The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

+31
pauline1981
SmithersJones
gaelgowfer
Mercurio
Rangiora
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
Desperado
JASON DAY RULES
super_realist
shclaff
McLaren
Redrage
Davie
ryan86
WillyGilly
pedro
princedracula
venice1
Shotrock
goldwolf
Faldono1fan
sirbenson
Lairdy
NedB-H
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Maverick
ScottieD18
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 7 Empty PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Great Scott! If Adam Scott is as genuine (and dryly funny) a guy as he seems with his interaction with galleries following him, then his wonderful win at Firestone couldn't have happened to a better man. Pity his sherpa violated one of the cardinal rules of caddying: Turn up, Keep up, Shut up. And let that be a lesson to CBS!

2).Is that the first important golf tournament in which FIVE of the leading eight finishers were 25 years old or less? I certainly can't think of any Tour event with such great performances by the young ones. Ryo Ishikawa has now earned enough money in PGA Tour events this year to qualify for 2012 PGA Tour Membership; signs are he'll take up his option, and good for him; I'd pretty much written him off!

3).And on that subject, sort of, Tim Rosaforte (leading American Golf Writer much infatuated with himself) reported in my just-received September Golf Digest a recent radio call-in conversation in which Rory McIlroy had said he's sticking with the European Tour:
"It's tough to play both Tours. I'd like to play a little more in the States, but it's just tough with everything else that's going on around the world." He's a fickle lad, that Rory; I think we're going to have to get used to it.

4).The other side of the coin is Dustin Johnson's suggestion that he's thinking about European Tour membership as his arithmetic tells him he just has thre more events to play to qualify. Not sure he's got that quite right, but interesting nevertheless.

5).Tiger Woods played at Firestone, finished 37th looking good with some aspects of his game (decent irons, putting not too bad compared to his recent-ish efforts) but dead last in driving accuracy and close to last in sand saves (one up and down out of six). He needs to improve both if he's to make the cut at the PGA Championship, let alone contend.
Tiger probably needs to finish inside the Top 20 to qualify for the 125-strong field for the first FedEx Play-Offs event, Ernie Els too, as they've both said they won't be playing Greensboro, the final tournament for earning points towards Play-Off eligibility. (Harrington, Casey, Cabrera, Oosthuizen and others also currently outside the top 125.)

6).Fair to say, I think, that Adam Scott is now clearly the leading Australian despite Jason Day's promise. And watching Steve Elkington playing at Reno makes one think of the other Aussies. The post-Elk generation of Allenby, Appleby, Green, Hensby, O'Hern, Pampling, Senden seems to have peaked and it wouldn't be surprising if none won again on Tour.
Adam Scott and Aaron Baddeley are both having fine seasons, Jason Day seems to contend in every big tournament and Geoff Ogilvy continues to be an uber-talented wildcard. Goggin will be back on Tour next year (as in all likelihood Nathan Green is relegated to the Nationwide), Leishman plugs along but Michael Sim has disappeared. And what of any young Aussies coming up behind Jason Day? Not seen nuffink yet, guv.

7).On to Hotlanta, and the second leg of the Georgia Majors, another Bobby Jones inspired venue, Atlanta Athletic Club's Highland Course. The original design was nine holes by Robert Trent Jones and nine by Joe Finger. Then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it. And then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it again. "Longer is better" is the Jones mantra, so we have a par 70, 7,467 yard course with a 260 yard par three and two 500+ yard par 4's. That includes the 507 yard 18th, scene of one of the more famous lay-ups in PGA Championship history when David Toms laid up from the rough and got up and down from 120 yards to beat Phil in 2001.

8).It's going to be hot and probably steamy in Atlanta with temps around 90F and a good chance of thundershowers during the week. Bermuda greens were introduced by Jones and they're expected to be receptive to shots from the fairway, but certainly not the rough (we'll see about that). And they're advertised as fast, but not especially grainy which will be good news to those from Europe.

9).One would think guys from the south-east will prosper here, Kuchar, 2xJohnsons, Love, Simpson, Snedeker, Toms, Cink, Bubba, Haas, Glover, HowellIII etc, but it looks wide open to me. Home-course advantage will not help 1981 Champion Larry Nelson or, indeed, 1976 US Open Champion, Jerry Pate.

10).And while all this is going on, our Nationwide friends will be in Missouri, Russell Knox easing closer by the week to a 2012 Tour card.

10A).In the interests of a well-balanced sporting life, I shall be hoping to watch Andy Murray on Thursday at the Montreal Masters so will be awol for a couple of days.

10B).What's that? Murray beaten already?? He must have thought tennis was like WGC Golf where the likes of Stuart Appleby can sleepwalk to $35K just for coming last. Regardless, I'm sure Plan B will be enjoyable.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

Italy even par for the day, so far venice.
But Yankee Stadium almost as flooded as your namesake. Postponed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:54 pm

Sergio up to 8th, minus two for the round. That'll upset CBS.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:23 pm

Well it's go time for Lee. Not likely given his never-close-the-deal record in majors thus far. Luke the better bet.

Contrived is a good way to describe this course. Not suggesting the best golfer for the tournament won't win (they always do) ... but I'm not much a fan of this place.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

bye bye lee...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

Haven't seen any of these yet today:
Luuuuuuuuuuuuke!

Brian Davis with a nice round going . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

Looks like it could be one of those tournaments that no-one wants to win!!!
Just when you think someone is making a move, they drop back again!
Could it be one of the "unknowns" wins it???

Dufner looks REALLY cool, Im surprised!

