The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

+24
theslosty
RiscaGame
Unclear
westisbest
Geordie
RDW
mikey_dragon
BigGee
Heaf
nlpnlp
Recwatcher16
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
Oakdene
doctor_grey
sensisball
formerly known as Sam
hugehandoff
Duty281
Collapse2005
carpet baboon
Pete330v2
Maine man
bsando
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights - Page 3 Empty France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

Post by bsando Sun 28 Jan 2024, 7:03 am

First topic message reminder :

France vs Ireland
Guiness Six Nations 2024
Opening Match

Round One
Friday 2nd of February, 2024
Vélodrome Marseille
Kick Off 20:00 GMT

Referee: Karl Dickson (Eng)
ARs: Matthew Carley (Eng) & Jordan Way (Aus)
TMO: Ben Whitehouse (Wal)

TV Coverage ITV 1
Virgin Media (ROI)

Teams

France
T Ramos; D Penaud, G Fickou, J Danty, Y Moefana; M Jalibert, M Lucu; C Baille, P Mauvaka, U Atonio; P Gabrillagues, P Willemse; F Cros, C Ollivon, G Alldritt (capt).

Replacements: J Marchand, R Wardi, D Aldegheri, R Taofifenua, C Woki, P Boudehent, N Le Garrec, L Bielle-Biarrey.

Ireland
H Keenan; C Nash, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Lowe; J Crowley, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; J McCarthy, T Beirne; P O'Mahony (capt), J van der Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, J Ryan, R Baird, J Conan, C Murray, C Frawley.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 01 Feb 2024, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights - Page 3 Empty Re: France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

Post by BigGee Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:32 pm

That's got to be the game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights - Page 3 Empty Re: France vs Ireland | Friday Night Lights

Post by Heaf Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:33 pm

France have to score next or that will be it ...

Heaf

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:33 pm

Heaf wrote:
Maine man wrote:Is Ben Whitehouse now a professional TMO?

Officially or in terms of competence?

He's certainly enjoying working with the French director...

formerly known as Sam

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:34 pm

Bonus point!!

Collapse2005

Maine man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:41 pm

Le Garrec has added a lot more tempo to France. Not done anything to calm them down but there's certainly more tenacity there now.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:42 pm

Taking lessons from England - kicking the ball away when in a good attacking position ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:44 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Maine man wrote:Is Ben Whitehouse now a professional TMO?

Officially or in terms of competence?

He's certainly enjoying working with the French director...

He’s not known as Whitehouse down in Wales…

mikey_dragon

lostinwales and Maine man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:45 pm

I suspect the name rhymes though?

Heaf

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:52 pm

A spanking for the French

Ireland look pretty impressive!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:52 pm

Don't know why the ITV commentator was classing that as a 'big call'.

Excellent win for Ireland. They would have got it without the red anyway. McCarthy was phenomenal.

France look like they've got a post World Cup hangover. No sharpness, no intensity, garbage defence.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Unclear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:53 pm

Yep shame really - expected much more from this match ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:53 pm

Fair play Ireland that's been a hell of a performance. The red was obviously a big turning point but I suspect Ireland would have won anyway - looked much the better team throughout. France a bit all over the place.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:56 pm

Yep, expected a close game.

Shouldn't be any problems for the title now for Ireland. Three home games to come, and the trip to Twickenham perhaps the only bump in the road, but on current form Ireland are a better team than England.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Feb 2024, 9:56 pm

Well coached and well prepared. The provinces are tightknit and seem to have their houses in order, it’s all working for Ireland.

mikey_dragon

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:04 pm

Very clinical from Ireland but France put then under minimal pressure.
Lucu had a poor game and a sad way for Willemse to end his international career. Can't see Galthie having the balls to pick him again.
McCarthy was immense, deserved MoM.
Actually think the change in the supporting coaching team hasn't clicked. New attack coach, attack almost non existent and a new forwards coach the defensive mauls were passive and innacurate, lineout very poor as well.
Pressure on Galthie for first time in 4 years

Last edited by sensisball on Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:06 pm

Ireland's lineout dominated as they never throw down the middle, the other sides will take note. Both sides scored some good tries with another cold red card in Irish favour which is a strange but definite trend. Thought Gibson Park was the best player with the control he offered although McCarthy clearly a prospect.
France never really got going which is down to Irish attention to the details around the ruck and set piece.
That Tuilagi isn't fit enough.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:09 pm

sensisball wrote:
Pressure on Galthie for first time in 4 years

Indeed - the French public won't be very sympathetic to perfofmances like that for very long.

