The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

+31
pauline1981
SmithersJones
gaelgowfer
Mercurio
Rangiora
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
Desperado
JASON DAY RULES
super_realist
shclaff
McLaren
Redrage
Davie
ryan86
WillyGilly
pedro
princedracula
venice1
Shotrock
goldwolf
Faldono1fan
sirbenson
Lairdy
NedB-H
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Maverick
ScottieD18
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 10 Empty PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Great Scott! If Adam Scott is as genuine (and dryly funny) a guy as he seems with his interaction with galleries following him, then his wonderful win at Firestone couldn't have happened to a better man. Pity his sherpa violated one of the cardinal rules of caddying: Turn up, Keep up, Shut up. And let that be a lesson to CBS!

2).Is that the first important golf tournament in which FIVE of the leading eight finishers were 25 years old or less? I certainly can't think of any Tour event with such great performances by the young ones. Ryo Ishikawa has now earned enough money in PGA Tour events this year to qualify for 2012 PGA Tour Membership; signs are he'll take up his option, and good for him; I'd pretty much written him off!

3).And on that subject, sort of, Tim Rosaforte (leading American Golf Writer much infatuated with himself) reported in my just-received September Golf Digest a recent radio call-in conversation in which Rory McIlroy had said he's sticking with the European Tour:
"It's tough to play both Tours. I'd like to play a little more in the States, but it's just tough with everything else that's going on around the world." He's a fickle lad, that Rory; I think we're going to have to get used to it.

4).The other side of the coin is Dustin Johnson's suggestion that he's thinking about European Tour membership as his arithmetic tells him he just has thre more events to play to qualify. Not sure he's got that quite right, but interesting nevertheless.

5).Tiger Woods played at Firestone, finished 37th looking good with some aspects of his game (decent irons, putting not too bad compared to his recent-ish efforts) but dead last in driving accuracy and close to last in sand saves (one up and down out of six). He needs to improve both if he's to make the cut at the PGA Championship, let alone contend.
Tiger probably needs to finish inside the Top 20 to qualify for the 125-strong field for the first FedEx Play-Offs event, Ernie Els too, as they've both said they won't be playing Greensboro, the final tournament for earning points towards Play-Off eligibility. (Harrington, Casey, Cabrera, Oosthuizen and others also currently outside the top 125.)

6).Fair to say, I think, that Adam Scott is now clearly the leading Australian despite Jason Day's promise. And watching Steve Elkington playing at Reno makes one think of the other Aussies. The post-Elk generation of Allenby, Appleby, Green, Hensby, O'Hern, Pampling, Senden seems to have peaked and it wouldn't be surprising if none won again on Tour.
Adam Scott and Aaron Baddeley are both having fine seasons, Jason Day seems to contend in every big tournament and Geoff Ogilvy continues to be an uber-talented wildcard. Goggin will be back on Tour next year (as in all likelihood Nathan Green is relegated to the Nationwide), Leishman plugs along but Michael Sim has disappeared. And what of any young Aussies coming up behind Jason Day? Not seen nuffink yet, guv.

7).On to Hotlanta, and the second leg of the Georgia Majors, another Bobby Jones inspired venue, Atlanta Athletic Club's Highland Course. The original design was nine holes by Robert Trent Jones and nine by Joe Finger. Then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it. And then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it again. "Longer is better" is the Jones mantra, so we have a par 70, 7,467 yard course with a 260 yard par three and two 500+ yard par 4's. That includes the 507 yard 18th, scene of one of the more famous lay-ups in PGA Championship history when David Toms laid up from the rough and got up and down from 120 yards to beat Phil in 2001.

8).It's going to be hot and probably steamy in Atlanta with temps around 90F and a good chance of thundershowers during the week. Bermuda greens were introduced by Jones and they're expected to be receptive to shots from the fairway, but certainly not the rough (we'll see about that). And they're advertised as fast, but not especially grainy which will be good news to those from Europe.

9).One would think guys from the south-east will prosper here, Kuchar, 2xJohnsons, Love, Simpson, Snedeker, Toms, Cink, Bubba, Haas, Glover, HowellIII etc, but it looks wide open to me. Home-course advantage will not help 1981 Champion Larry Nelson or, indeed, 1976 US Open Champion, Jerry Pate.