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

Things are finally starting to warm up. Anders and Adam making initial strikes among others.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

And we certainly haven't seen one of these:
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

One thing for golfers to bear in mind should they slip from immediate contention:
Top 15 finishers and ties are invited back next year.

Duffffner has hit 80% of greens this week, not too shabby . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:22 pm

Just needed a little coaxing from the 606.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

I think he still needs a couple more to make it interesting, but so far so good!
Shocked at Schwartzel's mistake.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

There are 4 Europeans tucked in behind 4 Americans........all looking for Major No.1....................i fear the Euro guys have left it too late but i sincerely hope im wrong..........................................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

John,
Europeans steadily moving forward - Americans not stretching their advantage.

Big opportunity for lw1 just went begging . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

Luuuuuuuuuuuuke kiss

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

Lee could have won this ten times over with all the silly putts he's missed until now... C'mon Europe!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:43 pm

A bit late, but this is getting interesting now...!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:44 pm

Birdie absolutely crucial now for lw on 12.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:44 pm

After three days of a tournament seemingly going nowhere, this could be a cracking finish, the American outsiders trying to stay ahead of the charging big-name internationals.

Did they really just show a guy in T5 drive a green, and not bother showing us what he did with the putt? That's shocking...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

Luke and Adam entering into the fray with Karlsson looming as the 'big gorilla' in the room.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:49 pm

Lee is (quite rightly) criticised for his putting - but DAMN - he plays so well tee to green

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

Ned,
CBS certainly showed Hansen's putt. Birdie! Blame Sky.

Bad shot/break for Steele, perehaps he's the first to tumble.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:53 pm

We got it in the end Kwini, but after an ad break, and therefore after seeing a leaderboard telling us what'd happened....

Bradley looks good, wonder if he can hold it together, the other leaders starting to stutter though. Verplank lucky to get some spin on his thin out of the sand there!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:56 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Birdie absolutely crucial now for lw on 12.
what about an eagle...?! C'mon Leeee!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm

The leaders of the pack are shuffling . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

what about an eagle....?! C'mon Luuuke!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

Not going to win, but how good is it to see Sergio back to his best. Personally i love this guy, he is a true golfing superstar for me. Welcome back Sergio.... Very Happy

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

What odds a 3-2-3 finish from Sergio?

Sticking my neck out here and saying that the winner will be Bradley or Karlsson.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

Johnny,
He was at his best there!
Agree with you, great that he's on his way back. thumbsup

Let's hope he has a good final hole.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

NedB-H wrote:What odds a 3-2-3 finish from Sergio?

Sticking my neck out here and saying that the winner will be Bradley or Karlsson.

Despite my earlier post...Im going to stick my neck out and say.....

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke is gonna win it.

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

Sticking my neck out and saying Russell Knox has done enough today (approx 12th) to assure himself of a 2012 Tour card.

This is turning into a terrific PGA Champ.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

Looks like it will be too little too late for LW and LD but they are playing super so far.......i think Bradley will win this................

Winning score -8???

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

Ok, while we're sticking our necks out I'm going to go with RK. Slipping under the radar. Maybe beating Luuuuuke + Duffner in a playoff.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

I'd love to stick my neck out for an European, but this Duff guy is just something else...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

I also think Karlsson is going to do this, he plays the back 9 well and I fancy Dufner and Bradley to find some trouble down the stretch.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

Great tournament shaping up. Can the Euros continue the charge? Will the "no name" Yanks be able to close the deal coming up 18? Duffner looking good!!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:39 pm

Don't imagine most of us thought this was going to be the Jason D. that would be leading the tourney going into the final stretch. This Duff guy is playing 'statue posing' on these approach shots. -8 is starting to slip away to get into a playoff.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

listening to Duffners interview after yest he sounded as deadpan (dull is a bit harsh) as Kaymer as if this was no big deal................i dont think he'll crack................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:41 pm

Oh Sergio.
Another fine Major tournament though. Golf needs Sergio!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

Doh

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

I hate these late finishes....I have to be up at 4.00am for work.... mad

So, its goodnight from me, good luck to our boys, I'll see who has won in the morning....Goodnight chaps...

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Did anyone else notice Luke Donald is playing the new Taylor Made TP Forged MBs? They showed you a swing vision slow mo of him in a fairway bunker yesterday and it was clearly on of these puppies...

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons/tour-preferred-mb-irons

Other than a hat and bag, and perhaps some wedges, he is hardly using any of Mizuno's equipment. Supposed to be their flagship endorsement too.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:49 pm

what about an eagle for karlsson?! C'mon Robbie!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:52 pm

Yahoo First major for Sweden looming ?!?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

Grandstand finish ahead... I LIKE IT!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm

Will anyone de trying the duffner waggle the next time you tee it up?

Anyone know the lowest round 4 score to win a major, Karlsson might be getting close whatever it is?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:22 pm

Johnny Miller won with a final round 63 at the 73 US Open Mac. -1 for the final 4 for Karlsson to match it then...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:24 pm

Scandinavia beating GB. True!
If this doesn't ignite some proper sponsorship in S and D nothing will.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm

McLaren wrote:Will anyone de trying the duffner waggle the next time you tee it up?

I used to to do something similar. but a teaching pro felt it encouraged too much of a handsy action, too early in the take away.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:28 pm

4 in it, maybe 6 if the vets Toms and Verplank finish well. Take your pick... I fancy Scandinavia.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 14 Aug 2011, 10:28 pm

McLaren wrote:Will anyone de trying the duffner waggle the next time you tee it up?

sadly I was just thinking that I would ha ha

Good putt from duffner

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next