The worst performance by a French team for quite some time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:09 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:Ireland's lineout dominated as they never throw down the middle,  the other sides will take note. Both sides scored some good tries with another cold red card in Irish favour which is a strange but definite trend. Thought Gibson Park was the best player with the control he offered although McCarthy clearly a prospect.
France never really got going which is down to Irish attention to the details around the ruck and set piece.
That Tuilagi isn't fit enough.

Strange way to say "congratulations Ireland. Well played"
Spose Ireland can't win without the reds can the Rec?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:11 pm

We'll never know will we? Strange comment.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:12 pm

Didn't see that coming, I thought France would be much better.  Good performance from Ireland but France were poor for most of the game.  I would have given player of the match to Bierne, but the Irish forwards were immense.  Crowley played well and I was pleasantly surprised by the replacement front row.

Willemse only has himself to blame.  Personally I thought both incidents were yellow and don't quite get the red upgrade for the second.

Onwards and upwards for a Grand Slam decider at Twickers Very Happy

Mikey obviously hasn't been paying attention in the URC - Ulster really don't have their house in order, and that's from an Ulster supporter.

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:22 pm

Solid Irish win. France really REALLY missed Dupont and Ntamack. They look like a totally different team without those two. Lucu has never really impressed me much for France and his replacement looked a lot better when he came on the pitch, did the simple things a lot better.

The pre match talk by pundits about Crawley somehow being a drop in quality from Sexon was daft. If anything, perhaps Crowley should have been bumped ahead of Sexton sooner? I'm not a fan of rugby players out staying their welcome based on their status within a team rather than their form.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:29 pm

Dunno I thought there was a couple of moments Crowley showed a lack of experience. Given his arm chair ride from the Irish forwards he will have been disappointed he didn't orchestrate Ireland killing the game off sooner.

Outside of the scrum Ireland were dominant. Deserved winners.

France will be fuming. They played badly. Willemse got himself sent off unnecessarily and really killed any chance of them maintaining the fightback. They lacked composure and didn't resource the breakdown quick enough. The halfbacks offered little to no control which is baffling if you've seen Bordeaux play. I suspect some tough questions will be asked back in camp. There's very little they can take away from that performance.

formerly known as Sam

Unclear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Feb 2024, 10:35 pm

Unclear wrote:Mikey obviously hasn't been paying attention in the URC - Ulster really don't have their house in order, and that's from an Ulster supporter.

Ulster aren’t that bad. They’ve a lot of good local talent, but I think McFarland has been there too long and they need a fresh approach.

mikey_dragon

Maine man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 02 Feb 2024, 11:11 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Willemse is a muppet. He knew he'd got away with one first time round and then the second one was just unnecessary. He's left his team with a mountain to climb.

Lucu is a classy 9 but he looks like a deer in the headlights. Looks like he could have done with an easier game to ease himself in. Looks like he needs a second more than Ireland are giving him.

Ireland are doing Ireland things. Defence is great they just need to be patient and go through the gears in attack.

Agree on all of this.

Lucu just seems like his first option in attack is to try and pass and then panic when he can’t. I thought during the WC he wasn’t enough to cover Dupont and I still think that. He just seems very flustered with the ball in hand.

Willemse was just daft. Be interesting to see what ban the cards amount to.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 02 Feb 2024, 11:18 pm

Anyway, fair play Ireland. I thought France being heavy favourites was slightly generous from the bookies, as Ireland are pretty relentless in the Six Nations and I did think Dupont would be a bigger loss than Sexton, as Crowley at least had insurance either side of him in Gibson Park and Aki. 13/8 or whatever other odds were available was always worth covering for an Ireland win.