10).And while all this is going on, our Nationwide friends will be in Missouri, Russell Knox easing closer by the week to a 2012 Tour card.

10A).In the interests of a well-balanced sporting life, I shall be hoping to watch Andy Murray on Thursday at the Montreal Masters so will be awol for a couple of days.

10B).What's that? Murray beaten already?? He must have thought tennis was like WGC Golf where the likes of Stuart Appleby can sleepwalk to $35K just for coming last. Regardless, I'm sure Plan B will be enjoyable.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Why does it matter how hot SR's wife is, if he wishes to comment on what a hound Federers other half looks like then fair play; were all entitled to look and comment.

As for the layout, it gave drama, was the same for every player and frankly was the most exciting finish of a major this year so they got it 100% on the money and far more entertaining that the dreary end to any major played over TOC or Augusta for that matter

Maverick

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

A side note, i've never seen anyone play as many outstanding bunker shots as Verplank. Even holed one on day 2 or 3 (can't remember now!)

Has he always been a good bunker player??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm

Holed one on Day 4 as well!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Holed one on Day 4 as well!

Did he? I didn't even notice that

His general pitching wasn't great and I started to wonder if he hits it in the bunkers on purpose!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

Cabrera, Casey, Dufner, Els, Goosen (recovered from injury?), Harrington, Poulter, Stenson, Toms all among confirmed starters for this week's Greensboro fun.
No sign of Oosthuizen so one might assume he's forfeiting his PGA Tour card or else he plans to play two Fall Series events.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:hope they're, just like The Turtles, Happy Together.

Michelangelo and Raphael always seemed to get along but i'm not sure Leanoardo and Donatello always approved of their messing around Whistle

Have to laugh at this one but MPB's response also applies in a different way. I thought kwini was talking about the 60's rock group "The Turtles", one of L.A.'s early finest from that era: other hits included "It Ain't Me Babe," "Grim Reaper of Love" and "Can I Get to Know You Better." Mostly associated with early psychodelia and all of its implications. They hailed from the L.A. suburb of Westchester, which is where LAX is located. North and adjacent is a redesigned 18 hole golf course with one of the better driving ranges in the area. (Not saying much) The course itself is short and offers little challenge.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

"No matter how they toss the dice", venice!

Missed Bernie yesterday in all the excitement, then upset my wife by berating her for watching Gregory's softball pitches to Bachman.

Yankees' addition by subtraction with the Red Sox losing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

Hi kwini,

Is Montpelier, Vermont going to hold one of those small town holiday parades for their favorite son now that he's grabbed one of golf's four rings. What are the local papers saying? Are they digging up all the family stories again?

Norah O'Donnell, now of CBS was not that much more intense in her questioning of Bachman. Strange how the press will tiptoe around someone who may have a great impact on the country's serious matters but will go all out to discredit a sports or entertainment personality as if they were the last determining factor of quality of life.

The Skanks could use a few more rainouts to gain ground if it means giving Girardi time to figure out when to pull the trigger with Mariano. Girardi's falling into the same trap that confounded Torre and Stottlemyer. They should all thank their lucky stars that Mariano has had the enormous talent to cover many of their closing decisions.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:34 pm

venice,
Our local (Gannett) rag, the Burlington Free Press which is neither free nor expresses views of most Burlingtonians and outsources all its support jobs to Rand Paul / McConnell country, has blanketed Keeg's win across both sections today, just two weeks after eschewing golf entirely from its Monday sports round up.

It will be interesting to see how VT celebrates; we have Tim Thomas bringing Lord Stanley's Cup to town in a couple of weeks so our calendar is filling up fast!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

Upon reflection, my problem with the AAC set up was the "all or nothing" of it. A water hazard pretty much levels the playing field for a miss. Put it in the water and you'll probably get just about the same score as everyone else who does same. Not so for other hazards -- bunkers, rough, trees (gasp) even.

So are water hazards bad? Obviously, not, but so many in a row, many of which were fed by shaved areas just off the green, made for a contrived, tricked up venue IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

Kwin - Can a Keegan Bradley flavored Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream treat be far off??

