The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

+31
pauline1981
SmithersJones
gaelgowfer
Mercurio
Rangiora
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
Desperado
JASON DAY RULES
super_realist
shclaff
McLaren
Redrage
Davie
ryan86
WillyGilly
pedro
princedracula
venice1
Shotrock
goldwolf
Faldono1fan
sirbenson
Lairdy
NedB-H
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Maverick
ScottieD18
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship Empty PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 pm

1).Great Scott! If Adam Scott is as genuine (and dryly funny) a guy as he seems with his interaction with galleries following him, then his wonderful win at Firestone couldn't have happened to a better man. Pity his sherpa violated one of the cardinal rules of caddying: Turn up, Keep up, Shut up. And let that be a lesson to CBS!

2).Is that the first important golf tournament in which FIVE of the leading eight finishers were 25 years old or less? I certainly can't think of any Tour event with such great performances by the young ones. Ryo Ishikawa has now earned enough money in PGA Tour events this year to qualify for 2012 PGA Tour Membership; signs are he'll take up his option, and good for him; I'd pretty much written him off!

3).And on that subject, sort of, Tim Rosaforte (leading American Golf Writer much infatuated with himself) reported in my just-received September Golf Digest a recent radio call-in conversation in which Rory McIlroy had said he's sticking with the European Tour:
"It's tough to play both Tours. I'd like to play a little more in the States, but it's just tough with everything else that's going on around the world." He's a fickle lad, that Rory; I think we're going to have to get used to it.

4).The other side of the coin is Dustin Johnson's suggestion that he's thinking about European Tour membership as his arithmetic tells him he just has thre more events to play to qualify. Not sure he's got that quite right, but interesting nevertheless.

5).Tiger Woods played at Firestone, finished 37th looking good with some aspects of his game (decent irons, putting not too bad compared to his recent-ish efforts) but dead last in driving accuracy and close to last in sand saves (one up and down out of six). He needs to improve both if he's to make the cut at the PGA Championship, let alone contend.
Tiger probably needs to finish inside the Top 20 to qualify for the 125-strong field for the first FedEx Play-Offs event, Ernie Els too, as they've both said they won't be playing Greensboro, the final tournament for earning points towards Play-Off eligibility. (Harrington, Casey, Cabrera, Oosthuizen and others also currently outside the top 125.)

6).Fair to say, I think, that Adam Scott is now clearly the leading Australian despite Jason Day's promise. And watching Steve Elkington playing at Reno makes one think of the other Aussies. The post-Elk generation of Allenby, Appleby, Green, Hensby, O'Hern, Pampling, Senden seems to have peaked and it wouldn't be surprising if none won again on Tour.
Adam Scott and Aaron Baddeley are both having fine seasons, Jason Day seems to contend in every big tournament and Geoff Ogilvy continues to be an uber-talented wildcard. Goggin will be back on Tour next year (as in all likelihood Nathan Green is relegated to the Nationwide), Leishman plugs along but Michael Sim has disappeared. And what of any young Aussies coming up behind Jason Day? Not seen nuffink yet, guv.

7).On to Hotlanta, and the second leg of the Georgia Majors, another Bobby Jones inspired venue, Atlanta Athletic Club's Highland Course. The original design was nine holes by Robert Trent Jones and nine by Joe Finger. Then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it. And then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it again. "Longer is better" is the Jones mantra, so we have a par 70, 7,467 yard course with a 260 yard par three and two 500+ yard par 4's. That includes the 507 yard 18th, scene of one of the more famous lay-ups in PGA Championship history when David Toms laid up from the rough and got up and down from 120 yards to beat Phil in 2001.

8).It's going to be hot and probably steamy in Atlanta with temps around 90F and a good chance of thundershowers during the week. Bermuda greens were introduced by Jones and they're expected to be receptive to shots from the fairway, but certainly not the rough (we'll see about that). And they're advertised as fast, but not especially grainy which will be good news to those from Europe.

