The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

+32
Oakdene
mikey_dragon
Pot Hale
Kingshu
Welshmushroom
Maine man
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete330v2
Anglobraveheart
LeinsterFan4life
TJ
EWT Spoons
formerly known as Sam
EST
Mad for Chelsea
NeilyBroon
Collapse2005
demosthenes
RiscaGame
Mcsweens
Hazel Sapling
Heuer27
doctor_grey
Tramptastic
sensisball
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
jimbopip
bsando
BigGee
RDW
George Carlin
36 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger - Page 20 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Dec 2022, 7:11 am

First topic message reminder :

29 threads. There is officially something wrong with us.

https://www.606v2.com/t70624p1000-glasgow-and-edinburgh-28-and-counting-the-banter-goes-on?ns=7ndk62cdm0w%3D#4069230

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 17 Dec 2022, 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

Post by RDW Tue 17 Oct 2023, 9:37 pm

BigGee wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Luan de Bruin has underwhelmed so far and is in the final year of his deal. Considering he probably was not cheap, I suspect he will be gone

This has surprised and disappointed me as Edinburgh are my second club team. When de Bruin was at Tigers he impressed on his weaker LH side. In brief opportunities on the TH he looked like a beast. It just hasn't quite happened at Edinburgh though. It's not like he's playing with weak props around him either. Schoe, Nel, Venter and de Bruin looks like a strong group on paper.

He has been injured pretty much the whole time he has been there, so hard to know what he is really like.

He needs to show a bit of form this season or he will be off in the summer with a poorer reputation than he arrived with.

Yeah he's looked decent when fit but can't string a run of games together. He is an absolute beast so I hope he comes good - it's not like we're overflowing with top THs in Scottish rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

Post by bsando Thu 19 Oct 2023, 10:07 am

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/sean-everitt-i-want-to-build-a-bigger-brand-than-edinburghs-urc-team/

Gréât write up on Everitt and his plans for Edinburgh. Four month of pre season! Three with him in charge! They must be raring to go this weekend. It sounds like the younger talent have been given an opportunity to show what they’re made of which is a positive start to his tenure.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 19 Oct 2023, 10:24 am

Well lads, the season kicks off this weekend.
I hope Healey (hereafter known as Harry Lime, or The Third Man) and Javan have brought their well padded cushions with them. The World Cup was the perfect training camp for them; all that sitting on the bench, being third choice stand off behind a real stand off and Blarehorn OR being voted Fatboy Least Likely to start a game. Apparently they are both being issued with tracksuits with the club's new motto, Plus ca change, plus ca le meme chose. The smart money will be on the Dragons Fourths to scrape a win.

Meanwhile the rugby club have their work cut out against the Ladyboys Thirds.
I'd like to see;
1. Kebble McBeth
2.Scouse Jonny Fraser
3. Sordoni Pirate
4. PetersonWilliams
5. Big Manjessie Samuels
6. Brown
7. Mullet
8. Miller Big Shona
9' House Elf Brimful Of Afshar
10. Thompson
11. OtherMullet
12. Stafford Jordan
13. Seaman
14. Seba
15.McKay

I'd also like to see Glasgow gub them and take 5 points.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Oct 2023, 10:32 am

bsando wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/sean-everitt-i-want-to-build-a-bigger-brand-than-edinburghs-urc-team/

Gréât write up on Everitt and his plans for Edinburgh. Four month of pre season! Three with him in charge! They must be raring to go this weekend. It sounds like the younger talent have been given an opportunity to show what they’re made of which is a positive start to his tenure.
That's a great read and he sounds like he knows his stuff. He also sounds like he's ego-free and into the love of the game which I think is absolutely vital. As with Franco, he could be another gem and it sounds like he could have had a number of top jobs before this but didn't want to uproot his family.

