The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

+27
md_fan
Solerina
Soldier_Of_Fortune
BoxingFan88
Jukebox Timebomb
coxy0001
milkyboy
Kay Fabe
BALTIMORA
TopHat24/7
paperbag_puncher
Rowley
McLaren
Seanusarrilius
licence_007
TRUSSMAN66
captain carrantuohil
Scottrf
John Bloody Wayne
jimdig
The Galveston Giant
SirJohnnyEnglish
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez Empty Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Here it is, guys. A Q&A with the official Pound for Pound #2 ranked fighter in the world, Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez.

Spoiler:

Hailing from Buenos Aires, Argentina, Martinez turned professional in 1997 at the age of 22, a mere two years after turning his hand to boxing at any level. Prior to taking up boxing, he was a professional cyclist and football player.

Originally fighting in the Welterweight division, Martinez has since moved up through the weights to where he is currently operating at Middleweight. Winning world titles at both Light-Middleweight and Middleweight, Martinez is now the WBC Diamond and Ring Middleweight champion of the world, and was named The Ring 'Fighter of the Year' in 2010, in addition to being awarded The Ring 'Knockout of the Year' accolade.

His next fight is against Britain's very own Darren Barker to be held at the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, USA, on 1st October 2011.

Many thanks to Sergio for agreeing to take part in this Q&A with 606v2, I'm sure you'll agree it is a very interesting read, and a huge coup for the forum to have interaction with such a massive name within the boxing world. We wish him all the best for the future.

General Boxing Questions

Would you be happy to move up to the Super-Middleweight division to chase big fights with the likes of Andre Ward, Carl Froch or Lucian Bute if you are unable to get big fights at Light-Middleweight or Middleweight?

I started at 147, in 2003 climbed to 154 and due to the demands of my career I had to climb to 160. I consider myself a strong 154 or small 160. The 168 will only come if there is a profitable business or an agreed weight where both boxers have to make a sacrifice. I'm open to any fight with the best, but not where only I have to sacrifice. I'll give you an example. I'd fight with Bernard Hopkins tomorrow at a weight of 165 and agreed fighting weight of 172.

Do you still have ambitions to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquaio? Which of these fights would you prefer?

Pacquiao I never had any intention of fighting. It's too small for me. The only weight to fight at is 154 and I do not give up more weight than that. For me, at 154, I have no problems.
Mayweather is another thing. I want that fight. It is undisputed number 1 pound for pound and I want to win. I can beat him, but also, I'm dangerous for him and that fight will happen but not short term. I wish I could fight him with the middleweight world title at stake, but at a weight of 156-158 pounds.

Do you feel that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Miguel Cotto are avoiding you, and have you tried hard to make these fights?

Cotto is a businessman and not a fighter. He wants to make money from his last fights and to fight with me he knows that if it is at either 154 or 160, he will be knocked out. I have challenged him publicly, privately, up close, from afar, but he does not want it ... What else can we do?

Chavez Jr is my regular divisional champion. I am champion emeritus and diamonds. I have the right to request to contest the title on a preferential basis. Don Jose Sulaiman asked me to leave you with a voluntary defense and I made my fight in October and immediately ordered our fight. If Jr does not accept that, you remove the belt. I have nothing against jr. I want my belt. If you are champion, you must accept the responsibility that entails. If he does not fight with me, it will be the biggest embarrassment I've ever seen in boxing.

How much have you seen of Darren Barker, and what do you feel are his strengths?

He is English, that is important. He's undefeated. He is European Champion. And he is brave, because he has accepted a difficult challenge. I always say that boxers are dangerous that accept the more difficult challenges. Those who are not afraid of anything. Barker has agreed to something that "champions" such as Cotto or Chavez have refused. All my respect for Barker. He is a true fighter.

3 fights I've seen him. I have a clear idea of how the fight will develop. The tactics and strategy will be defined during the camp. I am already a machine arriving in perfect condition on the day October 1. As of October 2, I will be a person.

How different do you think your career might have been if you had started boxing at an earlier age?

