The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N lookahead

+37
Mcsweens
takethelongroad
Dollar Bill
cakeordeath
Heuer27
Heaf
formerly known as Sam
hugehandoff
Recwatcher16
geoff999rugby
RiscaGame
Mr Bounce
alive555
Duty281
Old Man
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
TJ
sensisball
BigGee
mountain man
No 7&1/2
EWT Spoons
NeilyBroon
Tramptastic
demosthenes
Hazel Sapling
funnyExiledScot
RDW
tigertattie
jimbopip
neilthom7
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Collapse2005
bsando
George Carlin
Highland Shaun
41 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead  - Page 18 Empty Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by Highland Shaun Wed 28 Sep 2022, 10:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Results in aggregate this year for the national team were:

5 February 2022 - Scotland 20–17 England
12 February 2022 - Wales 20–17 Scotland
26 February 2022 - Scotland 17–36 France
12 March 2022 - Italy 22–33 Scotland
19 March 2022 - Ireland 26–5 Scotland
2 July 2022 - Argentina 26–18 Scotland
9 July 2022 - Argentina 6–29 Scotland
16 July 2022 - Argentina 34–31 Scotland
29 October 2022 - Scotland 15–16 Australia
5 November 2022 - Scotland 28–12 Fiji
13 November 2022 - Scotland 23–31 New Zealand
19 November 2022 - Scotland 52–29 Argentina

P 12 W 5 L 7
Erm

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead  - Page 18 Empty Re: Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Nov 2022, 9:39 pm

Well Big Jim Hamilton certainly is feeling upbeat in the Times today!

I walked out of Murrayfield last night feeling really positive about the future of this Scotland side. It wasn’t just the fact that they put 50 points on a very good team, one against whom we’ve not had a fantastic record down the years — one that won at Twickenham two weeks ago and had beaten the All Blacks in New Zealand not long before.

No, for me, the most encouraging thing that crystallised yesterday was the fact that we have finished the autumn in a much stronger position to how we started it in terms of answering a number of key questions that will dictate much of what happens in the Six Nations and then at the World Cup.

There are now far fewer doubts about the make-up of our first-choice XV, not least in the mind of the man whose opinion matters most — Gregor Townsend. Whether through accident or design, we now know our best centre pairing, with Sione Tuipulotu really impressing alongside Chris Harris over the last seven days.

The Glasgow back hasn’t always managed to replicate his club form on the international stage, but this was much more like the physical, dynamic, powerhouse of a player the Scotstoun crowd have grown to love. That No 12 jersey is his to lose, for all that Cameron Redpath will no doubt keep coming hard between now and the Six Nations opener at Twickenham on February 4.

Everything about the midfield — and beyond — looks so much better with Finn Russell at fly half. There was never any doubt about the fact that the Racing 92 star is at a much more advanced stage of his development as a Test playmaker than Blair Kinghorn, but it’s to everyone’s benefit that he has underlined his status so emphatically since returning to the set-up.

There is no point going over the old ground of the initial call to leave him out, but what I will say is that it speaks volumes not just for Russell’s ability, but his mentality and the resilience that he has managed to ride out the storm and produce such a stupendous pair of performance against New Zealand and Argentina.

That’s the best I have seen Russell play back-to-back for Scotland. I actually thought last week was more impressive, because it was against better opposition who demanded that he show real control in among the inspiration, whereas yesterday was good old-fashioned Finn freakery — the showreel that we have seen so many times over the years when he is given time and space to conjure.

Scotland were always going to be on the front foot in the wake of that cluster of cards for Argentina, and there is no better player in world rugby to take advantage of the stars aligning.

Russell tore the Pumas to shreds and you only had to listen to the reception his man-of-the-match interview received from the Murrayfield crowd at full-time to know just how much love there is for him out there.

