The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

+24
theslosty
RiscaGame
Unclear
westisbest
Geordie
RDW
mikey_dragon
BigGee
Heaf
nlpnlp
Recwatcher16
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
Oakdene
doctor_grey
sensisball
formerly known as Sam
hugehandoff
Duty281
Collapse2005
carpet baboon
Pete330v2
Maine man
bsando
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights Empty France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

Post by bsando Sun 28 Jan 2024, 7:03 am

France vs Ireland
Guiness Six Nations 2024
Opening Match

Round One
Friday 2nd of February, 2024
Vélodrome Marseille
Kick Off 20:00 GMT

Referee: Karl Dickson (Eng)
ARs: Matthew Carley (Eng) & Jordan Way (Aus)
TMO: Ben Whitehouse (Wal)

TV Coverage ITV 1
Virgin Media (ROI)

Teams

France
T Ramos; D Penaud, G Fickou, J Danty, Y Moefana; M Jalibert, M Lucu; C Baille, P Mauvaka, U Atonio; P Gabrillagues, P Willemse; F Cros, C Ollivon, G Alldritt (capt).

Replacements: J Marchand, R Wardi, D Aldegheri, R Taofifenua, C Woki, P Boudehent, N Le Garrec, L Bielle-Biarrey.

Ireland
H Keenan; C Nash, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Lowe; J Crowley, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; J McCarthy, T Beirne; P O'Mahony (capt), J van der Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, J Ryan, R Baird, J Conan, C Murray, C Frawley.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 01 Feb 2024, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights Empty Re: France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

Post by Maine man Sun 28 Jan 2024, 9:56 am

My guess at the Ireland team:
Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, O'mahony, VDF, Doris, Gibson-Park, Crowley, Lowe, Aki, Ringrose, Larmour, Keenan.
I hope they don't put Ringrose on the wing. If Nash was picked ahead of Larmour wouldn't bother me. As long as its one of them

Maine man

Back to top Go down

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights Empty Re: France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 29 Jan 2024, 9:47 am

Maine man wrote:My guess at the Ireland team:
Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, O'mahony, VDF, Doris, Gibson-Park, Crowley,  Lowe, Aki, Ringrose, Larmour, Keenan.
I hope they don't put Ringrose on the wing. If Nash was picked ahead of Larmour wouldn't bother me. As long as its one of them

I'd say that'd be a good shout, basically the Leinster team with a few honourable mentions. The bench is the only place we're likely to see the elusive Ulster player with Hendo included but even that's not guaranteed. I'd rather see Larmour starting on the wing, the margin between him and Nash is a fairly fine but he brings that Leinster X factor.
Benchwise we could see Healy, Kelleher, Bealham, Hendo/McCarthy, Conan, Casey/Murray,Frawley/Byrne........god knows. There are too many variances for the bench options for me to even begin to think about this early on a monday.

Anyway, I know most will have the French as favourites due to the home advantage and Ireland's loss of Sexton but I'm not so sure. The Ireland squad has had lots of experience playing in France quite recently so the trip isn't just quite as daunting as previous years. We may be missing Sexton but with Dupont missing, France face a loss that's just as disruptive. Both however will be desperate to make up for disappointments in the RWC so it's set up to be a battle royale. Historically these tended to end up as damp squibs but these 2 sides won't be interested in being cagey.

P.S. What's with the Irish fans being so quiet about this 6N, our once vociferous fanbase seems to have lost their tongues?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 29 Jan 2024, 12:47 pm

I can see Baird instead of Conan.
And think Nash will get the 14 shirt
And I wouldn't be surprised to see no Ulster players in the match day squad at all.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 30 Jan 2024, 9:34 am

Although someone put all this seasons stats for the 4 seconds rows on twitter and Hendo looks to have been performing very well, so who knows.
Maybe he will suprise us all with a Hendo McCarthy partnership

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 30 Jan 2024, 2:04 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Although someone put all this seasons stats for the 4 seconds rows on twitter and Hendo looks to have been performing very well, so who knows.
Maybe he will suprise us all with a Hendo McCarthy partnership

I think that Ryan and McCarthy will start. Ireland will need the heft of McCarthy against the French pack. Beirne, Baird, Conan or Hendo coming off the bench would be tasty.

Personally Id pick a back row of Beirne, Vdf and Doris but clearly that wont happen.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 30 Jan 2024, 2:06 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:

P.S. What's with the Irish fans being so quiet about this 6N, our once vociferous fanbase seems to have lost their tongues?

Maybe there arent many left?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 30 Jan 2024, 2:19 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

Maybe there arent many left?

