offered $7 million to step in as a late replacement.  I suppose AJ would have earned something like maybe $15 to 20 million, depending on the interest - corresponding to a split for Ruiz in the region of 32 to 26%.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm

Wasn't really expecting this one to come off anyway, but that's doubly the case now. Doesn't seem much incentive for Hearn to go big on the purse bids if it's an 80:20 split in Fury's favour and I'm not sure Whyte would fancy this fight taking place on a Top Rank card potentially over in the States.

That said, there are only so many sob stories I can bear when it comes to Whyte, and if he walks away from another world title fight due to his inflated sense of worth and clout I won't have all that much sympathy for him if he loses again soon to another contender for much less money, which I think could well happen.

Whyte should take it on and force Fury's hand. If Fury decides to vacate in favour of what he views as bigger or more lucrative fights then Whyte and Hearn can sell the 'ducking' schtick and claim a little moral victory in the promotional pantomime, while Whyte gets a better share (albeit of a smaller kitty) and much more winnable fight for the vacant belt.

I've got a feeling Whyte and Hearn don't quite want this enough to accept the terms which look likely, though, and will walk away before Fury is forced to make a decision. But as I've touched on above, even if they do accept the terms, I just don't think Fury is bothered enough about Whyte for him to sign up, and I suspect if push came to shove he'd just vacate the WBC as he's one of those fighters who is big enough not to be beholden to the sanctioning bodies.

For Fury I think it's pretty much all about the money and profile for his last couple of fights (or whatever he has left now) and the belts are just incidental, which he's more or less come out and acknowledged in recent interviews. Recently he's been hinting at an upcoming fight in Saudi Arabia (Andy Ruiz looking like the most likely opponent) and after that I think all he's bothered about is the Joshua fight. I don't think he's got any interest or motivation in fighting Whyte, and personally I'm not convinced he really wants Usyk either, and would prefer it if Joshua beat him in a rematch to make the road to that fight easier.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Jan 2022, 1:44 pm

After fat Andy and Cruiser Usyk beat Joshua..Whyte winning ten seconds of an 8 round fight hardly seems impressive anymore if it ever was...

Never dreamed trialhorses like Whyte and Chisora would be PPV fighters and it says a lot about the IQ of fans that they are..Come along way since Hearn said Kessler v Froch was a one off..

How he thinks he is worth 10 million heaven only knows perhaps if I could understand a word he says I would know.

Take the 20% or go away...Couldn't care less...Easy decision for Fury anyway..

Chisora was nearly too much for him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jan 2022, 7:29 pm

Frank Warren’s Queensbury boxing, in association with Top Rank, won the purse bid with the winning bid coming in at $41m.
Eddie Hearn bid $32m.

Under WBC purse bid rules(80-20 for this fight) the split is actually 72-18. The remaining 10% goes to the winner.

Tyson Fury gets £22m
Dillian Whyte gets £5.5m

Winner gets £3m

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 29 Jan 2022, 4:22 am

Gotta give Fury credit. Three of his four fights on ESPN have been lossmakers, and here he is again, somehow convincing ESPN/Top Rank to in part raise $40m for another one of his fights. I'm not sure what he says at bid meetings, but he must be a helluva salesman.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Jan 2022, 5:29 am

Doesn't work like that...Fury is the large end of the purse and is an Arum/Warren fighter...

He agrees privately to take say 20 million which leaves Whyte share at 8m of the 40m purse bid.

So they win the promotion rights and not Matchroom whom I expect they thought would bid over 30m..

It's a practice as old as the day is long...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 13 Feb 2022, 6:42 pm

Come along way since Foster was so confident he would beat Tiger he agreed to take just expenses for the fight..

Now we have a lucky trialhorse who sneaked past ten defeat Derek sniffing at 8 million..

Take it or sling your hook...Whyte...You are an insult to great fighters having to settle for 10 times less money a fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 13 Feb 2022, 9:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Come along way since Foster was so confident he would beat Tiger he agreed to take just expenses for the fight..