It is doubtful whether he and Townsend will ever get on like a house on fire, but, really, that doesn’t matter. As long as each is delivering for the other — the coach by throwing his best player the keys to the kingdom, and Russell by doing exactly what he has these past two games — nobody will have any reason to grumble.

It wasn’t just in attack that Russell stood out in this big win. Last week before the All Blacks match I wrote that we would get a real idea of his headspace from how he defended, and in both games he has reiterated his qualities in that department as well.

Yesterday, there were big tackles, chop tackles, multiple instances of back-to-back involvement when the defensive line was under real stress. Townsend simply could not have asked for more from the returning hero.

It will also, hopefully, have put to bed the always ridiculous notion which some have put forward about Russell lacking desire to play for his country. I know for a fact it means everything to him — you need only consider that he has risked missing out on the birth of his first child to play these last two games, despite everything that had gone before. Those are not the actions of someone who lacks commitment to the cause.

The margins are always fine, particularly given how fluid Scotland’s area of the world rankings is right now, but I feel confident in classing this campaign as a success. The Australia game, when let’s not forget we had a patchwork team out, came down to the last kick, while Fiji the following week was exactly the sort of stuffy affair that they are increasingly manufacturing under Vern Cotter. Scotland found a way to win.

The New Zealand game will always feel like a missed opportunity, but you could see the confidence that the players took from it in how they fronted up yesterday.

It was brilliant to witness them playing with a freedom that hasn’t been apparent for a while — the whole energy in the stadium is transformed when players like Darcy Graham, Duhan van der Merwe and Stuart Hogg are in full flight.

The Exeter Chiefs full back has reacted to losing the captaincy exactly as I hoped he would. You can see — and hear — that he is still right at the front of the leadership group, offering support to Jamie Ritchie, but he seems to be relishing the chance to focus on his own game, and getting back to the levels we all know are in there but which had faded from view over the past year.

All in all, I believe that Scotland end the year in good shape. There are huge challenges coming up in 2023, but we can attack them with confidence.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 20 Nov 2022, 11:34 pm

Wow. We’re a fickle bunch eh. Especially the media types

I suppose the old saying is you’re only as good as your last result could ring true.

Listen, the blackness are a shadow of their former selves and England are almost as topsy turvy as we are so let’s not use them or anyone else playing against them as a yard stick.

We managed to beat a pretty knackered Arg side who played most of the game with one man down and large chucks of it with 2 down (and even part with 3 down). What’s that about moral victories again?

There’s three teams who are favourites for the World Cup. France, Ireland and South Africa. Two of those teams we have in the pool stages. The chances of us getting out that group are slim to none. Hell, it would be our luck to beat one of those two but then the one we beat then beats the other and by way of BPs or the like, we’re the ones that lose out.

Scotland, like England, Oz and the blackness are capable of beating any other nation in the World Cup on a one off, but none of us have the consistency for an maintained run to be the eventual winners.

So let’s write off the World Cup and focus on the 6nations say some. Ok, let’s do that. As up and down as they are, England won’t let us catch them napping at their turf again. There’s a chance of a win but very slim. France in Paris, nope. Ireland in Edinburgh, still a nope. They, like SA know how to just strangle us to death. Wales at home is in the bag (sorry wales) but Italy, there’s something going on there and they are building. Like us they struggle against the teams that take the oxygen out of you through relentless battering but we are not one of those teams. Italy could catch us napping as goodness knows our players like to have a nap for at least 20 mins in every game.

So aye, someone ready the private Fraser gif. We’re doomed.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 21 Nov 2022, 9:07 am

BigGee wrote:Yes it is interesting the outcome of all this.

We certainly got a fired up and motivated Finn playing for us in his games this series. let's not forget that in the last 6N he did not always look like that!

Did Toonie dropping him from the squad play a part in that?

Not something we will ever know for sure or until more autobiographies get written in a few years' time.

For what it's worth, Toonie never said that he was our 4th choice FH, which is what all the Toonie out journos and fans claimed but said he wanted him to find some form and consistency, which he seems to have done.

