The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Weald Open alternate

+12
sharrison01
Humpyd
George1507
The Dazzler
SmithersJones
Davie
drive4show
MustPuttBetter
baboo800
Noshankingtonite
oldshanker
LondonJonnyO
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

North Weald Open Alternative budget

North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Empty North Weald Open alternate

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok... So the 36 holer at North Weald has now been cancelled (which is a bit of a pain but such is life).

There have been suggestions that perhaps we should get together around the northern M25 area for a game anyway as most of us have already taken the day off and for those travelling accomodation will already have been booked.

So. First up a budget. For those of you coming along select the most appropriate budget for the day. We'll work to the majority I think. In addition drop a comment on the thread to let us know who is intending to be around. Then once we have a rough idea of people and the amount being spent we can look at appropriate tracks.

I've allowed 7 days for voting as we only have three weeks to get this arranged. So lets do this rapidly guys. Also... The funds I am suggesting is for 18 holes rather than a day.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

North Weald Open alternate - Page 3 Empty Re: North Weald Open alternate

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm

As long as there are even numbers and at least 8 of us - should work.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:37 pm

Don't think there will be 8 of us. Looking like 6, maybe 7 if LJ's uncle joins us.

Still should be fun though, as always, I'm looking forward to it.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:57 pm

Always good to meet up with a fellow Shanker Hug
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:29 pm

The get-together happened day. Myself, Noshanking, Oldshanker, SmithersJones, LJ and the Ringer met up for breakfast (well, 5 of us made it on time, I'm sure a satnav would have got the last man there on time Wink ) before teeing off at 11:30 in 2 threeballs. £5 in the kitty, everyone gets a drink out of it with the remainder going to the winner. A very impressive 40 points from SJ in the 2nd group took the spoils.

A really good day was had by all, stayed dry for 17.5 holes so no complaints. Really good course in very good condition, excellent greens with some very tricky breaks. I'm sure we will get another organised soon, would be great to get a few more people interested.

Thanks everyone for a really enjoyable day and well played SJ, the Rory of 606, who demolished the field thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

drive4show wrote:The get-together happened day. Myself, Noshanking, Oldshanker, SmithersJones, LJ and the Ringer met up for breakfast (well, 5 of us made it on time, I'm sure a satnav would have got the last man there on time Wink ) before teeing off at 11:30 in 2 threeballs. £5 in the kitty, everyone gets a drink out of it with the remainder going to the winner. A very impressive 40 points from SJ in the 2nd group took the spoils.

A really good day was had by all, stayed dry for 17.5 holes so no complaints. Really good course in very good condition, excellent greens with some very tricky breaks. I'm sure we will get another organised soon, would be great to get a few more people interested.

Thanks everyone for a really enjoyable day and well played SJ, the Rory of 606, who demolished the field thumbsup

Cheers D4S, well played yourself with 36 points off a much lower handicap than me. (Perhaps unsurprisingly!) I really enjoyed the day, the course and the company - I hope this will be the first of many such meetings.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

Wish I'd been able to join you all - maybe next time Smile

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:57 pm

Nice to see you guys all had a good day, sorry I missed it Sad ....So how many of you are in for Broadway and have you had any confirmation back yet? Unlikely I know as entries dont close until tomorrow.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:59 pm

Also did anyone else (apart from D4S) get into the August challenge at Saunton?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:16 pm

Noshanking said today that he has entered, he asked me if you were planning to play. I'm not sure if I can make it, got a lot of expense in August so not sure about another weekend away.

Did you book a practice round for Saunton?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:08 pm

I can only agree with what has been already printed.

Old Fold Manor is a very nice traditional course, well laid out with greens that can 'bite yer bum' if you are not careful (pass the TCP please) steam

I had an up and down round, but faded very badly after surprising myself on the tenth, 22 points up to then, which ended up at 26!

Good to meet D4S - what was Ronnie Shades nickname? DBM down the bloody middle - and NST who suffered as much as me on the greens!

Also nice to meet up with the others again.

Nice one SJ - I missed the end of the story, did you actually get the 79?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

I'm glad it all went well.

I look forward to joining up for another get-together after August.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm

oldshanker wrote:I can only agree with what has been already printed.

Old Fold Manor is a very nice traditional course, well laid out with greens that can 'bite yer bum' if you are not careful (pass the TCP please) steam

I had an up and down round, but faded very badly after surprising myself on the tenth, 22 points up to then, which ended up at 26!

Good to meet D4S - what was Ronnie Shades nickname? DBM down the bloody middle - and NST who suffered as much as me on the greens!

Also nice to meet up with the others again.

Nice one SJ - I missed the end of the story, did you actually get the 79?

