The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC?

+4
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
thebandwagonsociety
Portnoy
8 posters

Go down

Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC? Empty Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC?

Post by Portnoy Mon 11 Jul - 11:32

Ryan Giggs and George Best represent a host of good footy players who never had the chance to display their skills at the WC.

And that is such a shame.

I suggest that a best of the Rest of the World team be cobbled up as an International Barbarians from the countries that failed to qualify.

And I suggest Bob Dwyer and Geech to manage them.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC? Empty Re: Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC?

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Jul - 11:35

If you exclude players from countries already in the RWC, what players remain from other countries? I'm struggling to think of many (any)

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC? Empty Re: Ryan Giggs, George Best and a wildcard team in the RWC?

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 11 Jul - 11:37

If I am correct Jiffy never played in a WC so there's your No10
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 11 Jul - 11:39

Gavin Henson? - never played in World Cup
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 11 Jul - 11:41

bedfordwelsh wrote:If I am correct Jiffy never played in a WC so there's your No10

Didn't he play in '87? I know he toured NZ in '88 - he shone in a team decimated by RL and other defections
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 11 Jul - 11:41

To be honest, if I were looking at a Rest of the World Barbarians, I would probably look at cast-offs from Tier 1 nations who didn't quite make the World Cup squad, rather than the best of Uruguay, Kazakhstan and Tunisia.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 11 Jul - 11:46

Also we could just give a pre 1987 team too.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jul - 11:49

Not quite what was asked for, but you could do a Lions 22 made up of players who potentially won't make the WC:

1. Horan
2. Paice
3. Wilson
4. Attwood
5. Gough
6. Robshaw
7. Fourie
8. Powell
9. Blair
10.Humphreys
11.Brew
12.Barritt
13.Cairns
14.Fitzgerald
15.Brown

16.D Jones 17.Thomson 18.Botha 19.Healy 20.Dickson 21.Goode 22.Sharples

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 11 Jul - 11:50

I assume what Portnoy is talking about is, instead of having the Intercontinental Play-off (that Romania won) for a World Cup spot would be that the 20th spot would be given to the Barbarians, and we would pick the best players who otherwise wouldn't make it to the World Cup (so if there was a class player from Uruguay or Spain he would get to the World Cup).

However, in rugby there aren't that many (if any) top players from the nations that haven't qualified for the World Cup. The best players not to make it to this World Cup will be those that weren't deemed good enough by a country that qualified, not those whose country didn't qualify.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jul - 11:55

Agree with Robbo, the likes of Brits, Mujati, Collins, Evans etc. will be the top players not to make the WC.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 11 Jul - 12:00

Nacewa (???)
Paul Warwick

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jul - 12:04

You could add Regan King and Tim Visser to that list as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 11 Jul - 12:07

robbo277 wrote:I assume what Portnoy is talking about is, instead of having the Intercontinental Play-off (that Romania won) for a World Cup spot would be that the 20th spot would be given to the Barbarians, and we would pick the best players who otherwise wouldn't make it to the World Cup (so if there was a class player from Uruguay or Spain he would get to the World Cup).

However, in rugby there aren't that many (if any) top players from the nations that haven't qualified for the World Cup. The best players not to make it to this World Cup will be those that weren't deemed good enough by a country that qualified, not those whose country didn't qualify.

Just to clarify my argument, players missing out on national selection would be excluded from the International Barbarians.

But Robbo's right in by suggesting that the last qualifier place be replaced by a best of the rest side.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 11 Jul - 12:12

Ok so shall we build ourselves a starting 15 so?

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 11 Jul - 12:28

So we are picking a squad from a combination of Romania (who would make way for this team), Spain, Portugal, Germany, Uruguay, Brazil, Tunisia, Zimbabwe etc?

What about a player like Tim Visser who wants to go on to represent Scotland, but right now only qualifies for The Netherlands, who haven't qualified?

I wouldn't be able to help with a starting 15 from those countries listed above, if we're banning all players from qualified nations.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 11 Jul - 13:38

kiwi,

Yeah my mistake he did go to NZ in 87.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down