The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 20 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun 18 Dec 2022, 6:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 20 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 3:14 pm

And Scotland close it out with a 31 run win. A top bowling effort. A team effort, in fact, all six chipping in with wickets. Sole doing the damage early and getting the key wicket of Williams; he was the standout.

Heartbreak for Zimbabwe who have come so far and fallen just short of a return to the World Cup in front of their home fans.

We'll see the exact maths later, but for now we can say a Scotland win over the Dutch, or a washout, or a small defeat (margin of which to be confirmed), will get Scotland through to the World Cup. Only a win for the Dutch will do, and it'll need to be a decent-sized win.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Jul 2023, 3:37 pm

Great win for Scotland !

Might be enough to tempt Craig back to the cricket board Smile

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jul 2023, 4:02 pm

Duty281 wrote:Looks like Ireland are on course to lose to Nepal in the 7th placed play-off. Shocked

Irish won by two wickets. An unhappy tournament for them, so I don't think winning the 7th placed play-off will be much consolation.

Oman v the West Indies tomorrow. The only interest is the West Indies trying to avoid total humiliation. Then the key Scotland/Netherlands game on Thursday. Sri Lanka v West Indies on Friday. And the pointless final between Sri Lanka and Scotland/Netherlands to finish things on Sunday.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Jul 2023, 4:17 pm

I'm delighted for Scotland already with how they gone in these qualifiers. Having lived in Edinburgh for 10 years and played a bit of cricket up there they are my second team these days. It's a small community too so have had the pleasure of meeting a fair few of the squad who seem like a cracking bunch.

The last time I spoke to Ali Evan's he'd just negotiated the players minimum wage for hours they train as their players rep. Which sums up the different world many of these sportsman live in to the big nations.

They've weathered the retirements of Coetzer and MacLeod, Munsey's return from injury, the loss of Wheal and Davey to CC action. In McMullen they seem to have found a really good player. Leask just keeps stepping up. Watt has turned himself into a useful lower order batter. Berrington is doing a strong job as skipper. Chris Sole seems fully fit and is bowling at his quickest once again. It's a group who are more than the sum of their parts but still have some very good cricketers.

They also suit the conditions here in Zimbabwe and would do for the CWC in India if they do make it.

king_carlos

Pal Joey and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 6:07 am

Big match today between The Netherlands and Scotland. Scotland are favourites to progress but a big win for the Dutch could see them through.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:00 am

Indeed it is, shame it coincides with the test today. In the balance early, with Scotland batting first and 63/2 in 14 overs. Whatever Scotland post, the Dutch will have to chase it in under 50 overs.

In other news, Tamim Iqbal has made a shock retirement from all forms of international cricket with immediate effect. Don't know what has gone on there. He played in an ODI v Afghanistan yesterday, which Bangladesh lost, and Iqbal was set to be the ODI captain for Bangladesh's World Cup campaign, but that's all up in smoke now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:03 am

That is very odd news about Tamim Iqbal especially since he was to be made Captain.

If I am correct, do the Dutch not need to win by 7 overs to better the Scottish NRR?

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:04 am

3 down now as I write that... Scotland in some trouble.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:16 am

eirebilly_01 wrote:That is very odd news about Tamim Iqbal especially since he was to be made Captain.

If I am correct, do the Dutch not need to win by 7 overs to better the Scottish NRR?

Depends on the score. If it were about 250 to win I understand they'd be OK with about six. But as the score reduces it all changes...

No doubt we will get updated calculations as the game goes on.

73/3 now so Scotland would like a partnership...

Tamim ? Very odd indeed.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:23 am

I am not too sharp on the whole calculating of outcomes. I would love Scotland to go through but since i lived in Nederlands for 20+ years, I would to see Nederlands through.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:24 am

eirebilly_01 wrote:I am not too sharp on the whole calculating of outcomes. I would love Scotland to go through but since i lived in Nederlands for 20+ years, I would to see Nederlands through.