9).One would think guys from the south-east will prosper here, Kuchar, 2xJohnsons, Love, Simpson, Snedeker, Toms, Cink, Bubba, Haas, Glover, HowellIII etc, but it looks wide open to me. Home-course advantage will not help 1981 Champion Larry Nelson or, indeed, 1976 US Open Champion, Jerry Pate.

10).And while all this is going on, our Nationwide friends will be in Missouri, Russell Knox easing closer by the week to a 2012 Tour card.

10A).In the interests of a well-balanced sporting life, I shall be hoping to watch Andy Murray on Thursday at the Montreal Masters so will be awol for a couple of days.

10B).What's that? Murray beaten already?? He must have thought tennis was like WGC Golf where the likes of Stuart Appleby can sleepwalk to $35K just for coming last. Regardless, I'm sure Plan B will be enjoyable.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 pm

Tiger never showed up for pre-PGA practice Tuesday. Not what one might expect.

Well, Surprise!
He DID turn up, in the afternoon with Atway and Foley. Not his m.o. at all.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated info)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by ScottieD18 Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 am

I read Tiger's interview after round 4 last week. He was explaining he could not get his lines right because he was not moving it to left or right as much as before - smaller spread.

He was basically saying his driving stats and GIR stats were poor becuase he was hitting it to straight. As before he always promotes the positive and seldom admits the facts.

I think he will be a force next year though. His knee is obviously strong and his swing looked a lot better than in recent months and a lot of his missed fairways in the early rounds were near misses. He probably just needs to play tournaments for 6 months to get "match fit".

He seems to have bulked up the upper body even more. Perhaps 12 weeks with a bad leg resulted in too much gym work on the rest of his body. Might it be the case that these increasing muscles are effecting his touch and feel. I recall many years ago Tom Kire being wired up and the test showed that a lot of the smaller muscle groups were more active in the swing than expected.

Lee Westwood has finally addressed his two weaknesses by seeing Dave Stockton for putting (as did Rory McIlroy) and Bob Rotella for the mental side (as did Darren Clark). I think this can only be a positive move. I hope he can finally break his duck in Majors this week and complete the "Chubby Slam".

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 am

I hear Tigers been seen having informal chats with Shane Joel about carrying his bag for for him. Shane been Mark O'Meara's bagman for sometime now hasn't he. Tiger's close links with O'Meara seem to be paying off as a close frined may allow Tiger to take his caddy knowing he can be trusted not to shoot off at the mouth.

Was hugely impressed with Ryo Ishikawa last week, I had initially myself written this kid off as someone that could do it at home in Japan but did not travel well. Good to see his talent come through in a big event and even
more so knowing a) it secures his PGA card for 2012 and more importantly b) a larger amount going to charity as he is donating all of his 2011
earnings to the Japan fund.

Lot of guys saying how Penal the rough is this week to from what i'm hearing, so fast greens not receptive to shots from heavy rough. One would think if Donald is going to compete this week he needs to straighten out off the tee as he did at start of the year. Also unless Woods leaves the Big Dog in the bag he will struggle to make the cut.

fancy another guy in the Toms mould to win this week, is it Strickers week to shine, or could Toms repeat his Hotlanta win. Jason Day could shine again in the big event and if Stevie can keep his mouth shut you;d have to fancy Adam to go back to back.

Good to see Westwood finally addressing his Flaws, is there a better putting Guru than Stockton as for Rotella he did wonders with Nick Price and Tom Kite. Writes a good book too, here's hoping LW can silence his critics complete the 1st time major winner slam of 2011. Am I right in thinking that if we have a first time major champ this week that would be the first year since something like 2003 it has happpened

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:42 am

Kwini, I've notices that both Tiger and Phil are out early tomorrow and late on Friday. For tv, it was always one of the two out early and the other late on alternate days. Does this mean that the tv and/or the sponsors don't bother so much about these two at present now that they are no longer 1 and 2 in the world?

