The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware the inspired Springbok!

+8
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
offload
doctornickolas
emack2
Taylorman
OzT
Cymroglan
Biltong
12 posters

Go down

Beware the inspired Springbok! Empty Beware the inspired Springbok!

Post by Biltong Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 22:32

Over the past few months the Springboks had to endure an inordinate amount of criticism from fans, the media and overseas coaches. Admittedly a lot of it was deserved.

From the unconventional preparation where Pieter de Villiers sent a wildly inexperienced team to the away leg of the Tri Nations, to the controversy of injured players in Rustenburg.

Overall from the outside it seemed that the springbok preparation for the world cup had to be flawed, not enough game time for the first choice players, to the always criticised game plan.

Ex players, pundits and commentators were never far from adding to the fueling fire.

Scott Gibbs
“There's more rhythm and momentum in the Welsh camp, and certainly more harmony."
“I think South Africa as a rugby side have been regressing for the last 18 months and they're certainly not improving as a team,"
"They are a confident nation and... notwithstanding they are in a low ebb of form and haven't had a great Tri-Nations, they're still very confident they can retain this World Cup," Gibbs added.
"I just don't buy into that confidence and when you look at the body-language of the players during the Tri-Nations and certainly last year's winter internationals, they don't look like a world championship side.

Warren Gatland
“SA doesn’t play much rugby.”

There are a number of other examples to quote, but the essence of the perception is that this team is old, tired, out of ideas and simply not capable of defending their title.

Perhaps the best clue for where the springboks are currently is to listen to what they have to say.

Dick Muir:
“We are definitely picking up that they are in the mood to take our scalps," Muir smiled wryly.
"I think the end-of-year matches in Cardiff need to been seen in the right perspective," Muir said. "We tend to be under-strength on those tours because it is the end of a long year for us and fatigue and injuries have taken their toll."
We would love to be playing flamboyant rugby but is not a reality in World Cups. It is about winning at the end of the day, nobody recalls the tries or lack thereof."

Victor Matfield
"As for Wales, we are taking their threat very seriously. This is a huge game for us and we have been focusing on it for ages," Matfield said. "We have put a lot of things in place for this game and hopefully we can get everything right on the day."

Bakkies Botha
“John is the best captain I have ever played under and he will lead us out against Wales on Sunday, and no player in our squad doubts that this is the right thing for the team,"
It has not been easy for him, and the way he has dealt with it has resulted in us discovering even greater respect for him," he said.
"John has risen above the criticism, and it is amazing to us that he is able to keep it at arm's length and keeps grinding away at his job of lifting his teammates.
"John is not in it for himself - he is in it for the Springboks. People outside our circle do not realise the difference he makes. All the time he is boosting players around him.
"He is the best leader we have. My admiration for him after all these years continues to grow,"

Butch James
"It feels pretty similar [to 2007]. There's the same vibe around the team and we know the guys are excited and have got that quiet belief deep inside of going all the way. Just like we did in 2007."

Jaque Fourie
"I think they've got a new approach. They've got a new defence system. They're rushing up quite quickly and putting teams under pressure and they're putting a lot of heat on the rucks. So we just need to stick to what's been working for us and we need to do that even better. We need to handle that rush defence, get quick ball and go forward and like I say we are not going to do anything different to what we've done for the past four years."

Bryan Habana
“We are here for a task,” he said.
“First of all it is to beat Wales on Sunday, and hopefully win the next six games to win the World Cup.

The squad that has been announced is the most experienced Springbok team ever to represent South Africa, a total of 817 caps in the run on team. If I were a springbok having to don the jersey on Sunday, after having to listen to all and sundry criticising my coach, my captain, my team, my game plan, I would be one highly motivated individual to stick it up everyones back side.

So a fair warning to Wales, this team must be as fed up and motivated as you could possibly hope to be, they have been written off, under estimated and effectively been told that they do not have what it takes to defend their crown, a very dangerous thing to say to a South African.

I personally think that these men have taken as much of it as they possibly can stomach, and someone is going to feel the wrath of that frustration.

If you listen to each of those players, they are fully aware of what Wales are going to throw at them, they know what they must do, and they believe in themselves, each other and the job at hand.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Beware the inspired Springbok! Empty Re: Beware the inspired Springbok!

Post by Cymroglan Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 22:37

Well what did you expect them to say ?

And if they spend all day reading this site maybe they would like to take party in a QA session

Just a thought.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 22:43

Now wouldn't that be a great idea.

I would love to be able to be a fly on the wall in the springbok change rooms, perhaps then we will actually know what is going on.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 0:25

Think you'd hear much what you've said above, biltong

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 1:13

This is the biggest match of this round but what an awful time locally. Sunday night at 8.30pm. I dont think Ive ever seen a test match at that time.

What sort of margin are you picking here Biltong? I'm not sure yet and might have a stab at it once the opening euphoria and match are over tonight (the match which starts now in 8hrs and 18 mins! exactly!!)

