The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

+21
sodhat
Union Cane
Scottrf
TopHat24/7
D4thincarnation
Lumbering_Jack
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Small Time
Jimmy Moz
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Steffan
Colonial Lion
BALTIMORA
The Galveston Giant
trottb
Adam D
eddyfightfan
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011 - Page 2 Empty 606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Afternoon guys

I recently had the chance to catch up with Tony Bellew ahead of his WBO Light-Heavyweight world title fight against Nathan Cleverly.

Spoiler:

'Bomber', as ever, seemed in confident mood, and regardless of what some think the outcome may be, you can't help but get excited by an all-British world title fight between two guys with a genuine dislike of each other, can you?

Many thanks to Tony for giving up some of his time in what is obviously a very busy period for him at the moment. He's a top bloke, and we wish him all the best for the biggest night of his career.

I put the following questions to Tony in this short interview:

Tony, first of all, congratulations on securing your first world title fight. It is great to have two unbeaten British fighters in an event of such magnitude...tell us what we can expect?

You can expect a great fight, my city will fill the stadium to the 10,000 capacity I'm sure! I have something in common with all 10,000 and that's that I'm a normal lad from Liverpool who just happens to be good at punching people in the face.

Particularly in his most recent fights, it has become clear that Cleverly tends to see the red mist descend when he gets tagged, sticking his chin out as if to show he isn't hurt, and then proceeding to get into a bit of a tear up. Do you think this apparent gung ho weakness in his game is something you can look to exploit?

I don't really concentrate too much on what he does, to be totally honest he is a one dimensional fighter! He is a bully fighter, I will say this, what happens when he fights someone he can't bully or push back?? Someone bigger and stronger than him?? He's yet to meet someone of that mould whereas I have my whole career.

You have shown us two very different styles recently, both boxing and brawling. Which do you feel is likely to be most effective against a fighter of Nathan Cleverly's style, in terms of negating his slight speed advantage, and the aforementioned tendency of Cleverly to get frustrated and start taking chances?

He'll take chances no matter what, like I said he knows no other way, as for will I box or fight?? I'll just say I have the ability to adjust, pre fight, mid fight! Anytime really, can he?? I'll do whatever it takes come October 15th, I know my hand will be raised in the end..

How much of a part do you expect a partisan Liverpool crowd to play in getting behind you for this fight and providing an intimidating atmosphere for Nathan?

If 10,000 scousers were screaming for your blood how would you feel?? He's going to get the worst reception he's ever heard or seen in his whole life! The crowd will help with the noise and hostility but make no mistake, when we get in that ring it's just me and him and that's where his real problems will really begin!

I know that some of our forum members have expressed an interest in going to this event, have you got any ticket news at this moment in time?

The tickets will be available really soon and for more ticket information just follow my Twitter page (@TonyBellew), I'll say this though, act quickly because the demand for tickets is huge!

You're both very inexperienced at this level, and therefore don't really know how you will handle the situation. Do you see the pressure affecting either of you, both positively or negatively, or is it just like any other fight to you?

Every fight is different and while the magnitude of this fight is far greater than any I have had in the past I still see it as being just another fight! I know his strengths and I know his weaknesses! Come the 15th I'll be looking to exploit the latter.

If you win, have you had any thoughts as to what would be your next move? We have heard talk of Bernard Hopkins at this early stage, though admittedly that would seem to be a hell of a step up for either of you at this stage in your careers.

I'll never call out Bernard Hopkins! He's a true legend in my eyes and someone I've studied from a young age, I don't claim to be on that level yet, I'm not ready for Dawson or Hopkins, when I beat Cleverly I'd like a defence and then a unification with Shumenov. I'm ready for one dimensional fighters who fight with their faces, and that's exactly what Cleverly is in my opinion.

I've heard some fans and pundits alike say that coming out throwing bombs from the start is your best chance of winning..what would be your response to that, and do you feel that some are under-estimating your evident boxing skills, as shown during your successful amateur career?

I can box going backwards and forwards, like I say I am not one dimensional! I'll do whatever I have to do to win the fight! People who think that's the only way I can win are going to be in for a real real shock!

