The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impact Wrestling aka TNA

5 posters

Go down

Impact Wrestling aka TNA Empty Impact Wrestling aka TNA

Post by talkingpoint Sun 26 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

Well I was channel hopping last night and happened to flick over to challenge where I saw Impact Wrestling. The first thing I saw was Austin Aries walking down the ramp(!). So I left it on both happy and nervous about seeing him in a TNA product. The triple threat match was entertaining, Aries performing many of his trademark moves and having lost none of his heelish arrogance he had as ROH champ. It was good to see such a talented and respected indie wrestler on the show. He also got quite a nice Austin Aries chant at one point from the crowd, which shows that TNA fans do know something about the indie scene. I knew Aries went to Dragon's Gate after leaving ROH last year but obviously he wants to climb the proverbial ladder so to speak and trying to break through into Impact Wrestling again. All I hope is that they use him right - he is capable of being a great heel and definitely main eventer despite his size.

On a side note I actually quite liked the look of the Impact zone, the blue ropes and blue graphics were quite refreshing and I thought the impact zone was looking more professional.

So I kept the programme on - it was good to see Velvet Sky is still as hot as ever! The last hour of the show though was a mixed bag for me. EY is still playing the comedy role and now sporting a giant beard you, to quote from BlackAdder, could lose a badger in! The Samoa Joe/RVD match was entertaining enough, nothing out of the ordinary from these two; I thought Joe's punches looked a bit more fake than usual or that maybe could be because I've watched a lot of MMA just recently. His suicide dive though is always impressive! A nice finish albeit very telegraphed.

I was a bit disappointed with Mr Anderson - so he's just become new TNA champ yet his conditioning looked very poor - he's got a definite gut on him, it's worse than Edge's!!! The final 'match' of the night was quite strange - a carpark brawl between Angle & Jerrett. Firstly I thought the simulated violence was very realistic, so kudos for bringing more realism into the product; but then it started to get silly with Jerrett delivering the stroke onto a car bonet and then Angle olympic slamming Jerrett onto a car. However, I'm not sure it was the right match to finish the show on. It left a strange sort of vibe if I'm honest, almost thug like in its grittiness. Do I think pro wrestling should be PG? Definitely not; but neither is pro wrestling car park brawling like some warring gangs. MMA may be a real combat sport but its still a sport and UFC, for all the violence, would never want their sport connected to street fighting with all the horrible connotations that brings. It is organised and the fighters safety is paramount at all times - hence the referee and the doctors at cage side. I think TNA have tried a brave thing but ultimately one that has backfired because I think pro wrestling should be about the sport not the violence.

Judging from that one episode alone though it wasn't a train wreck by any stretch of the imagination; however I do think TNA need to be careful with what message they are sending out. Also what is up with the name - is the company now Impact Wrestling or that just the new name for the Impact zone because the end credits had 'a TNA product'?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Impact Wrestling aka TNA Empty Re: Impact Wrestling aka TNA

Post by psycho-gooner Sun 26 Jun 2011, 12:43 pm

glad to see a thread that isnt completely bashing TNA on everything they do. Next week's episode is pretty enjoyable too OK

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 26 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

I think, although I may be wrong, that the show is called Impact Wrestling and the company TNA, in the same way the show is called Raw or Smackdown, but the company WWE.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:25 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I think, although I may be wrong, that the show is called Impact Wrestling and the company TNA, in the same way the show is called Raw or Smackdown, but the company WWE.

Your spot on , TNA wanted a defining name for their show and IMPACT is it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

Pretty much the only reason they renamed it from iMPACT to Impact Wrestling was to take a cheap shot at WWE taking wrestling out of their name anyway.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

yep wrestling matters !
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Pretty much the only reason they renamed it from iMPACT to Impact Wrestling was to take a cheap shot at WWE taking wrestling out of their name anyway.

Yeah that sounds like something TNA would do! Has it made any difference ratings wise? I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

My overall impression from the show was that they were trying too hard to be anti-PG - the streetbrawl, the overthetop use of cussing in the backstage interviews etc For me the alternative lies in making something more believable while at the same time not trying to be controversial or offensive. Yes allow more creative freedom in promos from the wrestlers, yes have more intense wrestling matches; but that doesn't necessarily mean make the product gritty like an episode of Taggart LOL.

As I said before the show has been given a good new look - the blue flames, the titentron, the blue ropes all in all give the show a nice, professional feel. However, I think TNA need to limit Hogan and Bishoff's on screen involvement. For me both these two men are hasbeens, the bring nothing new or exciting to wrestling and if TNA think they are going to get more mainstream recognition through their association I think they're mistaken. Hogan is a C-list celebrity at best with his Hogan Knows Best reality TV series and Bishoff isn't really known at all outside of the wrestling community - who all know the mistakes he made with WCW. Someone like Paul Heyman would definitely have been the right sort of guy to bring in, much like ROH have Cornett; however for some reason Dixie refuses to let Russo go!?

I very much doubt TNA will ever be as big as WCW once was, but if they can sort out their booking problems they would be a much stronger competitor to the WWE and all round pro wrestling promotion. They have a good look, they have a talented roster and they also have enough history now to fall back on, learn from and grow from too. I think TNA should make more of their longevity but try to learn from some of their mistakes too.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:01 am

talkingpoint wrote: Someone like Paul Heyman would definitely have been the right sort of guy to bring in, much like ROH have Cornett; however for some reason Dixie refuses to let Russo go!?
Strange you mention that as Jim Cornette used to be part of TNA but left because he couldn't get behind the creative team of Russo and Ferrera.

I agree with shortening the air time Bischoff and Hogan get, but the main thing TNA need to improve is the booking of their wrestlers.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down