Hard to see them being stopped at all now. Tricky game up for the French next too, so probably more pressure on, especially after Scotland’s probable win tomorrow.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat 03 Feb 2024, 12:49 am

Ah that was an impressive win alright, but it's maybe made the pain of the missed opportunity at the RWC even more so for me
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 03 Feb 2024, 7:16 am

Great win in the end. To score 38 points in France, some effort. They certainly missed Dupont.
Again McCartly, quality. Deserved mom.
Crowley I thought was very good overall. Those two touchline kicks were superb, got the scoreboard ticking over.
Hopefully he will go on and only get better. Questions asked about how he would do. Last night I think he passed the test.
Lowe and Aki were good again.
And a mention again for Keenan. This guy is a joy to watch. That tackle on Penaud, I think, driving him back a few metres, when a French try might have been on, was quality.
Under the high ball, there is nobody better. More chance of him dropping his wallet on the rugby pitch than then the ball.

Hats off to all that played last night.

Farrel to. Great coach.

Again what a win, in which was arguably our toughest fixture.
One game at a time, off to Italy now. Another tough game and no disrespect to them, but one we should see out.

The disappointment of the World Cup is behind us now.
Great response last night, let’s push on now for the rest of the tournament.
Hopefully another slam. Be very tough, what we will be aiming for.

Interesting/exciting weeks ahead.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 03 Feb 2024, 7:49 am

RiscaGame wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Willemse is a muppet. He knew he'd got away with one first time round and then the second one was just unnecessary. He's left his team with a mountain to climb.

Lucu is a classy 9 but he looks like a deer in the headlights. Looks like he could have done with an easier game to ease himself in. Looks like he needs a second more than Ireland are giving him.

Ireland are doing Ireland things. Defence is great they just need to be patient and go through the gears in attack.

Agree on all of this.

Lucu just seems like his first option in attack is to try and pass and then panic when he can’t. I thought during the WC he wasn’t enough to cover Dupont and I still think that. He just seems very flustered with the ball in hand.

Willemse was just daft. Be interesting to see what ban the cards amount to.

At club level Lucu has looked very good and he's normally a safe pair of hands off the bench for France but that doesn't seem enough currently. Trying to replace Dupont is a miserable job mind, not just the best player in his position but arguably the best player in the game.

France have some options at 9 le Garrec who came off the bench or Janeau who's at Clermont (that kid is ridiculous). Would be a brave call to ditch the experienced back up for youngsters though.

France have to sort out the engine room though. The hooker wasn't great but their jumpers struggled Vs Ireland and in the loose the starting pair were anonymous and a card magnet.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 03 Feb 2024, 8:03 am

Ireland were excellent and didn't miss whatshisname at all.
France in contrast were way off it, yes red made a difference and as did lack of Dupont but overall they were a long way off.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 03 Feb 2024, 11:18 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Well coached and well prepared. The provinces are tightknit and seem to have their houses in order, it’s all working for Ireland.

Clearly you have not been following events in Ulster closely

We are a shambles

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 03 Feb 2024, 11:24 am

No Dupont no clue.
They were directionless without him.

Also their defence was very lose

Ireland did very well in the lineout.
Strange to say but scrum a slight worry.
Furlong needs to go on a Furlough - he looks knackered.
Bealham is out performing him these days.

Porters technique is poor and no one remotely good to take his place.
Healy has 20 mins top in him these days.

geoff999rugby

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sat 03 Feb 2024, 11:35 am

Well played by Ireland and a deserved win, but so weird that this was the first game and not the last. Hope all you Ireland fans enjoyed it.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 04 Feb 2024, 2:17 pm

Our u20 beat France last night too. Absolutely brilliant game

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 04 Feb 2024, 4:26 pm

Ooooh la la. An absolute reaming. Well done Ireland.

Ominous AF for the rest of us poor saps.

At least Scotland doesn't have a trip to Dublin on the last day of the tournament this year. Oh. Wait.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

sensisball and carpet baboon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 06 Feb 2024, 3:04 pm

Apparently that was the first time anyone has scored 5 tries v France in France in the six nations, nice feather for the cap of Ireland's attack coach.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 07 Feb 2024, 9:45 am

Collapse2005 wrote:Apparently that was the first time anyone has scored 5 tries v France in France in the six nations, nice feather for the cap of Ireland's attack coach.

I was surprised at that stat. We all remember the tomkite period that France went through from about 2016 for a number of years. It's a feather that's nice to claim especially against the non-tomkite version of France.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3