The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 19 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun 18 Dec 2022, 6:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 19 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 3:06 pm

Yep, they're definitely in with a shout thanks to this partnership. Four down, these two both past 50, ten overs left, required rate below 11.

Just about possible. If either Edwards or Nidamanuru bats through the overs they'll be close.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 3:30 pm

Nidamanuru gets to his ton courtesy of three consecutive fours, then shortly after he gets dropped in the outfield. Quite an easy take, too!

62 from 36, still only four down.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 3:31 pm

Some fight here from the Dutch but they have it in them.

Oh dear Edwards gone caught and bowled...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 3:40 pm

All collapsing here for the Dutch now after one hell of a fight. Destroying the West Indies NRR and that may be crucial in the super 6's.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 3:42 pm

Yeah, it is all done now. Edwards' dismissal was so tame, now Nidamanuru out after a heroic 111.

But they've run the West Indies a lot closer than many would have believed.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 3:55 pm

No, wait, the Dutch are fighting back again! Wide, 4, 6 to start the 49th over v Chase.

Down to 19 off 10. And another four! Flat hit through midwicket. Single, dot, wide, and another boundary from a full toss.

I simply don't believe what I see. The Netherlands need nine off this final over to beat the West Indies. Joseph to bowl it. Seven down.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 4:04 pm

And a four through the covers to start!

Single to follow up. Then a catch at long-off as the batsman, Dutt, went for broke and tried to win it with a 6. Not sure he needed to.

4 off 3 now. New batsman, a number ten, taking guard. Swing and a miss, so they run a bye.

3 off 2. And they sprint two, do they? Or is there a short run? No, it's ruled good! Very marginal.

1 off 1. It's caught! Couldn't pull it through the infield. Diving take. Or is it a no-ball? No that's fine as well.

I believe it's a tie and one point each. But the commentator is saying it's a Super Over? Yep, apparently it will be a Super Over.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 4:16 pm

Christ, Dutch not p!ssing about with this Super Over. Four from van Beek first up, followed by launching a full toss for six. Then a short ball is crashed for four! 14 off 3. And another six! Holder served that up in the slot and van Beek accepted. This is sensational.

Ball gets changed...and van Beek hits the biggest six of the day. I fail to believe my eyes once more. And the last ball, very short, is hit for four.

van Beek has scored 30 off a super over. This is madness.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 4:31 pm

The West Indies have sent out Shai Hope for a Super Over?! That's madness. van Beek to bowl it.

But Charles is on strike, and he strikes the first ball for six. Still life in it. But the next is just a single. Four sixes or bust, with Shai Hope on strike. And it's just a single. Follow it up with two wickets and the Netherlands win!

One of the best ODIs ever. Pooran with an unbeaten ton getting the West Indies to a monster score off 374. The Dutch with a bright start, but at 170/4 with 21 overs left, all seemed lost. Until Nidamanuru struck 111 and Edwards supported him with 67. But when both of those fell, the Netherlands were still well adrift.

Somehow, van Beek and Dutt drove the Netherlands close. They needed 30 off the last two overs, but they got it down to 5 off 5. Only to not win it after Dutt was caught and then van Beek out on the last ball.

So, a super over. They're tense, right? Tell van Beek that, he hit 30 off of Jason Holder. 30! Must be a record. And the West Indies didn't get close. Bowled out in fact. By van Beek himself.

One of the greatest ODIs ever. And two things to say:

1) The Netherlands did this while missed about half of their first team. Astonishing.

2) The West Indies will not be making the World Cup. It's a shocker. They won the first two World Cups. They've declined immensely as a cricketing power, and nothing sums it up more than missing the World Cup for the first time in their history.

Reason being for why they will not make it is that they carry 0 points to the Super Six stage. Even if they win their final three games, six points is almost certainly not going to be enough. And, on current evidence, they're not beating Sri Lanka who are one of those three.

Yeah...what a game. Take a bow, van Beek, Nidamanuru, Edwards...in fact the whole Dutch team. I'm very sorry for writing them off multiple times.

Scotland v Sri Lanka tomorrow. Winner gets the points for the Super Six stage.

Duty281

Lowlandbrit and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 4:52 pm

Well now, what can I say. I did say not to write the Dutch off yet found myself doing just that with 24 balls to go and wickets dropping.

Massive character shown by them and you would think that its too much for the West Indies to do to recover from this.

Having lived in De Nederlands for 2+ years, I am so proud of the lads (ik ben zeer trots op hunnie).

