The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Pests Target Dai Young

+16
red_stag
Montague Withnail
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mckay1402
Cumbrian
ScarletSpiderman
BATH_BTGOG
welshy824
Knowsit17
bedfordwelsh
Cymroglan
kiwicraving
manofgwent
Londonwelsh
Shifty
wales606
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

London Pests Target Dai Young Empty Dai Young to Wasps!

Post by wales606 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:44 pm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/rugby/article-23961602-young-is-wasps-favourite.do

I just saw this on the Blues fans forum.

It is an interesting development considering that Dia signed a new contract this year and PT wasnt even considering getting rid of/letting Dia leave.

It is also interesting to see that Paul Turner applied for the job and was rejected.

However, it does seem to be contradicted by an article they ran a few weeks ago,

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/rugby/article-23952698-ryan-handed-top-wasps-job.do

............................................................................................................................................

What do people think, do Wasps supporters want Young, do Blues supporters want Dia to leave?

Personally I think it will be good to see some shake up at the Blues, but I would have preffered Dia Young to stay, just the backs and forward coachs (and some of the players) to go,

Who will replace Young if he does go?

Last edited by wales606 on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

London Pests Target Dai Young Empty Re: London Pests Target Dai Young

Post by Shifty Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

I dont think Peter Thomas wants Dai to leave.
But I think a chance of coach might suit the Blues to be honest, the obvious choice would of been Dale Mcintosh but he recently got sacked by the blues for that bar room brawl thing.
Mike Rayer might be an outside bet. Hes doing brilliantly with Bedford and a Cardiff boy through and through.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

AlynDavies wrote:I dont think Peter Thomas wants Dai to leave.
Dale Mcintosh but he recently got sacked by the blues for that bar room brawl thing.
Mike Rayer might be an outside bet. Hes doing brilliantly with Bedford and a Cardiff boy through and through.

Really? I dont remember that, I know he is doing well at Ponty and there was calls for him to become the Blues new backs coach - I cant see them giving him the top job, surely if Young leaves they will be able to bring in an experienced coach?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:30 pm

Blues fans should take this article with a pinch of salt. There is not enough information in this article that suggests this is true. I'm not convinced by this article i'm afraid. It's no better than the football transfer rumours you read in the back of The Sun. I have a feeling Dai is staying put. For now anyway.....
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

After dai young signed a new contract. I heard Peter Thomas say that his new contract would take him up to the end of warren gatland's Wales contract and then dai would take over the welsh job.
When I heard this I had to put both hands on a steering wheel as I was consumed with laughter. Either peter Thomas is the new mystic meg or he's had one too many of his pies!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

manfogwent

Peter Thomas said he would only let Dai out of his contract for the Wales job (although that may have changed)

Dia Young has always been the front runner from the next Welsh Wales head coach.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwicraving Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

He's awful though... talk about underachieving with a great squad.

kiwicraving

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:09 am

The Blues havent achieved as much as they would have liked because they have NEVER had a decent FH and THP.

I think Dai Young is a great manager of players and keeps their feet on the ground well - which is why I would want him to stay - but a lot of the backroom staff HAVE to go if next season is like last, id like to see the Ponty coachs come in to replace them (McIntosh and the 7s guy...whatshisname) as Backs and Skills coachs and a new Forward coach aswell (or just new forwards... Whistle )
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:27 am

Wales 606. I might be wrong but doesn't young's contract run until 2014?

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

Just said on news he was going Blues refused to comment

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:18 pm

REALLY?

WOW, I thought this story would come to nothing!

It must have taken a lot for Thomas to let Dai out of his contract (perhaps a hefty fee to reduce our debt?)

Who will be the next Blues coach?!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:22 pm

Wales606 I wont believe it until there is conformation from Wasps. You know what it's like here in Wales for jumping to conclusions when it comes to rugby matters.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:24 pm

Well, the guys on the Blues forum seem to think its true,

Also, one of them says this "My big worry is didn't some big name players have a get out on there contract if the above happened? i know for a fact gethin does"

Which could mean even bigger changes at the Blues!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

wales606 wrote:Well, the guys on the Blues forum seem to think its true,

Also, one of them says this "My big worry is didn't some big name players have a get out on there contract if the above happened? i know for a fact gethin does"

Central contracts could be the way forward then.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

Cyrmoglan

I dont this central contract would make much difference

If player like Gethin are unhappy with Young leaving then not even the WRU and the Blues would be able to put in an offer to match those from France.