Age does not matter. If I had started earlier, I would have retired by now. The important thing is to bring life to the athlete. I am happy training. I do not know when I will retire, so far I can only say that every camp, every fight, I'm a better boxer, better athlete.

How do you feel about the result of the first fight with Paul Williams, and the Kermit Cintron "draw"?

Fights are very different. The fight with Williams is a close fight. If I win by a point or lose by a point or draw, it will be perfect. The problem is that a judge gave advantage to Williams for 9 points. HBO said that only a blind man could give that result. I can not add anything more. I had the opportunity of a good rematch last November with a result that will go down in history (606v2: Martinez won via 2nd round KO).

Cintron fight ... I won by KO, won on points, won by DQ and got a draw. I do not remember more. I think I erased it from my mind. A shame, I say no more.

I know that you think that Williams clearly lost in his last fight to Lara. After watching that fight, are you still interested in a third fight with Paul Williams?

I do not want that fight. Paul Williams clearly lost. Fighters have to find their level and I think that his level will not be 160. I will only fight if my TV company makes me a good deal and there are economic benefits. Paul Williams has receded and that will be good for his future because now maybe Cotto, Chavez, a champion Pacquiao or seller of PPV will actually fight with him. Paul was a top 5 P4P in 2009 and was one of the most feared fighters, so we had to "kill" us, because the great champions of paper were afraid.

How do you think you would have got on against the greatest of all the Argentinian Middleweights, Carlos Monzon?

I do not know. I just fight with humans, not gods. I can not imagine that fight. The history has laid him in a quiet place and we must let the warrior's rest.

Why do you think that you have reached your peak in your mid-thirties? Is it because you began boxing at a (relatively) advanced age? Because you were a raw talent to begin with? Or were you just unlucky up until the last couple of years?

If I entered into a boxing gym at age 13, my best would have been 28 or 30 years. As I walked in later, my best is now. Nothing more. I feel good, strong, young, motivated and desire to be number 1 pound for pound. Do not know if I'll get to 36 or 40 years, but I will try.

Who in your opinion is the greatest ever Middleweight?

Carlos Monzón and Marvin Hagler

Who do you feel you need to beat in order to be recognised as the Pound-for-Pound King?

A fight with Mayweather is a direct option or unify WBC-WBA-IBF in 2012, defeating Chavez, Geale and Sturm.

What frustrates you most about boxing?

That the better fighters aren't always world champions. I am bothered by Chavez Jr and protected fighters such as Cotto.

How would you like to be remembered, once you have retired from boxing?

As a man who dreamed one day and made ​​it a reality.

Is there anything that you know now that you wish you could have known when you first started your boxing career?

All but impossible. Everything in life has its moment. Would not change anything in my life. I'm glad I lived every moment in the way I've done, with training and information I had, unaided, without privileges.

If Manny Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather Jr sign to fight each other, how do you see the fight going?

Mayweather wins easily.

Did you have much of an amateur career?

18 months. Record 41-1.

Is there any past boxer that you tried to model your style on?

Copy no. Learn from them, yes. Muhammad Ali, Oscar de la Hoya, Kostya Tszyu, Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez (the good one), Mike Tyson.

You have avenged one of your losses against Paul Williams, do you want to avenge the loss against Margarito and the draw against Cintron before you retire?

One thing is the result and another is how I feel. With Cintron do not want anything because even though the record says "draw", I feel that I knocked him out in the seventh round. With Margarito, I lost. He won. It was 10 years ago at 147 and in conditions very different from now. I do not need a rematch with Margarito, but if the press, television, and Margarito fans want it, they will have it.

You have boxed outside of Argentina on numerous occasions, is there a particular venue or atmosphere that you have fond memories of?

Without a doubt, Las Vegas

Marvin Hagler vs Carlos Monzon - who wins, and why?

Monzón would knock Hagler out.

Who are your boxing heroes?

Muhamad Alí, Carlos Monzón, Carlos Zárate, Roberto Durán, Marvin Hagler

Do you get frustrated that none of the other big names seem to be interested in fighting you? Or does this give you a sense of pride as it shows that they fear how good you are?

Exactly, I am proud that they fear me. I have the recognition of the press, the fans and although I have less money than Mayweather, I can say I'm happy.