This was quite chilling reading:

In the URC, Edinburgh lost their way. Things unravelled apace. They scored 70 tries, but leaked 62. The average scoreline was 26-26. They kicked the least ball from hand in the competition and had a dire goalkicking rate of 61%. It was white-knuckle stuff, but it wasn’t winning rugby. They wheezed to a 12th place finish, tumbling out of Europe’s top tier.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Oct 2023, 10:34 am

bsando wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/sean-everitt-i-want-to-build-a-bigger-brand-than-edinburghs-urc-team/

I actually quite like that he's been made a senior coach and just focusing on developing the players and team. There's surely enough administrators at the SRU to take away the distractions that Blair complained about.

Edinburgh are massively underperforming for the players they have - is he the guy to fix that? We'll see.

I hadn't realised our goalkicking was so crap.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Oct 2023, 10:43 am

Edinburgh has got the perfect start to the season really. No disrespect intended to the Drags.

Getting off to a winning start is very important, especially after a season like last and a new coach.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 19 Oct 2023, 10:45 am

Were Edinburgh without Boffelli for a lot of last season? If we were reliant on Blairhorn for place kicking then its no wonder the wheels came off.

as chilling as those stats are, with an average score of 26-26 it does suggest a lot of games could have been won if indeed the burgh actually made their kicks.

RDW - agree with you on the hope that team management/recruitment is taken on by a new role... they could create a job title like "Team Manager" - i know i know, its quite "out the box" thinking but who knows, it might just work.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 19 Oct 2023, 12:43 pm

jimbopip wrote:Well lads, the season kicks off this weekend.

Meanwhile the rugby club have their work cut out against the Ladyboys Thirds.
I'd like to see;
1. Kebble  McBeth
2.Scouse Jonny Fraser
3. Sordoni Pirate
4. PetersonWilliams
5. Big Manjessie Samuels
6. Brown
7. Mullet
8. Miller Big Shona
9' House Elf Brimful Of Afshar
10. Thompson
11. OtherMullet
12. Stafford Jordan
13. Seaman
14. Seba
15.McKay

I'd also like to see Glasgow gub them and take 5 points.

Who have Glasgow got back from the RWC? I assume it would have been Bhatti, Matthews, Cummings, G Horne and Steyn would all be in with a shout. If so, Cummings to start next to Petersen and Manjezi to bench. Horne benches over Afshar.

At the start of last year, Franco liked to have Manjezi at six. Brown is a big BS in his own right so interesting to see who wins the competition for the BS spot over the course of the season. Brown and Crosbie could offer a completely different option for Scotland to Ritchie.

Mullet did not have a good first year, largely looking off the pace when he returned from injury. Hopefully he can get back to form. We looked better at the start of the season when Franco was not using a traditional OS for the first half of last season playing Vailanu. We struggled to integrate Gordon and even Darge (to an extent) when they returned from injury

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 19 Oct 2023, 12:56 pm

Yeah Edinburgh stats were pretty woeful last season. Which means the only way is up! Right? …

Seriously though, Healy is a magnificent kicker so surely that’s gained Edinburgh 4-5 places on twelfth already? I’d hope for a top 6 finish minimum this season but it’s a pretty competitive league now.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Oct 2023, 8:32 pm

URC has changed Champions Cup qualifying this year to top 8 shootout regardless of national or where you stand in your Shield. Shield will be decided by games between your home nations only, so a bit pointless.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 19 Oct 2023, 9:37 pm

BigGee wrote:Edinburgh has got the perfect start to the season really. No disrespect intended to the Drags.

Getting off to a winning start is very important, especially after a season like last and a new coach.

I’d have my knives out for Dai Flanagan after one game, if we lost at home to many teams. It’s not a Leinster or top SA team coming to Dave.

A perfect start would be a home game for Edinburgh. I’m sure Edinburgh will win now, but there’s nothing perfect about any away game.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Oct 2023, 9:43 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
BigGee wrote:Edinburgh has got the perfect start to the season really. No disrespect intended to the Drags.

I’d have my knives out for Dai Flanagan after one game, if we lost at home to many teams. It’s not a Leinster or top SA team coming to Dave.

