The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Play Offs

+15
Pete330v2
RugbyFan100
BigGee
carpet baboon
jimbopip
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
bsando
Unclear
formerly known as Sam
Welshmushroom
thebandwagonsociety
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
neilthom7
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

URC Play Offs  Empty URC Play Offs

Post by neilthom7 Sun 02 Jun 2024, 10:20 am

It's play off time

QUARTER-FINALS

Munster 23 v Ospreys 7
Vodacom Bulls 30 v Benetton 23
Leinster 43 v Ulster 20
Glasgow Warriors 27 v DHL Stormers 10

SEMI-FINALS

Vodacom Bulls 25 v Leinster 20
Munster 10 v Glasgow Warriors 17

URC GRAND FINAL

Saturday 22nd June 2024
Vodacom Bulls v Glasgow Warriors
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria.
17:00 UK/Ireland (18:00 SA)
Live on- RTE (Ireland), Premier Sports (UK & Ireland), SuperSport (South Africa), Sky Italia (Italy), Flo Rugby (USA) and URC.tv

Last edited by neilthom7 on Sun 16 Jun 2024, 5:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

mikey_dragon and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

URC Play Offs  Empty Re: URC Play Offs

Post by RiscaGame Sun 02 Jun 2024, 10:45 am

Will definitely tune in for Munster v Ospreys, but am off to Wembley on a freebie on Sat for the RL Challenge Cup final.

Guess my plan of not having a beer on the Friday, is probably out of the window.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 02 Jun 2024, 11:03 am

Those 2 saturday evening games both look like they could be absolute belters.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 02 Jun 2024, 3:44 pm

Glad that our Leinster had already done enough to secure the home play-off, it's been a tense few weeks for lifelong supporters of the D4 Troopers, like me. I never thought I'd say it but I am very worried about playing Ulster given the recent record... It'll be a game alright, but I expect Leinster to take it - we'll put out the Ireland team and their experience in KO games should be the difference. Ulster have done well considering the injuries and the coaching change, plus, this sure ain't an easy league.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 04 Jun 2024, 11:01 am

Out of the 8 teams, the only pair of upsets would be Ospreys or Benetton managing a win on the road. I'd see Ulster and Stormers both having a solid shout at picking up an away victory.
It's knock-out rugby so the league form counts for nothing now.
If the weather is good, there might be some fabulous rugby getting played. Fingers crossed for a good showing for the URC.
And only one fixture is single-nation representation so that gets keeps the variety. All URC nations got at least one representative into the knockouts on merit rules (cough cough the conference set up still skews the strength of schedule some sides have to handle).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 04 Jun 2024, 1:10 pm

On paper you would imagine all the home teams should win, but ever since it became the URC there have been upsets in the playoffs. I'm sure there will be a couple of results that probably go against expectations.

I do think there will be question marks on Leinster and playing at the Aviva I actually think might be a better result for Ulster than playing at the RDS.

Probably the only result this week I'm pretty sure of is Munster beating Ospreys. For the others who knows.

Going to be fun to watch though.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:31 pm

Munster looked good that first half. I will say O'Mahoney is getting away with murder though. Lost count on the side entries at rucks and then rolling round to lie all over the ball. The minute the ref didnt call the first one, he was always going to start doing it a lot.

They have been pretty good at scrum time though as I though Ospreys would really do a number on them there.

I think the Ospreys made a mistake not to take 3 at the end of that half and get within 7.

Probably safe to say Ospreys do need to score next in this opening second half.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:41 pm

Dont know what Gatland is on about with Morris in defence. He is keeping the Ospreys in the game with his D in this second half......He's had 4 big defensive moments already.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:45 pm

Really physical game this one - not one for the faint hearted. Some massive tackles going in....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:49 pm

Ok i will say i had a chuckle then - Ospreys come round the side on a ruck....nice to see she knows the law but hasnt bothered applying it to Munster in the first half...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:52 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
They have been pretty good at scrum time though as I though Ospreys would really do a number on them there.  

Looked like both looseheads were on top. Ospreys maybe have the edge but Botha can't stay in the fight though, he angles in or stands up. Ref has noticed and then was looking for it which hampered Ospreys.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:53 pm

I'm starting to think Morris is trying to make a point to Gatland in this game. He's been outstanding in defence. But defending will do no good for Ospreys. They cant afford for munster to score next

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:54 pm

I think Smith still being on is a surprise Jaeger with fresh legs is starting to show up in the scrum. Not often props go as many minutes as this...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:58 pm

I will say Ospreys really could do with a quicker full back. Naggy is big and good in the air but I really think he lacks the pace that would help their attacking play.

I also dont rate Williams as a 10. Edwards gives them more threat ball in hand.

