The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

+9
Corporalhumblebucket
JDizzle
Biltong
Liam_Main
hodge
Raymond
Fists of Fury
ECricket
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? Empty Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm

Hi all, following on from a conversation amongst the Mods earlier I figured I'd give people a chance to brag (or seek sympathy) for their club cricket exploits at the weekend. Just to kick things off, Sainty made a very respectable 93 yesterday, running a lot of singles in the heat due to long boundaries. And Fernando picked up 3 stumpings keeping to spinners.

On the flip side, I played my 1st game in 5 years, and my 1st game North of the Equator yesterday. We played at Broadhalfpenny Down in Hampshire yesterday, which was the home ground of Hambledon club in the 1700s when they first wrote down the Laws of Cricket - not bad if you're a history buff! Unfortunately a combination of uncovered pitch and torrential Friday night rain made for a pitch which was very slow (it was hard getting the mud off the ball, let alone a shine on it) and uneven bounce (lots of balls were going past the stumps at shin-height. Luckily we lost the toss and bowled first. The pitch plus some good bowling meant we bowled the locals out for 58. I got put in at #3, so after our openers had gotten us halfway home I went in and poked and prodded a rather pathetic 1 (and that was an overthrow) off 28 balls, while the surviving opener got us most of the way home. He got out with 4 runs to win, and we proceeded to lose another 4 wickets for 2 runs, including me being finally put out of my misery when one popped off a length, hit the sholuder of the bat and was caught 1 handed by slip who'd had to dive forward to the popping crease to get it. Having said that, it was a fantastic day and I can't wait to get back out on the field again.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? Empty Re: Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

Post by ECricket Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:53 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Hi all, following on from a conversation amongst the Mods earlier I figured I'd give people a chance to brag (or seek sympathy) for their club cricket exploits at the weekend. Just to kick things off, Sainty made a very respectable 93 yesterday, running a lot of singles in the heat due to long boundaries. And Fernando picked up 3 stumpings keeping to spinners.

This got me cracking , Sainty in heat Very Happy

ECricket

Back to top Go down

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? Empty Re: Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:10 am

won again saturday, won 6 from 7, i led my side to victory Smile

we were chasing 95, the other team chose to bat first on a soaking wet pitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:10 am

A Hussain-esque decision!

I've not made an appearance yet this year, various injuries have kept me out, though to be honest I only play in the 20 over league anyway!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

I got a 4 ball duck and bowled rubbish Smile

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

chasing 122, i opened and hit 33 off 47 balls including two 6's thanks to very short boundaries straight and at cow. I was playing at a ground where standing at mid off i was standing under a tree where the rule was if you hit it play on but you can't be caught out.

Tomorrow I think i'm playing in a staff vs 6th form game at my old school where i'm doing my uni placement so a chance to take on the 1st team after being in the side last year. Then on sunday after another league game saturday I am playing for the old boys (old students of the school) Vs School 1st XI again, so I have a fun week ahead Very Happy

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 01 Jul 2011, 10:50 pm

I started training again last night,returning to the side next week. Glad to have returned to playing Cricket Very Happy
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:39 pm

led my team to victory again on saturday and sunday Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:18 am

I got a golden duck. Not my best day...

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:08 am

saturday the other team put us in to bat in on a nice warm today on a bit of a road, we racked up 268/4 off 45 overs. I hit 90 off 88 balls Smile 3 big 6's into the houses next to our pitch causing the neighbours to come around an complain Rolling Eyes Our opening stand was 186 off 31 odd overs.

I'm now the 5th highest run scorer in the division Very Happy

Think we may be on the same strip this weekend as well Very Happy

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

Nice one Hodge, I'm 8th I think, due to my indifferent form early doors.

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

still pretty good there, i had a few games in the firsts at the start of the season which meant i missed a couple of a games

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:00 am

I never played cricket as a child, my first exposure to cricket was at age 24. A social league.

I told the captain I bowl slow left arm spin (in fact later found I was a pretty decent spinner.) In the league we played 40 over matches and 8 guys had to bowl 5 overs each. My average figures was around 2 for 15 per match, quite impressive.

My first ball I ever bowled was a front foot no-ball, I didn't even know what a no-ball was until then.

My batting average was pathetic, I ended the season on a batting average of 2.5, thanks to a game against Krugersdorp where we bowled the opposition out for a low total and the captain gave me an opportunity to bat at 5, I hit an on drive for 4, pulled one for 4 over square leg, and got two more sngles. To date still my highest score 10 not out.

Anyway I digress.

My son loves cricket, so I registered him at Alberton cricket club, he plays under sevens. He has quite a talent for the bat, but no technique yet. Everything is pulled between mid wicket and fine leg.

He definitely doesn't have my bowling ability, but then most of these youngster struggle with that in their first season.

He got twenty runs last saturday and was very, very proud.

So hopefully he enjoys it enough to keep going at it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

what guard do people ask for, when they bat i ask for middle how about eveeryone else??

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:30 am

Middle and leg, for me mate.

Helps open up my stance for those brutal slogs toward cow corner Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:30 am

As you can probably guess, I am a bit of a crude batsman more suited to number 8 or 9.

I bowl seam and that is certainly my strongest suit.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:17 am

I ask for leg stump, feel it gives me more room to move, plus my leg stump awareness was always pretty lax so always make sure I'm guarding it.

Didn't play yesterday as was suffering from a bit of soreness in my knee, and being an all rounder, I wouldn't be able to contribute effectively!

