The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

most exciting major so far this year

+14
ryan86
Davie
drive4show
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
MustPuttBetter
super_realist
hogie
NedB-H
WillyGilly
Diggers
sharrison01
Rossa
JPX
barragan
18 posters

Go down

most exciting major so far this year

most exciting major so far this year Vote_lcap69%most exciting major so far this year Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 25 ]
most exciting major so far this year Vote_lcap6%most exciting major so far this year Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
most exciting major so far this year Vote_lcap25%most exciting major so far this year Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 36

most exciting major so far this year Empty most exciting major so far this year

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

...go

barragan

Back to top Go down

most exciting major so far this year Empty Re: most exciting major so far this year

Post by JPX Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

Easy.........The Masters

So many in it right until the death and a great finish from Schwartzel.

JPX

Back to top Go down

most exciting major so far this year Empty Re: most exciting major so far this year

Post by Rossa Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

Masters hands down
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

We really have been very spoilt this year in terms of majors. The Master's was great for the close finish, the US saw a very dominant performance and The Open provided us with the people's champion as the winner.

Went for the US though - am hoping that it will be iconic as the first major in a long list for Rory, just like Tiger in '97 at The Masters.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Masters easily, other two havent really hooked me at all, cant say I enjoyed last week much and I think it confirms the Open for me as least favourite major to watch.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

its odd. i was really excited 'for' darren, but yesterday's back nine was dull dull dull. it would have been terrific if phil or dustin had come close [or dare i say it... sneaked it].

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

Sharrison, i agree we've seen something special in each one Smile
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

Masters for me. Rory flunking it and opening the door for so many to come firing through. Tiger, Lukey, Ogilvy, Scott, Day, Charl were playing exhibition golf at times, it was breathtaking. Luke's chip in at the last genuiely had me on my feet.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

Wow, Diggers that is a statement. I know what you mean though - it's not that fun to watch the world's best donning waterproofs and mittens and just getting round the course. Prefer it to the PGA as I don't think that should be a major but I understand where you're coming from.

The Masters also had that 2nd round (I think) with Fowler, Rory and Day just attacking every pin. It was great to see the fearlessness of these young players at a course that scares many...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

sharrison01 wrote:We really have been very spoilt this year in terms of majors. The Master's was great for the close finish, the US saw a very dominant performance and The Open provided us with the people's champion as the winner.

Went for the US though - am hoping that it will be iconic as the first major in a long list for Rory, just like Tiger in '97 at The Masters.
normal sort of year really! last year -
Masters = Mickelson, peoples champion.
US = McDowell, close finish
Open = Oosthuizen, dominant performance

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

Excitement masters... which one will I remember in 10 years time probably US open.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

If all Majors had the blanket free to air coverage that The Open has I think The Masters would be my favourite, minus the irritating ad breaks that American directors are forced to have however.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

NedB-H wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:We really have been very spoilt this year in terms of majors. The Master's was great for the close finish, the US saw a very dominant performance and The Open provided us with the people's champion as the winner.

normal sort of year really! last year -
Masters = Mickelson, peoples champion.
US = McDowell, close finish
Open = Oosthuizen, dominant performance

We are being spoilt at the moment - easy to forget the Hamilton's and Curtis' of the game with majors like these.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Couldn't agree more.

That said, i'm with Digs a little in that this year's Open wasn't as thrilling as some. It was interesting to see them deal with the weather though.

Most exciting has been the Masters for sure
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

I've never watched golf, but this weekend I did nothing but... and really enjoyed it.

Your sport gained a new fan, so it must have been a good tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

Good to have you on board ED!
Now you just need to pick up a club and you'll never be free!! thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

Cheers MPB,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I go about it?

I'd love to, but I have no friends who play. So what do I do? Are there like beginners courses where you can go and have some training/practice?

I literally know nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

If you're absolutely fresh to the game then, in my view, there's no better time to go and get yourself some lessons. Head down to your local club, half an hour a week will have you hitting it like Darren Clarke in no time.
In seriousness ,you won't yet have developed any of the bad habits i could show you in my swing so it's a great opportunity

You'll need to find a friend to play golf with though. Its a very social game
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

Cheers mate,

In that case I'm going to egg someone along to take it up with me.

In the meantime I'm definitely going to frequent this area of the board to swot up on this wonderful sport that has somehow evaded me all my life so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:58 pm

Good man

There are plenty of very knowledgeable posters and very good golfers on here so get stuck in OK
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

i did a lot of putting in our front garden [big yoghurt pot for a hole!] before taking up the game - maintained the 'green' and everything, out twice a week with the handmower. putting is a good place to start - as its the least complex swing / stroke in the game, and the one which makes the biggest difference if you can get right the better you become with everything else. a neighbour then gave me a wedge and i graduated to chipping and putting. after a summer of that my mum and dad realised that paying for a membership at the local club would be better than having divots all over their garden!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

ban_bam wrote:its odd. i was really excited 'for' darren, but yesterday's back nine was dull dull dull. it would have been terrific if phil or dustin had come close [or dare i say it... sneaked it].

bb

how can you say that? It only became 'dull' from the 15th onwards after Dustbin had gone OOB on the 14th. Up until that point he was right in the mix and Phil was still trying to make a charge.