Where do you see the sport of boxing being in 25 years time with regard to the huge number of belts available and their politics (as you found out when they stripped you of your title)?

It's easy. Boxing loses credibility. Credibility is lost by the "belts". Fans and the trade press can not be lying.

What were your feelings over your poor treatment by the WBC when they stripped you of your title?

I was sad. But I'm positive. I am the lineal champion with or without belts. I do not need a belt to feel champion. I do not need, but I want it, because it is mine because and I did not lose it in the ring.

Do you think that random drug testing should be mandatory?

Yes. Blood and urine.

Off-Topic Questions

It is well known that you have taken part in a fantastic campaign to raise awareness of domestic violence. How do you feel your efforts have gone, and has your campaign had a big impact in your opinion?

There are 2 campaigns. Against domestic violence and anti-bullying. I just know we can always do more. I like meeting people and helping with social problems.

If you were not a boxer, what would you be?

I do not know. Sure a competitive athlete, but I do not know what sport

How have you managed to remain good looking, despite being a boxer?!

My mother is an artist of the highest level, she did very well.

And finally, (from our resident web designer), it appears that you do not have a website, do you want one?! ;-)

I've had hundreds of submissions, but I always end up creating problems and I lost a lot of time. Time does not spare. I have no official website yet. However I do not rule out a serious proposal and if I do not create problems.

Note: Slight alterations were made to some of the wording due to a couple of problems in translation.

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez Empty Re: Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Absolutely brilliant coup, Fists. Very well done.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez Empty Re: Q&A with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Great stuff mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Brilliant read, credit to Martinez for doing it.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 pm

I absolutely love these two quotes:

I am already a machine arriving in perfect condition on the day October 1. As of October 2, I will be a person.

I do not know. I just fight with humans, not gods. I can not imagine that fight. The history has laid him in a quiet place and we must let the warrior's rest.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Brilliant stuff FoF, excellent interview and real coup for the board - nice work indeed. Along with JM Marquez Martinez is my favourite active fighter so that made fascinating reading.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Fantastic coup for the forum!

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Nice work Fists
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Loving your work Fists.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Nice one! Very interesting read.

He seems to have a different kind of respect for Chavez Jr and Cotto.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Haha he certainly does, do you think it is safe to say he isn't their biggest fan?

He is so right about the belts though, the organisations have become complete jokes, and to strip him the way they did was nothing less than scandalous. Like he says, it is frustrating that lesser fighters are world champions at the weight, when it is clear that none of them are better than Martinez.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Great job, and nice to see a few of my questions there. Didn't think you'd ask the one about his looks, but you forgot the (no homo) tag.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Thought it was a worthy off-topic question, Scott Wink I left him to make up his own mind about your homo tendencies, however.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Really superb, I must say. Monzon clearly remains the God of Argentine boxing, does he not? And hasn't Argentina produced some stars to shine with him?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Really superb, I must say. Monzon clearly remains the God of Argentine boxing, does he not? And hasn't Argentina produced some stars to shine with him?

He really does captain, and just a quick glance at Sergio's favourite boxers shows you a couple of Argentina's finest. Really tremendous fighters, and it is great testament to Sergio that in all probability his name will be mentioned amongst the Argentinian greats if his career keeps going as it has been for the next couple of years.

As I said above, I thought his quote about fighting only people, and not gods, was a cracker, and really highlighted the esteem in which Monzon is held.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:42 pm

First time I've heard about his amateur career btw.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Good record for 18 months worth isn't it, and considering he hadn't boxed before then.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Well done fisty.......great job..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 pm

Really enjoyed that. Thanks to FoF and Martinez!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 pm

great stuff and a really good pool of questions, good ol Sergio

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:47 pm

If you could be a sportsman what sport would you choose?

It think this is a great question and certainly sparked a lot of debate on the golf forum.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:49 pm

Kind of redundant question...considering he is a world class sportsman. Also, the Q&A has been done, no more questions required.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:00 am

Nothing to add beyond what others have already said Fists which is well done on this one, terrific work and he comes across as a top bloke. Now how are you getting on securing Naz?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

Any word back from Bhop? I seen you were trying to get him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 am

Just waiting on the Prince to join Twitter Jeff, and them I'm on it in a flash!