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 am

Morning All,

Hi Scottie,
Couldn't tell whether Tiger's "hitting it straighter so I'm missing more fairways" line was taking the urine or what! He cetainly missed some far and wide and AAC is said to have more doglegs that Firestone's pretty much straight up and down holes, so we'll see! His gir stat's weren't too bad, just the accuracy off the tee was awful, and Atlanta's rough is reported to be unforgiving.
I actually wondered on here last week if he'd lost weight, he didn't seem so muscle-bound to me in his upper body, but my TV picture is sometimes not so good either!
Hope you're right about Westwood, he certainly seemed in a good mood yesterday.

Mav,
Hadn't read the caddie report and don't know anything about Shane Joel; O'Meara and Woods haven't been anywhere near as close these past couple of years; O'Meara ditched his first wife, remarried and moved to Houston a couple of years ago.
I guess Ryo is the real thing; I certainly had my doubts the way he'd played off all the invites he'd received but looked good at Firestone.
Still not sure how good the Stocktons are; many of their pupils have seemingly regressed, Phil especially, but if he can just free Lee up for one Major win it will all be worthwhile!

Hi EmmDee,
I noticed that too, perhaps it's now the Tiger wave and the Rory wave, Phil a second-stringer!

A couple of other notes while I'm at it:
~Tim Clark has accepted a Vice Captain's role (with Frank Nobilo) for Greg Norman's Presidents Cup Team; the reports I read seemed a bit ambiguous about the state of Timmy's elbow, but he's clearly out for a while yet.

~The AP's Doug Freguson ripped the PGA Of America's decision to give Jerry Pate an invite into this week's field. Apparently Pate asked to be invited and the PGA concurred. According to Fetguson Pate hasn't made the cut at a Major since the 1983 PGA; he hasn't even played a Major since his ceremonial invite for Atlanta's 2001 PGA.
Ridiculous decision and makes a mockery of the PGA's invitation system.
Larry Nelson also in the field which is fair enough.
Kiawah Island for next year's PGA - perhaps they'll invite Hale Irwin?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 am

Am i right in thinking Olazabal's "invite" is because of him being Ryder Cup Captain??...............

How is Larry Nelson's invite "fair enough"?? It seems utterly wrong to me................
I have to say i don't know much about Jerry Pate...................has he some link with Atlanta??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Larry Nelson is exempt for the PGA every year as a former winner, I guess he normally doesn't bother but fancied coming back to the scene of a victory. And they can't stop him taking up his spot unless they change the qualification system.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Tiger Caddy watch. I'm hearing that O'Meara has agreed to release Joel with his blessing for him to take up Tiger's bag. Hadn't even seen that one on the offing when you look at the list of caddies who are available.

Don't see how they can give Pate an invite, a complete mockery of the system if you ask me.

Many reports about the 260 yard par 3, being to difficult for many players to reach in regulation, correct me if i'm wrong 260yards yes but it is all down hill isn't it.

On a lighter note, reports stating Rory was given a £100 speeding fine in Belfast back in January for doing 40mph in a 30mph zone, appears the judge even ask McIlroy if he needed time to pay it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi John,
Olazabal? Yes!

Well, the PGA is making a prestigious award to Nelson this week, he's entitled to play as a Past Champion (twice), plus this is the site of his first (1981) Major win. So, technically, as a Past Champion, he can play anyway, though guys like Azinger, Price, Sluman, Tway etc choose not to.

As for Jerry Pate, he won the US Open here in 1976, 35 years ago for goodness sake! He has no claim on a place as he's not a Past Champion, just entirely ceremonial and utterly absurd. Doesn't even come across as a nice giuy, always seems way too full of himself after a very short, but successful, career.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Mav,
Sounds like Shane Joel is the man!

