The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

+9
Corporalhumblebucket
JDizzle
Biltong
Liam_Main
hodge
Raymond
Fists of Fury
ECricket
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? - Page 2 Empty Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all, following on from a conversation amongst the Mods earlier I figured I'd give people a chance to brag (or seek sympathy) for their club cricket exploits at the weekend. Just to kick things off, Sainty made a very respectable 93 yesterday, running a lot of singles in the heat due to long boundaries. And Fernando picked up 3 stumpings keeping to spinners.

On the flip side, I played my 1st game in 5 years, and my 1st game North of the Equator yesterday. We played at Broadhalfpenny Down in Hampshire yesterday, which was the home ground of Hambledon club in the 1700s when they first wrote down the Laws of Cricket - not bad if you're a history buff! Unfortunately a combination of uncovered pitch and torrential Friday night rain made for a pitch which was very slow (it was hard getting the mud off the ball, let alone a shine on it) and uneven bounce (lots of balls were going past the stumps at shin-height. Luckily we lost the toss and bowled first. The pitch plus some good bowling meant we bowled the locals out for 58. I got put in at #3, so after our openers had gotten us halfway home I went in and poked and prodded a rather pathetic 1 (and that was an overthrow) off 28 balls, while the surviving opener got us most of the way home. He got out with 4 runs to win, and we proceeded to lose another 4 wickets for 2 runs, including me being finally put out of my misery when one popped off a length, hit the sholuder of the bat and was caught 1 handed by slip who'd had to dive forward to the popping crease to get it. Having said that, it was a fantastic day and I can't wait to get back out on the field again.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? - Page 2 Empty Re: Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

Just a local pub league, mate.

It's a pretty easy level compared to what I've been used to, but I feel comfortable and play with some cracking lads!

Back to top Go down

Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? - Page 2 Empty Re: Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend?

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

That's what it's all about, mate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

I've played higher up and didn't enjoy it at all. Much prefer this level, even if I'm out of form!

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

we bowled the opposition out for 108 and we knocked it off 3 down after 17 overs or so, i hit 30 and got caught on the boundary trying to see the game home quickly.

Then on the sunday turned up at the meet place and the captain said he was too tired to be captain and would i do it laughing We lost after setting 200 where i again hit 30 and got caught by a diving catch at square leg off a rank full toss Doh

Local rivalry game this weekend and then club day on sunday Yahoo 6 or 7 a side tournament between people in the club, teams like: 1 first teamer, 1 second teamer, a sunday team player, ladies player, U15, girl U15 or something similar

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

I took 4 wickets on Monday in a T20 match. Shame I didn't continue that form with the bat had a flash at a wide delivery and edged it to the keeper for 11.

Another T20 match on Sunday against one of the other local sides.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm

Sainty wrote:Stickied this.

Good weekend for me following last weeks 137.

Won with me hitting out with a fast 42 to see us over the line. Got quite a healthy average now.

Took 3 wickets too, skittling the other side out for 200.

Bresnan, Broad, Sainty, Swann....quite a decent lower middle line up? Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

Still waiting for a phone call Corporal Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 07 Aug 2011, 6:33 pm

53 in the local derby game yesterday, was happy as i got to 50 without giving a chance, although its the first time ive been out LBW for 2 or 3 years

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:48 pm

Got my second five for of the season yesterday! Kept me clear as my sides top wicket taker, and helped us beat the team in second in our league! Good weekend.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

Quiet weekend for me, weren't feeling great sunday, but registered a pretty solid 24 and bowled 5 overs for 18 runs taking no wickets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

I don't play all that much anymore as I'm heavily involved in coaching (despite still being in my 20s) and a much better coach than player already.

Spent most of July travelling around Europe with the french senior and junior sides. Month ended with a 3rd place finish at the Euro champs in the Isle of Man, after a fantastic win against Italy (first time we've beaten them since 2007, first top 3 finish for a french U19 side ever). Bowled pretty well to restrict the Italians to 167 in their 50 overs, were 29/5, great partnership of 80 to leave us needing 59 in 14 overs with 4 wickets in hand, captain made quick-fire 30 from no8, out with scores level and our number 4 hit the first ball of the last over for 4 to seal it. Felt quite proud! All details online (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/DATABASE/2011/TOURNAMENTS/EUROU19B/index.shtml).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

not about playing but bought new gear today Very Happy

new albion helmet, bradbury pads and 2 shirts for £90, bradbury gear - bats is being sold at half price atm so helped myself to a £70 set of pads and then 2 shirts for £15 as well so happy with that

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Tonned up again yesterday!

