The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

+31
pauline1981
SmithersJones
gaelgowfer
Mercurio
Rangiora
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
Desperado
JASON DAY RULES
super_realist
shclaff
McLaren
Redrage
Davie
ryan86
WillyGilly
pedro
princedracula
venice1
Shotrock
goldwolf
Faldono1fan
sirbenson
Lairdy
NedB-H
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Maverick
ScottieD18
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 8 Empty PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Great Scott! If Adam Scott is as genuine (and dryly funny) a guy as he seems with his interaction with galleries following him, then his wonderful win at Firestone couldn't have happened to a better man. Pity his sherpa violated one of the cardinal rules of caddying: Turn up, Keep up, Shut up. And let that be a lesson to CBS!

2).Is that the first important golf tournament in which FIVE of the leading eight finishers were 25 years old or less? I certainly can't think of any Tour event with such great performances by the young ones. Ryo Ishikawa has now earned enough money in PGA Tour events this year to qualify for 2012 PGA Tour Membership; signs are he'll take up his option, and good for him; I'd pretty much written him off!

3).And on that subject, sort of, Tim Rosaforte (leading American Golf Writer much infatuated with himself) reported in my just-received September Golf Digest a recent radio call-in conversation in which Rory McIlroy had said he's sticking with the European Tour:
"It's tough to play both Tours. I'd like to play a little more in the States, but it's just tough with everything else that's going on around the world." He's a fickle lad, that Rory; I think we're going to have to get used to it.

4).The other side of the coin is Dustin Johnson's suggestion that he's thinking about European Tour membership as his arithmetic tells him he just has thre more events to play to qualify. Not sure he's got that quite right, but interesting nevertheless.

5).Tiger Woods played at Firestone, finished 37th looking good with some aspects of his game (decent irons, putting not too bad compared to his recent-ish efforts) but dead last in driving accuracy and close to last in sand saves (one up and down out of six). He needs to improve both if he's to make the cut at the PGA Championship, let alone contend.
Tiger probably needs to finish inside the Top 20 to qualify for the 125-strong field for the first FedEx Play-Offs event, Ernie Els too, as they've both said they won't be playing Greensboro, the final tournament for earning points towards Play-Off eligibility. (Harrington, Casey, Cabrera, Oosthuizen and others also currently outside the top 125.)

6).Fair to say, I think, that Adam Scott is now clearly the leading Australian despite Jason Day's promise. And watching Steve Elkington playing at Reno makes one think of the other Aussies. The post-Elk generation of Allenby, Appleby, Green, Hensby, O'Hern, Pampling, Senden seems to have peaked and it wouldn't be surprising if none won again on Tour.
Adam Scott and Aaron Baddeley are both having fine seasons, Jason Day seems to contend in every big tournament and Geoff Ogilvy continues to be an uber-talented wildcard. Goggin will be back on Tour next year (as in all likelihood Nathan Green is relegated to the Nationwide), Leishman plugs along but Michael Sim has disappeared. And what of any young Aussies coming up behind Jason Day? Not seen nuffink yet, guv.

7).On to Hotlanta, and the second leg of the Georgia Majors, another Bobby Jones inspired venue, Atlanta Athletic Club's Highland Course. The original design was nine holes by Robert Trent Jones and nine by Joe Finger. Then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it. And then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it again. "Longer is better" is the Jones mantra, so we have a par 70, 7,467 yard course with a 260 yard par three and two 500+ yard par 4's. That includes the 507 yard 18th, scene of one of the more famous lay-ups in PGA Championship history when David Toms laid up from the rough and got up and down from 120 yards to beat Phil in 2001.

8).It's going to be hot and probably steamy in Atlanta with temps around 90F and a good chance of thundershowers during the week. Bermuda greens were introduced by Jones and they're expected to be receptive to shots from the fairway, but certainly not the rough (we'll see about that). And they're advertised as fast, but not especially grainy which will be good news to those from Europe.

9).One would think guys from the south-east will prosper here, Kuchar, 2xJohnsons, Love, Simpson, Snedeker, Toms, Cink, Bubba, Haas, Glover, HowellIII etc, but it looks wide open to me. Home-course advantage will not help 1981 Champion Larry Nelson or, indeed, 1976 US Open Champion, Jerry Pate.