Sort of mildly conflicted - or covered both ways , eh Smile

alfie

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:27 am

Duty281 wrote:Indeed it is, shame it coincides with the test today. In the balance early, with Scotland batting first and 63/2 in 14 overs. Whatever Scotland post, the Dutch will have to chase it in under 50 overs.

In other news, Tamim Iqbal has made a shock retirement from all forms of international cricket with immediate effect. Don't know what has gone on there. He played in an ODI v Afghanistan yesterday, which Bangladesh lost, and Iqbal was set to be the ODI captain for Bangladesh's World Cup campaign, but that's all up in smoke now.

What a huge shame we never saw Tamim never play another test in England, after his two hundreds in 2010. The one at Lords will live long in the memory. Fantastic to watch on his day
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 9:44 am

A very decent partnership forming for Scotland now.

Yep, got it covered both ways alfie thumbsup

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 06 Jul 2023, 10:11 am

Don't want to hex them but Scotland doing rather well now at 167/3 with 17 overs still to go.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 10:19 am

Scotland in cruise mode right now. Already looking like a very tough challenge for the Dutch, especially the snail pace scoring of Max O'Dowd.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 10:45 am

Couple of quick wickets, including the centurion McMullen, and it's back in the balance at 207/5 with 62 balls left.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 10:56 am

Scotland really should go on to get 270. Slightly under par for this track I think.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 11:35 am

So 278 for the Dutch to get. I think they need to get this by over 43. One thing is for sure, they will go for it which could spell a collapse.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 1:10 pm

44 overs for the Dutch to get 278 and make the World Cup, apparently. They could also score 283, theoretically, and have until 44.5 overs to do that.

After a good start, the Dutch have lost both openers and it's 72/2 after 14.5 overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 1:11 pm

Max O'Dowd doing what Max O'Dowd does. Seriously slow scoring before getting out cheaply.

All the pressure back on Singh and it eventually tells as he is trapped in front. Big trouble for the Dutch now.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 2:00 pm

Nederlands really need to switch into T20 mode if they aer going to not only win but qualify as well. Not looking too good for them right now.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 06 Jul 2023, 2:30 pm

Need about nine per over now with half the side out...looking a tall order.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 2:47 pm

Bas is switching to T20 mode. Might be a little too much to do to get the remaining runs within 44 overs but he will give it a go.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 3:01 pm

De Leede is single-handedly dragging his side to the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 3:02 pm

Stopped watching the test to see the end of this. G'wan Bassie

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 3:06 pm

Take a bow, De Leede. What a time to get his first ODI hundred. clap clap

Heartbreak for Scotland after about 40 games to fall at the final hurdle. They looked like they had this locked up, but the Netherlands have completed a thrilling journey to make the World Cup. That game against the West Indies, oh so crucial now.

Can't wait to see O'Dowd light up the World Cup with an innings of 35 off 71. Very Happy

Duty281

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 06 Jul 2023, 3:09 pm

Blimey..the Dutch have come back from the dead to nick this one and storm into the WC !

Scotland seemed to have it in the bag but no...what an effort from de Leede clapclapclap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 3:10 pm

Just saw a flash of Tim, Bassies father and also a former great Nederlands player, going a bit wild with pride. Just as Bassie gets out but what an effort from him clap

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jul 2023, 3:58 pm

Has been a very entertaining tournament. Probably showcased a good argument why the World Cup needs to re-expand and will do so in the near future.

Scotland, it's amazing they haven't qualified. They beat Ireland, the West Indies and Zimbabwe, three test nations, but fell short due to the NRR. I said it at the time, when Scotland beat the West Indies it took them 43.3 overs to score 185, even though they only lost three wickets, and that slowness cost them in the final reckoning. It's a harsh lesson to learn.

The Netherlands pretty much burgled their way to the World Cup. The astonishing win over the West Indies on a super over, and the comeback here against Scotland, scraping them over the line. Sri Lanka, a 100% record so far, breezed this qualifier. They were a comfortable level or two above their opponents. Theekshana and Hasaranga could be a handful in India.