Watkins has had a pretty good game though for a change.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:58 pm

But 2 penalties I for Munster have ended this game 23-7.

Long way back now for them and to much to do i think now.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:

Looked like both looseheads were on top. Ospreys maybe have the edge but Botha can't stay in the fight though, he angles in or stands up. Ref has noticed and then was looking for it which hampered Ospreys.

Loughman angled inwards every time on their ball in the first half, when he didn’t on Ospreys ball they went backwards. Botha isn’t good at much, but he demolishes pretty much everyone at scrum time. This ref isn’t good enough, it’s typical for this league though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:02 pm

Not sure what the Shane Williams eugenics program is up too. Wales could really do with a few Williams kid clones in the game.

Was always my favourite to watch. Probably a once in a life time player. Not sure I will ever see another player with his sort of balance and deception.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:03 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:I will say Ospreys really could do with a quicker full back.  Naggy is big and good in the air but I really think he lacks the pace that would help their attacking play.

I also dont rate Williams as a 10.  Edwards gives them more threat ball in hand.

Time to put Nagy for Wales to bed. I’ve always said he was too average, surely this is proof. He’s been poor at most things tonight.

Not sure about Watkin having a good game, but he’ll likely dine out on that pass/offload for a few months. He still dines out on some tap tackle against 14-man Scotland. Kieran Williams has done a lot more and looks good. Owen Williams isn’t good enough for this level any more, he struggles with penalty kicks to touch.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:04 pm

Yeah I will say this Ref is a little one side with the penalty count. There have been some questionable calls. I actually think her linesmen havent helped her either much.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:08 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:I will say Ospreys really could do with a quicker full back.  Naggy is big and good in the air but I really think he lacks the pace that would help their attacking play.

I also dont rate Williams as a 10.  Edwards gives them more threat ball in hand.

Time to put Nagy for Wales to bed. I’ve always said he was too average, surely this is proof. He’s been poor at most things tonight.

Not sure about Watkin having a good game, but he’ll likely dine out on that pass/offload for a few months. He still dines out on some tap tackle against 14-man Scotland. Kieran Williams has done a lot more and looks good. Owen Williams isn’t good enough for this level any more, he struggles with penalty kicks to touch.

As you know I'm not the biggest Watkin fan but he has had some really good carries and lines in this game (not just the try). His defence has been ok as well.

For me the big issue for Ospreys is they lack a bit of pace in some key areas. Playing a quick 15 will only work if you have a creative 10. Williams has never been that. But Edwards actually has impressed me this year.

I will say Giles as good and quick as he is in attack his defence and catching kicks is not anywhere near the required standard.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:10 pm

But this game no matter what Gatland says for me has put to bed that Morris can't defend. He was pretty immense there.

But Ospreys will need to develop their game a bit if they want to kick on because you cant win games without possession unless every match is being played in a monsoon.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:13 pm

It has confirmed this ref shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the semi and finals though. She is better than Adamson who for me has to be the worst ref in this league by a country mile.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:17 pm

I will say I've no clue how some of these guys are being ignored for Wales. Kieran at 12 I would have looked at. Morris as well. Even Reuben has been pretty good this season. And Smith as well....

Ironically he's picked all the guys I wouldnt have taken.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:17 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

As you know I'm not the biggest Watkin fan but he has had some really good carries and lines in this game (not just the try).  His defence has been ok as well.

For me the big issue for Ospreys is they lack a bit of pace in some key areas.   Playing a quick 15 will only work if you have a creative 10.  Williams has never been that.  But Edwards actually has impressed me this year.  

I will say Giles as good and quick as he is in attack his defence and catching kicks is not anywhere near the required standard.

Watkin is too slow and doesn’t gain ground in contact. I can’t think of anything else he’s done well tonight. It’s the same every week where he basically just makes up the numbers. At least Williams offers something, I don’t see what Watkin does.

Ospreys need TH cover and a couple additions to the back 3, they won’t bother though. Certain players prove to be useless against the top teams in the league.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:18 pm

Williams reminds me a lot of Gibbs in defence. He smashes them once he lines them up.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:23 pm

I get your point and as I said I actually dont think Watkins is a good 13 and Kieran is simply a better 12.  What they need to do is find a better tighthead than Botha, Keep Edwards at 10, find a faster 13 & 15 option.  And I'm as I said im not convinced at the Ospreys wings.  

But 5 players and a few bench players - they could be a very good team.

Having watched this game though I'm almost certain Munster wont win this year's URC.  Happy to be proven wrong though.....but I think there are better teams in the comp this year.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:26 pm

Problem for Ospreys seemed to be that they struggled to get any momentum from their forwards, when they did it seemed to be a surprise and they then didn't resource the breakdown quickly enough. Munster always had a set defence (possibly slightly offside at times) and the Ospreys just couldn't get round the corner.

