The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+30
Sin é
Redrage
Mrs Penfro
littleswannygirl
greybeard
Mick(TEFC)
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pal Joey
mickyt
PenfroPete
red_stag
Adam D
prop_lyd
Mickado
Suspicious lurker
Luckless Pedestrian
Ozzy3213
KiaRose
nottins
Standulstermen
WillyGilly
Gibson
Glas a du
Cymroglan
Notch
Thomond
MBTGOG
poissonrouge
Cari
34 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 8:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Stephen Jones photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Glas a du Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

nottins wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:
Yet they've never done anything bad to anyone? They might be annoying but don't you think tawts is a bit harsh?

So what ? No.

Either it is harsh, or it devalues the currency of the swearword.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by KiaRose Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

Read back on the brief discussion on Irish history / literature. Just a few points
1. The idea of Plantation was copied by Queen Mary I from her husband Phillip II of Spain. She planted laois (Queen's County) and Offaly (King's County) first.
2. The next plantation was in Munster and was in many rspects far more successful than the Ulster Plantation, i.e. got the colonists in and settled without the commotion that happened in Ulster.
3. Most of the "best" Irish literature from the 19th / 20th century from Ireland was written in English - a contestable statement as most Irish writers used the larger island i.e. GB as their platform for making their name, getting their stuff performed / into print. Many also wrote in Gaelic but there wasn't a serious market for that in Britain.
4. Untold damage was done to the language (Gaelic) by the Great Famine which wiped out the cottier class and with it the ancient lore contained in the language.
5. Within the Pale Gaelic was forbidden, but there is a great deal of evidence that the settlers did learn to speak Gaelic.
6. Conquest and occupation of a "newly discovered" land was only allowable in international law in the Early Modern period (14th-17th centuries) if the natives of that land were demonstrably uncivilised. In order to justify the Tudor re-conquest of Ireland, the native irish had to be shown to be barbaric and uncivilised. The process of doing so relied heavily on the writings of Giraldus Canmbriensis from the 12th century. But a glance at much of the contemporary commentary emanating from England followed in the same vein. Most, if not all, of it was scurrilous and libellous and took no account of the advanced civilisation which actually existed in Ireland at the time.
7. When Grainne Uí Mháille (Granuaile), the Pirate Queen from Galway met Elizabeth I in London they conversed in the only language which they held in common - Latin (good pub quiz question that).

Right, I'm off folks, got a few job applications to finish.

Night night

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

See no mention of them being tawts on there.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

Thanks for clarifying a few things Kia. I didn't do too bad!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

Cymroglan wrote:See no mention of them being tawts on there.

Tumbleweed

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

A anagram of tawts is tatws = Potato so maybe I was wrong.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

Kia,

Just spoke to my parents and they say that there will have to be extensive physiotherapy as they will have to learn a new way to walk.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm

Cymroglan wrote:A anagram of tawts is tatws = Potato so maybe I was wrong.

And watts. I won't go down the obvious route Smile

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm

Giraldus Canmbriensis

Hands up, sorry for that!

Mind you, he did the same to us.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

Glas a du wrote:It's ADHD in stereo. I was brought up not to mock the afflicted. But their affliction grinds it's groin in your face.

Well said indeed laughing
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

Notch wrote:
Glas a du wrote:It's ADHD in stereo. I was brought up not to mock the afflicted. But their affliction grinds it's groin in your face.

Well said indeed laughing
+2
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:14 am

MBTGOG wrote:Kia,

Just spoke to my parents and they say that there will have to be extensive physiotherapy as they will have to learn a new way to walk.

Thanks Munsty - not easy for an 86-year old. But by gum, she has spirit - if we could bottle it we'd make a fortune.

Last edited by KiaRose on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:16 am

Glas a du wrote:
Giraldus Canmbriensis

He is usually known by his English name in Ireland, Glas, but I didn't want to offend anyone in the pub, hence the Latin ...

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:28 am

For our Kiwi friends - and anyone else who enjoys a nice vid and sonme beautiful music

http://vimeo.com/27709878

Night all

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:12 am

New Rabo PRO12 Website. Been playing with it. Not bad. Lots of depth/stats. Needs tweaking, but pretty good so far. It will grow.
http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/index.php
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:23 am

Just home from work, attempted murderer remanded in custody for court. Nite all
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 6:34 am

KiaRose wrote:
Glas a du wrote:
Giraldus Canmbriensis

He is usually known by his English name in Ireland, Glas, but I didn't want to offend anyone in the pub, hence the Latin ...