So either a masterstroke, worthy of Alex Fergusson, or a stroke of luck Adam Hastings getting injured?

In terms of the rest of the squad:

1. I think Ali Price is on a shoddy peg and I do wish he had started Ben White, who to me looked the better player in the Fiji game and yesterday. George Horne looks like he is seen as a squad filler these days and you do wonder if Dobbie might even leapfrog him into the squad if he gets a run of games with Glasgow.

2. I think Redpath-Tuipolotu is where we might be heading in the centres but starting with Harris still holds its attractions due to the defensive qualities he brings. At some stage though he will start the two younger players in a tougher game and then we can really judge.

3. RG has surpassed his younger brother this series, by some distance and looks nailed on for now, GG played his usual solid series and is probably his starting partner, though Cummings might also be an option. Hard to see anyone other than the current group beaking in before the end of this WC cycle though.

4. Hooker is still a bit unclear as well. It would have been useful to see Ashman get a start but we have got to wait a bit longer for that. Brown played well against NZ, but got a case of the yips again at times yesterday. No-one has nailed down that starting shirt yet.

5. We are nearly there in the back row but need to see what kind of shape Watson comes back in and if Darge can get fit again any time soon. To me we missed Richardson from the squad this time and I hope he comes back in for the 6N. Dempsey was ok, but did not set the heather alight, an experiment worth continuing with though.

6. The back 3 pick themselves with BK providing cover. Smith is kicking around as well and looks like he could step up. Good to see Hoggy play well yesterday, his best Scotland game for a long time.

I agree they have ran with that, when it's not something Toony actually said. You can see why they did so though, Gregor shot himself in the foot with the form comment - it was patently nonsense and didn't stand up to any scrutiny. We won't be able to say if being dropped lit a fire under Finn - but I don't see any evidence to suggest he would have been back in the squad if Hastings wasn't injured - so a stroke of good fortune I think. It's been good to see Townsend accepting the obvious and playing him though, he deserves credit for that. Either way, for the good of the team, they both need to put their differences aside and make it through the WC.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Nov 2022, 9:20 am

Yes and no on the form front, in terms of what Toonie said.

Russell form last year was not good and he should probably have been more specific that was what he was referring to.

Whstever he said though, he was never going to win so maybe saying very little was his best option.

I suspect his original plan was to sit him out for the autumn series and likely bring him back in for the 6N, which would have made some sense.

Anyway, events happen and he came back to good effect, which everyone, including Toonie and Russell are likely very pleased with.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Hastings though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

takethelongroad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Nov 2022, 9:42 am

Yes, Hastings and Kinghorn were undermined by this, it seems. However you want to cut it, Toonie hasn't looked too smart as a manager of people.

The unfortunate truth is that the whole team plays better when Russell plays and what nobody is saying is that Russell at 80% is probably better for the team than Hastings at 100%.

England are having something of the same problem. A structured positional kicking game is what Jones is doing but it's not what the fans want to see and England just dug themselves out of a hole with NZ by throwing that plan out and letting Smith attack the gain line and play what was in front of him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

funnyExiledScot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Nov 2022, 9:56 am

George Carlin wrote:

The unfortunate truth is that the whole team plays better when Russell plays well

I would certainly agree with that qualification.

There have also been other occasions when he has not played well and there is an equally good argument that he has brought the team down with him.

It is the inconsistency with Russell that is the maddening thing and is what stops him from maybe being the best FH in the world.

You can bet your life if it frustrstes us as fans, the coach will see that problem magnified many times.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:02 am

Don’t think Hastings is too hard done by. He was picked to start vs Fiji and that was the first game he was available for.

He then got gubbed. It happens.

Blair though has been crapped on from a great height. He’s basically been dropped to the bench after missing that kick (which was difficult) be Oz and hasn’t had a look in since. He needs some TLC or at the very least, told he can go back to FB/wing for Scotland and Edinburgh

We’re then back to Finn and Hastings fighting for the 10 jersey
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:21 am

The BK at FH project is going to continue for sure.