The Ospreys try was rather brilliant but they created very little after that point.

Owen Williams is a good 10 when it comes to game management and keeping things moving. What he won't do is break open a game. Works if you've got at least parity up front and a degree of momentum. If you're chasing the game not the option you need. He had a cannon of a boot earlier in this career, it's either left him or Ospreys don't choose to use it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:29 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
Having watched this game though I'm almost certain Munster wont win this year's URC.  Happy to be proven wrong though.....but I think there are better teams in the comp this year.

Munster are scrappers though, always gives them a punchers chance. Wigg has coached them to the top before, they might need a bit of luck but I wouldn't rule them out.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:35 pm

Really will depend who they face. A firing Leinster or Bulls will be about the same as this match in terms of Ospreys chances before the game.

I'll reserve my judgement on the winners until I see tomorrows game but given the draws now I actually think Bulls would be my pick based on what I have seen from them this year.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:32 pm

Ah here we go again....looks a nice day in S.Africa. Benetton have a tough task on their hands for this one....

I do like the way they play though.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:33 pm

Barely a minute in and Arendse goes over. Should be 7-0 Bulls.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:51 pm

Benetton pull 3 back and look like they are up for this game. Bulls lead 7-3

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:53 pm

Benetton score a really nice try.....Ratave finishes off. Bulls got caught trying to kick the ball away.

Ref cancels it as player wasnt bound when he broke from the ruck. Bulls have been given a warning though for messing about clearing the ball.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:55 pm

Bulls go the other end and score through Arendse again.....For such a small guy teams really struggle to put him down. Very strong for a little guy.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:56 pm

So Bulls stretch to 14-3.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:01 pm

Adamson confirming again why he is the worst ref in the league.....

Just an awful ref.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:06 pm

Honestly what is Adamson smoking - that was a ruck all day and the play running ball from Bulls interferes with play.....for me thats offside and cynical - should have been yellow card there....instead he says no ruck so player isnt offside.....

On top of that Bulls are falling the wrong side a lot at ruck time....and Adamson doesnt have a problem with it...

If I was Benetton I would be annoyed at some of these calls.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:07 pm

Ratave pulls one back after going quickly.....when they go quick Benetton do look really good.

Tough conversion to come though as that was wide left. But at 14-8 they are back in this.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:08 pm

Missed the conversion but at least they are back 6 points behind.

If they can stay in this till the final 20 they will test this Bulls fitness.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:14 pm

ratave beats 2 defenders and passes it and Garbisi cant take the pass. Sure try gone to waste there....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:18 pm

Bulls lead 17-8 at halftime....Benetton caused them some problems there though....1 disallowed try and 1 handling error on the the final pass and Benetton would be ahead at half time....

Benetton look like they are fitter than Bulls - Should make the last 20 really interesting...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:31 pm

Arendse hasnt come back after halftime - failed HIA by the looks of it.

Meanwhile at kick off Bulls knock on receiving in the 22. Benetton get a penalty from the scrum as well.

Shot at goal right in front of the posts. Should be 17-11 to Bulls.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:42 pm

I will have to revise last nights winner prediction....Bulls won't win the URC based on what I have seen today....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:44 pm

Adamson is gifting this one to the Bulls.....I dont think Benetton are getting any calls here today....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:51 pm

Benetton hit back with another one - some lovely lines again from them. 20-16 Bulls and they have a conversion to come.....

Gets it so thats 20-18 - 20 mins to go......

This is going to the wire.....Benetton just look fitter...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:52 pm

Bulls really having a tough time with Ratave - he's having a great game today...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 3:53 pm

Bulls score one of their own 25-18 with a conversion to come..

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 4:00 pm

Benetton score again - tough conversion coming though but 27-23 to Bulls - 4 point game with a conversion to come.

Missed conversion.....

13 minutes to go but 1 try for Benetton would give them a lead and they look like they have a lot of legs in them still.......Bulls look out on their feet at the moment.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Sat 08 Jun 2024, 7:09 pm

Nobody watching the Leinster/Ulster game?

Deserved Leinster win, but a lot closer than the scoreline suggests in my view (okay a bit biased). The Leinster attack seems to be improving, but Ulster showed that the defence isn't anything like impregnable. Izzy, while he was on, was fantastic and Timoney and McCann worked tirelessly throughout.

Not that it would have made much of a difference, but Doris should have seen yellow (and a penalty try) for the maul collapse just before half time, but thems the breaks.

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 08 Jun 2024, 9:34 pm

Watched both the evening games.

Leinster defo should have been carded - i do think they got away with one there. I dont think they are unbeatable.

After watching the other games I actually have done a full 180 and now think Munster might retain the title. Partly because whoever come out of that semi Bulls vs Leinster may be severely battered for the final.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next