I thought it was good anyway...... Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:54 pm

phils front nine scuffles were terriffic. fowler, bjorn etc were close enough at that point too. on the back nine, i think if dustin had birdied 14 then we'd have had a grandstand finish with the two of them up there. it was just a huge anti-climax if you take the romance of clarke winning out of the equation. can't criticise phil for his performance, he gave himself a chance from no-where then hit a wall. just a bit disappointed with dj i guess. he was in touch and looking steady up to the oob moment of ultimate pish-ness.

i'll agree with you that it was good - but it was also dull [!]

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm

drive, there's a few of you nipping up in a couple of months for the tassie [as seen on another thread] - is there going to be some sort of 606v2 north-south grudge match? i might be up for it if time and cost allows.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:22 pm

Electric Demon - what area of the country are you and how old are you?

I'd agree with the others when they say find a friendly club in the area and go into the pro-shop and ask about beginner's instruction. A few clubs will actually do a beginner's course for you and even supply loan equipment to make sure you are keen before you spend loads of money.

If you give us a clue of your approximate location, there is a good chance someone here will be able to recommend a starting point thumbsup

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:46 pm

I think it's been an interesting year so far, if not spectacular.

The Masters was probably the most entertaining, though Congressional saw something incredibly dominant and this had a feel good story about it.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

I would also suggest going to the driving range to hit a few 100 balls to get into, well, the swing of things.

Demon is North London/ Watford part of the country from memory (hope you dont mind me revealing that)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:08 pm

Most driving ranges don't supply equipment though unless you enrol in a beginner's course.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome and advice Gents.

Hobo's almost right - I'm North Hertfordshire. So if anyone knows any friendly clubs who teach beginners in that area, please let me know.

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 18 Jul 2011, 8:42 pm

Electric Demon wrote:Cheers MPB,

I'd love to, but I have no friends who play. So what do I do? Are there like beginners courses where you can go and have some training/practice?

Welcome ED

Very simple if you want to get into this wonderful game, just google driving ranges in your area then head down to your nearest one. Have a chat, they virtually all have teaching pro's that will run beginners group lessons. That is the best way to start then once you get the basics you can move on to individual lessons. It's also a good way to meet people of a similar standard that you can play with.

It is a wonderful game, you can easily get hooked. Nobody ever died wishing they had played less golf Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:46 am

drive4show wrote:
Electric Demon wrote:Cheers MPB,

Welcome ED

Very simple if you want to get into this wonderful game, just google driving ranges in your area then head down to your nearest one. Have a chat, they virtually all have teaching pro's that will run beginners group lessons. That is the best way to start then once you get the basics you can move on to individual lessons. It's also a good way to meet people of a similar standard that you can play with.

It is a wonderful game, you can easily get hooked. Nobody ever died wishing they had played less golf Wink

No, but i may well die wishing i'd been a bit more cautious on difficult pins!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:29 am

Haha.

Sorry Davie - I didn't answer your question fully. I'm 27.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:43 am

Can't really disagree then with what D4S says - although in my experience not all driving ranges would offer the best services in this area. Some do, but some are just plaes where people go to whack the ball as hard as they can. If you have a GOOD driving range nearby, try that first, if not then consider some courses in your area for beginners lessons

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:59 am

Davie wrote:Can't really disagree then with what D4S says - although in my experience not all driving ranges would offer the best services in this area. Some do, but some are just plaes where people go to whack the ball as hard as they can. If you have a GOOD driving range nearby, try that first, if not then consider some courses in your area for beginners lessons

I'd echo that, and given that ED is in North Herts, if he can get over to Watford there's a TopGolf centre there. They will be able to offer lessons, kit hire and the whole setup there is ideal for taking a couple of mates and having fun competing with one another to hit the targets. You can even have a beer while you're playing. Slightly more expensive than some ranges but pretty good vfm.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:27 am

SmithersJones wrote:
Davie wrote:Can't really disagree then with what D4S says - although in my experience not all driving ranges would offer the best services in this area. Some do, but some are just plaes where people go to whack the ball as hard as they can. If you have a GOOD driving range nearby, try that first, if not then consider some courses in your area for beginners lessons

I'd echo that, and given that ED is in North Herts, if he can get over to Watford there's a TopGolf centre there. They will be able to offer lessons, kit hire and the whole setup there is ideal for taking a couple of mates and having fun competing with one another to hit the targets. You can even have a beer while you're playing. Slightly more expensive than some ranges but pretty good vfm.

Cheers Guys,

I've actually been to Top Golf in Watford. I never realised they did lessons, or that it would come reccomended as a place to start. Thought it might be bit too gimmicky for the golf traditionalists, but I'll look into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:29 am

How anyone can vote for the US Open as exciting is beyond me; a non typical US Open course, none of the perils we all like to see, and a run away leader from round 1! Exciting, no, infact i stopped avidly watching after round 2

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down