Can't believe its finally here... I'm like aucklandLaurie, feels like christmas day and all my pressies have come at once...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 2:24

Wales,on there best day may just beat The Boks on there worse day,but
law of probabilities says no.Most of the comments above are predictable,only a fool would deny the boks have a very good squad.
No side will have an easier runto the final than the Boks 2007.BUT that was`nt there fault,you can only beat whats in front of you.
Did the Boks win because of an inspired coach?or was it a case of a Great team of players getting the job done.
Jake Whites record suggests the latter,many of the 2007 side are still there
could they do it for themselves too,despite PDV.Or whoever the REAL coach is.
When you talk of fans criticising there results,which have been patchy at best.Biltong you yourself have been amongst there worst critics,before you react.I KNOW that was against the management of,NOT the TEAM,you will agree I hope.THAT I have not bad mouthed them,I have far too much respect for the Boks.
It is interesting that the team that is closest to them is actually Australia not the All Blacks.
The thing is,there is no way I can see the Boks failing to reach the next round,even if they fail to win the group.
Referees will decide this RWC,Head hunting tackles and strict observance of the offside laws.
Will effect most sides,the rush/scramble defence will be negated to a large extent.
Expect armless tackles,high tackles,late/early/offball tackles to collect cards.
Scrum collapses,squint feeds,illegal binding,and strict policing of breakdowns.
Would mean players like Broussow,Pockok,and McCaw conceding a lot of penalties in this area.
Jonny Wilkinson .Morne Steyn,and co will have a field day.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 7:17

I hope you're wrong emack

I would hate this world cup to be remembered for all the penalties rather than the tries.

The IRB would have egg on their faces if that was the case as a result of them putting pressure on the refs.

sadly though you see it in the Soccer WC where FiFA decide that the start of a WC finals is good time to make sure refs penalise everything and give cards for nothing. Usually resulting in players sent off for trivial things and the spectator being short changed when that player gets a ban.

Lets hope not.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 7:30

Biltong, nice article thanks.

With all the debate about the Bok preparations and their 3N performances the mood in Wales improved, particularly with a couple of decent performances in our own build up. Now with the teams announced I look at SA and all I see is a very experienced and complete team and am reminded that they're not world champions for nothing. This is certainly the game of the weekend and should be a cracker. I think the Bok we have too much for us but I hope we put in a performance, stay in contention and come out with no injuries.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 7:35

Morning offload, when i wrote this I was a bit in a frustrated mindspace and thought how the players must be feeling, I know I have been fighting the cause for the Boks and perhaps at times too viceforously, but hell I am sure they will be ready.

Either way it will be a cracking game, as you say the match of the weekend. Although I think the england vs Argentina match will be competitive too.

I expect the Dragons to try and emulate the Aussies in their last test vs the All Blacks, and we do what the All Blacks oppose so often but did so succesfully in that second half.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 8:55

Theres a marked difference between the disrespectful abuse sides get from Gatland before games and the stuff coming out oif SA where tehy are exgareatting the threat of Wales in a desperate attempt to pretend this is a massive game for them and that they are taking it as seriosuly as they would a Tri Nations decider againt New Zealand ( or any match against England where of course they always raise their game Whistle )

Gatlands atempts to get in the oppositions head and engage in psychological warfare whilst on occassion helps stoke interest and fuel fan interest do get a bit embaressing at times.
The pre match press conferece with P Divvy and Gatland could end up resembling a WWE promo in a war to see who can say the most ridiculous things.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 8:59

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote: Theres a marked difference between the disrespectful abuse sides get from Gatland before games and the stuff coming out oif SA where tehy are exgareatting the threat of Wales in a desperate attempt to pretend this is a massive game for them and that they are taking it as seriosuly as they would a Tri Nations decider againt New Zealand ( or any match against England where of course they always raise their game Whistle )

Gatlands atempts to get in the oppositions head and engage in psychological warfare whilst on occassion helps stoke interest and fuel fan interest do get a bit embaressing at times.
The pre match press conferece with P Divvy and Gatland could end up resembling a WWE promo in a war to see who can say the most ridiculous things.

It might just turn out rather embarressing for both group of fans.

Gatland" you don't play any rugby"
PDV " well at least we don't do ballet"
Gatland " well, you'll look stupid in a tutu"
PDV " yeah, and you'll look great in one"
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:00

Biltongbek.....a different point please....how will Burger go as he has been out for some time I believe? And what do you think of Du Plessis being on the bench as apparently he is rated the no.1 hooker in the world by many pundits?

Cheers and enjoy the action.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:04

hugehandoff, I must admit I am a little concerned seeing that he has had no game time, but he nirmally doesn't struggle with getting into the game, he is one of those players that always seems match ready.

Bismarck might be a little frustrated, he was not impressed when he was taken off after 60 minutes against the All BLacks, his facial expression said it all, he revels in the hard stuff and you could see he was very dissappointed.

But I think he knows that his impact off the bench is enormous and in another 7 tests he will be the number 1 choice hooker for the next 5-7 years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:05

Yes I fear that Wales are going to come up against an extremely powerful and motivated Boks team who will fud them up. I strongly suspect it's going to be a very long day for Wales.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:08

mckay1402 wrote:Yes I fear that Wales are going to come up against an extremely powerful and motivated Boks team who will fud them up. I strongly suspect it's going to be a very long day for Wales.

But on their day they can beat anyone

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:09

I really don't understand Gatland, all his attempts at wind-ups seem to be own goals.

It looks a strong SA side, and they are obviously motivated. I guess the only hope for Wales is that it takes SA a while to gel. However, the Wales side is more experimental than the SA one. If Wales do win, it will be a hell of an achievement.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:10

It will be interesting to see how Burger goes as Wales have a decent back row these days. Big respect to him if he can come straight in and play to the required standard. I imagine he will be subbed earlier than later, which would only be fair.

Smith must be an inspirational captain to keep Du Plessis out, but it is the job of the manager to keep the squad all happy which is vital for successful tournaments and tours. If Du Plessis and others can put the team first above their own interests then SA will go far. Jason Leonard famously was a good squad man on the 97 Lions tour when he was fancied to get a starting berth (and didn't) and it is that attitude that is so important to the whole squad pulling for each other.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 11:12

i think despite the clown of a coach south africa can do very well. also have a cheeky bet on them and drew them in the office sweepstake Smile

a massive talented experienced pack of forwards, a world class scrum half and pace out wide and two solid centres.

They will take some beating.

any side with can leave schalk brits at home must be a serious team

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down