10).And while all this is going on, our Nationwide friends will be in Missouri, Russell Knox easing closer by the week to a 2012 Tour card.

10A).In the interests of a well-balanced sporting life, I shall be hoping to watch Andy Murray on Thursday at the Montreal Masters so will be awol for a couple of days.

10B).What's that? Murray beaten already?? He must have thought tennis was like WGC Golf where the likes of Stuart Appleby can sleepwalk to $35K just for coming last. Regardless, I'm sure Plan B will be enjoyable.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

Sad end for lw1, good chance of another top ten but that's not what he came for.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:39 pm

It's not the waggle that makes me nervous with Dufner, it's how quickly he gets down and swings after it, must be at risk of the clubhead moving about without taking a moment to settle down. Seems to be working for now though!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

Luke Donald seven over par for holes 15 thru 18 for the tournament. That's the tournament right there.
Westwood even par for the same 4 x 4 holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

The more majors i watch the less "blow-ups" seem to happen. This is between Bradley & Duffner...........this is a super course IMO............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Luke Donald seven over par for holes 15 thru 18 for the tournament. That's the tournament right there.
Westwood even par for the same 4 x 4 holes.

You could say similar about a number of players, the field average is 3.5 over par for the last 5 holes... a brutal finish.

Dufner is just keeps finding fairways and greens, and sinking the odd putt too. I still think he will crumple IF he makes a mistake.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

Scandinavia, yes... but no one has read Duffy that script...
As much as I try to hate this guy at the moment, I just can't...

That was some stat they showed there on the screen about Karlsson... never had a bogey free round in 101 rounds!?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

Looks like it will be a Yank after a 6 major drought. Will the true Yankee from VT be the one? Tough break for RK -- but it's not over ... officially.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

Looks good for Duffner for sure. The speed with which he hits the ball after address (once the waggles have finished!), I can imagine on days where he's not 'on it' he could be a right mess!

He's a bit of a fatty though, I wonder how Super will feel about this.... Very Happy
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm

Dufner thoroughly deserves to win this, I hope the Bradley man sausage up doesn't see any doubt or nerves creep in. Ideally, I wouldn't want to be waiting long on the 15th tee and watching another player having to play from the drop zone.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm

John Cregan wrote:The more majors i watch the less "blow-ups" seem to happen. This is between Bradley & Duffner...........this is a super course IMO............
You had to say it didn't you John! And after all the hype we had pre-tournament about this 15th...

Can we see some Hansen now please?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm

It just got interesting again. Hansen back in the hunt.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm

wait a moment... splash!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm

J man looks nervy. Waiting all that time can't have helped. Hence the over fade.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm

Oh, bogey for Hansen...

This could have shades of Winged Foot.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm

Splash! We'll see what he is made of now. Anders Hansen is back in this - a player I can't take to at all. Damn you Karlsson!!!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm

problem is the scandinavians are going backwards as well... Doh

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm

Big putt.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

I've just looked at the leaderboard, and discovered Verplank is T2, how did that happen?

All down to Dufner anyway, can he hold it together?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

NedB-H wrote:I've just looked at the leaderboard, and discovered Verplank is T2, how did that happen?

All down to Dufner anyway, can he hold it together?

He seems to be getting a little quick (understandable), not a great sign. Luckily he has plenty of shots to play with.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

After going for a swim he's still 4 ahead Headscratch There seems to be a 'tefflon' quality to this guy...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

Just when it seems like everyone's imploding, three birdies fly in from nowhere. Dufner 3 ahead of a group of 3, and in the bunker on 16... anyone for a 4-man playoff?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

Grand stand finish? Hanson and Bradley finish on 8 under. If Dufner can get up and down though I reckon he'll hold on. I'd hate to see anyone blow a big lead like that.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:25 pm

Made me laugh that big waggle even in the sand trap.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:28 pm

Ka Boom! Shot gone. Could be in for a big finish.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm

WillyGilly wrote:Grand stand finish? Hanson and Bradley finish on 8 under. If Dufner can get up and down though I reckon he'll hold on. I'd hate to see anyone blow a big lead like that.
Asking a lot to birdie the 18th with today's pin Willy. Perfect drive though for Anders, and Dufner back to -9, I'd say Anders should find the green, two putt and sit and wait. One more water shot for Dufner and finishing 8-under is a big ask.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm

Tough ask to birdie 18, but 17 will do... some effort from Bradley there.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

HUGE putt from Bradley. Duffer looks a bit touchy on the tee there. Hanson with meh 25 feet. Potential...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:34 pm

Some putt from Bradley there, the last thing Dufner needed to see on a par 3 with more aqua in front of him!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:37 pm

Dufner safely on. What would he give for a par par finish?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Well well well.....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

feeble effort from Hansen again.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:42 pm

Huh Bradley might not need a birdie on the last, Dufner's trying to hand this to him. Playoff time.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm

Redrage wrote:feeble effort from Hansen again.
Final round 66, no round over par all week, that's more than a little harsh...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm

Can't believe we may be witnessing a train wreck.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm

Bradley the favourite at this point?
He's on in 2 and if gets out with par, Duffner will do well the match it. He must be shaky
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:45 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Bradley the favourite at this point?
He's on in 2 and if gets out with par, Duffner will do well the match it. He must be shaky
My thoughts exactly. Can't see Dufner making 4 on the last if I'm honest, Bradley might well have two putts for the win here. But not a given that he'll make them...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm

NedB-H wrote:

Harsh but true, he seldom wins and I put it down to his uber safe approach. Lacks guts imo.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm

He's done a good job of it.
This is a great finish
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Another fantastic putt from Bradley. Decent drive from Dufner. In the event of a playoff do they go back and play the 18th?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Redrage wrote:
NedB-H wrote:

Harsh but true, he seldom wins and I put it down to his uber safe approach. Lacks guts imo.
If he lost it at all, it was with the eagle chance left short on 12, and the shortish missed putt on 16, but a great effort anyway. Think he's found a new level in his game this year, expect him to win a couple of times in 2012.

Bradley knocks it dead then... 3 from the fairway for a playoff.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm

3 hole play off Willy
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:3 hole play off Willy
16, 17, 18, if Critchley is to be believed.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm

Dufner safely onto the green but given the way he 3 putted the last let's not talk about playoffs just yet.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

NedB-H wrote:
Redrage wrote:
NedB-H wrote:

If he lost it at all, it was with the eagle chance left short on 12, and the shortish missed putt on 16, but a great effort anyway. Think he's found a new level in his game this year, expect him to win a couple of times in 2012.

Yep, that was a prime example. Happy to settle for the birdie, he said in his interview there he was very happy. I believe him. A winner would have probably said he left a couple of shots out there. He has been more consistent this year, but I dunno about wins... I just don't think he plays positively enough much of the time.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:55 pm

WillyGilly wrote:Dufner safely onto the green but given the way he 3 putted the last let's not talk about playoffs just yet.

True. With the chopping and changing of today, wouldn't it be typical if Duffner holed this to win!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:56 pm

Haha just noticed this on GMac's twitter.

'This next swing from Dufner is the golf tournament. Gets through 15 safe and he can pretty much limp home to win.'

Talk about this kiss of death...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

Sensible putt. Playoff time?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:00 am

Yep
Duffner looks understandably down to me. My money is on Bradley
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

Redrage wrote:
NedB-H wrote:
Redrage wrote:
NedB-H wrote:

Yep, that was a prime example. Happy to settle for the birdie, he said in his interview there he was very happy. I believe him. A winner would have probably said he left a couple of shots out there. He has been more consistent this year, but I dunno about wins... I just don't think he plays positively enough much of the time.
On the 12th tee, I'm sure he would have sold the hole for a birdie.... And remember, 66 was the best round of today. The other players missed plenty of shortish putts as well. Where I tend to agree re. Hansen is that he leaves too many putts short.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

Alabama vs Vermont
Red State vs Blue State
Tea Party vs the most Democrat State in the Union
Who would you pick?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next