Lets hope that the Board have finally done things properly and talked to the player before this and ensured that they all signed new contracts, and I hope that there are no hard feeling over whatevers happened - there are already enough problems behind the scenes at the Blues, we dont need more infighting, especially if it effects the players.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm

Also, could this be to do with rumour that the Blues were going to sign Henson, after all, Dai basically said 'over my dead body', but with him gone?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

Why would so many players leaving the Blues be a bad thing they have a load of youngsters coming though. Letting a few of the more expensive guys leave and having a few season trying to bring kids through would be a good thing. The Scarlets have a great young team and a low wage bill, the Blues and Ospreys could replicate that status.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

AlynDavies,

It all very well saying that, but if the Blues had to replace their entire team they would basically have to field Cardiff/Ponty RFC.

The Scarlets didnt build up a team by sacking all the players - they DONT have young academy players in every position, instead the team has been built up around Rees, Jones, Lyons, Lamont etc, and without those players to guide them through they wouldnt have been a success (and still it took several seasons of poor performances and they havent done well in Europe still)

The Blues CANNOT AFFORD to lose Gethin Jenkins, Sam Warburton, Bradley Davies, Jamie Roberts, Leigh Halpenny, Scott Andrews or any other of our young welsh players - and for now we have nobody to replace Filise or Rush (or a kicker to replace Parks - but Sweeney/Halfpenny would be fine if we scored tries :/)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/cardiff-blues/2011/06/19/david-young-set-to-turn-down-overtures-from-london-wasps-and-stay-at-the-blues-91466-28901517/#sitelife-commentsWidget-bottom

Looks like its not to be.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:25 am

Alyn - the Scarlets team is not on a low wage bill. A lot of our younger players got involved with the Welsh set up before they renewed their contracts, I can't imagine that a lot of them are that cheap anymore!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

Blues can't afford to lose Scott Andrews?

Cant afford to keep him IMO if the ywant to challenge for things him or Yapp shouldn't be anywhere near the Welsh Squad and doubt Andrews will make it really as Regional player.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

Well, if we did we would have no THPs left.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

wales606 wrote:AlynDavies,

It all very well saying that, but if the Blues had to replace their entire team they would basically have to field Cardiff/Ponty RFC.

The Scarlets didnt build up a team by sacking all the players - they DONT have young academy players in every position, instead the team has been built up around Rees, Jones, Lyons, Lamont etc, and without those players to guide them through they wouldnt have been a success (and still it took several seasons of poor performances and they havent done well in Europe still)

The Blues CANNOT AFFORD to lose Gethin Jenkins, Sam Warburton, Bradley Davies, Jamie Roberts, Leigh Halpenny, Scott Andrews or any other of our young welsh players - and for now we have nobody to replace Filise or Rush (or a kicker to replace Parks - but Sweeney/Halfpenny would be fine if we scored tries :/)

rugbydreamer wrote:Alyn - the Scarlets team is not on a low wage bill. A lot of our younger players got involved with the Welsh set up before they renewed their contracts, I can't imagine that a lot of them are that cheap anymore!

No I'm not talking about replacing an entire team guys, but home grown players are always cheaper than imported ones. Basically when you develop a player and they spend their career at one club the general rule is their going to be on less than a player you have had to push the boat out to tempt to sign for you. Look at Manchester United, players like Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, and Gary Neville were always on less money than they could of easily got elsewhere, because they wanted to be at the club and were loyal to it.
Shane Williams always took a lot less money at the Ospreys than he could of easily earnt moving away to France or England. He always said he didnt want to leave and this gave the Ospreys a negotiating advantage, he wasnt paid badly but neither did the Ospreys need to sell a kidney to keep him.
Rhys Tomas at the Scarlets would be a good example, he was at the Dragons the Scarlets thought he had potential so tempted him with the biggest contract any prop in Wales had at the time, 180k a year I think. He is on the same money as Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones!
I think it's fair to say that the money that Rush and Parks are on is pretty substancial because there would of been other teams trying to sign them as the same time as the Blues. If Cardiff's home grown lads Gethin Jenkins, Sam Warburton, Bradley Davies, Jamie Roberts, Leigh Halpenny were to move to a different club it's pretty obvious they would be on substancially more money because there would be several teams competing to sign them.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwicraving Sun 19 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

wales606 wrote:Well, the guys on the Blues forum seem to think its true,

ah god surely no players have contracts connected to dai young being there, he's a terrible coach. This is hardly guy noves we're talking about here. I really can't imagine someone like gethin jenkins whos one of the best in the world at his position saying, i'll only play for cardiff if the great dai young is here.

kiwicraving

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

Would have loved to see Turner get it personally. After seeing how far he could take the Dragons it would be interesting to see how well he steps up. God knows the Blues and the Ospreys for that matter could afford to play with the heart the Dragons have shown in recent years.

