The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa Wales - match thread

+58
fa0019
bedfordwelsh
wales606
BATH_BTGOG
emack2
Coltnet
munkian
Knowsit17
ML
welshy824
Thomond
westisbest
Bullsbok
JDizzle
Standulstermen
disneychilly
flyhalffactory
Goosestepper
kiakahaaotearoa
Cowshot
Smirnoffpriest
Otagolad
D24tress
PJHolybloke
mckay1402
EnglishReign
TheGreyGhost
nathan
eirebilly
B91212
BigTrevsbigmac
MrFahrenheit
LondonTiger
lostinwales
FerN
GunsGerms
scoi
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
WillyGilly
rugbywhales
valjester
Mad for Chelsea
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Pal Joey
Notch
Submachine
Glas a du
Shifty
screamingaddabs
HammerofThunor
Cari
Cymroglan
Ozzy3213
majesticimperialman
TBJ9625
Biltong
Taylorman
Gatts
62 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 11 Empty South Africa Wales - match thread

Post by Gatts Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Well my comments today about the mighty 'W' and the performances of the minnow sides have obviously caused some controversy. I wouldn't be Gats if I didn't prod the opposition occasionally, usually just before a big game.

I for one loved watching Japan's bushido approach to tackling and Romania's scrummaging, it only served to highlight the soulless nature of the professional era when contrasted against the big teams seemingly inept but effective closing out. Namibia outplaying fiji for long periods and as for Argentina they played like warrior poets and i know all about them.
It reminded me of the good old days when giants could be slain and perhaps all these teases will finally come to fruition tonight when a new Welsh breed takes on the might of Bok experience . I am a romantic at heart, Tommo's kiss was old school class, the way we used to get under the oppo skin before tmo and yellow cards. But that era is gone, Wales played on passion alone for years and that, in my view and in hindsight, was our biggest problem. Gatland, a Kiwi and therefore fundamentally unable to get the significance of rugby in Wales, comes form a place where, clearly , rugby is life. That is a beautiful thing that we are all lucky enough to share in. I pity those that never pulled on the shirt, smelt the ralgex, bled and bought your opposite number a jug.
Gatland stumbled over the transition of Wales from a team that had to play offload catch up in the last third, to a team that is within a few hours going to play a game which may define how we progress for years to come. i know they can win but history tells us they can't.

Its now or never. No more talk. Bring on the boks and may the best team win.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 11 Empty Re: South Africa Wales - match thread

Post by Thomond Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

GreyGhost,stop acting the maggot.

A great game and both sides were magnificent. I had Wales by two on Sportsguru,FFS Priestland!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 11 Empty Re: South Africa Wales - match thread

Post by Cari Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

Well I'm proud of that performance. They really fronted up to the current world champions. That penalty kick is the only disappointment for me. Should've gone to TMO.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

WORKS FOR ME!

SA will struggle v Samoa but this prob means we are runners up and that means NO NZ!!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

It was so funny - when Francois Hougard scored his try my whole neighborhood roared, it sounded like a lion. But ya, the Springboks did look a bit dodgy, and FdP had an awful game. Probably his worst I have ever seen.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

How could a TMO see better from the cameras than the assistant refs standing under the posts. They can easily see whether the ball curved before or after the posts. A TMO couldn't

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

AlynDavies wrote:
MrFahrenheit wrote:So frustrating. With Hook at 10 and Lydiate left at home we'd have won by ten. We were the better team for most of it.

Gatland's selection strategy lost us the game.

Lydiate was magnificent today, and Hook is prone to gifting intercept passes to blitz defences. Gatland was probably right, though maybe switching Priestland and Hook around for the last 20 might of made the difference.

I have come to the conclusion Mr F that you are a WUM
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:23 am

I tell you what though...by next year's 6 Nations we could be deadly...only retirement i can think of is Shane

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:23 am

cant believe that, saffers really didnt deserve to win, some of those players are dirty players, saw burger punch warburton in the head and saw one SA player kick one welsh player in the head.

wales played excellently, priestland played well and lydiate was a beast, wales really deserved that win i am actually devastated.