Zimbabwe also fell short on NRR. Their big failing in that department was against Oman, where Zimbabwe scored 332, but Oman got 318 in reply. West Indies and Ireland were both exceptionally poor. Ireland losing to Oman and Scotland and never getting near. Ireland's captain has already resigned. The West Indies, this has been a mark of how far they've fallen in world cricket in the 21st century. Will they ever recover? The game needs them to, but is there sufficient interest?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 07 Jul 2023, 4:56 pm

I see Tamim's retirement was short lived...

Just took a chat with the PM to convince him to continue. Sometimes politics and sport do mix for a bit of good thumbsup

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jul 2023, 11:00 pm

Makes his retirement even stranger. I hope he pulls through whatever issue he's having and has a good World Cup.

West Indies fell to another defeat today, in a dead rubber v Sri Lanka. West Indies 243ao, Sri Lanka chased it down with ease. West Indies were weakened, I think some of their players are readying themselves for the test series v India that starts on Wednesday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 08 Jul 2023, 12:06 am

It's a very Bangladesh cricket story.

- Tamim plays the 1st ODI but comments before that he is coming back from injury, isn't yet 100% but will test his fitness in the game. A purpose many teams and players use bilateral series for it should be said.

- Nazmul Hassan, President of the BCB, then criticises Tamim calling him unprofessional

- Tamim retires without even contacting Hassan first

- Mashrafe Mortaza, now an MP, gets Tamim, Hassan and PM Sheikh Hasina in a room and the PM convinces Tamim to play on

- Tamim reverses his retirement

So then...

It's worth noting here that Hassan is managing director of a pharmaceutical company and a former politician who's previous cricket experience was as chairman of the cricket committee for a Dhaka club in the Bangladeshi list-a competition. He was the first BCB president to be elected whereas previous presidents were appointed by the government. Given Hassan's background and how presidents were previously appointed there have been queries raised about said process. He has since been re-elected three times. His tenure has also overseen several episodes that should have been private being aired publicly. He's not really renowned for professionalism in other words.

I can't help but feel this is a case of a guy who's in administration by virtue of being minted making one too many ignorant comment with no sporting, let alone cricketing, background beyond administration and the target going f*** this for a fiver.

Tamim has had a lot of injuries recently so 6 weeks to recuperate seems smart. I'm glad he will play on. He's a fantastic batter capable of brilliant innings.

king_carlos

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 11 Jul 2023, 4:41 pm

If you need a test cricket fix, the West Indies host India tomorrow in the first of two games, forming part of the WTC. Cornwall has got a recall to the 13-man squad for the West Indies, having not played tests since 2021.

Further to that, Sri Lanka host Pakistan in a two-test series, starting on Sunday.

Also Major League Cricket, the USA's entry into the bloated T20 franchise market, begins on Thursday evening if you're in America, or the very early hours of Friday morning if you're in the UK. Four of the six teams competing are owned by IPL franchise owners. But it's a fairly star-studded roster, with Boult, Khan, Roy, Hetmyer, Nortje and Hasaranga some of the names involved. Major League Cricket is already causing a headache for the ECB, with several overseas players dropping out of the Hundred nonsense to go across the pond.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Jul 2023, 8:51 pm

First of two tests starts tomm...Dominica pitch does assist seamers at the start and spinners as the pitch wears....a classic cricket pitch.....neither a crumbler nor a green seamer.
Ind expected 11
1- Jaiswal will play and will open. Already a star ..confident , left handed and dashing.
But we saw one n Prthivi shaw who was brutally exposed by Cummins
2- Rohit
3- Gill drops to 3 because Ind wants a left-right opening combo
4- Kohli
5- Rahane
6- Jadeja
7- Ashwin
8- I hope it's not Bharat but Ishan
9- *
10*
11- Siraj

