The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

+21
sodhat
Union Cane
Scottrf
TopHat24/7
D4thincarnation
Lumbering_Jack
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Small Time
Jimmy Moz
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Steffan
Colonial Lion
BALTIMORA
The Galveston Giant
trottb
Adam D
eddyfightfan
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011 - Page 3 Empty 606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Afternoon guys

I recently had the chance to catch up with Tony Bellew ahead of his WBO Light-Heavyweight world title fight against Nathan Cleverly.

Spoiler:

'Bomber', as ever, seemed in confident mood, and regardless of what some think the outcome may be, you can't help but get excited by an all-British world title fight between two guys with a genuine dislike of each other, can you?

Many thanks to Tony for giving up some of his time in what is obviously a very busy period for him at the moment. He's a top bloke, and we wish him all the best for the biggest night of his career.

I put the following questions to Tony in this short interview:

Tony, first of all, congratulations on securing your first world title fight. It is great to have two unbeaten British fighters in an event of such magnitude...tell us what we can expect?

You can expect a great fight, my city will fill the stadium to the 10,000 capacity I'm sure! I have something in common with all 10,000 and that's that I'm a normal lad from Liverpool who just happens to be good at punching people in the face.

Particularly in his most recent fights, it has become clear that Cleverly tends to see the red mist descend when he gets tagged, sticking his chin out as if to show he isn't hurt, and then proceeding to get into a bit of a tear up. Do you think this apparent gung ho weakness in his game is something you can look to exploit?

I don't really concentrate too much on what he does, to be totally honest he is a one dimensional fighter! He is a bully fighter, I will say this, what happens when he fights someone he can't bully or push back?? Someone bigger and stronger than him?? He's yet to meet someone of that mould whereas I have my whole career.

You have shown us two very different styles recently, both boxing and brawling. Which do you feel is likely to be most effective against a fighter of Nathan Cleverly's style, in terms of negating his slight speed advantage, and the aforementioned tendency of Cleverly to get frustrated and start taking chances?

He'll take chances no matter what, like I said he knows no other way, as for will I box or fight?? I'll just say I have the ability to adjust, pre fight, mid fight! Anytime really, can he?? I'll do whatever it takes come October 15th, I know my hand will be raised in the end..

How much of a part do you expect a partisan Liverpool crowd to play in getting behind you for this fight and providing an intimidating atmosphere for Nathan?

If 10,000 scousers were screaming for your blood how would you feel?? He's going to get the worst reception he's ever heard or seen in his whole life! The crowd will help with the noise and hostility but make no mistake, when we get in that ring it's just me and him and that's where his real problems will really begin!

I know that some of our forum members have expressed an interest in going to this event, have you got any ticket news at this moment in time?

The tickets will be available really soon and for more ticket information just follow my Twitter page (@TonyBellew), I'll say this though, act quickly because the demand for tickets is huge!

You're both very inexperienced at this level, and therefore don't really know how you will handle the situation. Do you see the pressure affecting either of you, both positively or negatively, or is it just like any other fight to you?

Every fight is different and while the magnitude of this fight is far greater than any I have had in the past I still see it as being just another fight! I know his strengths and I know his weaknesses! Come the 15th I'll be looking to exploit the latter.

If you win, have you had any thoughts as to what would be your next move? We have heard talk of Bernard Hopkins at this early stage, though admittedly that would seem to be a hell of a step up for either of you at this stage in your careers.

I'll never call out Bernard Hopkins! He's a true legend in my eyes and someone I've studied from a young age, I don't claim to be on that level yet, I'm not ready for Dawson or Hopkins, when I beat Cleverly I'd like a defence and then a unification with Shumenov. I'm ready for one dimensional fighters who fight with their faces, and that's exactly what Cleverly is in my opinion.

I've heard some fans and pundits alike say that coming out throwing bombs from the start is your best chance of winning..what would be your response to that, and do you feel that some are under-estimating your evident boxing skills, as shown during your successful amateur career?

I can box going backwards and forwards, like I say I am not one dimensional! I'll do whatever I have to do to win the fight! People who think that's the only way I can win are going to be in for a real real shock!