That is without a doubt one of the best ODI matches I have seen, fantastic stuff.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 27 Jun 2023, 2:35 am

Wow that must have been quite a match...It is a bit sad to see how far West Indies have fallen but all credit to the brave Dutch lads thumbsup

Ten teams only was always going to mean a risk of a "big" team missing out - but honestly I reckon 10 teams is the best arrangement for the 50 over cup. Of course it is back to 14 next time , unfortunately. I think they should keep the mass participation for the t20 where anyone can surprise on a day ; but I am sure many will disagree.

You'd think Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe will make the cut. But the others will hope - probably not so much West Indies after this ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 27 Jun 2023, 10:58 am

Do we all fancy another upset, because Scotland have got Sri Lanka on the ropes?

Sri Lanka 203/4, followed by Greaves getting two in two and Watt getting another in the next over = Sri Lanka are now 209/7.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 27 Jun 2023, 11:36 am

Sri Lanka all out for 245, thanks to an aggressive effort in the field from Scotland. Sri Lanka struggled early on, but after 39 overs it looked as though they were on course to post 300+, and then Scotland took three wickets in nine balls to put themselves in charge. Greaves 4/32 and Watt 3/52.

246 for Scotland to win and take forward maximum points into the Super Six stage, which would give them a very real chance of qualification. It's all about how they handle Hasaranga, who no team have been able to handle thus far.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 27 Jun 2023, 1:12 pm

Ah, looks like business as usual. On a pitch doing quite a bit, unusually, Scotland slumped to 60/4. Now Hasaranga's been introduced and it's 73/5. Unless Scotland have another unlikely comeback in them, it's looking all over.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 27 Jun 2023, 2:24 pm

Scotland bowled out for 163, despite Greaves' half-century. A chance missed for Scotland, they may not get a better one.

So the Super Six - Sri Lanka - 4 points; Zimbabwe - 4 points; Netherlands - 2 points; Scotland - 2 points; West Indies - 0 points; Oman - 0 points.

Obviously difficult to look beyond Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe as the qualifying teams. Zimbabwe just need to beat Oman and Scotland to get to 8 points, which will surely be enough. Sri Lanka, perhaps their fixture list is a bit trickier - they play Zimbabwe, Netherlands and the West Indies - but they'll still be confident. Two wins and they're surely through.

But the Netherlands and Scotland aren't entirely out of contention. Scotland have got the West Indies, Zimbabwe and the Netherlands. If Scotland could beat Zimbabwe and pick up one other win, they're right in the mix. The Netherlands have got Sri Lanka, Oman and Scotland, so two games they'll be confident of winning.

West Indies and Oman surely out of contention. The West Indies need a perfect run and other results to go their way, and on current form a perfect run isn't probable.

I believe the first tiebreaker if points are tied is number of wins, followed by NRR. Because of cricket logic, DRS will be available in the Super Six stage. There have been some shocking decisions so it's a very welcome move, but why was it not available initially?

The Super Six starts on Thursday with Zimbabwe v Oman. Just one game a day from here.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 10:03 am

Zimbabwe got past Oman yesterday, Sean Williams with his 3rd century in 5 games. It was only a 14 run win, after Zimbabwe posted 332, but Oman never seriously threatened to chase it down despite a return century from Prajapati.

More interesting today - the Netherlands, after their heroics v the West Indies, have got Sri Lanka on the ropes at 98/6. That van Beek fellow, 3/19 today. This is even more trouble than Scotland put Sri Lanka in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 30 Jun 2023, 10:54 am

7 down now - Sri Lanka look to be in some trouble ! But 150 up and Dhananjaya still there so not out for the count yet. Netherlands need to wrap up the last three...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 11:42 am

Yeah, Sri Lanka wriggled free, at least a little, to get 213ao. They'll be confident of defending it with Hasaranga and Theekshana's variations.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 1:07 pm

Netherlands giving themselves a superb platform to chase this - 83/2 after 13, taking the attack to Hasaranga.

If the Dutch do chase this down, and there's still a fair way to go, they'll be favourites to qualify for the World Cup ahead of Sri Lanka. Imagine both Sri Lanka and the West Indies missing out...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 30 Jun 2023, 1:19 pm

Four gone now : and I suspect Hasaranga will go through them now. Not writing the Dutch off yet ; but would have my money on the other side.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 1:37 pm

Third wicket was a lazy run-out, but this partnership getting the Dutch target to below 100, still four down. They've really taken the attack to Sri Lanka. Hasaranga's been knocked about with 30 coming off his four overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 1:59 pm

Three wickets in seven balls for Theekshana, including van Beek, and that could be that for the Dutch.