#15 is certainly downhill, but water front and right of the green gives few options from the tee. Just been watching some of Frank Nobilo's course descriptions on thegolfchannel.com; 15 offers "zero bail out" in his words!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:#15 is certainly downhill, but water front and right of the green gives few options from the tee. Just been watching some of Frank Nobilo's course descriptions on thegolfchannel.com; 15 offers "zero bail out" in his words!
Ah ha Kwini, but it will be well presented will it not??

Thanks for the notes. Great stuff from Scott last week and he must contend again this week from what we are hearing about the course! Agree with you on the Sneds prediction and I think Folwer will go well again this week. Not a week for those with fragile putting skills, Westwood, McIlroy and Woods are 3 of the big names I expect to stuggle. Well, sorry, thats unfair to Lee and Rory. I dont think those two can win if the greens go super fast as expected. Further down the scale I think Tiger will be around the cut line without doing anything spectacular if he does make the weekend.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Yup Lairdy, Baker Finch will surely be well-presented, but then he probably says the same about Dame Laura, or at least Dame Edna.
Was very impressed with what little I saw of The Laird lsast week, he seems to be getting the hang of the US Open-type layouts.
Interesting line by Luke Donald yesterday to the effect that:
"Congressional was more like a PGA Championship lay-out, and this is more US Open-style."
Nice way of saying it; he also gave big thumbs down on extra-long par 3's, his rationals appearing to be that distance is no substitute for good design. Good point!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Excellent article as always. Looking forward to this week. Thinking Tiger will actually surprise this week and win imo. Just a gut feeling. Hoping Harrington can find some kind of form.

Also great to see DJ thinking about Euro Tour membership.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:54 pm

DJ considering ET membership is an oddity for me. Hasn't he only played something like 2 or 3 events. So 3 more would still leave him needing another 7 maybe more to meet the minimum criteria. Was good seeing him out in Malaysia and Bubba in scandinavia, but can't see their top guys frequenting our shores regularly.

Whats going on with Casey this year anyway, seen nothing of him, heard nothing of him, made something like 300k only since the masters and slowly feeding his way down the rankings without so much as a whisper

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Maverick wrote:DJ considering ET membership is an oddity for me. Hasn't he only played something like 2 or 3 events. So 3 more would still leave him needing another 7 maybe more to meet the minimum criteria. Was good seeing him out in Malaysia and Bubba in scandinavia, but can't see their top guys frequenting our shores regularly.

Whats going on with Casey this year anyway, seen nothing of him, heard nothing of him, made something like 300k only since the masters and slowly feeding his way down the rankings without so much as a whisper

I think the majors and WGC COUNT as european tour events as well if he takes up a membership.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Cheerrs Ned, Kwini !!

Looks like this PGA will be a long slog...........................taking a player like Donald out of it??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Cheers benson,
Easy for us to blog fun at Harrington but he's a worthy multiple Major Champ and sure all of us would love to see him recapture a spark of 2008 form.

Mav,
As far as I can see, DJ will have played:
3 x WGC'S
4 X Majors
Ballantines
BMW
Sweden
so his arithmetic is correct!

You're way overstating Casey's work this year; since the Masters he's only made two Tour cuts, $74k in official money, plus some cash in Europe. He's been complaining of a toe injury, but his bigger problem may be personal, leading to few tournament appearances.
To me, he hasn't been the same since getting irritated by Jason Day's gamesmanship at the MatchPlay - almost as if success there was an essential plank to his 2011 schedule. Results since are terrible, with no top 15's even in limited field events. More of the same and he'll lose his card and Tour membership.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Yep who knows Kwini playing with Woods may bring the best out of him!

And as for Casey I think since the Ryder Cup he has been woeful apart from his win he seems way out of form.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks for that Kwini hadn't taken into account the WGC's and Majors. So hee could add a couple of the big end of season events and be a full time member nice one DJ.

As for Casey as I say wasn't 100% on what his earnings were I may have been getting his dollars confused with that of Justin Rose.