Do you feel that you have talked your way into this title shot, as opposed to fought your way into it? There has always been genuine animosity between you and Cleverly, and that press conference before the last fight that was cancelled seemed to get the fans wanting the fight more than any other reason.

This fight is happening because I made it happen. That press conference in May was no coincidence! It's also happening exactly where I wanted it to happen too! Come October I'll also get what I want and that is the WBO title. Professional boxing is a business and you don't get what your worth, you get what you NEGOTIATE!

Any news on a rematch clause for this fight, should Nathan lose his title?

That is contract talk and that is confidential sorry, what I will say though is after I beat him he won't want to come anywhere near me, I also don't want to hear any excuses at all from him!

How is the weight at this moment in time, and how long have you been training for to date?

My weight was 13st yesterday so I'm well ahead of schedule in all honesty! I prepare diligently so that's never an issue, we leave no stone unturned.

What does your typical daily training routine consist of at this stage of the camp?

I train between two and three times a day, from track work to boxing work to tech work and to strength and conditioning work, too! I have learned so much over my career and I put all that experience to maximum use!

Is there anything you would like to say to the members at 606v2 forum and the UK boxing fans ahead of the fight?

Thank you for showing a genuine interest in me and supporting me, I really appreciate it and hope you all enjoy the fight.

We wish you the very best for the fight, and thanks very much for taking part in this short interview. It would be great to speak to you afterward too, win or lose.

Thanks for having me and don't worry about losing as the next time you'll hear from me I'll be the NEW WBO LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: 606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Steffan wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Bellew can box and stick to it. I'm not sure Cleverly can especially with Bellew winding him up

I am sure Cleverly can

Where's the proof because their is a bit of proof to suggest he is easy to draw into a scrap and easy to hit.

And, from my knowledge, zero evidence to suggest he can't hold a shot. Something that can't be said for Bellew. I normally like what you write on here kev but I honestly think you have some kind of strange blindspot where Bellew is concerned. He has fought absolutely no-one of any real class, the two people he has beaten that you could vaguely describe as "names", he struggled with at various times. Ajisafe and McKenzie both put him on the floor, Ajisafe arguably won their fight, and the second McKenzie fight just highlighted that Bellew has too much for a domestic level guy who he had no right being in a life and death struggle with first time out.

Sure, he got the wins, but his record is way inferior to Cleverly's and for my money, goes into this fight as a pretty sizeable underdog.

Cheers Tino. Very Happy
I'm not a massive fan of either and I think Cleverly is the more skilled of the 2 but I think Bellews antics and loud mouth has got to Cleverly. He does lose his cool quite easily. As for chins your right Cleverly has took some decent shots but the shots but I think it will become a scrap and that's Bellew's fight. I've always fancied Bellew to win this despite the fact I do think Cleverly is the better boxer.

As for records Bellews isn't as good as Cleverly's but the Welshman hasn't been mixing it at the top level his best win is Karo Murat so lets not get carried away.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: 606v2 Interview with Tony 'Bomber' Bellew September 2011

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Steffan wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Bellew can box and stick to it. I'm not sure Cleverly can especially with Bellew winding him up

I am sure Cleverly can

Where's the proof because their is a bit of proof to suggest he is easy to draw into a scrap and easy to hit.

And, from my knowledge, zero evidence to suggest he can't hold a shot. Something that can't be said for Bellew. I normally like what you write on here kev but I honestly think you have some kind of strange blindspot where Bellew is concerned. He has fought absolutely no-one of any real class, the two people he has beaten that you could vaguely describe as "names", he struggled with at various times. Ajisafe and McKenzie both put him on the floor, Ajisafe arguably won their fight, and the second McKenzie fight just highlighted that Bellew has too much for a domestic level guy who he had no right being in a life and death struggle with first time out.

Sure, he got the wins, but his record is way inferior to Cleverly's and for my money, goes into this fight as a pretty sizeable underdog.