Firstly, it is going pretty well at Edinburgh and they really don't have any other great options. No reason at all to assume that he won't continue to improve as he gets more game time and experience, especially in the big european games thst are coming up.

Hastings was always likely to start one match, he was a player in form and deserved a crack. Remember he was not available for the Australia game, or he may have started then anyway.

Other than the missed kick, BK actually played pretty well against Australia and when he came on against Fiji. As he gets more international experience in the hot seat, he will likely improve.

He is always likely to bench over Hastings as he gives more options and brings a 6/2 bench option into play.

We need 3 decent FHs in our squad and currently those three are Russell, Hastings and BK. The only thing that might change that would be Finn Smith, who Toonie clearly rates, coming on board and even then it is likely that Hastings would be the one to miss out.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:44 pm

I know Russell didn’t play his best in the six nations but that was at the end of a long season, lions tour etc. He had a really short turn around after the SA tour. His form for racing and now Scotland is clearly excellent so that’s where we’re at with Russell going forwards.

For the six nations it probably makes sense to start Russell for most matches but it would be good to see kinghorn and Hastings involved from the bench. Smith getting a cap would be fantastic but realistically this world Cup is coming too soon for him. If he does side with Scotland it would be fantastic to have another exciting prospect in the battle post WC.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:53 pm

BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

The unfortunate truth is that the whole team plays better when Russell plays well

I would certainly agree with that qualification.

There have also been other occasions when he has not played well and there is an equally good argument that he has brought the team down with him.

It is the inconsistency with Russell that is the maddening thing and is what stops him from maybe being the best FH in the world.

You can bet your life if it frustrstes us as fans, the coach will see that problem magnified many times.

Not so sure about this to be honest, he has certainly had games where he hasn't played particularly well - which as a 10 would naturally impact the team - but i'm struggling to remember any real shockers where he was the standout issue in the performance.

There is no doubt he frustrates GT, but from my perspective it's more to do with the fact that he seems to challenge his decisions (not saying this is right or wrong, just an observation) and Townsend finds him difficult to manage.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 21 Nov 2022, 3:02 pm

Finn was pretty poor in the 6N last year apart from the england game.  Why we do not know why and my guess is that he didn't believe in the game plan. He was also knackered from too much rugby

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 22 Nov 2022, 6:08 am

He has not been announced as part of their squad, but it looks like Finn Smith was in training with England this week, spotted on the video in the gym.

We will see what comes of that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 22 Nov 2022, 6:30 am

Much like Arundel was and, to an extent, Redpath I think he is in high enough demand that England will take a punt on him sooner rather than later.

All the more shame that chamberlain was dropped by Edinburgh as he looked like he had potential. Guess we'll just have to see how Jordan keeps developing!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2022, 11:16 am

Is Finn Smith really that great? I don't recall ever seeing him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

He looks a talented player but he's not the next messiah that we should be desperately pushing the boat out for.

A solid all round game as you'd expect from an AP 10 but with more of an attacking edge.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2022, 11:24 am

I bet he hasn't even visited Ayr, the loser.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 22 Nov 2022, 3:25 pm

I'm currently about 20 miles from Ayr in a pea souper and I definitely feel like the relative loser!

NeilyBroon

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 22 Nov 2022, 3:59 pm

Neily's lost a relative in the fog outside Ayr. That's a world class tragedy that is.

jimbopip

RDW, George Carlin and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 22 Nov 2022, 4:22 pm

Brother, sister, Cousin, aunt or uncle?

Oh sorry. Ayrshire. They are often the same thing!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

RDW, bsando, NeilyBroon, jimbopip and Tramptastic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 22 Nov 2022, 4:25 pm

tigertattie wrote:Brother, sister, Cousin, aunt or uncle?