What happpend at the matchplay then I must've missed something there. Just seems to be a complete lack of interest from Casey this year in general, even when i have seen the few interviews given his demeanour and attitude have been way off from what we had come to expect from him. Any known issues in the personal life area for him?

Toe injury aye is he pulling a Haye on us complaining about something that not really hampering that much. If he loses his card and tour membership then he has only himself to blame for such dismal form

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Just to be sure is Tiger's interview 10:30 ET? Which makes it one hour 10 mins from now!?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Lots of people use niggly injuries as excuses Mav. Toe injuries, ligament damamge... Wink

I'm sure someone on here mentioned troubles at home might be the reason. Whatever those troubles might be.... think Venice just blames it on Arizona...

DJ seems very much like his own person. Remember thinking that when reading an interview of his. I'm sure hanging around with Phil would make him a little more worldly and a little less insular, unlike some of his fellow pros.

Saw a few comments re Congressional like a PGA Champ and AAC like US Open. However, Webb Simpson has the 260yrd par 3 15th all figured out - aced it during practice apparently!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Kwini. Just got me thinking about the last time so many young players were in the top 5. I remember a young Sir Nick winning the PGA at Birkdale in 1978. He was 20, 2nd was Ken Brown (21), 3rd Howard Clark (23) and 4th Greg Norman (23). The sequence is somewhat broken as 5th was John O'Leary (28) and then completely lost as 6th was Eddie Polland (30). I know it doesn't hold the same worlwide importance, but I notice Ray Floyd played in it and finished in the top 10.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Can't find the revised press conference schedule . . . . .

Mav,
I have heard alusion to "personal" issues for Casey, but never seen anything publicised. Peter Kostis usually chats about him but, apart from comments about his turf toe and "balance", he's been very close-lipped recently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Faldo,
Extraordinary research, Thanks! clap

Would have thought it could only happen in Europe as Americans tend to start their pro careers later, and other countries' players were pretty much excluded here until the late nineties.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi kwini

Just seen your email, sent a reply.

I really shouldn't tip anyone for tournaments anymore, I seem to put the mockers on them! You have to think Day will go close though, and I like Jacobson's chances too. Goes without saying though, Donald would be my favourite win.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Have to say I do like the fact DJ like Phil is looking at the globe outside of the USofA.

Lairdy I know what sort of person use's injury as an excuse not me Whistle

Webb Simpson aced the par 3. Have to say Webbs been impressive this year and could well have a break through week. Can't see Donald picking a win up here, whilst he certainly has the iron play and short game for it, his lack of length of the tee is hindered by the fact he simply isn't accurate enough with it. Could it be too big an ask for Toms to repeat his win here, thinks he's a good outside bet for a T10, don't qoute me as i havent checked my facts but im sure he's something like 4th for driving accuracy this year and top 3 for GIR not a bad stat going into this week with the course set up

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

I like Donald or Westwood this week.

Next tier, I would put in Johnson, Folwer, Scott and McIlroy.

Another first time major winner?

Could be a real steam bath, but also expect some good crowds.

Stevie doing the predictable back track now.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Great Scott is correct. Left him off my fantasy list and good chance of regretting that move. I wonder if his caddie has extra incentive this week to be even more focused considering the whole world is dumping on his cutting words. Learned one thing as a Boy Scout in the Texas/Mexican desert area for 3 years with rattlesnakes by the dozen per square yard: stay clear or cut their heads off. The rattle serves as a warning but primarily as a way to distract and disorient the prey.

One U.S. book's odds for this week:
Rory McIlroy 10/1
Lee Westwood 14/1
Luke Donald 14/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Phil Mickelson 20/1
Tiger Woods 20/1
Dustin Johnson 25/1
Jason Day 25/1
Rickie Fowler 25/1
Steve Stricker 25/1
Martin Kaymer 28/1
Nick Watney 28/1
Matt Kuchar 33/1
Charl Schwartzel 40/1
Sergio Garcia 40/1
Zach Johnson 40/1
Bubba Watson 50/1
David Toms 50/1
Hunter Mahan 50/1

A number of them don't make sense. Not likely that Tiger, Phil, Charl, Bubba, Toms or Mahan will be hoisting the trophy Sunday afternoon. Though I could see Phil winning in 20 attempts. TW would need at least 50 in his current form.