Edwards or bust now for the Netherlands, with 81 to win.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 2:45 pm

Going to the wire. Dutch need 38, two wickets left, Edwards still battling away. Five overs of spin left from the main duo.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 30 Jun 2023, 3:18 pm

And Sri Lanka win by 21 runs, with Edwards left stranded. Huge chance missed for the Dutch. Probably shouldn't have let Sri Lanka make over 200 after they were 98/6, and the run-out of Barresi when he was on 52 - a lazy, unforgivable run-out - turned the direction of the chase.

It's another close win for Sri Lanka. Scotland gave them a small scare, now the Dutch properly frightened them, but they've got through it both times.

Means that Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka have pulled away with six points. Currently a four point gap between those two and the next chasers. Scotland have a game in hand and they need to win that; it's against the West Indies tomorrow. On current form, can't count Scotland out of that one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 01 Jul 2023, 8:30 am

WI 25/3 in a have-to-win against Scotland.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 01 Jul 2023, 10:19 am

It's following the pattern of Scotland's last game - they've got the opposition on the ropes, but struggling to finish them off. 81/6 is now 142/6.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 01 Jul 2023, 11:18 am

181ao. So a proper chance for Scotland, they need to win this to have realistic hope of making the World Cup. They fell short against the West Indies in a key game for 2019 qualification.

West Indies of course have to win to sustain any hope, but even if they do they're not making the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 01 Jul 2023, 11:34 am

They could scrape a win, but Windies are truly woeful these days. A continuation of a decline, it was said they were poor in Tests because of the focus on limited overs. Fair enough, they still were pretty good at that for a while. Now they are generally awful across all formats, it is concerning

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 01 Jul 2023, 1:41 pm

Absolute cruise control for Scotland. They lost a wicket with the first ball, but have since moved to 126/2 making the whole thing look rather easy.

Presuming they win from here, the Super Six will look as follows:

Sri Lanka 6 points (remaining games Zimbabwe and the West Indies)
Zimbabwe 6 points (remaining games Sri Lanka and Scotland)
Scotland 4 points (remaining games Zimbabwe and Netherlands)
Netherlands 2 points (remaining games Oman and Scotland)
Oman and the West Indies eliminated.

So it's still pretty open. Any of the top three have realistic paths to qualification, while the Netherlands require results to go in their favour. Only problem with Scotland's (likely) win today is they haven't galloped to the target, and NRR could be a pivotal factor.

Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka tomorrow. The winners can probably book their tickets to India. Sri Lanka have wobbled in their past couple games, so Zimbabwe will perhaps be the more confident of the two.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 01 Jul 2023, 1:43 pm

VTR wrote:They could scrape a win, but Windies are truly woeful these days. A continuation of a decline, it was said they were poor in Tests because of the focus on limited overs. Fair enough, they still were pretty good at that for a while. Now they are generally awful across all formats, it is concerning

Yeah, the game appears to be dying in the Caribbean, very concerning to see. They're hosting the T20 World Cup next year. Hopefully a strong performance from them can reinvigorate the game in the Caribbean.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 01 Jul 2023, 2:03 pm

Scotland going to do it , eh ?

West Indies was surely dead anyway. But the Tartan Army might have something to play for in the last two games...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 01 Jul 2023, 2:45 pm

Yep, Scotland over the line. But it did take them 43.3 overs to chase down 182, even though they only lost three wickets, so they may have cause for regret at the end?

Still, win their last two games and they might just get through. They would like Sri Lanka to beat Zimbabwe tomorrow.

As for the West Indies...defeats to Zimbabwe, Netherlands and Scotland. No World Cup for the first time ever. A new low? The lowest low?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 02 Jul 2023, 10:50 am

Zimbabwe spun into submission by Theekshana's 4/25 and they have been bowled out for 165. Sri Lanka chase this down and they're through to the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 02 Jul 2023, 1:43 pm

Away from Lord's, Sri Lanka chased this meagre target down with nine wickets and 16 overs to spare, Nissanka with a ton. Means that Sri Lanka have qualified for the World Cup. clap

Between Zimbabwe, Scotland and the Dutch for the final spot.

Zimbabwe will qualify if they beat Scotland. They will be tied with Scotland and need NRR to qualify if Scotland beat them, and Scotland lose to the Netherlands. It would be a three-way tie in this example if the Netherlands also beat Oman. If Scotland beat both Zimbabwe and the Netherlands, Zimbabwe are out.

