The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darren Sammy ...

+10
Mike Selig
England Cricket Fan
Shelsey93
Gregers
Liam_Main
msp83
Masked Magician
JDizzle
Stellar Key
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
14 posters

Go down

Darren Sammy ... Empty Darren Sammy ...

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:16 am

....averages under 30 in test cricket with the ball? How the hell did that happen?

His T20 stats are oustanding, avergae of 13 with an economy rate just over 6.

How?

Is he secretly a good player?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Darren Sammy ... Empty Re: Darren Sammy ...

Post by Stellar Key Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:27 am

I've seen him bowl a couple of times in tests , the one notable was at Manchester 4 years ago when he took a very good 7 for . It looked like Sammy had arrived but I've not heard anything much about him since.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:24 am

I think in T20, his bowling especially, is incredibly underrated. He does a similar job to what Dimi Mascarenhas does at Hampshire what with bowling 80mph and taking the new ball and keeping in tight.

But in test matches he is only really penetrating enough, especially on unhelpful pitches, to be a fifth bowler but his batting at the moment is not good enough for the number 7 position but he needs to play as captain... A conumdrum.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:10 am

Sammy is one of the most ordinary players to ever play for the West Indies.

His bowling average is below 30, but he has some cheap wickets vs Bangladesh.

More worrying is his batting is dreadful

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 am

What about his captaincy Masked? Are there any other candidates who could lead the Windies well, or is Sammy's captaincy enough to conpemsate for his average stats?

Also, I watched Fire In Babylon for the first time today and I am truly terrified now! I think I am going to have nightmares about the fearsome foursome...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:50 pm

A pretty honest player, with limited ability. can at times bowl some pretty good balls, and can be useful in swinging conditions. not good enough to be in the team either as a bowler or as a batter though, keeps out great potentials such as Kemar Roach from the side. Haven't seen anything great in his captaincy as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Sammys a good player nothing more,conditions have to be in his advantage to take wickets. He's a much better one-day player than test player.

Meanwhile his batting,i'm not even sure he's good enough to bat 8 never mind 7!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:38 am

i think some of the criticims if harsh if you look at his record, he has played something like 17 tests, got something like 35 wickets at 28 a piece that is a good record

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:51 am

JDizzle wrote:What about his captaincy Masked? Are there any other candidates who could lead the Windies well, or is Sammy's captaincy enough to conpemsate for his average stats?

Also, I watched Fire In Babylon for the first time today and I am truly terrified now! I think I am going to have nightmares about the fearsome foursome...
His captaincy has really united the dressing room.

Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul couldn't inspire their team-mates, Sammy somehow can

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:53 am

Surprised Dwayne Bravo hasnt been your captain yet... Well done to Sammy tho, a small speck of light and hope amongst the rubbish of the WIndies side at the moment.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:54 am

Gregers wrote:Surprised Dwayne Bravo hasnt been your captain yet... Well done to Sammy tho, a small speck of light and hope amongst the rubbish of the WIndies side at the moment.

Dwayne Bravo doesn't play Tests due to a knee problem

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 am

Such a pity for him, he really looked amazing a few years back

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 am

Bump for this on the grounds he doing a bonzer job so far against the Aussies.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 am

He is an underrated player - in many ways quite similar to Tim Bresnan (perhaps a bit slower and with less technique as a batsman).

His captaincy has been a key component in this current WIndies revival (whisper it) - he has been able to unite/inspire his troops in a much better way than the previous captains like Gayle and Sarwan were. Maybe the players enjoy being led by somebody who is more normal than naturally-talented and super-rich superstars.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by England Cricket Fan Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Thought the delaying tactics were a bit of a disgrace.

England Cricket Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:19 pm

England Cricket Fan wrote:Thought the delaying tactics were a bit of a disgrace.

I thought they were to be expected. Realistically if the West Indies had given Australia 55 overs to chase down the runs it would have been easy, there best hope even for a win was to force Australia to be aggressive. I didn't particularly like the tactics but every captain in international cricket would have done the same.

Where I differ from Sammy was his field settings. To have no close catchers when the ball was turning a bit was his biggest folly. That, and Deonarine putting one in the slot just when everyone knew Hussey would be looking for the big hit, were the main problems.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by England Cricket Fan Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
England Cricket Fan wrote:Thought the delaying tactics were a bit of a disgrace.

I thought they were to be expected. Realistically if the West Indies had given Australia 55 overs to chase down the runs it would have been easy, there best hope even for a win was to force Australia to be aggressive. I didn't particularly like the tactics but every captain in international cricket would have done the same.

Where I differ from Sammy was his field settings. To have no close catchers when the ball was turning a bit was his biggest folly. That, and Deonarine putting one in the slot just when everyone knew Hussey would be looking for the big hit, were the main problems.
And keeping the part time spinner on under fading light was mystifying. I remember Moin Khan against England at Karachi in 2000. As soon as the light started fading he brought on his quickest bowler Waqar. It didnt work but WI really should have tried the slingy Fidel Edwards yesterday. Would have been tough to face him in fading light.

England Cricket Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by braveneutral Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Ah Moin Khan story ey, funny, I heard that last night too...

braveneutral

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am

braveneutral wrote:Ah Moin Khan story ey, funny, I heard that last night too...

Laugh

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Aidan11 Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 pm

England Cricket Fan wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:

And keeping the part time spinner on under fading light was mystifying. I remember Moin Khan against England at Karachi in 2000. As soon as the light started fading he brought on his quickest bowler Waqar. It didnt work but WI really should have tried the slingy Fidel Edwards yesterday. Would have been tough to face him in fading light.

Do you remember what happened to Mike Atherton's nose after that test?

Aidan11

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
England Cricket Fan wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:

Do you remember what happened to Mike Atherton's nose after that test?
No,I dont.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down