Late note to Mav,
Thanks for relating your ACL condition a few weeks ago. Mine is not a complete tear so I'm trying to rehab the non-surgical route. Can't see taking full swings until January. How is your knee and has the game returned to where it was pre-op?

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Talking of Hotlanta steam baths, time to update the forecast:
Hot, sunny 93F today.
Hot with a good chance of thundershowers Thursday,
Hot with still a chance of showers thru the weekend.
Not as bad as when Lee won Memphis, but sauna-like regardless.

Talking of McIlroy, just watched the BBC video of Jimmy McIlroy receiving his MBE at Turf Moor. For those too young to remember him, what a player he was, not just leading the great Burnley team (League title winners and runners up, Cup runners up etc), but also for N.Ireland - he, Danny Blanchflower, Harry Gregg, McParland, Peacock, even the Doog etc carried the team to the 1958 World Cup Quarter Finals. Not every day that happens.
What a gentleman!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:55 pm

venice1 wrote:Late note to Mav,
Thanks for relating your ACL condition a few weeks ago. Mine is not a complete tear so I'm trying to rehab the non-surgical route. Can't see taking full swings until January. How is your knee and has the game returned to where it was pre-op?

Hi Venice, seem some interesting prices floating around there stateside. Sorry to hear about the complete tear you have now, it certainly is not a nice injury and would not wish it on anyone especially a golfer. I'm not playing the earliest I'll be back on course is september, am doing lots of light gym work on the lower body to strengthen the left knee again. I'm 2 weeks ahead of schedule with rehab so happy with that. Not sure the game will be anywhere near where it was feel I wont be shooting sub par this year again.

Going to take it easy with the getting back to playing but cannot wait, have successfully negotiated walking 18 holes with my young lass this week so raring to go.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:51 pm

venice1 wrote:A number of them don't make sense. Not likely that Tiger, Phil, Charl, Bubba, Toms or Mahan will be hoisting the trophy Sunday afternoon. Though I could see Phil winning in 20 attempts. TW would need at least 50 in his current form.

Over in the UK you can get the likes of Laird, Baddeley, Karlsson, Moore, Glover, Cabrera, Ryo, Hanson and McDowell at 100/1 in Betfred. OK not all red hot but plenty of them better e/w value than those you have mentioned. Jacobson at 80s! Some value to be had this week.

Last edited by Lairdy on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Laird, Ryo and Badds 100/1 and Jacobsen 80's i'm off to the bookies now

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Faldo was going on last week about how he liked Lucas Glover to play well at the PGA.
That 100/1 might not last long!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Apparently some lights have gone on with some "International" players with Casey, Poulter and Oosthuizen all committing to next week's Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, NC.

Still no word that Els or Woods might change their minds about not competing though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Good work kwini thumbsup

Excited, of course, about the last major of the year, even though AAC is not one of my favorite courses. Apart from all that heat, I can't really 'warm up' 100% to par 3 holes over 250 yard (downhill or not) or par 4's over 500 yard, etc. Plus, from what I've seen and heard these days, the course is not only over stretched (@7467 yards, par 70), but also overly manicured for my taste (e.g. 3 quite different type of grasses - green, fairway, rough)... Must be quite a change moving from RStG to AAC !

I fancy Rory to do well (again, IF his mind is 100% on the golf course) and still keep the faith that soon Lee's day will finally come...

Spot the odd one out at the PGA Champs Dinner the other night (and I don't mean Jerry Pate) Very Happy
Spoiler:

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm stumped! Can think of one or two that are playing who should be there, but apart from the casual attire of the two non-conformists, I'm at a loss.