Fans or tongues ?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 31 Jan 2024, 8:59 am

Ireland fans one here. Irish people never lose their tongues, mad for talking shoite.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 31 Jan 2024, 11:14 am

Can't believe Karl Dickson has got the biggest game of the Six Nations.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

doctor_grey and Heaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 11:38 am

Duty281 wrote:Can't believe Karl Dickson has got the biggest game of the Six Nations.

He is capable of being quite good. He's also very capable of confusing the feck out of both teams and supporters with strange contradictory interpretations.

I like to think of him as a human roulette wheel. I know what I want the ball to land on but I equally know I have absolutely no clue as to what it will

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 31 Jan 2024, 11:50 am

FRANCE (v Ireland): Thomas Ramos; Damian Penaud, Gael Fickou, Jonathan Danty, Yoram Moefana; Matthieu Jalibert, Maxime Lucu; Cyril Baille, Peato Mauvaka, Uini Atonio; Paul Gabrillagues, Paul Willemse; Francois Cros, Charles Ollivon, Gregory Alldritt (capt).

Replacements: Julien Marchand, Reda Wardi, Dorian Aldegheri, Romain Taofifenua, Cameron Woki, Paul Boudehent, Nolann Le Garrec, Louis Bielle-Biarrey.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm

That's a strong team

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Wed 31 Jan 2024, 12:21 pm

That's an absolute beast of a team.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 12:32 pm

I think they may be a little upset about the world cup

carpet baboon

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:02 pm

Nash, Beirne and McCarthy start, no Ringrose, nor Ryan.

Ireland Team
15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)(36)
14. Calvin Nash (Young Munster/Munster)(1)
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster)(67)
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht)(52)
11. James Lowe (Leinster)(26)
10. Jack Crowley (Cork Constitution/Munster)(9)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster)(30)
1. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)(59)
2. Dan Sheehan (Lansdowne/Leinster)(21)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)(72)
4. Joe McCarthy (Dublin University/Leinster)(5)
5. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster)(46)
6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)(captain)(101)
7. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)(57)
8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)(36)
Replacements:
16. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster)(26)
17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)(125)
18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht)(36)
19. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster)(59)
20. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)(15)
21. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)(41)
22. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)(112)
23. Ciaran Frawley (UCD/Leinster)(1).

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:12 pm

Two sets of 6/2 bench splits. This one's going to be a battle. With both sides missing their general it'll be interesting to see if that changes things.

James Ryan and Cameron Woki both benched is surprising.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:14 pm

Looks like.the plan to counter their massive pack is to be quicker than them to everything. I can see us wanting to play a fast paced game.
I really hope Henshaw has found a lot of form in training

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:20 pm

Is it hyperbole to say thats one of the best benches Ireland have ever had in the six nations?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:26 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Is it hyperbole to say thats one of the best benches Ireland have ever had in the six nations?
I would.say it's one of the most (potentially )impactful benches I have seen from Ireland

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:42 pm

Just realised where's Ringrose? Injured?

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 31 Jan 2024, 1:49 pm

Maine man wrote:Just realised where's Ringrose? Injured?

Yes

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 2:00 pm

carpet baboon wrote:I can see Baird instead of Conan.
And think Nash will get the 14 shirt
And I wouldn't be surprised to see no Ulster players in the match day squad at all.

Well I got Nash starting and no Ulster players in the 23, and I'm claiming half a point for Baird on the bench with Conan

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Wed 31 Jan 2024, 3:11 pm

Have Ireland ever gone with 6-2 split before? I can't recall one

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 31 Jan 2024, 8:35 pm

Think Galthie has learnt a bit from the Boks defeat
Bielle Biarre is lightening quick but defensively a bit weak at his tender age.
Also he has got lucky with Jelonch' s tragic ACL ( the other one) rupture. He has to start Cros in the back row, he is the only genuine threat over the ball in their back row.
Gabriallagues is another unit. Not quite Willemses size but a more powerful scrummager and close quarters ball carrier that Woki or Flament
I guess they are looking to squeeze the life out of the Irish pack before unleashing Wardi, Marchant , Woki, Taufefaneau and Boudehent with 30 to go.
Although the Irish bench is tasty up front, just not sure how Healy will cope with the French scrum.
Once a world class prop but I feel those days are well behind him now.
Still, he has massive experience which counts for a good deal in games like this.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:10 pm

What a great matchup.  I am still in awe the Six Nations will start off with this game.  And on a Friday afternoon/evening to boot.  Best way to get fans looking forward to what comes next. guinness RedWine

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:46 am

Hold the back page editor -
Romain Taofifenua has been ruled out of the match against Ireland.

The French second row was replaced by Posolo Tuilagi on the bench.

Should make a spicy match even spicier, if that's possible!