Now we have a lucky trialhorse who sneaked past ten defeat Derek sniffing at 8 million..

Take it or sling your hook...Whyte...You are an insult to great fighters having to settle for 10 times less money a fight.

And if he was American you'd be praising him for fighting everyone. He's not top drawer, that's for sure, but he's paid his dues and has no fear fighting dangerous fighters, even if it meant a careless loss. He's definitely EARNED his shot - far more than most of the dross Wilder fought. I agree that he should take the money and go for it, but stop with the Trialhorse BS Truss - he's got a better resume than all but the top 3. "Witherspoon would have toyed with him in the 80s" - but this isn't the 80s. That was 32-42 years ago. He's exciting AND vulnerable. Makes for a more exciting fight. Plus if he gets lucky and puts Fury on his butt, I will cheer him on.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Feb 2022, 9:49 pm

The contract must be signed and returned to WBC by February 19(Saturday). So this time next week we will know where everyone stands.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Feb 2022, 8:42 am

Mr Bounce wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Come along way since Foster was so confident he would beat Tiger he agreed to take just expenses for the fight..

And if he was American you'd be praising him for fighting everyone. He's not top drawer, that's for sure, but he's paid his dues and has no fear fighting dangerous fighters, even if it meant a careless loss. He's definitely EARNED his shot - far more than most of the dross Wilder fought. I agree that he should take the money and go for it, but stop with the Trialhorse BS Truss - he's got a better resume than all but the top 3. "Witherspoon would have toyed with him in the 80s" - but this isn't the 80s. That was 32-42 years ago. He's exciting AND vulnerable. Makes for a more exciting fight. Plus if he gets lucky and puts Fury on his butt, I will cheer him on.

The fact remains he won 20 seconds of an 8 round fight against a Bruno tribute act....Lost to Chisora in many eyes and got outboxed in the rematch before the miracle punch....Knocked out by a 40 year past it slob looking for a final payday.. and hasn't beaten anybody that could win a raffle in the 80s..

Yet he won't sign because 8 million isn't enough.

Joke..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 14 Feb 2022, 10:53 am

It doesn't matter how good Whyte would have been in the 80's, it matters how good he is today and he's almost certainly among the five top heavyweights in the world and has been for a few years now. Fury lost to McDermott in many eyes and needed the help of an illegal punch to beat Cunningham after being put on his arse, anyone can twist things to suit their argument.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 14 Feb 2022, 10:59 am

Ok Truss - how about if the fight goes ahead, Whyte does the unthinkable and Fury gets dumped on his butt by a cracker of a left hook, will you still call him a trialhorse, or will you then criticise Fury instead to suit your argument?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Feb 2022, 3:24 pm

He is ordinary....Yes.

My problem is him thinking 8 million is not enough.

Ridiculous... An ex champ like Pinklon Thomas got 600k for fighting the real Tyson..

Chavez number 1 at 130...Rosario number 1 at 135 got 500k each for fighting in 1987..

8 million ?? For this Clown not enough..Do me a favour.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 16 Feb 2022, 1:26 pm

Whyte and his team have gone awfully quiet on this. I get it, until the deadline (three days' time) has come and gone he's not obliged to say anything publicly, and I guess it's a sign of the pernicious influence of social media that so many fans are taking his silence as cold feet....But Whyte has never been shy of piping up for attention via any medium before, and given he and his team know that people are seriously questioning how much he really wants this fight, you'd have thought there'd at least be some public dialogue about it by now.

I've talked about Whyte overestimating his drawing power before, but I'd be astonished if he genuinely felt that the offer on the table is rough justice on him, and if he walked away as a result. It would be madness.

Cutting it very fine for this to still happen before the end of April. The inactivity of these leading fighters these days is agonising.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Feb 2022, 2:20 pm

Hearn has made boxing fans think its acceptable to pay 20 pounds to watch a stiff called Chisora who has ten defeats..so no wonder Whyte has delusions of grandeur..