Bob nearly won the fight, I'm not sure what fight you were watching. I do however find it alarming that he can be dropped with ease when fighting people who do not hit hard at all. It is disgusting that this fight is for a world title. Bellew to get iced is 6 one sided rounds.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I am sure Cleverly can

Cheers Tino. Very Happy
I'm not a massive fan of either and I think Cleverly is the more skilled of the 2 but I think Bellews antics and loud mouth has got to Cleverly. He does lose his cool quite easily. As for chins your right Cleverly has took some decent shots but the shots but I think it will become a scrap and that's Bellew's fight. I've always fancied Bellew to win this despite the fact I do think Cleverly is the better boxer.

As for records Bellews isn't as good as Cleverly's but the Welshman hasn't been mixing it at the top level his best win is Karo Murat so lets not get carried away.

Bellews best win is against Bon Ajisafe, who cant punch yet still dropped him. I think this will end up being a total mismatch.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I am sure Cleverly can

Bob nearly won the fight, I'm not sure what fight you were watching. I do however find it alarming that he can be dropped with ease when fighting people who do not hit hard at all. It is disgusting that this fight is for a world title. Bellew to get iced is 6 one sided rounds.

It's not just Bellew though because lets face it Cleverly is in a position that happens far to often now- he's a World champion without ever beating a World class fighter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:11 pm

Very nice work Fists of Fury!

Should be a great fight.

Bellew makes a lot of sense, Cleverly looked out of sorts against Mohammedi, and struggled with his ellusive style.

Bellew showed he can box as well as brawl in the 2nd McKenzie fight, where he won almost every round to win by a wide UD.

With the right diciplined gameplan Bellew can cause an upset.

Bellew doesn't like Cleverly superior attitude, thinking he is better than everyone else because of his degree. I agree with him can't stand people like who think because they got this education or that job they are better than you.

Ironically for all of Cleverly smarts outside the ring it will be the smarts inside the ring that counts and I think Bellew will have the edge here.

Should be a great domestic clash, definitely looking forward to this one.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:37 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Very nice work Fists of Fury!

Should be a great fight.

Bellew makes a lot of sense, Cleverly looked out of sorts against Mohammedi, and struggled with his ellusive style.

Bellew showed he can box as well as brawl in the 2nd McKenzie fight, where he won almost every round to win by a wide UD.

Bellew doesn't like Cleverly superior attitude, thinking he is better than everyone else because of his degree. I agree with him can't stand people like who think because they got this education or that job they are better than you.

Ironically for all of Cleverly smarts outside the ring it will be the smarts inside the ring that counts and I think Bellew will have the edge here.

He got a 2:2, pretty rubbish really.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

Should be a great fight.

If Bellew is upset by Cleverly having a degree then more fool him. Perhaps he should concern himself with what Cleverly does inside the ring rather than what education he has received. That says more about Bellew's mental fragility than anything else. Perhaps I am being naive, but are people really that impressed or bothered by educational achievements (sorry TRUSS).

Bellew can cause an upset, of course he can but he is going to have to perform well above anything he has shown so far. Sure, Cleverly struggled with Mohammedi, but lets face it, who wouldn't? Bellew is hardly elusive is the same manner as Mohammedi anyway. It is hardly fair to pick up on that performance and not highlight that Bellew struggled with Ajisafe and McKenzie first time round. Bellew did show he can box during the second fight, but it was blooming Ovil McKenzie, not Jean Pascal or Chad Dawson.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:57 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Should be a great fight.

He got a 2:2, pretty rubbish really.

In maths though, it's not exactly media studies! And from a decent institution too (Cardiff) not some bum former poly like Keele and the like...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

Looks like DeGale on undercard.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

Should be a great fight.

If Bellew is upset by Cleverly having a degree then more fool him. Perhaps he should concern himself with what Cleverly does inside the ring rather than what education he has received. That says more about Bellew's mental fragility than anything else. Perhaps I am being naive, but are people really that impressed or bothered by educational achievements (sorry TRUSS).

If your going for an office job maybe but irrelevant when it comes to punching someone in the face!

