The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England World Cup Squad Selection

5 posters

Go down

England World Cup Squad Selection Empty England World Cup Squad Selection

Post by robshaw4england Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

With the 45 man England squad soon to be reduced to a final 30, I am interested to see what you think the England 30 man squad for the World Cup would should be. I'll get the ball rolling and select mine.... with the players in brackets first reserve in case of injury.

PROPS (x4)

Andrew Sheridan, Alex Corbisiero, Matt Stevens and Dan Cole (Paul Doran-Jones)

HOOKERS (x2)

Dylan Hartley, Steve Thompson (Lee Mears)

LOCKS (x4)

Courtney Lawes, Tom Palmer, Louis Deacon, Mouritz Botha (Simon Shaw)

BACK ROW (x6)

Chris Robshaw, Tom Croft, Tom Wood, Nick Easter, Lewis Moody, James Haskell. (Thomas Waldrom)

SCRUM HALVES (x3)

Danny Care, Joe Simpson, Ben Youngs. (Richard Wigglesworth)

FLY HALVES (x2)

Toby Flood, Jonny Wilkinson. (Charlie Hodgson)

CENTRES (x4)

Shontayne Hape, Matt Banahan, Mike Tindall, Many Tuilagi (Riki Flutey)

BACK THREE (x5)

Ben Foden, Delon Armitage, Chris Ashton, Mark Cueto, Charlie Sharples. (David Strettle)

My most notable inclusions include Matt Stevens who has made a remarkable comeback after his two year drug ban. He has been very impressive for Saracens and the England Saxons and definitely merits a place in the squad.

Another choice is Mouritz Botha ahead of Simon Shaw, Shaw may be an England legend, however he looked very much off the pace when coming off the bench in recent internationals and is not the same force of old. Botha provides energy, grunt, powerful ball carrying and big hits, whilst with Attwood injured would be a great choice for the World Cup.

Then you've got Chris Robshaw, for me this man is outstanding. The captain of Quins moved from blindside to openside this season and has led Quins by example. He is a tackle machine, who is the best link-man openside in the premiership and his ball carrying ability is equally impressive. He is the sort of player England really need in their backrow and he offers balance to a starting back row which would include himself, Croft and Easter. How he only has one cap is beyond me and it's about time he got some more international recognition.

In the centres I'd have Hape and Banahan to fight it out for inside centre position as that is clearly the style England have been going with this season, an inside centre who runs hard lines and sucks defenders in, whilst is very solid in defence. Tindall is one of the leaders of the team and is sure to be on the plane to NZ, whilst Tuilagi could be England's secret weapon, he really is something special. Unlucky for Flutey who has had a poor season anyway.

The final surprise choice would be Charlie Sharples ahead of David Strettle, Ugo Monye and James Simpson-Daniel. Sharples isn't just a player for the future, he is a player who could potentially push Cueto for a starting spot. Sharples is very solid in defence and has a strong kicking game, he's very very quick and has is a strong finisher, although he is very young he looks very level headed and I believe he could be a gem.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

England World Cup Squad Selection Empty Re: England World Cup Squad Selection

Post by robbo277 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm

You asking for trouble with two hookers and two fly-halves (with no centre that can cover 10), if one of them receives a minor knock we won't have sufficient cover.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:15 pm

I agree with robbo277, no team is going to go with 2 hookers or 2 fly halves when both will be needed in the match day 22, it leaves no room for injuries.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

It would be very unusual for them not to take 3 hookers, and the only way they would not take 3 FHs is if one of the centres (or another back) could play FH. Similarily, and as a consequence of the other numbers, they would not take 4 locks and 6 backrows, much more likely 4 locks & 5 backrows, or 3 & 6 with a backrow a very capable at lock.

I would expect the general composition to be more like:

4 Props
3 Hookers
4 Locks
5 Backrows
3 SHs
3 FHs
3 Centres
5 Back 3 (one of which must be capable at centre)

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 03 Jul 2011, 11:47 pm

In the centres I'd have Hape and Banahan to fight it out for inside centre position as that is clearly the style England have been going with this season, an inside centre who runs hard lines and sucks defenders in, whilst is very solid in defence.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think England would love a kicking option at 12, which is why they are investing so much time in Twelvetrees as Saxons level, it's just they can't find one with the relevant experience and form. If England had had a proper second receiver option in Dublin the game would have had a very different shape and if Flutey shows any form in the training camp they'll take him.

I don't know if Sharples will make the party (MJ almost certainly thinks he's got enough young players in the squad and wants experience for the WC), but I think he's going to have a long England career after the WC.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down