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm

Afternoon Shotrock,
I think you're spot on with the Ben & Jerry's idea; not sure what the flavour might be but a heavy dose of vanilla might be in order, and something strawberry to match those St.Johns' shirts (where's Chris Mullin when you need him?).
Keegs strikes me as very much out of the Nick Watney mould, tall, hits it a mile, way too nice to be a pro athlete, but with an unsuspected competitive edge.

Nothing strategic about AAC's water, but you have to say it sorted out those who were trying to force something out of a marginal shot. Tiger, Phil, Luke and Lee, Sergio and Strick, Scott and Furyk all had dips in the drink from which they couldn't recover.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:02 am

Maverick wrote:Why does it matter how hot SR's wife is, if he wishes to comment on what a hound Federers other half looks like then fair play; were all entitled to look and comment.

As for the layout, it gave drama, was the same for every player and frankly was the most exciting finish of a major this year so they got it 100% on the money and far more entertaining that the dreary end to any major played over TOC or Augusta for that matter

Can you believe I've just received a private message from mac explaining to me that he considers it bad form to comment on some other persons wife. Does he not know we wouldn't have a forum witout opinion, and if they were all pre-moderated lily livered and wet as he would prefer then no one would bother replying.
Funny how he can say what he likes, but when someone else dares to say something he disagrees with or thinks is out of order then he's up in arms. Pathetic, and yes federers wife is a boiler.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:17 am

Taking into account the fact i've never met him, Mac has to be one of the strangest characters i've ever come across!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

SR. I to have had PM's but forum is about opinion and no-one can have the same opinion all the time. If that was the case where would we be North Korea!

Obviously I want to keep this on thread so will use the Anything goes thread as my place to also state I think Federers wife is really a man in drag

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

s-r,
I'm sure that if you opened a discussion with Mac on the attributes of Mrs Federer as they registered on the Doak Scale, then I think you might find an interesting debate might ensue.
Might also find it would be quickly moderated.
Mrs Federer used to be a pro tennis player herself, though watching Ana Ivanovic scampering around the Cincinnati court last night, it's easy to see why Mirka's career took a different turn.

Regardless, hope Rory knows what he's doing; much more likely that these things end in tears than in perfect harmony, love and bliss. Which we all have to deal with but much more difficult with the eyes of the media scrutinising your every (almost) move. Or so I understand from Adam Scott and Sergio.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Regardless, hope Rory knows what he's doing; much more likely that these things end in tears than in perfect harmony, love and bliss. Which we all have to deal with but much more difficult with the eyes of the media scrutinising your every (almost) move. Or so I understand from Adam Scott and Sergio.
I didn't know Steve Williams had already dumped Adam?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

Well, well, well... interesting exchange on twitter:

Some guy: "@WestoodLee - Just looking at your stats - 21 wins in Europe, 2 in USA. Why not give the US tour a go in 2012?"

Lee's reply: "I'm giving joining some serious consideration for next year."

There seems to be a wind of change blowing through Chubby's stable these days...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:22 pm

Interesting, pd. We have to assume that most would have to seriously consider where they might make the most money, especially given the current state of the global economy. There aren't too many heads of state that are advocating an increase in revenue investment to help propel a number industries and projects so it's going to be the "trickle down" theory in slow motion for at least a couple of years. Can't see the European Tour bringing in that much more corporate cash to keep the natives at bay.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

princedrac,
Deja vu all over again with Lee; he discussed quite openly on 606 two years ago the likelihood of joining the Tour but decided against. I think he'd be a very popular addition, he'd certainly bring a breath of fresh air to the Tour and one would think he has enough kindred spirits over here to acclimate himself quite easily.
I hope he comes over, but the Europeans are going to find it tricky to fulfil all commitments in a Ryder Cup year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:11 pm

It makes a lot of sense to me. LW is obviously one of the elite players in the world today. The US tour affords him stronger week-in, week-out competition (99% sure of this), comfortable travel, higher overall purses (not 100% sure of this), and, IMO, a better chance to win majors (debatable I know, but my opinion). I'm guessing winning a major is top on his personal golf goal list for 2012.

But, perhaps he gives up too much ... European endorsements? More and higher quality time with family?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

Shotrock,
A couple of years ago it was the FedEx (ironic as he's sponsored by UPS!) handcuffs that caused him to stay "in Europe", especially as the first couple of events coincide with the end of school hols for his children.