Sergio has a very refreshing outlook on the alphabelt organisations, and on the 'paper' champions as he calls them. He is also very honest when talking about the Margarito and Williams 1 fights.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 am

prettyboykev wrote:Any word back from Bhop? I seen you were trying to get him.

No mate, he is a difficult one to pin down. He seems to log in and out within a matter of minutes!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:08 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Any word back from Bhop? I seen you were trying to get him.

No mate, he is a difficult one to pin down. He seems to log in and out within a matter of minutes!

I've tried to get a word with him a few times. Would love that I have about 100 questions for Bhop. Would be worth trying Kell Brook he has started tweeting a lot. Darren Barker tweeted me back the other day as well he might be worth a go. Alex Arthur is willing to talk to anyone who will listen to him.

Last edited by prettyboykev on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I strugle to spel proparly)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:13 am

Nice one. Will be nigh on impossible to top that. BHop would be quality and perhaps the fact that you've persuaded someone like Martinez may encourage others to follow.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah indeed mate, hopefully it will add some pulling power. As you say though, it'll be pretty tough to top a Q&A with Martinez. I will try though!

Right guys I'm off on holiday for a week. Take it easy, behave yourselves Wink and I will chat to you soon.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 am

Have a good one mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

Paulie Malignaggi said he will do it. Gave me an e-mail.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

wow, think that's my favourite 606v2 Q&A yet. The honesty and humility of his responses make me like and respect the man even more.

Would love to see him smash Jr's face into the canvas...!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

The most unanimously respected/liked person in boxing?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:28 am

The guys an ex World champion and has shared the ring with some good fighters.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah I agree, it really is a cracking Q&A with fantastic answers.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 am

Good job Kev! Set up a thread and people will send questions I'm sure, unless you wanna wait for Fists.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 am

Sent you a PM, Kev.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 am

Fists is going on holiday so I'm just going to set up a thread.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 am

Excellent questions and interesting answers. Martinez seems very switched on and smart. Seems like a good guy with his anti domestic violence campaigning etc. I wonder whether he will be another boxer that will end up in politics.

Well done Fists for this coup clap

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 am

Love the way he doesn't mince his words regarding Cotto, Chavez Jr, Williams and Cintron.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:23 am

Lou Di Bella has just tweeted a link to this.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:37 am

What a fantastic coup for the board and an excellent Q&A, it just shows you what can be done if you approach these guys in a mature and sensible manor, very well done Fists

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

at the risk of repetition, great jobs fist and big thumbs up to martinez

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Brilliant work!

Doesn't get much better than having the P4P #2 fighter in the world answering questions from guys you debate/argue with on a regular occurence.

I'm busy drawing up my offer of a website to him now, might offer to be his Buboy and travel the world with him as well... Save me building a content managed one.... Wink

Still, what a touch!

Maybe we should go for a big dog outside the fighter circle next? Someone like Richard Shaefer? Lou DiBella? Don King!??!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm

D4 knows Ken Hershman. He gave him the Super 6 idea.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Brilliant work!

Doesn't get much better than having the P4P #2 fighter in the world answering questions from guys you debate/argue with on a regular occurence.

I'm busy drawing up my offer of a website to him now, might offer to be his Buboy and travel the world with him as well... Save me building a content managed one.... Wink

Still, what a touch!

Maybe we should go for a big dog outside the fighter circle next? Someone like Richard Shaefer? Lou DiBella? Don King!??!

Lou DiBella would be a great call. He's very candid and not afraid to be frank.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm

suck or such?

Lou DiBella might be up for it, he linked to this thread on twitter.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:11 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Lou Di Bella has just tweeted a link to this.

I know, just seen this!

Cracking kudos for the forum.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:21 pm

"Cintron fight ... I won by KO, won on points, won by DQ and got a draw. I do not remember more. I think I erased it from my mind. A shame, I say no more."

This has to be the best quote. Even a bit of poetry at the end.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:29 pm

What does he mean by the DQ though?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next