A perfect start would be a home game for Edinburgh. I’m sure Edinburgh will win now, but there’s nothing perfect about any away game.

At this point in time, you might prefer Leinster or a SA side coming over without any WC players!

In truth the first game up is always a bit of a lottery, Glasgow got hammered last year by Benetton and then had a great season.

Who knows how it will pan out, both sides will likely fancy their chances.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Oct 2023, 9:54 pm

BigGee wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:

At this point in time, you might prefer Leinster or a SA side coming over without any WC players!

In truth the first game up is always a bit of a lottery, Glasgow got hammered last year by Benetton and then had a great season.

Who knows how it will pan out, both sides will likely fancy their chances.

It's a damming indictment of the Scottish psyche that I would have rathered a tough opening match that we weren't expected to win - takes the pressure off a new coach and young squad. Means the more winnable games are when we have full reinforcements back.

We really need to beat the Dragons if we are to have any hope of a Top 8 finish. And that means pressure!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 12:13 pm

1 Oli Kebble (85)
2 Angus Fraser (3)
3 Zander Fagerson (128)
4 Greg Peterson (32)
5 Scott Cummings (106)
6 Gregor Brown (12)
7 Rory Darge (32)
8 Henco Venter (0)

9 Jamie Dobie (51)
10 Tom Jordan (24)
11 Kyle Steyn (C) (65)
12 Stafford McDowall (57)
13 Huw Jones (59)
14 Sebastian Cancelliere (25)
15 Josh McKay (27)

Replacements

16 Johnny Matthews (50)
17 Nathan McBeth (24)
18 Lucio Sordoni (15)
19 Alex Samuel (7)
20 Ally Miller (14)
21 Thomas Gordon (65)
22 George Horne (99)
23 Duncan Weir (133)

Unavailable for selection: Fraser Brown (knee), Facundo Cordero (ankle), Euan Ferrie (ankle), JP du Preez (knee), Murphy Walker (calf).

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 12:14 pm

Well that is a much stronger Glasgow team than we were thinking it might be.

In some ways Franco's selections are always more intriguing than Toonies used to be!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 Oct 2023, 12:30 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Dragons RFC at Rodney Parade in the BKT United Rugby Championship
Saturday 21 October (kick-off 3.05pm) – live on Viaplay

15. Cammy Scott (3)

14. Ross McCann*
13. Mark Bennett (88)
12. Matt Currie (18)
11. Wes Goosen (10)

10. Ben Healy*
9. Ben Vellacott (38) CAPTAIN

1. Boan Venter (46)
2. Dave Cherry (71)
3. Javan Sebastian*
4. Glen Young (22)
5. Jamie Hodgson (53)
6. Sam Skinner (14)
7. Cameron Neild*
8. Tom Dodd*

Replacements 

16. Adam McBurney (20)
17 Robin Hislop (19)
18. Angus Williams (20)
19. Marshall Sykes (41)
20. Luke Crosbie (84)
21. Charlie Shiel (56)
22. Chris Dean (135)
23. Jordan Edmunds*

Unavailable: Luan de Bruin (back), Darcy Graham (hip), Mikey Jones (ankle), James Lang (calf), Ben Muncaster (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring), Tim Swiel (ankle), Jamie Ritchie (shoulder).

International rest: Ewan Ashman, Grant Gilchrist, Blair Kinghorn, Viliame Mata, Duhan van der Merwe, WP Nel, Pierre Schoeman, Hamish Watson.

International selection: Emiliano Boffelli

Got to fee for the young lads and squad players who have done 4 months of pre season then a load of players who turned up a week ago get picked ahead of you...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 20 Oct 2023, 12:41 pm

why does Hamish Watson need a rest??? he played 1 game!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 12:43 pm

Edmunds and McCann, a couple of sevens players in the Edinburgh squad. Must have made a good jmpression in pre season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 Oct 2023, 12:52 pm

Tramptastic wrote:why does Hamish Watson need a rest??? he played 1 game!
I wondered the same!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 20 Oct 2023, 1:14 pm