PPV used to be for the top fighters....But gullible muppets have made it harder for casual fans to see casual fights..

Whyte and Chisora aren't box office..

Trialhorses thinking they are worth more than 8 million..

What next ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Feb 2022, 10:47 pm

Doing a good job of winding Brook up is Khan..

Condescending around the table and now the poppadom stuff that wasn't racial and he knows it..Designed to antagonise.

Starling wound Honey up for years and he over extended early..Wonder if that is the plan here.

Side note.. Johnny Nelson shouldn't be working this fight...No way should anyone working for the host be accusing anyone of cheating over weight if terms are agreed...He is from the same gym as Brook and besides he is crap anyway as he always tries to upstage the combatants.

Still going for Khan but not with conviction.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Feb 2022, 12:28 am

Dillian Whyte finally signed the contract and will face Tyson Fury in April. Rumoured to be Wembley stadium.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 22 Feb 2022, 8:33 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:Dillian Whyte finally signed the contract and will face Tyson Fury in April. Rumoured to be Wembley stadium.

Great news. I hope Whyte comes out with a decent pay day, he deserves it.

It should be an entertaining one.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Feb 2022, 9:24 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Dillian Whyte finally signed the contract and will face Tyson Fury in April. Rumoured to be Wembley stadium.

Great news. I hope Whyte comes out with a decent pay day, he deserves it.

It should be an entertaining one.

Yes we have got to hope that a guy that got lucky against Chisora twice...Won 20 seconds of an 8 round fight with AJ and got poleaxed by a 42 year old slob gets a 'decent' 8 million purse.

While Prograis and Taylor got four times less for being the cream at their weight..

Give me a break.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:03 am

It's always been that way, throughout history the Heavyweights have been more revered and better paid than their lower weight counterparts (fab four notwithstanding).

You have a few outliers like;

Mayweather and De La Hoya; People want to see them lose
Hamed; cocky, exciting and want to see him lose
Alvarez, Chavez, Trinidad and Cotto; The Mexican and Puerto Rican thing
Hatton and Warrington; football fans

Taylor is a phenomenal boxer, he'll go down as one of the finest produced in Britain but he's almost too good to be exciting. Look at Pernell Whitaker in comparison to Mayweather, he came across as a nice guy so the defensive genius was just seen as boring.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:38 am

I was going to say are you happy he's signed but obviously not Truss 😃

If Whyte pulls off the unexpected and wins (not likely, obviously) will you then give him credit??

I am just glad he's finally got a shot. He's waited long enough. Hope he actually has a go rather than meekly surrendering.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Feb 2022, 11:45 am

Whyte’s delay signing the contract was around the arbitration he filed against the WBC. Seems like he lost the appeal for a larger purse split. Whyte has still requested additional money for promoting the fight. WBC will make a decision in the coming days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 28 Feb 2022, 1:39 am

I bet Derek Sweet D Williams and Matt Skelton are rueing the fact that they weren't fighting in this era!
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Mar 2022, 8:51 am

Dillian Whyte will only attend the mandatory final press conference. So Tyson Fury will have free reign to sing and dance as much as he like as today's event.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 01 Mar 2022, 9:18 am

Wonder if Bitter Eddie who has seen three big fights in a row and now this go to rival promoters is advising Whyte to not promote this..

Disgusting when Taylor and Catterall are getting peanuts in comparison that this old trialhorse is acting like a moron for 8 million.

TRUSSMAN66

kingraf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 01 Mar 2022, 10:03 am

The guy got nearly $7m for fighting Chisora. Whether you like it or not, he 100% should be getting more than $8m for fighting Fury. Unless, of course, Fury isn't the draw he allegedly is.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2022, 10:23 am

kingraf wrote:The guy got nearly $7m for fighting Chisora. Whether you like it or not, he 100% should be getting more than $8m for fighting Fury. Unless, of course, Fury isn't the draw he allegedly is.