Nothing very interesting in Tiger's news conference. Same old same old really. Seems like we might have a caddie announcement in the next week or so if Woods makes the Play-Offs.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 pm

kwini, I didn't mean anything 'deeper' than that... just pointing (not that you'd need to) at Daly's style. Good for him! So I take it that the AAC's dress code doesn't allow wearing caps backwards, but it's ok to wear jeans and pink jacket&shoes at the official dinner ceremonies...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 pm

pd,
I think the whole thing was sponsored by Loud Mouth.
Nice that Kaymer was so welcoming of JD, magnanimous about his style.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 pm

I think we will see some of the young-ish Americans to do well, ie. DJ, Watney, and maybe Kooch. Could also be Strickers week.
Of course I hope for LW - and him being a great driver he should be in the mix. Donald should be lurking as well, and, as said earlier, if MidgetMac can stop thinking about tennis, he should be around as well.
Other obvious picks are Williams/Scott and Day. Of lower ranked players, Garcia will do well, so will the odd Swede (Karlsson, Jacobson et al).

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Just listened to Radio 5Live's preview of the PGA. Carter tipping Westwood, Cotter and Rory's nemsis Jay T going for Day. Carter also confessing to having a punt on 800-1 shot Seung Noh. Must confess I know little.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 am

I'm tempted to included Pate in my team, but if I do I think I might end up on toast.

*Groan*

Kwini, I take it there's nothing stopping Jack Burke Jr from taking part next year at the PGA or at the Masters if he so wishes?

Of course, he won't, but it reminds me of a few years ago at Augusta where one of the past champions hacked it around in something approaching a 100 so his grandkids could see him play.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:19 am

No Suprises David Toms is stating what many will feel is the obvious that with the added length and the course set up this week he can't see a real low score winning this week and thinks the winning total will be nearer the level par mark than any other major this year.

Schwartzel saying that the 15th a lot of guys have actually talked up the possibility of playing as a par 4 and seeing par as a birdie stroke gained on the field. Especially after as he says he played it from the very back with a flushed 3 iron and just made the carry.

Davis Love III is also talking up the possibility of him becoming the first Ryder Cup playing captain as he feels his form is good and improving week on week. Also saying this weeks PGA setup is ideal for him

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:26 am

As much as I'd love to see Martin Laird win a major and win it soon, I feel his driving will hamper him here. It's ok in PGA events when the rough isn't so tough but in majors he's rarely on the fairway.

My outside bets this week are Gary Woodland, Webb Simpson and Peter Hanson.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:18 pm

ryan,
Jackie Burke would presumably be very welcome, Hal Sutton's Ryder Cup Vice Captain!

The GA Tour actuarial gurus have calculated that Tiger needs about a 14th place finish this week to qualify for the FedEx Cup Play-Offs. Appropriate I'd think as that must be about the over - underr tipping point for his likely finish this week. You might not fancy him to contend but would you write him off completely . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 pm

ryan,
Jackie Burke would presumably be very welcome, Hal Sutton's Ryder Cup Vice Captain!

Thanks, though I'm not sure if that's something I'd want on my resume!

I was just thinking, that we seem to have a lot of one-off Major champions recently, and with the exception of Woods (and Mickelson at the Masters), people don't seem to keep winning the same event, that you could end up with a lot of players teeing up because they won years ago, and not necessarily because of any current form.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Since no one else has said it - they're off!

Good starts from Woodland, as expected by many, and Ross Fisher, as expected by no one. Early bogeys for Vijay and Phil, early double for Ryo, and an early double and a bogey for Two Gloves.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Tiger birdies the 1st .... Watney birdies the first two!

Luuuke under par after 2 also

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Ross -3 thru 4 Very Happy

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Maybe this course isn't set up so tough after all?

Though almost all of the fast starters are starting from the 10th so maybe the front nine has more bite?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next