Here's the Dubs.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):
15. Ciarán Frawley (67)
14. Tommy O’Brien (30)
13. Liam Turner (20)
12. Charlie Ngatai (15)
11. Jordan Larmour (89)
10. Harry Byrne (51)
9. Luke McGrath (196)

1. Jack Boyle (2)
2. John McKee (20)
3. Thomas Clarkson (27)
4. Ross Molony (162)
5. Jason Jenkins (19)
6. Max Deegan (98)
7. Scott Penny (56) CAPTAIN
8. James Culhane (3)

Replacements:
16. Lee Barron (7)
17. Paddy McCarthy (0)
18. Rory McGuire (0)
19. Brian Deeny (13)
20. Rhys Ruddock (221)
21. Cormac Foley (11)
22. Sam Prendergast (2)
23. Will Connors (36)

There's an awful lot of experience in that stating XV. Mind you when the replacement front row comes on with 7, yes 7, appearances between them and packs down against our starting front row; 216 appearances between them, or our replacement front row of ; Macbeth-Scouse Jonny-Sordoni it could be a bit of a mismatch.
The General going 6/2 again and it looks like he really wants to start the season with a bang.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 20 Oct 2023, 1:44 pm

Glasgow have to make hay in the front five. Jenkins and Malony are proven club players, otherwise Leinster look not far off an academy side in the front row. Playing Zander is a statement of intent particularly against a LH with 2 professional appearances in year three of his academy contract (backed up with a bloke making his professional bow in his first year of the academy).

Darge also saw a bit of action in an attritional position, would have thought Gordon would have been enough to allow him a week off.

No Ross Thompson is a bit concerning.

Fair chance to win away in Dublin in what would usually be our toughest game of the season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 1:51 pm

It's a home game for Glasgow, not in Dublin.

Probably why we are going in so strong so early. League is going to be very tight this year snd we will need to bank our home games.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Hazel Sapling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 20 Oct 2023, 4:27 pm

yeh a bit concerned that Jordan, whilst a good stand in, is ahead of Thompson at 10!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 4:44 pm

FH probably the weak link for Glasgow atm and that definitely cost us at the end of last season.

Thompson does seem to be fit now but has not played at this level for some time, maybe this was not the game to drop him back in.

Does not disguise the fact that we hsve a decent IC, an old man and a unestablished young player as our FH options.

Hopefully Thompson will step back up but we are only an injury away from big problems again.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 20 Oct 2023, 4:48 pm

From my neutral perspective that looks like a pretty strong team. Leinster will have to play very well to beat this Glasgow side at home.

For me this is the game of the weekend now that I have seen the lineups.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 20 Oct 2023, 4:56 pm

Thank you Biggee, it would have helped if I checked who was home

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 20 Oct 2023, 6:05 pm

BigGee wrote:FH probably the weak link for Glasgow atm and that definitely cost us at the end of last season.

Thompson does seem to be fit now but has not played at this level for some time, maybe this was not the game to drop him back in.

Does not disguise the fact that we hsve a decent IC, an old man and a unestablished young player as our FH options.   furious  furious  furious  furious  furious

Hopefully Thompson will step back up but we are only an injury away from big problems again.

Gee, I've been on the blower to the Vatican chin  apparently they can't rescind your sainted status without going through the proper disciplinary process. Actually, what they said was, "Are there miners involved?" I pointed out that we are playing some Tayto munchers (at home Hazel picard ) not a bunch of Taff ne'erdowells. Their attitude was that as long as the decent youngster was old enough to have plukes it should be OK.

However, Meatball is not an Old Man. warning warning warning He is the Peter Pan of professional rugby; always on the cusp of glory and full of infectious laughter and joi de vie.
Young Jordan may well be a decent IC, fecced if I know because the General refuses to play him there, but he has shown that he is steady enough at 10. Maybe he's not quite a 10 but he's 5/8ths of one. drumroll
Ross The Wonder Kid will come good soon enough. Fret ye not.