Bellew only seems to have one advantage over Clev and that's power. Even then in his first fight against Ovil (only the 2nd above club level fighter he's fought) he only shook him up but didn't spark him and was lucky in my opinion that the ref stepped in when he did as Bellew had been on the end of two much heavier knockdowns himself already without the ref stepping in. Clev has a better chin (Bellew's looks poor as just alluded too), Clev is faster and Clev has better boxing skills.

Forget this rubbish about Bellew showing he was able to 'box' and stay out of a brawl last time out, the way he talked about his performance you'd think he was Sugar Ray Robinson! At the end of the day Ovil turned up for a pay-cheque and never engaged leaving Bellew an easy nights work.

Combined with Bellew being a horrible chavvy scouse rat I really hope he get his arris handed to him, hopefully showing up this 'title fight' for the embarrassment it is.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

If your going for an office job maybe but irrelevant when it comes to punching someone in the face!

Bellew only seems to have one advantage over Clev and that's power. Even then in his first fight against Ovil (only the 2nd above club level fighter he's fought) he only shook him up but didn't spark him and was lucky in my opinion that the ref stepped in when he did as Bellew had been on the end of two much heavier knockdowns himself already without the ref stepping in. Clev has a better chin (Bellew's looks poor as just alluded too), Clev is faster and Clev has better boxing skills.

Forget this rubbish about Bellew showing he was able to 'box' and stay out of a brawl last time out, the way he talked about his performance you'd think he was Sugar Ray Robinson! At the end of the day Ovil turned up for a pay-cheque and never engaged leaving Bellew an easy nights work.

Combined with Bellew being a horrible chavvy scouse rat I really hope he get his arris handed to him, hopefully showing up this 'title fight' for the embarrassment it is.

Agreed. Kind of what I was saying, only with slightly less venom than you!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

Agreed. Kind of what I was saying, only with slightly less venom than you!

I beg to differ regarding Bellew's own personality. In that press conference he obviously came across that way, as it was his chance to talk his way into a fight, but I have seen several interviews, several comments of his on his Twitter account, and of course my own interaction with him, that have made me realise that he is indeed a very nice bloke, his heart is in the right place, and he is very accomodating for the fans.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

You dont win 3 ABA titles without being able to box. Giving Bellew a slight unjust there.

I was not bothered who wins this fight orginally but with all the anti scouse trash being posted on here I hope he smashes Clevs face in shuts all his haters up.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

I personally don't have too much of an issue with his mouth, or do I care where he hails from, just the rather flimsy and transparent arguments that D4 proffered.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

You dont win 3 ABA titles without being able to box. Giving Bellew a slight unjust there.

I was not bothered who wins this fight orginally but with all the anti scouse trash being posted on here I hope he smashes Clevs face in shuts all his haters up.

Soldier, I haven't ever said he can't box, in fact on a previous thread I actually made the point you have quite rightly raised about his amateur pedigree, it was more the fact that his win over Ovil McKenzie is being hailed by D4 as somehow highlighting his advantages over Cleverly.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I personally don't have too much of an issue with his mouth

Me neither. It will be shut soon enough

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:44 am

Bellew may be loud and abrassive but Cleverly is smug and comes accross like he thinks because he has a degree he thinks he is better than people. Hope Bellew brings him down a peg or 2.

Cleverly stated yesterday he only wants to have 6 more fights after this. He hasn't even fought a top fighter yet his attitude is poor.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

Really?? If that is true, then that is bizarre to say the least.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

prettyboykev wrote:Bellew may be loud and abrassive but Cleverly is smug and comes accross like he thinks because he has a degree he thinks he is better than people. Hope Bellew brings him down a peg or 2.

This is all subjective though kev. I genuinely don't get that impression from Cleverly, nor do I really find Bellew all that crass. They are what they are and neither of them illicit that much emotion in me. I am just looking at the cold hard facts, and Bellew is a big underdog in this fight.