Scotland will qualify if they beat both Zimbabwe and the Netherlands. If they lose to Zimbabwe they are out. If they beat Zimbabwe and lose to the Netherlands, there will either be a two or three way tie which will be resolved by NRR.

The only way the Netherlands can qualify is if they beat Oman and Scotland, and Scotland beat Zimbabwe. This would create a three-way tie that would be resolved by NRR.

At the moment, the NRR advantage is narrowly held by Scotland. Netherlands play Oman tomorrow and the Dutch not only need to win, they need to win big as their NRR is in arrears. Zimbabwe are unlikely to squeeze through on NRR should they need it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Jul 2023, 12:36 pm

Dutch working very hard on the NRR as they've managed to post 362 in 48 overs. 48 overs because the start was delayed due to rain, the first instance of rain that I can recall from this tournament so far. The 362 was in spite of the knock of 35 from 64 from O'Dowd; what a relief it was for the Dutch when he got out!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Jul 2023, 4:28 pm

Dutch won by 74 runs on DLS, after it was cut short due to bad light. A good win, though perhaps not as big as they hoped for. Their NRR is still the worst of the three, but not insurmountably so. Actually it appears the Dutch NRR has exceeded Zimbabwe's. Right, I've actually got no idea with the Dutch NRR. Cricinfo is saying +0.050, ICC is saying -0.042, Wikipedia is saying +0.180. Presumably one of those answers is right!

Zimbabwe v Scotland tomorrow, in what should be better weather. Very simple equation. If Zimbabwe win they're through to the World Cup as the 10th and final team. If Scotland win, then Zimbabwe are almost certainly out (I believe) and the competition for qualification stays alive to the Scotland/Netherlands game.

Would love to see both of these teams at the World Cup, so it's a shame one has to be absent. Zimbabwe are the favourites with home advantage, but Scotland have taken some decent scalps in this competition and they won't be overawed by the challenge.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Jul 2023, 11:30 am

Scotland putting up a decent chase for Zimbabwe. 234/8 clap

Need a good bowling effort as you'd think Zimbabwe would chase this down...but in with a chance at least.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 11:50 am

It was a strange innings from Scotland. They were building a platform like England pre-2015, with just 102/1 at halfway. They lost wickets in a clatter to be on the ropes at 170/7, but 64 off the final 41 balls (Leask and Watt again the main two) has given them a chance. It's something to bowl at.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 12:20 pm

Early trouble for Zimbabwe. A second consecutive duck for Joylord Gumbie, a first-baller this time, and Ervine bowled not long after.

15/2. Sean Williams has had a stupendous tournament, with three centuries and a 91, and it's up to him again to pull Zimbabwe to the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 12:39 pm

Williams bowled! Three for Sole, three for Scotland, 34/3 after 7 overs. Fair to say Zimbabwe don't have a lot of depth, Scotland aren't too far from being favourites.

Oh dear, Greaves has dropped Raza on 5. It was a regulation chance.

Four down! An umpire's call falls Scotland's way and Kaia is out. 37/4. A lot on this partnership between Raza and Burl.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 1:35 pm

93/5, Greaves making amends by taking the wicket of Raza. The partnership was looking dangerous, but all over now.

142 still to get. Madhevere, hasn't made a significant score in this tournament, joins Burl.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Jul 2023, 1:50 pm

I can't find a way to watch this but see from text that Burl is apparently propelling Zimbabwe to the target ?

Don't seem to be much in the way of batting to come though so if another wicket falls...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:17 pm

Timely breakthrough. Watt traps Madhevere LBW and Scotland are back in it.

Only 71 to get, but that Zimbabwean order from 8 down doesn't look much. Up to Burl to carry the bulk of the work.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:28 pm

Looks like Ireland are on course to lose to Nepal in the 7th placed play-off. Shocked

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:33 pm

Zimbabwe are cruising to victory here now. Was really hoping for the Scottish.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:35 pm

60 to get with four wickets left is far from a formality, about a 50/50 game at the moment.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:37 pm

And there's the 7th wicket. Burl was trusting Masakadza with the strike.

Scotland definitely ahead now.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:45 pm

Oh wow, 8 down now. I called it too early.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 2:59 pm

Burl's gone and Zimbabwe are surely gone. Burl got 4, then a 6, but couldn't middle the last one.

Still 38 to get. Would be a near-miracle if Zimbabwe won from here.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Jul 2023, 3:06 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:Oh wow, 8 down now. I called it too early.

People get so accustomed to the big teams winning from those positions that they overlook that 9, 10, Jack can't bat at all in the association teams.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next