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:04 am

Wow big debut for Posolo Tuilagi! He is only 19 and the size of at least two Tadgh Beirnes. Big call from France though.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:08 am

Collapse2005 wrote:Wow big debut for Posolo Tuilagi! He is only 19 and the size of at least two Tadgh Beirnes. Big call from France though.

COuld make for a decent supersub in the fantasy teams.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:29 am

This game has the promise of being a full on gladiatorial battle. Both Teams will miss their generals but apart from that, for Ireland especially the disruption is minimal. France are going to bring the heavy duty, hard hitting edge to try and batter their way to victory. Ireland will have to go to the counter punch technique with the Leinster high tempo. France have employed the cheat code that is Tuilagi, the guy, even by Tuilagi standards is a freak of a man in the best possible way. When he comes on any lineouts close to the Irish line will be watched through nervous fingers from behind the couch,
Cannot Wait !!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:21 am

Collapse2005 wrote:Wow big debut for Posolo Tuilagi! He is only 19 and the size of at least two Tadgh Beirnes. Big call from France though.

150kg more or less. 23.5 stone in old units

I don't think anybody is going to be lifting him in the lineout

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:23 am

lostinwales wrote:

23.5 stone is the only measurement unit.  Don't be so quick to jump on the latest fad. Very Happy

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:24 am

It's wild that he might have been facing his uncle later in the tournament, if it wasn't for injury.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:43 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

It's wild that he might have been facing his uncle later in the tournament, if it wasn't for injury.

Manu might be back by the time England play France.

formerly known as Sam

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 11:27 am

That french reserve front row looks pretty tasty and with 150kg young truck pushing behind- Porter will need an 80 minute game. Fickou against Henshaw and who comes out on top, could also well decide the scoreline.

Recwatcher16

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 02 Feb 2024, 12:48 pm

I suspect that they will be looking for Ollivon to stay on and be the main middle line out jumper with Woki at 2, where he is hard to disrupt.

Tuilagi's main problem is that he isn't a viable lineout option, the combination of his huge weight,23.5 stone, and relative lack of height, 6ft 4ins, mean that unless he is standing at the front and takes the trick play of the throw to the standing player(so beloved of Jamie Ritchie) he isn't winning lineout ball.
However, in the final quarter with Woki, Ollivon and Boudehent on the field that would still give France 3 good options at lineout time.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 02 Feb 2024, 1:00 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

23.5 stone is the only measurement unit.  Don't be so quick to jump on the latest fad. Very Happy

A consequence of going to live in such a backwards country. You could also say 330lb (or 100lb more than me)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri 02 Feb 2024, 4:13 pm

I am expecting the French behemoth to be greeted by Peter O’Mahony “Now listen here Posolo. You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.”

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 02 Feb 2024, 4:21 pm

nlpnlp wrote:I am expecting the French behemoth to be greeted by Peter O’Mahony “Now listen here Posolo.  You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.”  

To which he'll reply that his dad had told him about POM

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Feb 2024, 6:48 pm

lostinwales wrote:
nlpnlp wrote:I am expecting the French behemoth to be greeted by Peter O’Mahony “Now listen here Posolo.  You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.”  

To which he'll reply that his dad had told him about POM

At which a point a scuffle breaks out as the Tuilagi family have always been shrinking violets on a rugby field.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 02 Feb 2024, 7:53 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Can't believe Karl Dickson has got the biggest game of the Six Nations.

He is capable of being quite good. He's also very capable of confusing the feck out of both teams and supporters with strange contradictory interpretations.

I like to think of him as a human roulette wheel. I know what I want the ball to land on but I equally know I have absolutely no clue as to what it will

I think you must have dreamt that bit Wink   I think of him more like the ball in a pin-ball machine - bouncing randomly from one decision to another ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:09 pm

Heaf wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

I think you must have dreamt that bit Wink   I think of him more like the ball in a pin-ball machine - bouncing randomly from one decision to another ...
He is a former scrum half.

doctor_grey

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:11 pm

Could be red that.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:12 pm

Hard to imagine Healy lasting 70 mins

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:12 pm

I thought Porter was low, so might well stay YC

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:13 pm

Ireland 10 looks like he is struggling a bit, or maybe it’s just me.

mikey_dragon

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:15 pm

Ireland dont look very slick in the backs

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:16 pm

BigGee wrote:I thought Porter was low, so might well stay YC

Was there an attempt to wrap? missed the replay ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:19 pm

BigGee wrote:I thought Porter was low, so might well stay YC

I don't think it's about how low you are (within reason) it's about change in height

Porter didn't change in height and the Frenchie should have come in lower

Could be a red!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 02 Feb 2024, 8:20 pm

Stays YC

He was always dropping

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next