Dai Young showed considerable lack of decision when he claimed to be releasing Shanklin and Williams and then did just the opposite. I say it's time for him to walk, one meaningful trophy in all his time in charge and never that close to providing a serious CL challenge

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

"Dai Young showed considerable lack of decision when he claimed to be releasing Shanklin and Williams and then did just the opposite"

That wasnt Dia Young, it was Peter Thomas - Young was furious over the way it was handled and he fought Thomas to allow him to give Martyn a 1 year extension.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

roberts wont leave cardiff due to his uni course... or has he finished it?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

He just finished his 4th year exams - so im guessing he will take another 2 years to finish the 5th year due to rugby - although he has said he may quit rugby when he is finished.

Anyway, it doesnt look like it will matter if Dai is staying as the WM suggests
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

London Pests Target Dai Young Empty London Pests Target Dai Young

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

Looks like Dai Young could be the DOR at Wasps

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/default.stm

Good move for Dai IMO if he wants the Welsh Job after Gats leaves or is pushed after the world cup.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

Personally I think it is a good move for all. Dai's stock as a coach appears to have dropped some what with the Blues not performing this season, so maybe a stint outside of Wales will do him some good. Also it may work out well for the Blues too as there tends to be a pick up in performance of teams when a new coach takes over.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

I'm not sure. Is he likley to take a lot of Welsh players with him to Wasps? I wouldn't blame him, he's bound to have better inside knowledge of them. I wouldn't like to see Wasps get too many more non- EQ players. Besides beware, it only takes three years. Laugh
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

It's a good move for wasps and Dai. He'll do well in the prem I reckon.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

Covered it a few days ago,

https://www.606v2.com/t7388-dai-young-to-wasps

But the Blues have made a statement saying that they havent been contacted,

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5194.php
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

Well we may now know where Mr Henson will be playing next season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

wales606 wrote:Covered it a few days ago,

https://www.606v2.com/t7388-dai-young-to-wasps

Cheers mate, you saved me the hassle of going looking for the old one, made doing the merge much easier. OK
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

Just helping out the newbie kiwi Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

If the Blues players do have a 'get out clause' so they could follow Dai if he does move then maybe that would benefit the Blues and Welsh setup even more. After all, if Roberts, Jenkins and Williams (for example) ended up playing in the Jeff then that would leave space for the likes of Hewitt, Navidi and Hobbs to get realistic game time and improve their own chances for Welsh caps.

Also I was thinking over dinner it seems like with a bit of a WRU influenced move, as this would give Dai some experience outside of Wales, and also some time to work alongside Edwards. After all he was already coached alongside Rob Howley, Neil Jenkins and Dan Baugh.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

Its good for Dai to go to a different club he's been at the blues to long and getting him out of his cushy little number at the Blues will do everyone the world of good.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Montague Withnail Wed 22 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

He'll have my full support if he comes, we could do a lot worse than Dai.

That's not to say I don't have my doubts mind, I think Cardif's squad is a lot better than Wasps but they have not exactly over-achieved.

Montague Withnail

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

Is Dai a nickname? Why do Cardiff Blues refer to him as David? Surely Dai is his name. It would be like calling Seán O'Brien, "John".
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

dai is the welsh for dave, which is short for david

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:28 pm

Yes I know that the same way that Sean is Irish for John.

However surely his name is Dai not David.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

well its the same really, i mean dai and david sound similar, and i know a guy who is called david which is on his passport and stuff but all his friends and collegues know him as dai.

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

His proper name is David, Stag.

But in Wales, I've rarely met anyone who actually goes by that name. It's always changed via nick name to either Dai or Dave. Tis just how it is.

There were about 5 David's in my year at school. They were all referred to as Dai.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

red_stag wrote:Yes I know that the same way that Sean is Irish for John.

However surely his name is Dai not David.

It's be more like referring to someone as Andrew not Andy, or Jonathon not Johnny. Dai is just short for his real first name.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:16 pm

Ah ok I thought it was just a Welsh name that they were anglicising. Thanks Andrew and Dreamer Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

Don't you mean Notch and Dreamer? Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

oi what about me? Wink

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:00 am

Also David Young doesn't have the same impact as Die Young (p.s. i know its spelt Dai)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:43 am

And you Welshy - though you confused me. In Irish we have Irish versions of English names. But they wouldn't be nicknames or interchangable.

Liam - William
Seán - John
Niall - Neil
Séamus - John
Máire - Mary
Dónal - Daniel
Aodh - Hugh
Sinéad - Janet
Caoimhín - Kevin
etc, etc

But you wouldn't swap them about.
red_stag