(not moaning but did anyone else think the ref blocked a tackler for the second SA try??)

and while talking about refs i really feel they need to be tighter on the scrums and at the breakdown- so many missed penalties i felt in that match.

and well done to wales again put their all but negative rugby wins again =(

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

Wonder to what extent our lack of bench factored

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

HammerofThunor wrote:How could a TMO see better from the cameras than the assistant refs standing under the posts. They can easily see whether the ball curved before or after the posts. A TMO couldn't

They were just looking at each other Barnes made the decision.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

Some pretty good comments on the ITV aftermatch so far - prob the best I've seen tournament to date.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

welshy824 wrote:cant believe that, saffers really didnt deserve to win, some of those players are dirty players, saw burger punch warburton in the head and saw one SA player kick one welsh player in the head.

wales played excellently, priestland played well and lydiate was a beast, wales really deserved that win i am actually devastated.

(not moaning but did anyone else think the ref blocked a tackler for the second SA try??)

and while talking about refs i really feel they need to be tighter on the scrums and at the breakdown- so many missed penalties i felt in that match.

Bugger off with your loser mentality !! Accept defeat properly
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

welshy824 wrote:and while talking about refs i really feel they need to be tighter on the scrums and at the breakdown- so many missed penalties i felt in that match

You are talking about penalties missed against Wales, yeah?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Bad luck wales. Top effort.
The drop and hooks penalty miss were the two chances given away.
SA were very lucky to win this.
I hope the missed penalty in first half isnt the focus. The ball went over the top of the post and swung in after passing it.

With the remaining matches wales may now struggle to qualify. Samoa will fancy their chances against either.

Good match though. Well done wales. SA?

Just enough but hardly convincing in terms of the defence. But a wins a win theyll tell us. And theyd be right. Plus they have another game under their belt. A good tough one as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

HammerofThunor have you had a row with thy wife Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

Cari wrote:Well I'm proud of that performance. They really fronted up to the current world champions. That penalty kick is the only disappointment for me. Should've gone to TMO.

don't think TMO would have helped that much. The assistant refs are in the best position to judge those, always have been. TMO is tough because if it goes above post height (which this did) you have the old 3D on a flat screen problem. To me it looked like it curled back after going wide...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

While it was an encouraging performance, I really felt we could have gone for the win, that's the difference these confident young players are having on the team, I hope they build from this now and really take it to Fiji and Samoa.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFahrenheit Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

"Lydiate was magnificent today, and Hook is prone to gifting intercept passes to blitz defences. Gatland was probably right, though maybe switching Priestland and Hook around for the last 20 might of made the difference."

If you ignore the three penalties Lydiate conceded, and spilling the ball twice, and the missed tackle on Brussow, then he had an okay game. Top international back rowers just don't make that many mistakes though.

Priestland was alright, but he suffers from the Llanelli curse of being a 10 that can't kick the ball very far. His drop goal attempt brought back visions of Arthur Emyr.

Still, after the first 20 mins, Wales looked very physical - so maybe we can bully the Aussies off the ball and make the semis!

MrFahrenheit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

oh here we go, c'mon lads, let's keep it sensible.

Wales are hurting, but credit to SA for grinding out the win at the end,.

Hammer - for the TMO he get's more than one camera shot at the posts, you never know he could have seen something. Would have been worth a shot anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

Thunor - they weren't looking that's the problem. It wouldn't have done any harm to go to the TMO to confirm the decision is all I'm saying. If TMO says it wasn't allowed then fair enough, but even the pundits in the studio are saying it looked like it went over.

Anyway, brilliant performance, and Warbs is MOTM. Well deserved.

South Africa will not be winning it again this year either.

Awh Wagga looks gutted. I'm going to blub! Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Cari on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

You know what I'm leaving this thread. Bad losers are just going to tear the Welsh lads to shreds when they played their hearts out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

The ball went over the top and swung did it Taylorman?

Where were you sitting on the stadium roof!

no one can authoritatively say what the course of that ball, I will accept ref decision don't patronise mate

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

Bullsbok wrote:
welshy824 wrote:cant believe that, saffers really didnt deserve to win, some of those players are dirty players, saw burger punch warburton in the head and saw one SA player kick one welsh player in the head.

Mmmmm - and you could be a little more gracious in victory too

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Some pretty good comments on the ITV aftermatch so far - prob the best I've seen tournament to date.
I agree. Agree with what Thomas said regarding Wales getting a pat on the back for nearly winning against the top nations. I think they need to change that mentality in order for them to win these games.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

Proud of the display, truly sickened by the result.

