The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2024

+12
KP_fan
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pebbles
king_carlos
JDizzle
Lowlandbrit
Jetty
VTR
guildfordbat
alfie
Duty281
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 - Page 4 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Apr 2024, 11:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Now the County Championship has begun, it is officially summer once more. Don't let the rain tell you otherwise!

We can talk about promising county performances, the build up to the World T20, and Ollie Robinson's latest injury when it happens. Then, in just under two months, England start playing games:

England v Pakistan, four T20s, 22nd May-30th May
World T20 in June
England v West Indies, three tests, 10th July-30th July
England v Sri Lanka, three tests, 21st August-10th September
England v Australia, three T20s, 11th September-15th September
England v Australia, five ODIs, 19th September-29th September

It's a bit of a pressure summer for England. The ODI side made the most disappointing defence of a World Cup crown since France in the football in 2002, so there's pressure on the T20 side, and Mott in particular, to deliver something decent in the Caribbean.

For the test match side, it's been three series without a series win for England, so the expectation is on for England to get back to winning ways against the West Indies and Sri Lanka. The West Indies often cause England a few troubles, but England have won their last seven home series v the West Indies, dating back to 2000, and you have to go back to 1988 for the last time the West Indies won a series in England.

Sri Lanka are visiting for the first time in eight years for a test series, so it's well overdue. They've certainly managed to upset England in the past, very famously in 1998, but also in 2014, so it's a series that cannot be taken for granted.

And to round off the summer the ECB are making a dash for cash, with eight limited overs games against the Aussies in the fading September light, in games that will probably be forgotten in no time at all.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by VTR Sat 25 May 2024, 6:33 pm

Duty281 wrote:
VTR wrote:Bowling seems promising but out for a duck again. Maybe he could replace Jimmy by opening the bowling and batting at 11. Recall Moeen to bat at 6 and provide a second spin option

*Duty goes into cardiac arrest*

Pick of the bowlers today against international level batting, building momentum ready for that recall!

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 25 May 2024, 10:02 pm

God it is good to see Jofra back bowling 90mph and in the England shirt again.

I see Stokes reeled off another 10 over spell today too.

Are the injury gods finally smiling on them both?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 26 May 2024, 12:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:God it is good to see Jofra back bowling 90mph and in the England shirt again.

I've missed watching him play a lot. He's just a fun cricketer. Express pace. Great skill. Gives it a whack with the bat. It was very nice seeing the crowd lift when he whacked away those boundaries in the last over. Folk just enjoy watching Jof play. Hopefully we see a decent amount more of it, even if it is only in white ball.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 27 May 2024, 10:19 am

At risk of jumping too far ahead to the Test series against the West Indies in July, I would flag that Ollie Pope's form is a concern. [I don't believe this is solely a reaction to Surrey's thrashing yesterday.]

Since his match winning 196 in Hyderabad, Pope's had 17 innings (16 completed) for England and Surrey in which he's scored 310 runs at an average of 19. Just one half-century in that time with a score of 63 against Worcs.

I've seen most of his knocks at the Oval this season when he's appeared too frenetic from the start and got out quickly and cheaply. I suppose the flip side of ''frenetic'' when things come off and he makes a big score is ''busy''. However, things are not coming off for him presently and instead he's looking a tad desperate.

guildfordbat

Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 27 May 2024, 11:22 am

Crawley has also been quite Pope like in the CC this year.

His list of scores reading - 5, 4, 41, 1, 6, 10, 0, 238, 16 and 1!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 27 May 2024, 11:54 am

Duty281 wrote:Crawley has also been quite Pope like in the CC this year.

His list of scores reading - 5, 4, 41, 1, 6, 10, 0, 238, 16 and 1!

Yep, see the similarities although Pope is looking a long way off a double ton. Guess Crawley was too before he got his. Whistle

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 28 May 2024, 12:12 pm

England's next T20 is tonight against Pakistan in Cardiff. It's in doubt, due to yet more rain, though it's not a 'definitely not' as was the case at Leeds.

Buttler will miss the game due to the birth of his third child, but this does at least mean he should be good for the World Cup. It also gives an opportunity, most likely, for Duckett to make a claim. Hartley won't be making his debut, but I really think England should try him out before the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 28 May 2024, 8:19 pm

Game abandoned. The weather wins its second game of the series.

