The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

+31
pauline1981
SmithersJones
gaelgowfer
Mercurio
Rangiora
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
Desperado
JASON DAY RULES
super_realist
shclaff
McLaren
Redrage
Davie
ryan86
WillyGilly
pedro
princedracula
venice1
Shotrock
goldwolf
Faldono1fan
sirbenson
Lairdy
NedB-H
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Maverick
ScottieD18
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 9 Empty PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Aug - 7:14

First topic message reminder :

1).Great Scott! If Adam Scott is as genuine (and dryly funny) a guy as he seems with his interaction with galleries following him, then his wonderful win at Firestone couldn't have happened to a better man. Pity his sherpa violated one of the cardinal rules of caddying: Turn up, Keep up, Shut up. And let that be a lesson to CBS!

2).Is that the first important golf tournament in which FIVE of the leading eight finishers were 25 years old or less? I certainly can't think of any Tour event with such great performances by the young ones. Ryo Ishikawa has now earned enough money in PGA Tour events this year to qualify for 2012 PGA Tour Membership; signs are he'll take up his option, and good for him; I'd pretty much written him off!

3).And on that subject, sort of, Tim Rosaforte (leading American Golf Writer much infatuated with himself) reported in my just-received September Golf Digest a recent radio call-in conversation in which Rory McIlroy had said he's sticking with the European Tour:
"It's tough to play both Tours. I'd like to play a little more in the States, but it's just tough with everything else that's going on around the world." He's a fickle lad, that Rory; I think we're going to have to get used to it.

4).The other side of the coin is Dustin Johnson's suggestion that he's thinking about European Tour membership as his arithmetic tells him he just has thre more events to play to qualify. Not sure he's got that quite right, but interesting nevertheless.

5).Tiger Woods played at Firestone, finished 37th looking good with some aspects of his game (decent irons, putting not too bad compared to his recent-ish efforts) but dead last in driving accuracy and close to last in sand saves (one up and down out of six). He needs to improve both if he's to make the cut at the PGA Championship, let alone contend.
Tiger probably needs to finish inside the Top 20 to qualify for the 125-strong field for the first FedEx Play-Offs event, Ernie Els too, as they've both said they won't be playing Greensboro, the final tournament for earning points towards Play-Off eligibility. (Harrington, Casey, Cabrera, Oosthuizen and others also currently outside the top 125.)

6).Fair to say, I think, that Adam Scott is now clearly the leading Australian despite Jason Day's promise. And watching Steve Elkington playing at Reno makes one think of the other Aussies. The post-Elk generation of Allenby, Appleby, Green, Hensby, O'Hern, Pampling, Senden seems to have peaked and it wouldn't be surprising if none won again on Tour.
Adam Scott and Aaron Baddeley are both having fine seasons, Jason Day seems to contend in every big tournament and Geoff Ogilvy continues to be an uber-talented wildcard. Goggin will be back on Tour next year (as in all likelihood Nathan Green is relegated to the Nationwide), Leishman plugs along but Michael Sim has disappeared. And what of any young Aussies coming up behind Jason Day? Not seen nuffink yet, guv.

7).On to Hotlanta, and the second leg of the Georgia Majors, another Bobby Jones inspired venue, Atlanta Athletic Club's Highland Course. The original design was nine holes by Robert Trent Jones and nine by Joe Finger. Then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it. And then Rees Jones was called in to upgrade it again. "Longer is better" is the Jones mantra, so we have a par 70, 7,467 yard course with a 260 yard par three and two 500+ yard par 4's. That includes the 507 yard 18th, scene of one of the more famous lay-ups in PGA Championship history when David Toms laid up from the rough and got up and down from 120 yards to beat Phil in 2001.

8).It's going to be hot and probably steamy in Atlanta with temps around 90F and a good chance of thundershowers during the week. Bermuda greens were introduced by Jones and they're expected to be receptive to shots from the fairway, but certainly not the rough (we'll see about that). And they're advertised as fast, but not especially grainy which will be good news to those from Europe.

9).One would think guys from the south-east will prosper here, Kuchar, 2xJohnsons, Love, Simpson, Snedeker, Toms, Cink, Bubba, Haas, Glover, HowellIII etc, but it looks wide open to me. Home-course advantage will not help 1981 Champion Larry Nelson or, indeed, 1976 US Open Champion, Jerry Pate.

10).And while all this is going on, our Nationwide friends will be in Missouri, Russell Knox easing closer by the week to a 2012 Tour card.

10A).In the interests of a well-balanced sporting life, I shall be hoping to watch Andy Murray on Thursday at the Montreal Masters so will be awol for a couple of days.