It was when I was trying to turn left and I wasn't sure which of my left hands was the right direction.

NeilyBroon

George Carlin and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2022, 5:56 pm

tigertattie wrote:Brother, sister, Cousin, aunt or uncle?

That's jealousy talking. Come back to me when you can count to 13 on your fingers.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Nov 2022, 9:21 pm

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Nov 2022, 10:27 pm

My takeaways from the AIs:

1. Finn Russell is our best 10, followed by Hastings and then Kinghorn. It was obvious before and it's obvious now. Toonie screwed up. End of.

2. Watson isn't in good form, and either Darge gets a shot in the 6 Nations or Ritchie moves to 7 to permit two from Fagerson, Christie and/or Dempsey to start.

3. We have a decent range of options in the front 5, but I'd like Walker and Berghan to get more exposure before the WC. Love Nel, but I don't think he's an international prop anymore.

4. Hooker is well stocked, as is 9.

5. Centre is still all to play for. My Harris reservations continue and I rate both Tuipolotu (excellent on Saturday) and Redpath, plus a certain Hugh Jones comes back soon (and Bennett has been great this season).

6. Back three is nailed down. Graham is a legend.

I thought we were poor in the first two games, decent against the ABs and good against Argentina. Toonie keeps his job until after the World Cup, at which point I'm willing to take over (assuming Rangers don't offer me the gig).

Oh, and I just secured tickets to Scotland vs Ireland in Paris at the WC next year. Nice.

funnyExiledScot

bsando, EST and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 22 Nov 2022, 10:38 pm

Good summary there @funnyExiledScot Wink.

Also in regards to Fin Smith, he certainly isn't going to get a y gametime for us if Finn Russell and Adam Hastings continue their excellent club form and I suspect Ben Healy may be one surprise in our 6N squad, the other being John Cooney.  I don't think we need either tbh but I have a feeling GT may poach them so Ireland can't and John Cooney so he can get to play in one final world cup, but I could be way off here lol.

Also a quick note that we supposedly (Source is a Facebook group lol) play France on August 5 and a big day for me, (Aug 12) which I'll let you guess the significance of that day with this clue: I'll be getting more dottled in my old age lol.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 23 Nov 2022, 11:06 pm

Anyone else hearing vicious rumours of Finn Russell going to play for Bath next season???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Nov 2022, 11:16 pm

Already discussed on Glasgow Edinburgh ongoing banter!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Nov 2022, 1:40 pm

Did anyone else see those social media videos of Hoggy jumping out of laundry baskets, behind splash mats and from behind doors to scare Van Der Merwe? They're genuinely hilarious, mostly because Hogg is so much smaller than him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 29 Nov 2022, 1:41 pm

Also, John Barclay used to do the same to Hogg iirc. Genuinely hilarious.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 29 Nov 2022, 2:45 pm

I was lucky enough to be invited to the captains run a couple of years ago. Barclay tormented Hogg the whole time . Stole his hat and generally tortured him. It was very funny but I’m not sure Hogg was just as impressed. Chatting to him at the end of the session he mentioned that Barclay reminded him of a large lady bit. All tongue in cheek though

Last edited by Heuer27 on Tue 29 Nov 2022, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 29 Nov 2022, 3:12 pm

Heur, if you find you tongue in cheek when presented with a large lady's part...you've missed.

jimbopip

Heuer27 and Mcsweens like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 30 Nov 2022, 9:09 pm

More John Cooney chat lately. He's 32 so would very much be a one hit wonder with the WC in mind.

I'm not actively against his involvement but I just don't see the need for him, not the message it sends to our younger 9s.

