The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa Wales - match thread

+58
fa0019
bedfordwelsh
wales606
BATH_BTGOG
emack2
Coltnet
munkian
Knowsit17
ML
welshy824
Thomond
westisbest
Bullsbok
JDizzle
Standulstermen
disneychilly
flyhalffactory
Goosestepper
kiakahaaotearoa
Cowshot
Smirnoffpriest
Otagolad
D24tress
PJHolybloke
mckay1402
EnglishReign
TheGreyGhost
nathan
eirebilly
B91212
BigTrevsbigmac
MrFahrenheit
LondonTiger
lostinwales
FerN
GunsGerms
scoi
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
WillyGilly
rugbywhales
valjester
Mad for Chelsea
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Pal Joey
Notch
Submachine
Glas a du
Shifty
screamingaddabs
HammerofThunor
Cari
Cymroglan
Ozzy3213
majesticimperialman
TBJ9625
Biltong
Taylorman
Gatts
62 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 12 Empty South Africa Wales - match thread

Post by Gatts Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well my comments today about the mighty 'W' and the performances of the minnow sides have obviously caused some controversy. I wouldn't be Gats if I didn't prod the opposition occasionally, usually just before a big game.

I for one loved watching Japan's bushido approach to tackling and Romania's scrummaging, it only served to highlight the soulless nature of the professional era when contrasted against the big teams seemingly inept but effective closing out. Namibia outplaying fiji for long periods and as for Argentina they played like warrior poets and i know all about them.
It reminded me of the good old days when giants could be slain and perhaps all these teases will finally come to fruition tonight when a new Welsh breed takes on the might of Bok experience . I am a romantic at heart, Tommo's kiss was old school class, the way we used to get under the oppo skin before tmo and yellow cards. But that era is gone, Wales played on passion alone for years and that, in my view and in hindsight, was our biggest problem. Gatland, a Kiwi and therefore fundamentally unable to get the significance of rugby in Wales, comes form a place where, clearly , rugby is life. That is a beautiful thing that we are all lucky enough to share in. I pity those that never pulled on the shirt, smelt the ralgex, bled and bought your opposite number a jug.
Gatland stumbled over the transition of Wales from a team that had to play offload catch up in the last third, to a team that is within a few hours going to play a game which may define how we progress for years to come. i know they can win but history tells us they can't.

Its now or never. No more talk. Bring on the boks and may the best team win.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 12 Empty Re: South Africa Wales - match thread

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:50 am

It's got to be mentally draining to give so much and come so close but fail. they need to keep their heads up. There's always a chance they'll play South Africa again the final.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

South Africa Wales - match thread - Page 12 Empty Re: South Africa Wales - match thread

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 am

mentally draining yes, but think how much they'll be hurting. THey're not going to want to lose again any time soon. I think they'll come good (or at least I really, really hope so!)

Thing is we don't really know what form Saoma are in with them not having played yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 am

dreamer,

I mean mentally spent rather than physically. The psychological pressure should not be underestimated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:55 am

no, but see my other response, this loss will fire them on, they're not going to want to feel the pain of it again any time soon. At all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:57 am

People talk as if Samoa and Fiji are only going to play against Wales do you not realise they have to play against each other and South Africa.
This group is going to be mentally draining for all the teams involved.
Wales won a deserved bonus point today and that could prove to be crucial.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:57 am

It could go either way. It's up to Gatland and co to make sure it goes the right way.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 am

I disagree dreamer. I think knowing you've played your very best against an under-performing side and still losing must be a terrible blow. It may creep into their heads that whatever they do they haven't quite got it. Not yet, at any rate.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:59 am

scoi wrote:
MrFahrenheit wrote:So frustrating. With Hook at 10 and Lydiate left at home we'd have won by ten. We were the better team for most of it.

Gatland's selection strategy lost us the game.

Priestland had a great game at 10 and Lydiate was outstanding all game and made the breakdown a very competitive place, yes he gave away a few penalties but he's a flanker, thats how they have to play to be effective. Hook didnt have a good game at 15 but who else could have played there?

Gatlands selection should be applauded

Scoi,

You must have been watching different game to rest both Priestland ant Lydiate had excellent games.

Lydiate was everywhere and Rhys' ran the game with a very mautre and confident head on his shoulders.