Anyhoo, badmouth the Meatball again and your beatification shall be reversed. What does reversed beatification look like in the flesh? Just look at Fes.

jimbopip

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 6:23 pm

I see Sam Grahamslaw is on the bench for Bristol tomorrow evening. Hopefully he can kick on his career there after Jersey going belly up.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 20 Oct 2023, 7:49 pm

BigGee wrote:I see Sam Grahamslaw is on the bench for Bristol tomorrow evening. Hopefully he can kick on his career there after Jersey going belly up.
He played very well with Jersey last season by all reports. A bit of a coming of age season where his scrummaging matched the loose work you'd expect of an age grade back row. Championship form doesn't always translate to the Premiership but prop and winger are the two positions where it does more often IMO.

He's replaced the highly rated Andrew Turner who was getting game time on loan with the Crusaders at the end of the Super Rugby season. Bristol release an unavailable list with their 23 and Turner isn't on that either, so Grahamslaw has replaced him on merit about a week after joining. Turner was an unused replacement against Tigers last weekend though. So I'm not sure if that positive for Grahamslaw or another negative for Turner...

king_carlos

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Oct 2023, 7:56 pm

king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:I see Sam Grahamslaw is on the bench for Bristol tomorrow evening. Hopefully he can kick on his career there after Jersey going belly up.
He played very well with Jersey last season by all reports. A bit of a coming of age season where his scrummaging matched the loose work you'd expect of an age grade back row. Championship form doesn't always translate to the Premiership but prop and winger are the two positions where it does more often IMO.

He's replaced the highly rated Andrew Turner who was getting game time on loan with the Crusaders at the end of the Super Rugby season. Bristol release an unavailable list with their 23 and Turner isn't on that either, so Grahamslaw has replaced him on merit about a week after joining. Turner was an unused replacement against Tigers last weekend though. So I'm not sure if that positive for Grahamslaw or another negative for Turner...

Lets hope he gets on and has a decent game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 21 Oct 2023, 3:53 pm

Well fair to say 4 months of preseason has done sweet FA apparently!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 21 Oct 2023, 4:00 pm

Luvvies providing proof that nominative determinism really exists.

If the Drags scrum hadn't been bleeding penalties the Luvvies would be dead and buried already.

Big Gee said 10 could be Glasgow's weakspot this season.... whoever plays there will look like Phil Bennet besides Ben Healey so far.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 21 Oct 2023, 4:16 pm

jimbopip wrote:Luvvies providing proof that nominative determinism really exists.

If the Drags scrum hadn't been bleeding penalties the Luvvies would be dead and buried already.

Big Gee said 10 could be Glasgow's weakspot this season.... whoever plays there will look like Phil Bennet besides Ben Healey so far.

Must admit he looks like a poor man's Dan Parks right now. Almost GoodGodMan level!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 21 Oct 2023, 4:51 pm

Connor Boyle and Marshall Sykes however... Look very handy. They've changed the momentum between them.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 Oct 2023, 9:19 pm

Good win Edinburgh in the end! Sounds like not the best of games...?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 21 Oct 2023, 10:40 pm

RDW wrote:Good win Edinburgh in the end! Sounds like not the best of games...?

Dragons took the game to Edinburgh scoring two tries in the first half. Went in I think it was 16-3 or something. Edinburgh came out in second half, dragons gave away a lot of penalties (20 total) that was the difference.

Edinburgh's attack looked shoddy to say the least, crabbing sideways followed by a kick. Healy got motm, to be fair he was fairly unflappable and put in some decent kicks but had a very poor first half along with vellacott. Standout for me was Boyle who really stepped up to gain control up front and Scott had a decent first start at FB, especially under high ball.

I think this should be "a win's a win" and move on for Edinburgh.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 22 Oct 2023, 12:17 am

Well I'm a glutton for punishment so watched the game. Edinburgh were dreadful in the first half and Dragons were the much better team. Second half we were much better and really took control of the game and deserving of the win. And that's a win not to be sniffed at - our first away win in year, and it's always a dogfight away to the Dragons.