Only 3 more points would have done it Crying or Very sad

I'm just torn as to what to say...We took them through hell undoubtedly but should have scored more. With the amount of possession, territory and breaks we had you just have to question the old clichéd clinical edge more than ever.

So close, so f@+&ing close.

I'll muster the strength to say it once though, well done SA. Do NOT ask me to do that again.

Last edited by Knowsit17 on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

Wayne Barnes is one of the top 5 country and western singers of all time
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

Gatts wrote:WORKS FOR ME!

SA will struggle v Samoa but this prob means we are runners up and that means NO NZ!!!
gatts. Too premature for that sort of thinking. Samoa stand between you and qualifying now.
In hamilton they will have half of samoa behind them- literally. After oz win the tickets for that match were snapped up.

Wales lost it in the end through rushing things. The droppie and knock ons near the line. Didnt hold the type of composure needed to close the match out. Rushed things.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

last welsh penalty was undeserved , tackler never released the tackled man , Wayne Barnes almost screwed the Boks like he did NZ .Thank God for Bissy ,hougaard and Alberts!!
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

rugbydreamer wrote:You know what I'm leaving this thread. Bad losers are just going to tear the Welsh lads to shreds when they played their hearts out.

I agree! The lads gave everything for us, I'm so proud of them.
We have only beaten South Africa once in our history because their such a quality side. We made them look average today. you can't criticise any of our guys.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

I thought that ball curved in at the very last minute to be honest.
When he first struck the ball i thought no. then at the very last minute curve in.

I rearly thought Wales was going to win this game, SA did not look like they was even botherd to be honest.

Again well played Wales, the best game so far in the tournament.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Bullsbok wrote:last welsh penalty was undeserved , tackler never released the tackled man , Wayne Barnes almost screwed the Boks like he did NZ .Thank God for Bissy ,hougaard and Alberts!!

You won rejoice rejoice You know full well that the Welsh fans are hurting...... Why not concentrate on the posts that have congratulated South Africa on the win.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Well done South Africa. The big sides know how to win, especially in these tight world cup games. Wales were plucky and rasied their game well, but an off-form SA were a bit too good for them.

I think this might be Wales' world cup final though as they gave everything, played above themselves and came up short. I can see them losing out to Samoa after this disappointment.

Much to improve on for SA, like the other contenders for the world cup in the early games, but they'll get better.

Still can't see beyond the Big 5 for the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:41 am

ML wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Mmmmm - and you could be a little more gracious in victory too

yes. Id have thought so too. Even the most passionate SA supporter would have to agree SA were lucky. It was more a case of wales failing to close than SA holding out.
Theyd have to be concerned about their ability to defend the title with that effort as well. SA didnt control much of the match.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coltnet Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

As an Englishman I think that Wales were unlucky to lose today but the facts are that SA outscored them. I was really proud of them despite me being English. If thats allowed..!

Coltnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Coltnet wrote:As an Englishman I think that Wales were unlucky to lose today but the facts are that SA outscored them. I was really proud of them despite me being English. If thats allowed..!

Yes mate it's allowed there are a few of us genuine fans of the sport still left in this pro era

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

Just arisen from my bed,catching up on the results [after years working nights]my sleep pattern is weird .
Have three matches to watch,will comment later,but results so far.
Indicate there are no easy matches anymore which is excellent.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

Right I'm off to watch the Ospreys Vs Edinburugh, before going off to the Blues stadium to watch them spank Treviso!
http://s4c.tv/clic/e_level2.shtml?series_id=499901794

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

ML, we were lucky. But Barnes gave you an opportunity to get the lead back. The tackler never released the man at the last penalty. If only you had someone with Morne Steyn's kicking ability you would have won by 8 points.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

I don't ask this for this very often but in the face of such a great game can't everyone just man up? No attempts to sprinkle salt on each other, no devaluing each other's side like bitter children.

I honestly feel so bad that it would be all too eas to get myself mixed up in a badmouthing session but I've acknowledged and congratulated SA for winning and personally do not think they cheated to do it. As I said I am livid at the final score and believed we should have won but how can I not?

All that is asked is the same gallantry shown by those bothering to make the effort, whatever side you were supporting today. I would ask the mods to adopt a zero tolerance attitude towards those who insist on embarrassing themselves and their fellow fans.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Cut out the bickering and the petty personal stuff everyone. That was too good a game for some of the tripe that's followed it.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Morning Alyn mate.................. Superb match, hope you take the positives out of that match and get the quarter final spot.