Who would you have had at N06, Powell or JT get real.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 am

I think Wales are stronger then that SafeAs, and I don't think SA were under-performing that much either. Of course it's a terrible blow, one they'll not want to suffer again. They'll learn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 am

Bedford - he said Rhys had a great game and he said Lydiate was excellent. What's your beef with him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:02 am

I can't think of any welsh player that had a poor game. They all did what had to be done, perhpas Phillips could get the ball out of the ruck a little quicker ate times.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:04 am

oops,

addressed it to wrong person was to MrF or shud have been Doh apologies Scoi
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 am

The senior players are going to have to try and lift this side up for their crunch match vs. Samoa.
Samoa will have their heads up for the Wales match... whether Wales can do so also after such a result is debatable at this moment in time.

Wales should look back and say... In the end we played the world champs and took them to the brink of defeat. If we can get our act together there is no reason why we can't qualify from this pool and go on and beat Aus in the QF (if results stay to form).

The worst thing which can happen is that Wales allows this loss to affect their camp morale which may end up with them going home in the pools.

One thing Wales will know is that Samoa will bring their A game.... they are a side that don't back down and given their form earlier in the summer they are ready to take more scalps.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 am

Biltong - agree that Phillips could have sped up a bit. Other then that my only criticism would be that Adam was off the pace a bit in the loose, but he helped kept the SA front row, especially the Beast, quiet, so got to be happy with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 am

rugby,

Adam done is main job well, anything else a bonus, the beats was ineffective in the scrum.

Lets hope we play sensible rugby now in the remaining group games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 am

I really hope so bedford, I really do. I don't think I can take another loss like today. I've never been so upset over a game of rugby before. We know the'se boys have got it in them now, they just need to go out and deliver.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 am

Most of the welsh team had very good games, perhaps more importantly there was a clear game plan that worked well. There were some lapses and perhaps Shane was pretty ineffective today. However, it just wasn't to be and I think we were just a little unlucky as opposed to "bottling it" or lacking composure, Hooks kicking for goal at the end was way off the mark and like the Saffer in the first half Priestland lacked a little composure when it mattered. Lots of plusses and the performance was 2008 Grand Slam vintage and some more. Bennett has obviously had a frontal lobotomy in the past 2 months and Shane aside there are plusses for everyone. This looks like a performance to build on so fingers crossed as i think a number of players came of age today particularly, Toby, JD, Lydiate, Priestland and of course Warburton. Well done Bilton but I think we surprised you - and by the way just like SA we can also get better than that thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:41 am

Hi RubyGuby or should I say RugbyShrink?

To be honest I wasn't surprised at what Wales did today, remember I watched them in the warm ups.

What I was dissappointed with though was our indiscipline when on attack, it is no use we build momentum through phases and then give away penalties whiclt on attack, that is simply unacceptable.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:49 am

I am not a statto/anorak-type,so can someone please tell me if we could play SA again before the Final?I really fancy our chances if we can have another go at them.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:50 am

Nope
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I am not a statto/anorak-type,so can someone please tell me if we could play SA again before the Final?I really fancy our chances if we can have another go at them.

If we qualify we play the winner from iRE/aus group in a quarter. We tehn play the winner of the Eng/Fr quarter assuming that Eng win the group and Fr are runners up in their group....SA meanwhile, if they win group, will play most likely Ireland but maybe italy in the quarters and then NZ in a semi....yes we will meet them again but only in a final!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I really hope so bedford, I really do. I don't think I can take another loss like today. I've never been so upset over a game of rugby before. We know the'se boys have got it in them now, they just need to go out and deliver.

Keep dreaming dreamer we are getting there....we were out manouvred today....they used a rush defence to slow our ball and I am sorry to say philipps aided that...we rarely got on the front foot long enough to unleash the backs, their forward kept it a forward battle by defending so tight yet with so few numbers at the breakdown...Brussow was immense but Sam, well that guy is already world class. Likewise Doc was stunnin gbut for me JD is barely contributing in attack. It didn't open up for us as it normally would in the last third.

I m very proud of a very young team and they took an enormous step yesterday....I felt that perf was the best losing perf, with huge heart and that i have ever seen. We can still do well here and whereas before i thought gtas might have to go if we don't get ou tof the group now i am not so sure

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:52 pm

JD was the only one of our backs to actually beat defenders in a clean break Gatts, and he got us out of 2 or 3 really, really sticky situations in our own 22 with some great runs. Him and the Doc are growing together as a partnership. Defensively they are superb, and they are getting better attack wise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Okay we will have to agree to disagree, I don't rate him yet but I am open to being converted. He is the best option, just wish we had a certain fit and firing centre out there who will now never play at an RWC.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:18 pm

A belated well done to wales on an excellent performance. I really thought you'd win that one before the game and you should be kicking yourselves.

Warburton was fantastic again and for me is challenging Pocock and McCaw for the title of the worlds best openside. I'll eat my hat if he's not the next lions captain.

Roberts was at his rampaging best and Wales key players seem to be finding their form at the right time.

