The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WRU/Welsh management overhaul?

5 posters

Go down

WRU/Welsh management overhaul? Empty WRU/Welsh management overhaul?

Post by wrfc1980 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:36 pm

It seems to be that the top brass in Welsh rugby need to overhaul the game in Wales. The Welsh national team have been pretty poor over the last 2 years winning just 5 games out of 17 in all that time. Scraping a draw against Fiji and hanging on by the skin if their teeth at home to Samoa just isn't what you would expect from a home nation. Add to that the odd decision to lord after Henson hanging banners of him from the Millenium stadium which annoyed many of the welsh team. Henson has also been selected for the 45 man training squa despite looking way way off the game in the baa baa's game and still filming his celebrity TV shows! I don't think any other top 10 team in world rugby would accept being a laughing stock my trapsing after Henson like Wales are.
The Welsh regions look no closer to progressing in the HK and continue to look like also rans and an inconvinience to the Irish, French and English teams in their groups rather than group winners.
Finally yob type behaviour contines to be a problem with guys like Andy Powell and Phillips getting themselves in bother off the pitch, not to mentioned the well known Taibach incident which has been brushed under the carpet.
The recent thrashing of the Wales under 20's team show that there is a massive lack of development at the colts level.
I would love to see a consistantly strong Welsh team, even as a englishman! A Welsh team in full flow in front of their home town is one of the most special sites in rugby. However, I fear there is fundamental problems in Welsh rugby and without strong leadership at the top end of the game can see another 30 years of hurt for the men in red.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

WRU/Welsh management overhaul? Empty Re: WRU/Welsh management overhaul?

Post by manofgwent Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

I thought that when Wales appointed warren gatland with Shaun Edwards, they would really sort out the player power in welsh rugby and control the egos. Wales win a grand slam and you start thinking that Wales are homing to really kick on. But here we are 2 months away from a world cup and what have the welsh management actually done since that grand slam?
Just look how many players that the tri nations teams will release after the world cup. Mostly in their late 20' and early 30's. We've persisted in playing the likes of Stephen jones, Martyn Williams, deiniol jones, Gavin Thomas, Tom shanking and others eventhough there best days were behind them. Gatland has persisted too long with certain players.e. Johnathon anonymous, Ryan sideways jones, Bennett, Phillips, and others like Byrne, AW jones, Bradley knock on Davies are guranteef to be playing in the WC.
For me it's too cozy in the welsh set up and 2 months from the WC we are again looking doomed. I've been saying fir 2 years that we've needed to blood mote youngsters bug instead gatland has been chasing the win and trying to improve his woeful record. If this was Gareth Jenkins, he'd be getting ridiculed in the press.
It says it all for me when we picked our strongest team last summer to play a second string springboks team that had only just arrived in cardiff. What happened? Nobody was blooded, nothing learned and yes we lost!!! If we'd have won we'd have probably released a DVD!!!
You're spot on. We've only won 2 autumn internationals in 2 years. And yes we could and should have lost to samoa!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

MOG:

Much of what you stated I agree with but AW Jones, R Jones and Bradley Davies, if it up to you we would have all Dragons players representing Wales. If the Dragons are so good why are they playing in the Amlin next season?

I have to say Tovey should have played against the Baa Baas and not S Jones, now we have Tovey is included in the squad without having a game under his belt for Wales, this tells me he is just making up the numbers.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

MOG, I've read a number of topics today where you've extolled the virtues of Wayne Evans and Jason Tovey, it's all well having attacking and kicking skills, but if you will not or cannot TACKLE to a decent standard, you don't deserve to be a Magners or whatever it is now to be called player. You're having a go at the 3 second rows, so who takes their place Luke( Cant break through a wet paper bag) Charteris, at 6'10'' he doesn't call lineout calls to himself on a regular basis, even when he was captain, that was more than likely why the captaincy was taken off him

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

I'm not a mod but maybe it would be nice to stick to the topic and not make this a Dragons vs Rest of Wales thread. Just a thought...

Discipline and poor selections are the main causes imo. Three players are currently in the squad who shouldn't even be within fifty yards of it - Henson, Powell and Bennett. The first two go without saying, loose cannons off the field and not even meriting selection when on it. Bennett remains a mystery, at his best he was decent but never great and now-

The only challenge they have to take on is the game itself, which is proving to be too much for them as a result of the challenges they are not recieving outside the game.

Gatland is currently failing to test people for their places. If they're not going to be made to fight for them then their competitiveness on against other teams is only going to be reduced. And the WRU's failure to really clamp down consistently on unnacceptable behavior only inflates the egos within the squad.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down