I thought he was getting more than $8m actually....he should be a bit peeved with that if it's the correct figure, he deserves more.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 01 Mar 2022, 10:57 am

kingraf wrote:The guy got nearly $7m for fighting Chisora. Whether you like it or not, he 100% should be getting more than $8m for fighting Fury. Unless, of course, Fury isn't the draw he allegedly is.

So he got paid stupid money for Chisora...Two stiffs..

Means he deserves more than 8 million for Fury..Can't see the logic there really....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 01 Mar 2022, 11:02 am

He got £4 million for Povetkin. Whether you like him or not he's a huge draw. $8m in an all British stadium clash is an underpay, especially considering he isn't even getting PPV upside.

If you don't rate him, that's fine, but you're mad at the Whyte because he's getting what the market deems to be his value.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 01 Mar 2022, 11:10 am

Chisora v opponent gets on PPV and in no way shape or form is a guy with 12 defeats PPV.

But if village idiots pay 20 quid to watch him...

Whyte isn't worth 8 million when he probably wouldn't be in a Top 100 p4p list...When Top 5 p4p fighters earn less..

Fury has the greatest prize in sports so that is different..

My opinion and you are entitled to disagree..

Sgt Pooly can even pop up now and again to try to get a rise out of me..That is fine too.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 01 Mar 2022, 9:37 pm

Here's a thought: Maybe he really can't be bothered with Fury's showmanship and spouting pre-fight barbs because he's decided to concentrate on training and is at least trying to win this fight? (At least that's what I HOPE he's doing).

If you're given an opportunity to fight for the world heavyweight title against the division's number one, you're either going all in or you lay down. I actually think he's going to have a go and can't be doing with all this peripheral stuff as it's a distraction.

Of course it could be that he folds totally in the fight, but hey, I am an old romantic and like to believe in the best in everyone Laugh

But Trussy, seeing as you didn't answer last time I asked, if Whyte does the unthinkable and beats Fury on merit (and not by disqualification or dodgy judges), will you give him credit?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 01 Mar 2022, 10:21 pm

Dillian Whyte has probably the second best resume following Antony Joshua in terms of having fought former world champions and top ten fighters.  I think he will be game and try to knock out Tyson Fury.   Tyson Fury may try to keep the fight at length a bit like the Klitschko fight and this was in fact suggested by SugarHill Steward.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Mar 2022, 12:11 am

No name Bertie wrote:Dillian Whyte has probably the second best resume following Antony Joshua in terms of having fought former world champions and top ten fighters.  I think he will be game and try to knock out Tyson Fury.   Tyson Fury may try to keep the fight at length a bit like the Klitschko fight and this was in fact suggested by SugarHill Steward.
Whyte will probably be remembered for being poleaxed by Joshua and Povetkin rather than any of his wins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Mar 2022, 12:14 am

So Whyte didn’t turn up at the press conference as he wanted a private jet plus 10% PPV share.
Both rejected by Arum/Warren.

Still seems odd that Whyte rejected the offer of £5.5m plus 10% when it was offered prior to the purse bids.

He’s ended up with £5.5m and no PPV share...

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Mar 2022, 11:34 am

WBC must have got wind of him earning more than the 350k he put down for his last fight and dropped the interim purse split..

45% would have been 18 million...

Can be too clever for your own good sometimes.

Bless him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Mar 2022, 8:43 pm

Dillian Whyte’s lawyer was trying to renegotiate the terms of the fight on live UK radio earlier today.
Seems like Whyte’s lawyer is totally incompetent and duly embarrassed by the presenters.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Mar 2022, 9:16 pm

Escrow or lack of it may trip up the fight..

Warren warranted or not has had a few problems over money with fighters in the past..