He is a decent goalkicker though...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 30 Nov 2022, 9:28 pm

If we're poaching Irish players now I'd rather try Ben Healy. The need is definitely greater at 10 again.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 01 Dec 2022, 11:26 am

Big middle finger to the SRU website for timing out my Scotland vs Wales tickets basket as I was paying. Absolutely livid!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Dec 2022, 11:37 am

I struggled to get mine, but was successful in the end. Kept bouncing my credit card as I was entering the numbers.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 01 Dec 2022, 11:42 am

Well done Risca! It was a mad rush by looks of it

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 01 Dec 2022, 12:43 pm

RDW wrote:More John Cooney chat lately. He's 32 so would very much be a one hit wonder with the WC in mind.

I'm not actively against his involvement but I just don't see the need for him, not the message it sends to our younger 9s.

He is a decent goalkicker though...

He would be up against George Horne I guess as Price and white seem to be the first choices for Scotland now. After Horne its Dobie but his chances probably depend on his form for Glasgow over this long period of club rugby. From a competition point of view it seems really good and despite his age he still seems really sharp for Ulster.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 02 Dec 2022, 12:58 am

I've heard Rumours (great album) that Ben Healy and John Cooney have both been seen at Oriam recently. Does anyone know if this has any substance?

This sort of thing used to make me really pissed off when I was younger. Now I really struggle to care. I'm really not sure whether that is despair or maturity, or something else entirely (I just turned 40).

Either way, it's pretty obvious that we can't really beat Ireland these days without pulling off a major upset. Maybe the best thing to do is be Irish.

Down with this sort of thing. Careful now.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Dec 2022, 10:17 am

Mcsweens wrote:I've heard Rumours (great album) that Ben Healy and John Cooney have both been seen at Oriam recently. Does anyone know if this has any substance?

This sort of thing used to make me really pissed off when I was younger. Now I really struggle to care. I'm really not sure whether that is despair or maturity, or something else entirely (I just turned 40).

Either way, it's pretty obvious that we can't really beat Ireland these days without pulling off a major upset. Maybe the best thing to do is be Irish.

Happy birthday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 02 Dec 2022, 1:46 pm

RDW wrote:
Mcsweens wrote:I've heard Rumours (great album) that Ben Healy and John Cooney have both been seen at Oriam recently. Does anyone know if this has any substance?

Happy birthday!

Cheers mate. It does feel a bit weird to have passed this milestone! The days are long but the years are short

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 02 Dec 2022, 3:27 pm

With Cooney is this the SRU chasing him or is it he is desperate fora chance to play in the WC and offering his services?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 02 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

Cooney spoke about this to the Ulster Rugby show on BBC 2 this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63811086 is an article with some quotes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001fq1s/ulster-rugby-the-ulster-rugby-show-01122022 is the full show where he talks about it

Given he would likely be forced out of Ulster if he did it I'd be sad as an Ulster supporter but couldn't begrudge him the chance given he was overlooked at Ireland level most because of behind the scenes politics

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 06 Dec 2022, 7:15 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else a bit nervous of who will be left to take over the Scotland reigns when Toonie gets jettisoned after an abysmal and humiliating WC  exit at the group stages again.
First Wales and now England have ejected their under performing head coaches. You just know we are going to be left with an undercooked Mike Blair and pals. It’s going to be ‘ look what you could have won’ in the coaches lottery. Scott Robertson is desperate for a NH gig, Dan McFarland was kicked to the curb etc etc. I mean most of the Ulster management team are Scottish ffs. I would really like to see what Cheika could do with our squad, I mean look what he’s done with the Pumas. Anyways I’m away for a lie down

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Dec 2022, 9:16 pm

We're all assuming that Toonie will be given the boot after the WC!

Unless we qualify from that group - which won't happen - he needs to go for some fresh ideas.l

I think we need to lower our expectations of who we could get though. Pivac and Jones especially has thrown the market in disarray,, happening a year earlier than would have been expected. Saying that, Wales have gone back to Gats and all signs point to Borthwick getting the England gig.

Robertson is the hot ticket in coaching right now but he'll be holding out for the ABs job, where Foster's coat is very much on a shooglie peg.