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

i ask for middle, just standard really its what i got taught to when younger, didnt do great this weekend, ran out on 15 called for a run nothing from my partner till im half way down when i hear a no, then turn back and the keeper loses then ball before he breaks the stumps but im given out as the umpire couldnt see him losing the ball

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

I ask for leg now, used to ask for middle or middle/leg but I kept getting out LBW so I have moved across and now look to blast through the off side or straight rather then cow! Similar to you FoF, 8/9 is my best position although I got 20* whilst the team collapsed around me on Saturday. I was dropped twice mind...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:49 pm

i never get given LBW because i hit the ball Wink

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

Ooft, that hurts hodge! I didn't mention that I obviously only get out LBW after I have completed my 150... Cool

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

haha, seriously though, dont think ive been given LBW for 2 seasons or so, just because of the amount i get bat on ball.

mainly bowled or caught tbh, recently i get caught by going for a shot and just not committing to it and only half heartedly hitting it.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:03 pm

It is an issue I had cause I got my head so far across I kept thinking more balls were going down leg than actually were! Hopefully got it sorted now though. I have already eliminated most other forms of dismissal so now if I can stop being caught or bowled I will be Bradmanesque!

Ha! Hitting it half heartedly is not a problem for me, if I connect it goes. Connecting is the problem! I am thankful I can bowl aswell!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

in my team i'm supposed to play the anchor role hence the half hearted shots from time to time, i want to play the shot but then the thought of needing to stick around conflict.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

huge game tomorrow, go 20 points clear at the top tomorrow if we win Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 15 Jul 2011, 4:27 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:huge game tomorrow, go 20 points clear at the top tomorrow if we win Smile

My first match back tomorrow,can't wait!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

Just found out I will be opening the bowling and batting at 6,happy days!! Smile
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 6:08 pm

good luck

i have a black eye from being hit in the eye the other day whilst batting in the nets

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 15 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

Cheers Smile

Must have some feisty bowlers at your club
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 6:13 pm

yh i do mate, but never mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm

i have a top of the table clash, if we win we can go top, however weather isnt supposed to be great over night/morning so i'm worried they will call the game off partly so they stay 20 points clear.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:16 pm

mixed weekend

Yesterday a 2020 Vs a touring team i hit 31 and me and the other opener had a stand of 70 or so in just over 6 overs.

Today we were chasing 180, and because of the T20 yesterday i came out too aggresive and was out for 8 in the 4th over or so, outfield slowed right up for us so a few of my shots stopped under a metre from the boundary. Should be an easy game next week though.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:14 am

We won today! Needed to after losing our last two. I blasted a quckfire 40 odd and took a cheeky wicket so not a bad weekend for me. Pretty much secured our survival this year only just after the half way mark of the season which is what we wanted after getting promoted last year.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 24 Jul 2011, 2:39 am

were looking for promotion after being relegated last year, but losing today has left us 5th after being 2nd before yesterdays game. We're the Birmingham of our division. My average has now slipped below 30 though Crying or Very sad

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

i had to endure only my 2nd defeat as skipper, yesterday, losing by 1 wicket Sad

my captaincy record played 10 won 8 lost 2

but yesterday was gutting

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

my record as captain is won 3 lost 1 Very Happy

Hit 28 off 55 balls today on a wicket that was horrible for batting on, was still in after 24 overs as well, just adding to the difficulty in scoring on it, and it was nice and even for when they were batting.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:50 pm

One word describes today, my fellow cricketeers: Elation.

Pure, unfounded elation!

Made to bowl in a batsmans paradise. Absolute road of a pitch which had no bounce, no swing, no spin, no nothing. The bowlers (including myself) toiled for 40 overs as the opposition amassed a seemingly ungettable 245-4 off their allotted overs. I finished with figures of 1-48 off 5.

Then came our reply, poor shots from our top 4, saw me come to the crease with us floundering at 22-4. Myself and our keeper, went about rebuilding the innings and were still there in the last over, needing 12 off 6. The first 3 balls were yorkers and we scrambled a single bringing myself on strike, needing 11 off 3. First ball, I carved one through the outfield for 4, nerves were going big time! Second ball (the 5th of the over) came a difficult full toss which I put away for 2, 5 needed from the final ball to see us home to a remarkable win.

The final ball came in, and it was a ridiculous long hop right in the slot, which I safely dispatched out of the ground and onto the pavillion roof!

A personal best score of 137 not out and to be honest, I'm still buzzing now!

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

not bad....... Wink

i had near enough the opposite boxing first 8 overs it was either low or lower for the bounce i was getting haha

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm

Possibly the worst track I've ever bowled on. Just couldn't for the life of me get anything out of it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm

which is why i dont bowl Very Happy leave the hard work for other people laughing

although having said that today the wicket was turning a fair bit and i was the 2nd spinner in the team and didn't get a bowl, tad dissapointed but had a decent bat.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:07 pm

luckily as im captain, i managed to lead the way with the ball, taking wickets for fun, managing to set good example Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

Sainty wrote:One word describes today, my fellow cricketeers: Elation.

The final ball came in, and it was a ridiculous long hop right in the slot, which I safely dispatched out of the ground and onto the pavillion roof!

A personal best score of 137 not out and to be honest, I'm still buzzing now!

Why was Sainty not included in the Lions squads? clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

as captain lol i give myself the new ball as i swing it round corners and for the time being it seems to be working Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:50 pm

I'm unavailable corporal! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm

a few weeks ago hit my greatest ever score lol bearing in mind im a no 8 i hit 75 no

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

Sainty wrote:I'm unavailable corporal! Wink

I heard the ladies team phoned you Whistle

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:37 am

Danni Wyatt.... randy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:40 am

Sainty wrote:Danni Wyatt.... randy

danni wyatt randy randy randy randy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

Stickied this.

Good weekend for me following last weeks 137.

Won with me hitting out with a fast 42 to see us over the line. Got quite a healthy average now.

Took 3 wickets too, skittling the other side out for 200.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

What league are you playing in, Sainty?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next