10B).What's that? Murray beaten already?? He must have thought tennis was like WGC Golf where the likes of Stuart Appleby can sleepwalk to $35K just for coming last. Regardless, I'm sure Plan B will be enjoyable.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 17 Aug - 0:29; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 9 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 9:06

2012 Masters invites to:
Bradley
Duffffner
Hansen
Karlsson
Toms
Verplank

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship - Page 9 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Notes from the Ballwasher: PGA Championship

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:07

Tea party till I die.

Feel for J man. Could go either way.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 15 Aug - 9:11

pedro wrote:On the 12th tee, I'm sure he would have sold the hole for a birdie.... And remember, 66 was the best round of today. The other players missed plenty of shortish putts as well. Where I tend to agree re. Hansen is that he leaves too many putts short.
Everything comes around though doesn't it? Dufner and Karlsson gave birdie putts good runs on 17, and missed their returns; Hansen trickled his up and it just dropped in for birdie.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 15 Aug - 9:12

kwinigolfer wrote:2012 Masters invites to:
Bradley
Sky Sports focussed on that too, pretty sure the Byron Nelson win got him there already. Toms is certainly there too.

Great comeback from Keegan, but I don't want Dufner to lose this now, come on Jason!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug - 9:17

Interesting that there seems to be very few people indeed around to watch this play off.
Odd
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 15 Aug - 9:17

pedro wrote:
Where I tend to agree re. Hansen is that he leaves too many putts short.

It characterizes him for me, it's not just his putting though. I saw him play an approach shot onto a green with water on the right. It was a par 5, but he had an iron in hand and he bailed out front left, when the flag was right of centre. He didn't get up and down for birdie and I felt he got exactly what he deserved. The green was about 25-30 yards wide. He is one player I just don't enjoy watching much at all. It was a very good effort from him today, but it would sicken me if I missed out by a shot, having made a couple of the putts he made that didn't get near the hole today (and he probably did the same all week). I don't believe he thinks that way though, and I just can't relate to that.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 9:18

Ned,
Agreed, just wanted to include all the top 4, probably a big deal for Verplank and a safety net to Dufner and Hansen. Toms, Keegan and Karlsson already there.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:19

Wowzers 40 yard difference in tee shots. That's gotta hurt the old manhood a bit.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 15 Aug - 9:21

Keegan! C'mon ... but sad one of these guys has to lose.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:21

But that will replenish it. Bang right at the flag. Big shout for a birdie.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 15 Aug - 9:22

kwinigolfer wrote:Ned,
Agreed, just wanted to include all the top 4, probably a big deal for Verplank and a safety net to Dufner and Hansen. Toms, Keegan and Karlsson already there.
Cheers Kwini, not sure of the maths but guess Karlsson can't drop out of the top 50 in time even if he didn't play again all year.

Those are some approaches for the first hole of a playoff!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:22

From both...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug - 9:22

WillyGilly wrote:Wowzers 40 yard difference in tee shots. That's gotta hurt the old manhood a bit.

Ha, I was going to say 'not when Duffner hits a shot like that'.... then Bradley sticks it closer!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 15 Aug - 9:23

NedB-H wrote:
pedro wrote:On the 12th tee, I'm sure he would have sold the hole for a birdie.... And remember, 66 was the best round of today. The other players missed plenty of shortish putts as well. Where I tend to agree re. Hansen is that he leaves too many putts short.
Everything comes around though doesn't it? Dufner and Karlsson gave birdie putts good runs on 17, and missed their returns; Hansen trickled his up and it just dropped in for birdie.

If it get's there, it is a great putt... if it is a foot or two short it's poor. If you feel you need to make the birdie to win, you've got to get it past the hole. Karlsson had to go for his, Dufner less so.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug - 9:25

Ouch, that looked nervy!!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 15 Aug - 9:27

Wow, look how quick Bradley stepped up to knock his birdie in. Hope duffers knocks this one in to move onto the next only 1 behind

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:27

Dufner hasn't looked right since the 15th tee. I think waiting all that time and watching Bradley make such mess had an adverse affect. Very unlucky.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 15 Aug - 9:29

Repeat of the last go around? If Bradley puts another missile in Duffers may fall apart. Be a shame for him but Bradley winning a major at the first time of asking would make a great story.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 15 Aug - 9:32

Oh dear 3 putt country for Duffers however didn't Bradley drain his from there. Who knows, I hope the they are tied going up 18. Kowtow would be wetting himself over a grandstand finish.

Poxy iPad should be Kostis not kowtow - wtf that?