Nothing else to say apart from a poor attack on a poor pitch punished.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

Fair play! The man is on fire!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

Are you actually James Taylor?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

had a mixed weekend:

saturday got triggerd, the opposition brought their own umpire who gave me out LBW of a left arm seamer bowling over, the ball pitched easily outside the line of leg stump yet as soon as they appealed up went the finger, this also happend to a mate of mine and we only finished 40 odd runs short, now they have overtaken us in the table into 2nd and could likely cost us promotion.

Sunday:

for the first time in 2/3 years barring playing in the 1sts i didn't open the batting, i batted at 4 came in after 22 overs or so with the score on about 100, just went in and attacked from the start hitting 55 and retired after 37 overs as we were only 2 down at that point. Think the 55 came off about 35/40 balls with 4 4's and 4 6's so 40 of my 55 came in boundaries Very Happy

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:58 pm

I don't play till tomorrow, against the top side in the league so added pressure on us.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm

Played for only the second time this season earlier today. Felt completely out of practice (which I am) but managed to score a couple of 4s thanks to long-hops, then tried to hit one through cover and hit it straight to the man. I made 17 from number 7, we finished on 158/8 (30 overs). They knocked them off quite comfortably (3 overs and 5 wickets to spare), but I did take a very fine low catch at mid-wicket off a SLA bowler. Batsman played a fraction early and I went away to my left and just got my fingers under it. A couple of poor misfields tho...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

Absolute road for us on Saturday. We racked up 270 with our openers putting on a record stand! They just blocked out for their overs though, which was a little disappointing as they didn't even look to win. I got a cheeky 70 off 45 balls on Sunday though! My highest ever score! I batted 3 as we were missing a few players, so hopefully I will stay up there as I normally bat 8 or 9.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

Made 160 today and we beat the top side in the league. Took 3 wickets also, not a bad day all round!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:25 pm

My first hundred in 6 months.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 17 Aug 2011, 12:46 am

you hit a hundred in february....? Erm

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 17 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

I should of worded that better, i've been back at my Club for around a month now. The first time I joined I hadn't hit a Century for 5 months. If that makes sense? :P
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

quality day captained my side to victory!

restricted them to 175, i took 2 wickets, then hit unbeaten 53 to guide team acrtoss the line Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

Awful for me, had a first net session in god knows how long as I look to get myself back playing - line and length all over the shop, it wasn't coming out of the hand well at all. More practice needed!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Sore shoulder resulted in a scratchy 40 not out on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

4 Wickets and 20 odd on Sunday still were defeated though. Went down to the last over!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

not well.........

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

in my first season as captain, i have missed out on promotion by 6 points :/

going into the last game of the season needed 20 points to go up, which means batting first.....not sure how it is in your leagues, but in my league, we get 20 points for batting first 18 batting second, plus bonus points, we needed to bat first, i lost the toss, and the other team chose to bat first, we won, but cos didnt bat first we didnt go up...... but we managed to relegate the team we played against..

but happy with my first season as skipper doing as well as we did Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:56 am

for my league its 35 points max for a win.

10 points for batting (1 per every 20 runs)
10 points for bowling (1 per wicket)
15 points for win

we missed out on promotion by 11 points, however i was pretty happy hitting 359 runs in the league being my sides highest run scorer, average of around 26

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

Sounds like the makings of a very respectable 606v2 team. Unfortunately I can't bring much the party owing to muscular development like this character .Headscratch - and complete absence of hand/eye co-ordination....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

Dunno about anyone else but my seasons finished, finished mid table. 28 wickets and 263 runs, been a good season for me personally.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Sounds like the makings of a very respectable 606v2 team. Unfortunately I can't bring much the party owing to muscular development like this character .Club cricket: how did everyone go at the weekend? - Page 2 3187153522 - and complete absence of hand/eye co-ordination....