I don't really care who wins, but if we are going on records and what they have shown so far in their respective careers then Bellew has some work to do win his "world" title.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

All this 'Cleverly is smug and comes across like he thinks because he has a degree he thinks he is better than people' is rubbish. He grew up in a working class area, went to a school not exactly renowned for its good education, progressed and gained a 2:2 in Maths from Cardiff University

Its called achievement fellas. Bellew is just jealous and trying to play the working class hero v the posh boy rubbish. Well sorry to burst your bubble Tony but the Clev is just as common as you. Iv not seen anything that makes he seem to think he is better than other people. I guy I used to work with knows him well and said hes always been a nice lad

Dont believe the hype

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

Steffan wrote:All this 'Cleverly is smug and comes across like he thinks because he has a degree he thinks he is better than people' is rubbish. He grew up in a working class area, went to a school not exactly renowned for its good education, progressed and gained a 2:2 in Maths from Cardiff University

Its called achievement fellas. Bellew is just jealous and trying to play the working class hero v the posh boy rubbish. Well sorry to burst your bubble Tony but the Clev is just as common as you. Iv not seen anything that makes he seem to think he is better than other people. I guy I used to work with knows him well and said hes always been a nice lad

Dont believe the hype

Steff I believe you cos your so impartial Rolling Eyes

Clev does come accross as smug. I reckon he likes to smell his own farts

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Steffan wrote:All this 'Cleverly is smug and comes across like he thinks because he has a degree he thinks he is better than people' is rubbish. He grew up in a working class area, went to a school not exactly renowned for its good education, progressed and gained a 2:2 in Maths from Cardiff University

Dont believe the hype

I may be bias to Clev but I still appreciate the fact any fighter goes to uni and then becomes a top fighter. Especially one from a working class area like myself

Bellew is Jekyll & Hyde to be fair. One minute he comes across as a nice guy...next minute he is acting like a psychopath

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Dont believe the hype

laughing Great south park episode, that one!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:

Dont believe the hype

laughing Great south park episode, that one!

Dont encourage him Fists 🤦

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Dont believe the hype

Nobody minds the smell of their own brew though....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

But amateurs and pros are very different games (hello Audley Harrison) and Bellew has never shown any boxing skills in the pro ranks. As I said, he talked up his last performance like it was a masterclass but it was barely above average. Admittedly I've only seen him in fight build ups and interviews but he has always come across a gobby tw@t with nothing to back it up and exemplifies the negative scouse stereotype.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

Clev is gonna bust up Bellew bad. Its gonna be a perfect example of the educated working class triumphing over the under-educated working class. Stand up to a chav and they always back down

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

But amateurs and pros are very different games (hello Audley Harrison) and Bellew has never shown any boxing skills in the pro ranks. As I said, he talked up his last performance like it was a masterclass but it was barely above average. Admittedly I've only seen him in fight build ups and interviews but he has always come across a gobby tw@t with nothing to back it up and exemplifies the negative scouse stereotype.

You couldn't pick a worst boxer to compare against. Harrison who doesn’t actually like to fight compared to Bellew who loves to. I have said nothing about the McKenzie fight, its wasn't the greatest specticle but he got the job done with a very convincing UD.

Bellew has had to build the fight up. Cos to be fair would the fight even be happening if they both respected each other? The fight only got made because of the press conference bust up. Bellew has had to play the pantomime villain and act like this to get people interested in this fight. Like you for example as you want to see him get his ar$e handed to him.

So it does slightly grape me when people start to throw in the gobby scouse tw@t line when he's only doing what boxers have done for years to sell fights.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/multimedia/sport/sport/video/2011/09/06/tony-bellew-nathan-cleverly-face-off-ahead-of-wbo-light-heavyweight-clash-at-the-liverpool-echo-arena-100252-29373130/

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

Great quote from Bellew :

"While I can't stand the sight of his chops and I can't stand some of the clobber he wears, I don't let it get personal."
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

Union Cane wrote:Great quote from Bellew :

"While I can't stand the sight of his chops and I can't stand some of the clobber he wears, I don't let it get personal."

Picking on his clothes...this one's going to get catty.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wkb-QbnR4c

Good interview with Bellew.