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Mon 15 Aug - 10:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : iPad keyboard bs)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug - 9:35

Dufner unfortunately looks like he's given up
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:36

Ouch. Another poor putt from Dufner. Well done Bradley. Exceptional finish especially after what happened on 15.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 15 Aug - 9:39

Wow the tournament lasted a few holes too many for Duffers. Played so great up until 15. Hope he hi Doh Doh ts a good one in 18 to salvage some pride

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Mon 15 Aug - 10:02; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Rushing to post before I had to sit down for dinner and post iPad keyboard)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 15 Aug - 9:48

Wow that was brave/stupid... should be game over now though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug - 9:49

Bradley to 5 putt anyone??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 15 Aug - 9:53

Point of interest, if you'd been told a Jason D would be in the mix right at the end surely nearly everyone would have put money on a certain Mr Day. Funny old game.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 15 Aug - 10:07

Good finish from Duffers. Nice to see the club pro gets a glass bowl; just wanted he always wanted

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon 15 Aug - 10:13

Quite an accomplishment for Keegan. Hope he lives up to expectations whatever they now may be. Sorrow for Dufner as he seems a sad soul. Could barely wrangle a thin smirk during the whole while he had a decent lead. Failed to seize the moment.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 10:32

venice,
Don't think there's much danger of Keegs letting this go to his head. Very grounded family from what I understand. He certainly holed some snakes but fortune favours the proverbial brave, and that's what he was. The first of the Young Americans to win a big one.

Too bad for the Duffmeister, he'd've figured starting the play-off that even par would win.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 10:39

As for the FedEx Play-Offs, Els, Harrington, Cejka, Oosthuizen, Casey and Cabrera are among those with European Tour membership who are 126th or worse and are likely to be otherwise unemployed for five weeks, barring a good, in some cases super, finish in Greensboro.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug - 16:22

Quite simply that was the best major of the year, the comeback from a triple by Bradley. Duffman showing you don't need be able to bomb it off the tee to compete big. Toms rolling back a few years as well as rolling in a few birdies. Had the lot and best 3 play off holes the PGA could ask for.

Keegan Bradley joins Francis Ouimet and Ben Curtis to become the third guy to win his first major playing in his first major. Anyones money on Keegan being Rookie of the year perhaps!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 15 Aug - 19:16

Maverick wrote:
Keegan Bradley joins Francis Ouimet and Ben Curtis to become the third guy to win his first major playing in his first major. Anyones money on Keegan being Rookie of the year perhaps!

Nobody else should come close to being their pick. He reminds me a bit of Mickelson, bombs it and attacks everything. Doesn't wriggle out of trouble the way Phil does, but doesn't let it end his round either (it did at the Bridgestone but the tournament was over by that point). That was a really gritty finish in regulation play and a ballsy effort in the play-off.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug - 19:26

What about Willie Park, Snr. He won the first ever open so it must have also been his first ever major?

Or indeed Horace Rawlins who won the first ever US open? According to wiki that was only his third event.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug - 19:50

McLaren wrote:What about Willie Park, Snr. He won the first ever open so it must have also been his first ever major?

Or indeed Horace Rawlins who won the first ever US open? According to wiki that was only his third event.

Yes but Mac at the time of those events they weren't classed as Majors........ So it still remains, Ouimet, Curtis and Braddley.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug - 19:52

When Ouimet won the US open the notion of majors would not have existed either. The idea of majors did not really appear until the late 20's and not as we know it until the 50/60's.

So in that case it remains curtis and Braddley?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 15 Aug - 20:01

McLaren wrote:When Ouimet won the US open the notion of majors would not have existed either. The idea of majors did not really appear until the late 20's and not as we know it until the 50/60's.

So in that case it remains curtis and Braddley?

Fair point, so lets hope he goes from strength to strength and doesn't do a curtis.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 20:57

Thought Dufner was unlucky, didn't do anything wrong until after waiting for godknows how long on the 15th tee, then it all slowly unravelled. He'd've been better off if Bradley had parred or at least bogeyed 15; as it was Keegs had nothing to lose and played like it, brilliantly.

No doubt Bradley will get Rookie Of The Year, but Schwartzel's also eligible. He'll fall foul of the same mindset that upended Rory in favour of Rickie last year, but a Play-Off win could change that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Aug - 21:24

It just shows that all can happen in Golf.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 15 Aug - 21:28

Great guts and golf from Bradley. Off the tee and on the greens very impressive. Would he qualify for Player of the year as well? If he was and no one else gets to 3 wins this season are there any arguements?

Bit disappointed for Dufner, thats the 2nd time this year I've wanted him to win a play-off and he's just came up short. Rather than any of the waiting around I think he maybe came undone trying to following Bradley in for birdie on the 17th.