Thanks OS - and yes I did, worked out on my way up the last fairway that I needed a 4, so the second shot over the pond was a bit more pressured than it might otherwise have been, but I managed to stick it to 12 feet pin high.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:22 am

JAS wrote:Nice to see you guys all had a good day, sorry I missed it Sad ....So how many of you are in for Broadway and have you had any confirmation back yet? Unlikely I know as entries dont close until tomorrow.

OFM:
Great day - managed to get home in the end, us West Country boys have to do the hard yards to get to these meets/events Sad Good fun even though I hit about one decent shot all day. Great to meet Shanker, Ringer and SJ and to catch up with LJ and D4S.

Broadway:
JAS - I'm in for this one. Paid my cheque a couple of weeks ago, not had confirmation yet either.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

So for those of you who met up with LJ what is his current attitude to the site and whether he is likely to return? I am sure he must have read te support for him on here. Not to say I condone what he did but I think it must be possible for both sides to forgive and move on.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

He is still reading, Mac, but is, like a few of us, pretty disillusioned with the way it's been going lately. In particular, the slating of pros for no good reason, including his mate Simon Khan. That and all the stupid, WUM driven arguments mean he's not likely to return any time soon.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Quite funny that LJ has quit because of wumming, was it not he who spent a whole week writing articles designed to provoke me, with such topics as is links golf real golf or something. He should know that they were hotly debated topics that produced great discussion. I enjoyed them at any rate.

I don’t think we should be begging users to come back but we should try and encourage people like LJ and Rossa who have been good posters over the years to reconsider. Yes at the moment there are some questions about where the site is going bu how can sitting on the sidelines help to drive the site in the right direction? For this reason you would think it makes sense for them to get involved with improving the site. After all we all seem to enjoy the site and it would be a shame to loose what we have.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

Mac

Yes it was LJ that wrote those articles but they were very much just a bit of fun and actually quite thought provoking. I for one enjoyed them and I think they spawned a lot of good debate.

I can only echo SJ's comments above, I spoke to him yesterday to get his thoughts. He is a bit despondent and will be taking a break from the site but hopefully in the near future will be able to resolve his differences with the mods and start posting again.

He sends his love to all his fans Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

One of LJ's favourite subjects was having a pop at Monty (which is fair play in my book) and it certainly wasn't in a constructive way.
Id really like him to come back to the board and would love to have a round of golf with him one day but the reasons given here for him not posting are quite frankly hilarious. He's probably more guilty as charged than anyone in 606 history of doing the very things he's meant to be upset by.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

D4s - Yes I agree, as stated above I enjoyed those threads.

Diggers - My point exactly, he seems to have taken issue with the very issues he created.

I of course hope he comes back but I do wonder about his, and also the mods, petty behaviour over this. How bad can it be.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Diggers / Mac:
When you meet LJ (as I have done twice now in Bournemouth and at Old Fold Manor) his real-life personality is a thousand miles away from his 606 personna which can come across as a bit brash and confrontational. I played in the group ahead with D4S and Shanker, but the laughter just absolutely rang out from the group with LJ, SJ and the Ringer. We had a great game (although I was ruddy mediocre after having sat in traffic for 31/2 hours solid) but they were just having FUN all the way around and he was able to laugh at himself as well (a trait I have noticed many many single figure handicappers are most definitely NOT able to do).

I just think he's got better things to do with his time quite frankly than p!ss around on here getting embroiled in unendingly repetitive meaningless Ground Hog Day spats about issues which are (frankly) highly subjective.

Perhaps us southern boys ought to meet up with you northern lot and thrash it out on the golf course. That followed by a good session somewhere afterwards might help sort things out a bit and you never know, might just bring a bit more unity and understanding to this forum which would not (in my humble view) go amiss right now.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

I'm sure he is a top bloke but the fact is he acts as he acts on the forum. I doubt anyone is quite the same in reality as they are on here.
He bickered as much as anyone on here, so as said before it's just a tad rich to suddenly suggest he is now above it all.
But be great to see him back, but let's not paint him as something he wasn't , at least in the virtual world.
I'm actually living in Brighton(ish) but originally a northerner so not sure where that leaves me on terms of any impending meetings and thrashings out.
A meet up would be great, whatever is said on here everyones a grown up and am sure would get on just fine in the real world.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm

Diggers, yep you'd be in Team South for sure. I absolutely love 4BBB at the moment, the team stuff definitely encourages me to concentrate more and try harder than when I'm playing for myself. Would be great to organise something over a couple of days on a neutral course North East/West and have 12 players in each team. What a laugh that would be. Just what this forum needs imho.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

Hawkstone Park is a great venue for a North/South get together. Two days with reasonable overnight accomodation for a decent price. I've had North/South meetups there a few times

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

Sounds a possibility Davie. Looks like Merc is trying to get another Southern meet going, but an all-encompassing 606 meet which isn't going to break the bank would be well worth tabling. Sometimes if you go for late Autumn you get better deals on the golf and accommodation too Wink
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3