O'Gara...? Would Scotland fans want him?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 06 Dec 2022, 9:43 pm

Defo not O’Gara. He hates the Scottish. Has done ever since one of his own players tried to choke him in a ruck and he blamed a Scottish player.

Toonie will be jettisoned if we don’t qualify. The fans would not put up with another four years of what has unfolded during his tenure.

It’s coaches pass the parcel and we will be left without a seat.

I really think the SRU needs to push the boat out and recruit a top coaching team. There is plenty of talent in the squad but it has under performed for years and the players are getting on now.

Covid has destroyed our succession planning and there is going to be a large talent hole in the next few years which will require a canny coaching team to squeeze the most out of what we have. A la Gatland when he arrived in Cardiff.

Before this week I was hopeful Scotland would have a fairly successful 6N but I have a real foreboding that the new coaches in place will catapult both England and Wales ahead of us . Italy are starting to reap the rewards of the restructuring and development  of a few years ago.

Can see us having. Real ding dong with them to avoid a spoon this year.

As Ewan said it’s poopie being Scottish

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Dec 2022, 9:50 pm

Yeah that's a worry if mine too - the first two games we play will be against teams who will be on the short-term high you get from a new coaching team.

And we've never beaten feckin Gatland...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 06 Dec 2022, 10:45 pm

Why would you worry about who's going to be available in TEN/ELEVEN months!? Coaches will go after the world cup so there won't be a shortage of contenders.

I still hope for Dan McFarland or perhaps Leo Cullen :P.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Dec 2022, 10:51 pm

Highland Shaun wrote:Why would you worry about who's going to be available in TEN/ELEVEN months!? Coaches will go after the world cup so there won't be a shortage of contenders.

Which coaches will go, and who are the realistic contenders for Scotland?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 06 Dec 2022, 11:37 pm

I'm not going to mention all that will go as the list could be endless but one I will mention who Is realistic: Jamie Joseph Wink. Another unrealistic coach I'd like to see as our next head coach is Alex Sanderson 😂.

Then there is possibilities from the Premiership if clubs change coach at the end of this season, Pat Lam is a contender too imho.

Ewen McKenzie could be in the mix too as he was very close to the job before Vern got it instead.

See where I'm coming from, I really wouldn't worry about this until October/November when we know that we are starting the search for a new head coach!

BTW I am not trying to argue or fall out with you, I'm just stating why I think you're wrong to worry about this :-P

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Dec 2022, 7:31 am

RDW wrote:
Highland Shaun wrote:Why would you worry about who's going to be available in TEN/ELEVEN months!? Coaches will go after the world cup so there won't be a shortage of contenders.

Dan MacFarland signed a long term deal with Ulster so I suspect he'd be expensive.

Pat Lam is the Prem's most expensive head coach so unlikely he'd be sacked or eligible for buy out unless things go very badly at Bristol.

Chances of Leo Cullen leaving Leinster unless it's for the Ireland job = nil I'd have thought.

Sanderson might be tempted out of Sale, he probably fancies the England job at some point so taking over Scotland and doing a good job there would increase his profile.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 07 Dec 2022, 7:34 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
RDW wrote:

Dan MacFarland signed a long term deal with Ulster so I suspect he'd be expensive.

Pat Lam is the Prem's most expensive head coach so unlikely he'd be sacked or eligible for buy out unless things go very badly at Bristol.

Chances of Leo Cullen leaving Leinster unless it's for the Ireland job = nil I'd have thought.

Sanderson might be tempted out of Sale, he probably fancies the England job at some point so taking over Scotland and doing a good job there would increase his profile.

This is what I was getting at with Highland Shaun - we won't have a queue of top class internal coaches banging on our door after the world cup. The SRU will have a big decision to make if they get rid of Toonie as they'll probably have to take a punt on someone.

Lam was looking like the next big thing but his stock has massively dropped after Bristol's fall from grace last year.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next