I don't think we should read to much into that performance. The team was a mix of squad filler and fringe Scotland players who probably only had 3 training sessions leading up to the game. Healy had a mixed game but exerted control in the 2nd half, which ultimately won us the game. Don't think we can criticise him too much given he's brand new to the club and again would have only had a handful of training sessions. He was guilty of forcing pre planned moves that weren't on though.

Cammy Scott had some nice touches but can see him struggling to get much gametime this season, either at 10 or 15.

The new coach has a tough task on his hands to find the balance between a team with a natural attacking identity but losing culture, combined with a new controlling 10. Hopefully he can work out a way of marrying up Healy's control with our dangerous back 3.

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 22 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Luvvies providing proof that nominative determinism really exists.

Must admit he looks like a poor man's Dan Parks right now. Almost GoodGodMan level!

So he shall be known hereafter as Halfdan Healey.

jimbopip

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 22 Oct 2023, 6:06 pm

jimbopip wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

So he shall be known hereafter as Halfdan Healey.

Honoured to have found a way into the Jimbo nickname roster!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Oct 2023, 6:12 pm

Not seen the game yet but the Mighty Warriors looked like they started the season with a bang!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 22 Oct 2023, 9:13 pm

BigGee wrote:Not seen the game yet but the Mighty Warriors looked like they started the season with a bang!

Not that difficult in the end against a raw enough Leinster squad. It’ll do them good to get a loss under their belt to kick the season off.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Oct 2023, 9:24 pm

BigGee wrote:Not seen the game yet but the Mighty Warriors looked like they started the season with a bang!
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 22 Oct 2023, 9:29 pm

Woah good win Glasgow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 23 Oct 2023, 7:52 am

Congrats Glasgow, a great win. Hoping for a good season from you guys.

LeinsterFan4life

George Carlin, jimbopip and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 23 Oct 2023, 9:16 am

RDW wrote:Well I'm a glutton for punishment...

Comes with supporting scottish rugby!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 23 Oct 2023, 9:19 am

George Carlin wrote:

GC, it was good and bad in, almost , equal measures.

Our scrum was massively on top and harvested penalties for us.
Our lineout was a total shambles and allowed them back into the game several times. Scrum, penalty to us, kick to the corner, throw the ball to them. They drive up field, knock on. Scrum. Repeat. picard
We scored 43 points,7 tries, which is our best ever against them.
We conceded 25 points. At times it was very close and they has the lead at times.
Leinster had a chance to score just before half time which would have brought the scores to within 1 point. Given how much we had dominated territory and possession that would have been a real kick in the teeth. Glasgow defended their line for about three minutes before winning a turnover. This was a big point in the match. However, the second half began with another siege on our line; another heroic defensive stand and a penalty turnover won. We kicked to touch, actually won the lineout and then conceded a penalty when Darge and Mullet got in each others way at the tail of the line. Leinster kicked to the corner and scored from the maul. As I say, we kept finding ways to let them into the game.

There were points which were painfully reminiscent of the Ireland win in the WC. We spent the first five minutes sending wave after wave of attacks at their line and scored nothing. The first time they crossed the halfway line they got a penalty and took three points. I was feeling deja vu all over again. No tiger, deja vu is not my pet name for MrsPip It wasn't until we scored in the 12th minute that my nerves began to settle.
The two teams had very contrasting playing styles. Leinster wanted to keep it tight and drive up through one out rugby. Glasgow put width on it and ran at every opportunity. I think Glasgow ended up with 43% possession but that is because the Dubs spent so much time picking and driving and making glacial progress up the pitch.
There were some very good performances; Stafford and Huw Jones were excellent. N.B. if you see Shug's post match interview.....he has DIMPLES FFS. Although I'm beginning to have my doubts about Josh McKay. He is very fast, has a great skill set...but I'm not sure the application is always all it could be. Certainly I'd have Smith at 15 rather than him.
So, in the end a comfortable win. But we should have been out of sight much sooner.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Oct 2023, 9:33 am

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20