It's OK Kia, he was a Norman born in Wales and very much part of the English establishment. He was either lazy or a liar because much of his report on Wales was elaborate fiction. It must have been if there are enough Dark Ages points of reference to prove him wrong!
🐑
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 6:38 am

LDCPete wrote:Just home from work, attempted murderer remanded in custody for court. Nite all

thumbsup

Let's hope the looters clogging up the system don't mean that the justices are under pressure to remand less people and he gets bail without deserving it. I'm afraid that playing to the gallery often has that side effect.

Good luck anyway Pete.

🐑
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:53 am

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:11 am

Bore da pawb coffee

Beeeeooootiful day in the capital today, it's Friday!! I've just heard "Candyman" by Sammy Davis Jnr on the radio and if that song doesn't put a smile on your fizzog then there's something wrong somewhere.

I didn't watch CBB last night. I was watching the final episode of Single Handed. Being as Thom asked it's basically a police drama set in a remote part of Ireland. It can be very funny in bits, but also very dark. I'll miss it not being on.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:19 am

Bore da pawb / good morning all. It's a beautiful morning here too Very Happy

Cari, I love it that Chris Evans only plays 'Candyman' on Fridays. When you hear it, you know the weekend's not far away!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:35 am

Norman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport?mobile-redirect=false
http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/rugby

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/headlines.cfm?c_id=80
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:38 am

Hey Rev, how you getting on?

fine thank you Glas

Good mun.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:46 am

Have you kidnapped him, Glas?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

He's my imaginary friend.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:48 am

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/08/18/the-cast-of-tv3s-tallafornia/

Wow.
I don't know what to think.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:48 am

I've got an imaginary friend called Camp David.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:49 am

Good grief Mickado...I hope they're not as embarrassing for Tallaght as the UK version was for Newcastle!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:51 am

Morning all!! How are you? Lovely day for me to drive down to Penzance think I'll stop off a few times on my way down Smile
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

Cari wrote:Good grief Mickado...I hope they're not as embarrassing for Tallaght as the UK version was for Newcastle!

I have every faith in them, that they'll be just as embarrassing.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

Mickado wrote:
Cari wrote:Good grief Mickado...I hope they're not as embarrassing for Tallaght as the UK version was for Newcastle!

Laugh It should pull in a few viewers then. Are you going to audition for the missing fourth girl part? Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

Cari wrote:
Mickado wrote:

Laugh It should pull in a few viewers then. Are you going to audition for the missing fourth girl part? Very Happy

Ah no, it looks like they've already got one transvestite, they don't need another. I would bet that one of the fella's will be called any of the following names:

Deco
Anto
Robbie
Marto
Whacker
Rasher
Rizla

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

I just tried to join the virtual pub league but it seems to be broken!

Thought I would let Rava know.....

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

No Micko?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:03 am

Cari wrote:No Micko?

How very dare you! raspberry

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:07 am

That program will be disgraceful, but I hope they do you proud mick.

Ah Friday today, off tomorrow, then a few more days in work and I'm off home for 5 days, feels good ive not been back since April
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:33 am

hughie1986 wrote:Ah Friday today, off tomorrow, then a few more days in work and I'm off home for 5 days, feels good ive not been back since April

Good man thumbsup
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

Hi all, whats going on?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

Glas a du wrote:
hughie1986 wrote:Ah Friday today, off tomorrow, then a few more days in work and I'm off home for 5 days, feels good ive not been back since April

Good man thumbsup

Cheers glas, and sure I'm going to the England game need to raise the level for that one ;-)
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:47 am

laughing
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

Quiet in here today
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Yup.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:22 am

music sun is shining... music

cider
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:23 am

Alright Hughie, how you doing? Just watching football videos on Youtube here.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

Munsty, why don't you kick off one of your philosophical debates?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

Here's a question. If some bloke from 2000 years ago was transported to our world for a few hours and you had to show him something, bring him somewhere etc what you show or give to him. He can't take anything back with him.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

Almost in asboland!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

Didn't you ask that before Stag? Or sometihng like it anyway. On the topic of making an Irish reality series, I would have thought D4 people would have been better. How wants to see a bunch of fellas from Tallaght looking for needles? Wink

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

red_stag wrote:Here's a question. If some bloke from 2000 years ago was transported to our world for a few hours and you had to show him something, bring him somewhere etc what you show or give to him. He can't take anything back with him.

I’d play him some music, take him to a match, and show him the advances in bikini line hair removal.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next