SA started and finished strongly but I think they were lucky that Wales failed to convert a lot of their pressure into points and will need to improve if they are to be serious contenders in this competition.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:20 pm

We are kicking ourselves rodders. I've just wwatched the game again, can't believe we didn't win it. Inexperience telled big time in the last 20mins, and at some points we actually seemed a bit panicked that we were ahead.

The young team will learn from this, a cruel lesson but an important one. They better never lose a game in this way again!

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Well done Bilton but you will remember that I said last week that if the Saffers came under pressure they are likely to be ill disciplined and give away penaltys. You did what mattered in the red zone and were clinical when you needed to be. Cracking match all round. I can't believe some of the begruding posters on here suggesting this is a one off and that Wales will be psychologically distraught. They will be both disappointed and greatly encouraged by this performance. They can improve on this and we all look forward to next week. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:48 pm

serious contenders in this competition.

That's the biggest compliment you could have paid, but I still don't think we are or will be. An Argentinian type heroic third is our limit.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Dreamer its been the story of Wales over the past few seasons. They push the big sides to the wire but don't get the results. I thought in the Autumn they were the best of the home nations but lost all their games.

Wales don't have great depth so it's good that their big players like Philips, AW Jones, Roberts etc. are in top form.

The big problem is at 10 and 15. I thought Hook was a bit shaky in defence and although Priestland did a lot of good things I think he just lacked a bit of composure at times and a top 10 should really have got that drop goal.

I thought Falatu had some excellent carries in the 2nd half and scored a great try and is a great prospect but all round I'm not sure he's a top class 8 yet and Ryan Jones would add a bit more leadership.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:55 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:We are kicking ourselves rodders. I've just wwatched the game again, can't believe we didn't win it. Inexperience telled big time in the last 20mins, and at some points we actually seemed a bit panicked that we were ahead.

The young team will learn from this, a cruel lesson but an important one. They better never lose a game in this way again!

It just makes you wonder what might of been if Gatland had switched Hook and Priestland round, or been able to bring Stephen Jones off the bench.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:56 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
It just makes you wonder what might of been if Gatland had switched Hook and Priestland round, or been able to bring Stephen Jones off the bench.

You'd have won the game!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:02 pm

I think the bench is key here. We needed to steady the ship in the last 20mins and didn't have anyone to call on. Ryan Jones to come on in the 2nd row (I mean who in the back row could you have taken off?!) and Stephen at 10 could have made all the difference. We'll just never know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:56 pm

851 South African caps on that field today and Wales have the second youngest team in the tournament,

I think some people need to pull their heads out of their bum and give Gatland some respect he has brought Wales kicking and screaming into the modern pro physical game,

Well done Wales and a big well done to Priestland he really come of age today.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 pm

viewtothegym wrote:851 South African caps on that field today and Wales have the second youngest team in the tournament,

I think some people need to pull their heads out of their bum and give Gatland some respect he has brought Wales kicking and screaming into the modern pro physical game,

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:11 pm

As a mater of interest who has the youngest team ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:15 pm

viewtothegym wrote:

If Priestland came of age he'd have kicked that drop goal. He had a very good game but if Wales are to really get into the latter stages, which they can, then they need Jones or Hook at 10 in my opinon.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:17 pm

not sure cymroglan,im quoting a south african rugby news website,they didn't say who has the youngest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:20 pm

viewtothegym wrote:851 South African caps on that field today and Wales have the second youngest team in the tournament,

That does sound a bit like the time England did a victory lap of the ground after losing to NZ by a smaller than usual margin

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:11 pm

roddersm wrote:Dreamer its been the story of Wales over the past few seasons. They push the big sides to the wire but don't get the results. I thought in the Autumn they were the best of the home nations but lost all their games.

That in itself is an improvement. At least now we're taking the best to the very brink rather than getting pasted by them (96-13 anyone?).

This was arguably the closest we've come to toppling one of the elite at the biggest stage since 1987. Of course further progress is hoped for but I'd at least rather see the current gap between us and the world beaters maintained than widened again.

I also agree about Gatland. Some haters have targetted him for the usual cult-condemnation you come to expect among the fickle but under his mantle we've developed a competitive edge on a far more regular basis. For instance, under Gatland we have defeated the likes of England, Ireland and Scotland more regularly than under the previous four coaches combined. Ok, maybe an obscure statistic but undoubtedly a mark of consistently improving results.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 am

Somebody open a post mortem thread, this is stretching the definition of 'live match thread' don't you think?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:46 am

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:48 am

There is a match report thread going already as well.

https://www.606v2.com/t13621-sa-vs-wales-match-report
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12