Home advantage could prove decisive in this fight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wkb-QbnR4c

Whilst I'm sure Truss would agree with you, I think talent will be the deciding factor. It's the big KO win or nothing for Bellew, it's only at the Echo as that'll make the most money - packed out with scouse fanatics and close enough to Wales for a decent contingent to venture up. The crowd will be hostile but as long as Clev has a comfortable first couple of rounds the noise will fade into the background as he hands out a boxing lesson.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Whilst I'm sure Truss would agree with you, I think talent will be the deciding factor. It's the big KO win or nothing for Bellew, it's only at the Echo as that'll make the most money - packed out with scouse fanatics and close enough to Wales for a decent contingent to venture up. The crowd will be hostile but as long as Clev has a comfortable first couple of rounds the noise will fade into the background as he hands out a boxing lesson.

Why is Clev the new Sugar Ray now? Think he is being put on too high of a pedistal here.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Why is Clev the new Sugar Ray now? Think he is being put on too high of a pedistal here.

I don't think anyone is claiming he is Sugar Ray, but he has beaten a far better level of opponent than Bellew and hasn't looked vulnerable around the whiskers as yet. I have said it before, but for me, even Countney Fry is better than anything Bellew has beaten, let alone Brancalion and Murat.

I have absolutely no favourite in this fight, but just looking at it in the cold light of day, I can't see anything in Bellew's record to suggest that he is anything more than a fairly live underdog.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

The only time I've mentioned Sugar Ray was when describing Bellew's delusional assessment of his own performance in McKenzie II.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

The only time I've mentioned Sugar Ray was when describing Bellew's delusional assessment of his own performance in McKenzie II.

Dont think see said it was like Sugar Ray esq. Think your makin a mountain there

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:17 pm

It is clear Bellew doesn't think he is Sugar Ray-esque, look on what he said about Hopkins and how he doesn't think he is ready to fight the likes of Hopkins and Dawson as yet.

Cleverly does rate himself higher than he is. He, just like Bellew can't mix it with the top in the division as yet.

Bellew is right in what he says, that Cleverly is one dimensional, but sometime that one dimension is enough.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

well, well wasn't a short visit after all......

welcome back anyway..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I am sure Cleverly can

Against opposition that posed more of a threat than Bellew though........and he came through it easily enough. Against Mckenzie he was allowed to box, your quite right, but Clev isn't exactley Ovil Mckenzie......meaning he's not going to plod forward swinging for the trees hoping against hope to land something big.

Are any of you gents going down to the bookies to place a cheeky 5 spot on a Bellew win?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

Probs check out the odds first. See what they are for a KO

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:27 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Should be a great fight.

Calm down lad calm down!!!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:31 pm

Genuine 50/50 fight, still fancy Cleverly to win it though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

Liam_Main wrote:Genuine 50/50 fight, still fancy Cleverly to win it though.

Based on Clev's level of opponent being a lot better and the fact that Bellew has looked average in his last 3 outings I fail to see how this is a 50/50.

Last edited by Small Time on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling issue's :S)

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

Unless Bellew's power can translate to the top level then I fail to see where on earth Bellew can win this fight. He's an inferior boxer in every way. Even if Cleverly takes a big hit then he's got a decent chin to ride it out. Unless Clevery comes in underprepared or gets totally reckless then it's an easy win for Clev. Easy.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:12 pm

Cant see Bellew winning this one, Cleverly another class

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

Am i the only one that doesn't think Bellew hits that hard? the way he talks himself up you'd think he was some sort of Shavers

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

Hi Dave, I see you're a new member, welcome!

How'd you hear about us?

I have Clev winning too, however it should provide some entertainment for sure!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:Am i the only one that doesn't think Bellew hits that hard? the way he talks himself up you'd think he was some sort of Shavers

Agreed. Have been saying this for a while on here. He has knocked over a few people but absolutely no-one of any class.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Thu 08 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

tommyhearnsprodigalson wrote:Am i the only one that doesn't think Bellew hits that hard? the way he talks himself up you'd think he was some sort of Shavers

Agreed. Have been saying this for a while on here. He has knocked over a few people but absolutely no-one of any class.

Sorry if you've already said that on this thread but i've been looking at his record on boxrec and the people he's been "bombing out" and i'd probably say that if anything they're probably on par with each other in power terms

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next