If he's serious, I'm sure family and the viability of a PGA Tour schedule in a Ryder Cup year will be his only considerations.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

Kwin - I'm sure it would make Tim happy if he decided to compete here next summer! Landing world #2 would be a big coup.

BTW, never played a round at Newport. A couple of buddies asked if I could join them for a 6:20 tee time, but that would have meant getting up around 5am in Old Forge ... and I was on vacation! My loss.

I can tell you first hand, however, Symeons grub good as always, the Utica Zoo getting long in the tooth, and I'm not sure why they need a roundabout at Oneida Square!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

I thought (reading between too many lines, I know!) that there was the chance for certain qualified non-PGA Tour members to be allowed to assume quasi-membership, creating a limit of 12 events but not eligible for FedEx competition.
This would have suited McIlroy, I think, and certainly Kaymer and Westwood, perhaps one or two others.
And it would have suited the rank-and-file Tour membership with more FedEx places available.
It rather seemed that Rory's declaration two weeks ago took some of the leverage out of this possibility.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

Cant believe McIlroy and Westwood didnt take up pga tour memembership this year and now both are considering it for next year, a RC year, it just makes their decision making even more baffling. Perhaps the decision not to play this year wasnt their own....

They've said before the fedex play offs are the biggest stumbling block and they'd miss the Dunhill links probably but 2 events in Hawaii at the start of the year (tough life eh?), then 4 x WGCs, 4 x Majors, 3 x warm up events for US majors and they'd be sitting at 13 events with the play offs still to come. Could be even home in time for the Dunhill if they dont qualify for the tour champ.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

'morning Lairdy,
The Hawaii gig is OK for Rory, and would have been for Lee in 2011, as he's a tournament Champion, but probably not worth Lee going just for 5,000+ miles for one event. I think he'd be better off having a proper rest, then playing 2 or 3 Gulf tournaments, then play the US Tour almost exclusively thru the spring/summer.

Perhaps play Wentworth if he must! Then return to Europe for some autumn events, dissing some FedEx if he so chooses.

It seems to be the chopping and changing that screws guys up, Luke Donald probably has the best schedule as he programmes some significant downtime, then often plays three in a row; certainly helped him this year.

What also doesn't help is silly season events like Chevron and Nedbank which are lucrative but don't tick boxes on either Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

Shotrock wrote:Kwin - I'm sure it would make Tim happy if he decided to compete here next summer! Landing world #2 would be a big coup.

BTW, never played a round at Newport. A couple of buddies asked if I could join them for a 6:20 tee time, but that would have meant getting up around 5am in Old Forge ... and I was on vacation! My loss.

I can tell you first hand, however, Symeons grub good as always, the Utica Zoo getting long in the tooth, and I'm not sure why they need a roundabout at Oneida Square!

hey Shotrock. which newport golf club are yo refering to exactly?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

I am guesing the one in Rhode Island?

Shotrock have you played Newport before?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:57 am

"Newport":
Shotrock is referring to The Golf Club of Newport in Central New York, a hidden gem in some opinions!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 17 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

As Kwini states, a hidden gem in the sleepy foothills of the Adirondack mountains.

I could make it even nicer if I were allowed to bring a 20" chain saw to get rid of some blasted Christmas trees ... Kwin rolling his eyes as he reads this I'm sure! Smile

Mac - I have not played Newport RI, but I wouldn't pass it up! Site of Buddy Marucci almost taking down TW in the US Am in 95 (I think) ... I actually bought a car from Buddy and he recounted the story (for about the 250th time I'm sure).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

I actually worked as a caddy in Newport County Club for the summers 2006/2007 when i was a student. I got to play the course around 20 times over the course of the 2 summers- its an absolute gem of a course. The first year r i was there they hosted the Womens US Open. It's up there with one of the best courses ive ever played. Anyone else ever had the pleasure?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

Always looks a great course, hend.
Different world in Newport isn't it? Perhaps you bought one of those ocean-front mansions, America's Castles??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

its an unbelievable spot! some of the mansions really are beyond believe. I can see myself retiring there in my later years. Having said that i might be about 300 years old before i can afford anything on the seafront!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10