But Whyte's lawyer didn't write escrow into the contract it seems.. rather strangely.

This fight isn't a certainty to go ahead me thinketh alas poor Yorick.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 25 Mar 2022, 11:00 pm

Supposedly the real issue is PPV sales aren't where Warren and Co thought they'd be for the return of the king, and are quietly (and not so quietly) peeved that Whyte has done nothing to drum up interest.

I'm with Whyte on this, if your split, and lack of PPV incentives suggests Fury is the selling point in the fight, let him sell the fight.

His lawyer does seem a clown though. Why anyone would would cut corners on their legal representative when they're worth north of eight figures is beyond me.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 25 Mar 2022, 11:33 pm

And this is everything that is wrong with boxing today. A fighter earns his spot as the number 1 contender for years, takes dangerous fights to keep said spot, gets messed about by the organisation that put him there more than once, loses, regains his number 1 spot, then gets shafted percentage-wise (not money-wise, I should add) when he actually gets a shot.

Then we gets legal clowns trying to publicly gain more money despite everything being signed and sealed. Fans don't want this garbage. This isn't a soap opera. They want to see fighters fighting. I reckon the two lawyers should be made to fight instead. At least it might be entertaining.

Boxing politics, promoters, money men, lawyers and corrupt judges - they can all do one.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Mar 2022, 11:35 pm

It's written in fighters contracts as part of the deal to promote fights and rightly so.

If every fighter sore that they aren't getting what they want didn't help promote a fight where would we be ??

It's amateurish period.. Let alone from an average trialhorse earning 8 times more than undisputed king Josh Taylor..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 25 Mar 2022, 11:47 pm

If Fury's the star the WBC claim he is - by virtue of giving him an almost unheard of split against a mandatory in a fight that did go to bid, then the fight should do fine off his own media work. I'm not even sure what press work Pulev did for the AJ fight, and it didn't matter.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2022, 9:23 am

If Whyte is as great as Hearn proclaims he is, why didn’t DAZN go all in for the purse bid?
Hearn was adamant he would win the purse bid and force Fury to vacate as ‘Warren/Arum/BT/ESPN wouldn’t have Fury fighting for a rival broadcaster’.
Let’s not forget Whyte was offered £5.5m + PPV % which was rejected.
Then via purse bids he ends up with £5.5m + 0 PPV %.

Whyte is getting more money against Fury, than Fury got against Klitchko and Usyk got against Joshua.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 26 Mar 2022, 10:22 am

DAZN offered the biggest losing purse bid on boxing history for the fight. They clearly went all in. They got outbid by a monopoly money bid
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2022, 10:38 am

kingraf wrote:DAZN offered the biggest losing purse bid on boxing history for the fight. They clearly went all in. They got outbid by a monopoly money bid  
You mean DAZN got blown out of the water by ESPN?

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 26 Mar 2022, 10:47 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:
kingraf wrote:DAZN offered the biggest losing purse bid on boxing history for the fight. They clearly went all in. They got outbid by a monopoly money bid  
You mean DAZN got blown out of the water by ESPN?

DAZN aren't going to table an above market value bid when their fighter is the B side.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 26 Mar 2022, 10:50 am

You argued that DAZN didn't go all in for the purse bid. The reality is they put in the largest bid of all time in a blind bidding process. That is the definition of going all in. There was literally no way for them to know what Frank's offer would be. Your statement is incorrect.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 26 Mar 2022, 10:55 am

With Warren's history of screwing his boxers I'd much rather Hearn won purse bids with a lower offer.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 03 Apr 2022, 1:44 pm

Seems there is no undercard for Fury v Whyte yet and its less than 3 weeks away..

Whilst Whyte isn't doing anyone any favors seems like it's Amateur night all a round..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 04 Apr 2022, 11:26 pm

£24.95 PPV, both have conveniently forgotten alleged brushes with PED's, no undercard to date. Each to their own but it's not IMHO a great advert.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next