Very disappointing for the euros. Would have thought Donald didnt have to attack as such on 15. 16 and 17 may have provided enough opportunities. Needs to choose his moments a little better. I said on the Westwood putting thread that he spends far too much time and energy analysing missed putts. Far too much dramatising going on I'm afraid. Should spend more time looking at the hole when over the ball and work on a smoother tempo. The sad realisation for him is that no ones wins a major with average to poor putting.

Was really up for Karlsson's charge. Had him on e/w @ 100/1! Another who miss read the pace on 17th green.

PS Sergio will win again this year! Few golfers get me out my seat and he did it again with his tee shot on 17.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 21:46

Hi Lairdy,
Hope you're right about Sergio.
Perhaps Montgomerie was right after all, the Europeans did need to be among the leaders after two rounds at least, maybe even one. However good the Europeans might be we don't have that many explosive players who can rattle in a 64 or 65 under US Open or PGA conditions, except Rory of course, especially with Casey not firing.

Good to see McIlroy and Westwood planing to play Switzerland and Holland; this is the time of next year's season where Rory will rue missing the opportunity for a little downtime - he'll be in a routine of:
Open
week off
Ireland, Bridgestone, PGA in consecutive weeks
week off
Barclays, Deutsche Bank
week off
BMW and, hopefully, Tour Championship then, possibly depending on dates, Ryder Cup all consecutively.
Good luck!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 15 Aug - 22:04

kwinigolfer wrote:Good to see McIlroy and Westwood planing to play Switzerland and Holland; this is the time of next year's season where Rory will rue missing the opportunity for a little downtime - he'll be in a routine of:
Open
week off
Ireland, Bridgestone, PGA in consecutive weeks
week off
Barclays, Deutsche Bank
week off
BMW and, hopefully, Tour Championship then, possibly depending on dates, Ryder Cup all consecutively.
Good luck!
But meanwhile what about some downtime in Cincinnati watching Caroline...

http://womenstennisnow.com/2011/videorory-mcilroy-sighting-at-the-western-and-southern-open-2011-in-cincinnati/

The wrist bandage is gone, Caroline must have a magic touch...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Aug - 22:13

Rory hasn't seen Caroline in a long time. Maybe that explains his wrist bandage? Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 22:25

Rory didn't hang about in Hotlanta very long then?
Not sure I'd have my boyfriend at the office when I was grunting all the time. (If I had a boyfriend that is, of course!)

Good luck to them both, lots of drivel written and spoken about the two of them separately but one very good athlete and a potentially great athlete - hope they're, just like The Turtles, Happy Together.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug - 22:28

kwinigolfer wrote:hope they're, just like The Turtles, Happy Together.

Michelangelo and Raphael always seemed to get along but i'm not sure Leanoardo and Donatello always approved of their messing around Whistle
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug - 22:43

I just hope they dont get scottivanovic syndrome.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 22:50

Look what Venus did to Hank Kuehne . . . . . .

Can't remember any ATP players sniffing around the LPGA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug - 23:04

The LPGA players tend to be a little older than the ATP guys, not that it would stop me but maybe it does stop them?

I was just trying to think who would be happy with their finish at the PGA and quite possibly the only person who would be is Bradley. I know Hansen and Karlsson finished well but Karlsson in particular may feel it could have been better.

There is not a chance, at least i hope so anyway, that lee and luke would be happy with how things turned out. As for Defner, well may be his best ever week but loosing a major play off must be gut wrenching for years to come.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Aug - 23:12

Mac, federers wife is a bit of a boiler, I'm sure he could have found better on the lpga.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Aug - 23:18

Super

All very well you saying that but is your wife any hotter?

Another thought on the PGA, will those in charge see the course as a success or will they be thinking the finishing holes were a little contrived and not up to the standards of a major venue?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Aug - 23:23

Mac, I don't have a wife, but even if I did it wouldn't mean I wasn't allowed to comment on other peoples , or would that be part of your champagne socialist manifesto?
I also wish you'd stop questioning course set up, its the same for everyone and isn't laid out to some sad doak criteria

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Aug - 23:34

I would think Hansen must be thrilled.
Never really came close enough to worry about the burden of winning, played terrifically well while all the big names around him were losing theirs', almost certainly exempt now for all next year's Majors and the first two WGC's and almost sure of participating in the Dubai bonus pool.

Manassero must be pleased that an artifically lengthened course will still be playable for a player of modest length and, at the other extreme of the age spectrum, Verplank must take some satisfaction on his result.

Interesting piece regarding Karlsson on the European Tour website; he seemed to consider this a breakthrough in his quest for a Major. Arguably the best fit player in the world at the end of 2008, it's great to see him contending again.

As for the course, it just didn't seem to flow and I own up to being in the slim minority of those who don't like to see an artificially created short par four. They should be designed by architects, not the USGA or PGA of America.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next