Do you feel that you have talked your way into this title shot, as opposed to fought your way into it? There has always been genuine animosity between you and Cleverly, and that press conference before the last fight that was cancelled seemed to get the fans wanting the fight more than any other reason.

This fight is happening because I made it happen. That press conference in May was no coincidence! It's also happening exactly where I wanted it to happen too! Come October I'll also get what I want and that is the WBO title. Professional boxing is a business and you don't get what your worth, you get what you NEGOTIATE!

Any news on a rematch clause for this fight, should Nathan lose his title?

That is contract talk and that is confidential sorry, what I will say though is after I beat him he won't want to come anywhere near me, I also don't want to hear any excuses at all from him!

How is the weight at this moment in time, and how long have you been training for to date?

My weight was 13st yesterday so I'm well ahead of schedule in all honesty! I prepare diligently so that's never an issue, we leave no stone unturned.

What does your typical daily training routine consist of at this stage of the camp?

I train between two and three times a day, from track work to boxing work to tech work and to strength and conditioning work, too! I have learned so much over my career and I put all that experience to maximum use!

Is there anything you would like to say to the members at 606v2 forum and the UK boxing fans ahead of the fight?

Thank you for showing a genuine interest in me and supporting me, I really appreciate it and hope you all enjoy the fight.

We wish you the very best for the fight, and thanks very much for taking part in this short interview. It would be great to speak to you afterward too, win or lose.

Thanks for having me and don't worry about losing as the next time you'll hear from me I'll be the NEW WBO LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011 - Page 3 Empty Re: 606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:Am i the only one that doesn't think Bellew hits that hard? the way he talks himself up you'd think he was some sort of Shavers

Agreed. Have been saying this for a while on here. He has knocked over a few people but absolutely no-one of any class.

Sorry if you've already said that on this thread but i've been looking at his record on boxrec and the people he's been "bombing out" and i'd probably say that if anything they're probably on par with each other in power terms

I didn't mean it like that mate, it was on a different thread actually.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011 - Page 3 Empty Re: 606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:31 pm

no worries then

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:35 pm

Actually in terms of the "punching hard" query I had to check out Bellew's record in detail. And apart from a list of bums he's not knocked out anyone worth mentioning. Only a 60% ish KO ratio as well. Only recently he beat a guy with a 9-21 record!

People criticise Cleverly's lack of quality WINS but the last three he beat - Murat, Mohammedi and Kuziemsky are way above what Bellew has faced. In fact Murat was undefeated and in the top 10 Ring Mag rankings at the time so you could even say Cleverly's beaten better fighters than Bellew himself.

The more I think about this, the more I think this should not be sanctioned as a world title fight AT ALL. And if Cleverly somehow manages to lose this then he should probably give up boxing and concentrate on Algebra or Pythagoras Theorem or something!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Actually in terms of the "punching hard" query I had to check out Bellew's record in detail. And apart from a list of bums he's not knocked out anyone worth mentioning. Only a 60% ish KO ratio as well. Only recently he beat a guy with a 9-21 record!

People criticise Cleverly's lack of quality WINS but the last three he beat - Murat, Mohammedi and Kuziemsky are way above what Bellew has faced. In fact Murat was undefeated and in the top 10 Ring Mag rankings at the time so you could even say Cleverly's beaten better fighters than Bellew himself.

The more I think about this, the more I think this should not be sanctioned as a world title fight AT ALL. And if Cleverly somehow manages to lose this then he should probably give up boxing and concentrate on Algebra or Pythagoras Theorem or something!

Courtney Fry is arguably better than anyone Bellew has faced.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:39 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:Actually in terms of the "punching hard" query I had to check out Bellew's record in detail. And apart from a list of bums he's not knocked out anyone worth mentioning. Only a 60% ish KO ratio as well. Only recently he beat a guy with a 9-21 record!

Courtney Fry is arguably better than anyone Bellew has faced.

Tony Oakey as well OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:Am i the only one that doesn't think Bellew hits that hard? the way he talks himself up you'd think he was some sort of Shavers

You’re not alone mate. I check it out a couple of weeks ago and it turns out he's knocked out 62% of the tomato cans he's fought.........Not exactly a right hand of doom stats.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3