The fourth and final T20 is scheduled for Thursday...also with lots of rain forecast! Nice to know England are getting properly sharp for the World Cup. Three games unbeaten as well!

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 28 May 2024, 9:18 pm

Yep, a confidence building unbeaten run and also now can't lose the series. World Cup wins are built on momentum like this

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 May 2024, 2:50 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/crggxgz3rg0o

Looks like England are also getting perfectly attuned to the conditions they'll face at the World Cup, without ever leaving Blighty.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 30 May 2024, 6:11 pm

Actual cricket about to take place. Wood in for Topley, England's only change. Hartley will, if he plays, make a debut at the World Cup itself. Buttler remains in the side.

England bowling first.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 30 May 2024, 9:49 pm

Brook seals a very comfortable win with a six.

Pakistan were 59/0 after 5.5 overs, but England fought back. Led by a delightful spell from Rashid, and some serious heat from Wood. The batting was a doddle. Salt and Buttler knocked off most of it, then it was a cruise.

World Cup will be a stroll in the park. [Will delete after the Scotland loss]

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 30 May 2024, 9:50 pm

Easy win in the end. Not sure why Pakistan appeared to be playing Dwayne Leverock as their wicket keeper!

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 30 May 2024, 9:57 pm

Now that's a name!

https://youtu.be/gQC6fQSB5rU?si=axvuzp0oz98sRKz-&t=32

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 31 May 2024, 5:41 am

Nice to see England got a bit of warm up cricket between showers...

Couple of easy wins . Not sure anything new learned ; or whether much can be taken from these games. But good to see Wood and Archer getting a few overs without (yet) breaking down Smile And at least the first four batsmen spent some time at the crease. Team makeup seems pretty locked in already.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 31 May 2024, 2:51 pm

2 out of 4 games being rained off obviously sucks, but, I'd say those two games went really well from England's perspective. Positives definitely outweighing the negatives.

Positives:

- Top 5 looking comfortable with their roles
- Mo and Livi both having success bowling
- Jof looking close to Jof
- Jordan bowling well - really important with balancing this side given Surran has struggled with the ball for a while
- Dilly's shoulder looks OK
- Wood bowling absolute heat

Downsides would be:

- Topley not looking near his best
- Hartley not getting a debut
- Surran getting zero overs to show if he's bowling better

Most of my biggest concerns from the CWC feel alleviated to an extent. There seemed to be no role definition or comfort with roles in batting or bowling there. The clarity from the Bayliss-Morgan era was gone. Batters looked confused about when to attack. The bowling, whilst better than batting, felt thin in all three phases. Then, the fielding was mostly dire by their former standards.

The batting roles are very clear here. Jos will combine being an anchor with a high SR as Jos does. Salt and Jacks will go hard. Bairstow can target spin. Brooks can hit 360 degrees. Mo can hit spin. Livi can hit pace. Jordan (or maybe Surran) are very good number 8s.

I do have concerns about Livi being found out a bit as a hitter, but, I think the batting power and depth is there regardless. I also have lingering concerns about YJB's running between the wickets. He just isn't as quick anymore, which can be vital in the middle overs. Especially if we get slow and low turners. It looks like he is responding to that by going down the Windies route of targeting 6s even if it requires some dot balls. He's got the striking power that I am willing to see that playout. Plus, Duckett suits a very different style of middle overs spin playing perfectly if required.

Bowling wise, the middle overs look stacked with multiple spin options, Wood and Jof as a strike options. Death bowling has Jof and Jordan as go to options with Topley (form dependent), Wood (pace matchup) and Dilly (spin matchup). I expect them to go for a similar tactic in the PP to the last World T20 with Stokes. They tried to sneak Stokes in for the 1st and 7th over as they are usually the lowest scoring. Then, if he started well they might nab another PP over. It looks like Mo will be doing similar.

Jof helps balance things so much. Strike bowler in the PP or middle. Elite at the death. I've thought for a while that three phase bowlers are the real all-rounders in T20 cricket.