One thing about the "crazy mazy I'm a a bit Hook hazy" world of Mr Fs mind is that Lydiate does seem to be prone to giving away penalties.

I have to put my hand up here and say I was wrong about Faletau ............... he was superb today

Hi flyhalffactory Hug

I agree with Mr F, Lydiate does conceede penalties, but he also nearly always Wales highest tackler with Warburton, and Paul James, he wins a hell of a lot of turn over. He also does the job for Wales on the floor that Martyn Williams used to do, while Warburton is more in the Colin Charvis mold. but to me Lydiate is worth his weight in gold at the moment.
The only hole I could pick in his game, is he is normally lax in supporting his prop with his weight in the scrum, he has a tendency to try and break quickly for the tackle, which isn;t always a good thing.

Agree there Alyn,
Its a law of averages game................the more tackles you make the more chances you have of giving away the odd penalty, and Lydiate always make the highest amont of tackles.

Back to the match
Gatland was spot on with his selection (I was wrong with saying that Faletau was a risk). However one of the disappointments was Gatlands refusal to use the bench around the 60th to 65th minute, I felt that a fresh 1/2p and Knoyle might have stretched an ageing SA side.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

I think Powell would have been useful impact too

Gatts

Back to top Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 11 Empty temp

Post by BATH_BTGOG Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

I'd like to say well done Wales but to be honest I'm angry that they lost that. steam

Of course there are lots of positive to come out of that game, its just hard to think about them at the moment, Wales should beat Samoa if they play like that. Sad

The Ball excuse, it does seem strange that so many kickers are missing by a country mile (by some of there standards) but the makers of the ball insist that the teams have had plenty of time with this ball, it was used in the 6 nations too.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

So close

SA were better at closing out the game.

But, that drop goal, that penalty - this is going to haunt me for the next 4 years....well, actually, probably forever.

That 1 pt would have given us a SF IMO - A 1/4 against Ire/Ita would have been a walk in the park based on the 2 games today.

The only positive is that we should still beat Samoa and Fiji to come second - then we get a crack at Australia (the advantage being we wouldnt have to face NZ in the semi if we won - Id back us to beat Eng/Fra aswell, either way we would have to face a top 3 team, id just prefer it was NZ in a semi than Aus in a 1/4)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

Bullsbok wrote:

loser mentality? the fact that i am proud that my country did so well but a shame the better team lost?

and hammer i meant from both sides.

but wales wereamazing one of the best games i have seen
mr F, lydiate was one of wales biggest ball carriers and priesltland played very well considering it was is 3rd start at fly half it was a good performance. welsh players put their hearts into it and i really think we will get out of the group seeing that determination. set plays were also pretty good and am really proud of that performance, jund with SA mediocre performance i think samoa will be up for that match, because SA really didnt pose much of a back attacking threat,

ah well that means we will be meeting aus or ireland in the quarters =)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:Well done SA but what an effort from Wales. Even Biltong must give them praise for that effort.
Shocked What, now that sounds like an accusation of some sort. Whistle

eirebilly read my match report. OK
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Beyond Flip off

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm

For those who are hinting so, a close defeat doesn't make us home and dry in the group. If anything we MUST improve further, as today proved beyond doubt tons of possession and forward momentum doesn't mean jack if you can't make it count with points on the board.

White line fever will cost us dearly against Samoa and Fiji, both sides know that very well through past experiences. We have it all to do now that we've lost.

It still hurts broken

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:For those who are hinting so, a close defeat doesn't make us home and dry in the group. If anything we MUST improve further, as today proved beyond doubt tons of possession and forward momentum doesn't mean jack if you can't make it count with points on the board.

White line fever will cost us dearly against Samoa and Fiji, both sides know that very well through past experiences. We have it all to do now that we've lost.

It still hurts broken
Completely agree. Wales v Samoa is winner takes all, loser goes home. Not sure Wales can keep this momentum up and may well be spent, allowing Samoa 2nd place. Who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

We've got a week to recover, so we'll have enough energy for Samoa. Play like we did today with just a bit more composure in the opposition's 22 like we had in the warm up games, and I think we'll win. Going to have to play for the full 80mins again though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next