Perhaps ''Owzat'' scores could be reported?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm

People's seasons are done? We still have three games left! Lost to the league leaders on Saturday so any slim hopes of promotion are now gone. Safe in 4th place though, which is a good season seen as we have just come up. Three games left and I have 35 wickets @ 16 and 240 runs @ 21. Has been something of a breakthrough season for me, especially with wickets! Disappointed with only one league fifty though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

Had a poor season with the bat, but my best season yet (IMO) with the gloves on, including one sharp stumping of a batsman on 120-odd standing up to one of our medium-pacers, and one very good catch off another of our medium-pacers (short ball, batsman popped it up into the leg-side and I ran around, dived full length and got my right glove underneath it), both of which I was pretty pleased with.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:51 pm

To any of the bowlers on here, what's your fastest delivery?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:12 am

130 kph

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:45 am

Not a clue, surely most of us will never have been clocked? I'd guess around 70mph, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

Never been clocked, but I rely on swing and seam movement rather than pace. I would probably guess about 65 mph at fastest? Hoping to improve that over the winter though with some gym work and ally that with my away swing which should improve my bowling some more!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

I can bowl a maximum of 130 kph(an effort ball) but the average speed is 120 kph.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

when i bowl and thats rare mind, it must be about 2mph laughing i bowl spin and bowl to tempt the batter into taking me on/making mistakes rather than pushing the ball through with pace

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 08 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:I can bowl a maximum of 130 kph(an effort ball) but the average speed is 120 kph.

Sorry guys.That comment was a joke.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm

hodge wrote:when i bowl and thats rare mind, it must be about 2mph laughing i bowl spin and bowl to tempt the batter into taking me on/making mistakes rather than pushing the ball through with pace

We tried this on Sunday when the in batsmen was 40* off 4 overs! We just kept bowling higher, and higher and giving it more loop the only trouble was he kept mis hitting sixes to a 30 metre leg side boundary! Very frustrating. We did get him. On 132. Oh dear.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

JDizzle wrote:
hodge wrote:when i bowl and thats rare mind, it must be about 2mph laughing i bowl spin and bowl to tempt the batter into taking me on/making mistakes rather than pushing the ball through with pace

We tried this on Sunday when the in batsmen was 40* off 4 overs! We just kept bowling higher, and higher and giving it more loop the only trouble was he kept mis hitting sixes to a 30 metre leg side boundary! Very frustrating. We did get him. On 132. Oh dear.

I only really bowled for my school last year (went to a different school for 1 year) where i hadnt bowled for my club in 3 years. We played 35 over games/timed games, I would usually bowl in the middle overs - 10 overs left when they are trying to get going, we had a pretty big pitch so could get away with floating it a bit, only ended up getting 8 wickets in the season (2 away from being in wisden) but i only bowled for half the season, a best which is now still a personal best of 4/51 off 11.3 overs against the XL club in a timed game.

Difference batting wise for school was I would bat at 8 and look to hit quick runs at the end

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 08 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

i'll have to look for a local club near uni for the next season as my uni year doesnt end till later this year.

just need someone with knowledge of south east wales laughing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

i have been clocked on a speed gun at 75mph

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

Me, 79 That was at full effort though, normally hover around the 70 mark.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

hodge wrote:i'll have to look for a local club near uni for the next season as my uni year doesnt end till later this year.

Have fun playing in Wales! I played in the North Wales leagues for a few seasons and the amount of aggro, sledging and cheating is just ridiculous! It isn't even fun to play in, some teams are just full of knobs. So I play in Shropshire now, which has nicer pitches and nicer teams... And they wonder why cricket isn't as big in Wales. Can't say my knowledge on South Wales cricket is extensive though, might be a lot better down there. I go to Uni in a few weeks and am a bit worried about getting into any teams as the Uni I am going to is very, very good!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

JDizzle wrote:
hodge wrote:i'll have to look for a local club near uni for the next season as my uni year doesnt end till later this year.

Have fun playing in Wales! I played in the North Wales leagues for a few seasons and the amount of aggro, sledging and cheating is just ridiculous! It isn't even fun to play in, some teams are just full of knobs. So I play in Shropshire now, which has nicer pitches and nicer teams... And they wonder why cricket isn't as big in Wales. Can't say my knowledge on South Wales cricket is extensive though, might be a lot better down there. I go to Uni in a few weeks and am a bit worried about getting into any teams as the Uni I am going to is very, very good!

where you off to mate?

Think it would probably be Newport if i joined a team as they have 4 league teams so figure i can get in one of them.

On another note I won 2nd team player of the season today for my team Very Happy

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

Durham, no doubt I will get some quality nets in up there with the ball whizzing past my nose from some Durham Academy players. Haha, sounds like a plan! And clap

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2