I thought they fielded very well as a whole. The injection of Jordan and some younger players definitely helping there. Jordan is elite in the field. Whilst Salt, Jacks and Brook are good fielders. Whisper it, but Jof was moving well too. It's often forgotten, but he's a fantastic boundary fielder given his athleticism and height. YJB, Dilly and Mo aren't the lithest these days. That's very coverable though. Dilly will habitually be at third man or fine leg as he has been for a long while. YJB and Mo will be in the ring. Whereas at the CWC there was one legged Stokes and Malan on top of those guys. Plus Jonny was moving even worse then. At that point, the majority of your fielders need hiding to some extent.

king_carlos

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 May 2024, 3:12 pm

I feel as positive as can be about England's chances. Obviously, it's T20, so there's a lot of randomness, and I think a lot of the grounds at this World Cup aren't going to have the biggest boundaries, so there's loads of potential winners.

But England are in as good a place as they can be. The batting was shocking at the 50 over World Cup. But Buttler's rediscovered his form, there's a settled batting order, and everyone in that top five can launch multiple maximums and score centuries. The bowling is the main concern. But Wood appears, early stages yet, to have put that horror winter behind him, Jofra's back and Rashid looks as good as ever.

Lots to be positive about.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 May 2024, 6:12 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/may/31/england-durham-brydon-carse-banned-after-betting-on-cricket

Well, I didn't have money on this...

Carse banned from all cricket for three months after placing 303 bets, in a two year timeframe, on cricket games.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 31 May 2024, 6:29 pm

Wood, Archer and Stokes all fit and bowling at the same time?

Is this the end of times?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 01 Jun 2024, 12:24 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Wood, Archer and Stokes all fit and bowling at the same time?

Is this the end of times?

Give it till October '25. We'll have 4 medium pacers fit and Robinson bowling offies.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jun 2024, 12:07 pm

60 years today since Geoffrey Boycott made his test debut, and the great man puts down his thoughts on how cricket has changed, for better and for worse, in this excellent article (from The Telegraph).

Spoiler:

Duty281

alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Jun 2024, 10:56 pm

Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), Alick Athanaze, Joshua Da Silva (wk), Jason Holder, Kavem Hodge, Tevin Imlach, Alzarri Joseph (vice-capt), Shamar Joseph, Mikyle Louis, Zachary McCaskie, Kirk McKenzie, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Jayden Seales and Kevin Sinclair.
Development player: Isai Thorne

West Indies have sneakily named their squad for the three match test series. Holder and Seales return, after missing the Australia tour. Seales has done very well for Sussex this season. Shamar Joseph obviously retains his place after his 7/58 in Brisbane. Louis, who has played just 7 FC games, though has an average of 49, is a potential debutant, as are Imlach and McCaskie.

Overall, looks a team that can do damage with pace on the ball, but a bit lacking on the batting front. Quite an inexperienced side overall. There's still lots of hope about Athanaze, while we'll have to see how good Louis is. This is, of course, the West Indies against England, so someone like Hodge or Da Silva putting up a double ton is pretty much inevitable!

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 05 Jun 2024, 4:52 am

Thanks for posting that article , Duty thumbsup

Lot of good sense from old Geoffrey in that. Interesting to hear his positive views on the ultra short game : somehow can't quite see him smashing 45 off twelve balls in a brightly coloured t-shirt ; but I suppose as he says "players adapt"...

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 05 Jun 2024, 11:03 am

alfie wrote:Thanks for posting that article , Duty thumbsup

Lot of good sense from old Geoffrey in that. Interesting to hear his positive views on the ultra short game : somehow can't quite see him smashing 45 off twelve balls in a brightly coloured t-shirt ; but I suppose as he says "players adapt"...

So do the fans, alfie. Very Happy

I remember the long hot summer days when I'd be lounging under an umbrella next to the pool for hours... listening to Alan McGilvray and Blowers on the radio.

"... and Boycott plays this one; a simple forward defensive shot. No run. He's still on 31."

I'd then pop down to the shops, buy an ice cream... come back home, check the letter box, make a quick phone call... then resume my place next to the pool.

"... and this time Boycott punches one towards the cover region... but again the fielder is there. No run.
And so Boycott remains on 31 at the end of that over... and it's time for a drink."

I'm pretty sure he went on to make another century.

Anyone with such patience and determination needs to be taken seriously. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

guildfordbat, alfie and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Jun 2024, 4:53 pm

Chris Woakes got back to competitive first team cricket for the first time in just over four months yesterday. Good to see.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4