The 2 seamers will go between Saini, Mukesh, shardul or Unadkat

For me it should be Shardul and Saini...but all permutations are possible

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Jul 2023, 8:54 pm

If WI are clever, they should leave some grass.....
India will play 2 spinners and has relatively inexperienced seamers and could be out of depth if bowling first
If batting first....WI seamers will have a great chance to rip out Indian top order

Ind could lose this...to me its a 50-50 game
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 12 Jul 2023, 7:53 am

Be a bit of a shock if India were to lose to West Indies , surely , KP_fan ? I get they have a couple of selection issues and players missing - especially in the pace bowling area ; but I'd have thought they are rather more reliable than , say , England of early 2022 Smile

Not sure West Indies have the players to cause an upset . But I agree their best tactic could be to field first on a grassy strip...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 12 Jul 2023, 7:58 am

alfie wrote:Be a bit of a shock if India were to lose to West Indies , surely , KP_fan ?  I get they have a couple of selection issues and players missing - especially in the pace bowling area ; but I'd have thought they are rather more reliable than , say , England of early 2022  Smile

Not sure West Indies have the players to cause an upset . But I agree their best tactic could be to field first on a grassy strip...

It's a win-win from the P.O.V Indian followers like me
Either India wins......that's always good

OR
India loses....and that would trigger a similar doom & gloom as it did when Root lost in WI and quit...and that resulted in the herald of a new era, that of bazballing.
Shock defeats to lowly sides can indeed be a trigger to a new dawn
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Jul 2023, 8:57 am

So India is getting back on the field tonight, kicking off their WTC campaign. Rohit has already confirmed Jaiswal will open, and Gill drop down to 3. When all the talk of Yashasvi taking over from Pujara at 3 was going on, I felt he should open, particularly since the team views Gill as the eventual successor to Virat Kohli at 4. Going forward, I see a top 4 of Jaiswal, Abhimanyu Easwaran/Devdutt Padikkal/Rohan Kunnummal, Gill, Ruturaj Gaikwad.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Jul 2023, 9:06 am

Rohit has also confirmed that Ravichandran Ashwin will be returning to the playing 11. Ashwin has a very impressive all-round record against the WI, both home and away.
As for the quicks, Siraj will lead the attack. Think Unadkat will be the 2nd seamer, he has been part of the squad for the last 6 months, he offers a left-arm option, he's hugely experienced in First Class cricket... The 3rd seamer will be one of Mukesh, Shardul and Saini. Shardul has some experience and he can bat. But Saini is someone who can be quick, proper quick. He is not the most accurate, and when last seen at the top level, didn't show a great deal of skill beyond pace. But I hope to have a look at him, raw pace just doesn't come like that. Hopefully, the injuries haven't converted him to a Munaf Patel-like medium pacer.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Jul 2023, 9:10 am

Hope they pick Kishan to keep wickets. KS Bharat is a decent wicketkeeper, but not exceptional really. He is not a test quality batter. At best a number 8. They should give Kishan an opportunity. If he comes off with the bat, can provide a Pant-like ex factor, though not quite the same.
BTW, reports are that Rishabh's recovery is progressing well at the NCA.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 12 Jul 2023, 11:15 am

msp83 wrote:So India is getting back on the field tonight, kicking off their WTC campaign. Rohit has already confirmed Jaiswal will open, and Gill drop down to 3. When all the talk of Yashasvi taking over from Pujara at 3 was going on, I felt he should open, particularly since the team views Gill as the eventual successor to Virat Kohli at 4. Going forward, I see a top 4 of Jaiswal, Abhimanyu Easwaran/Devdutt Padikkal/Rohan Kunnummal, Gill, Ruturaj Gaikwad.

Eswaran has been hard done by......Jaiswal was jumped over him
Mayank Agarwal should not be ruled out...he has batted very well in FC and has a decent test match showing also.

And don't forget the favorite boy of seniors and BCCI in KL Rahul...as soon as he is fit he will walk back into the 11

-------
Since too many posts were made, this topic has been divided automatically. You can find the rest of this topic here :
https://www.606v2.com/t71167-rest-of-the-world
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20