The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs Peterson confirmed.

+6
BALTIMORA
School Project
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
eddyfightfan
Daz
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
10 posters

Go down

Khan vs Peterson confirmed. Empty Khan vs Peterson confirmed.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm

Source ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- Unified junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan of England will defend his belts against mandatory challenger Lamont Peterson on Dec. 10 after the sides came to terms and avoided a purse bid, Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com Thursday night.

The fight, which will headline an edition of HBO's "World Championship Boxing," likely will take place in the United States, where Khan has been fighting regularly. Schaefer said the bout likely will take place in Washington, D.C., or Detroit, or possibly Montreal.

Schaefer said he strongly prefers Washington, Peterson's hometown, but also where Khan enjoyed a visit earlier this month after being invited by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to a dinner honoring Muslim athletes.

Peterson does not have a promoter, so Schaefer said he made a deal with Barry Hunter, Peterson's manager, trainer and father figure.

"I've been talking to Barry for the last couple of weeks and we were going back and forth between what they wanted and what the Khans wanted, trying to bridge the gap and agree on a number," Schaefer told ESPN.com at the MGM Grand, where he is promoting Saturday night's Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Victor Ortiz fight. "And we were finally able to do that, so as a result we have informed the IBF and called off the purse bid."

The seed for a possible fight between Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) and Peterson (29-1-1, 15 KOs) was planted in December when Peterson fought to a 10-round draw against Ortiz on the undercard of Khan's thrilling decision win against Marcos Maidana.

Khan's next fight was in April, back in England, and Peterson, 27, was offered the fight. However, he turned down a final offer of more than $300,000 -- by far a career-high purse -- because he was unhappy about the terms of a rematch clause Khan wanted and lukewarm about going to England for the fight.

Khan defeated Paul McCloskey instead, and then knocked out Zab Judah on July 23 to unify belts, while Peterson went on to knock out Victor Cayo in the 12th round for about $10,000 in a title eliminator on July 29.

Peterson's victory earned him a mandatory shot at Khan, which put him in a more favorable position to negotiate a better deal for the fight. And now Peterson may wind up getting the fight in his hometown.

"A dream come true," Peterson told ESPN.com about the prospect of fighting for a world title in D.C.

Schaefer did not disclose the terms for the fight, which is expected to be the final bout for Khan at junior welterweight before he moves up to the welterweight division next year.

"Lamont Peterson is a very skilled fighter with a different skill set than fighters like Maidana or Judah," Schaefer said. "It's going to be interesting. Lamont was dropped a couple of times in the fight with Ortiz, but showed the heart, the smarts and the skills to have the fight end up in a draw."

It will be Peterson's second shot at a world title. In December 2009, he fought one of the best fights of his career, but lost a lopsided decision to Timothy Bradley Jr., who has steadfastly refused to fight Khan despite being offered a 50-50 deal.

If the card lands in Washington, Schaefer said he would work with HBO to put at least one of the top prospects he promotes from the region on the undercard -- either Brandywine, Md., heavyweight Seth Mitchell (who fights Friday night in Las Vegas) or 2008 Olympian Gary Russell, a featherweight from Capitol Heights, Md.

Fighting Peterson is something the 24-year-old Khan said he wanted to do before leaving the 140-pound division.

"Lamont is a credible opponent. He got a draw with Ortiz, who is now fighting Mayweather," Khan said in an interview with ESPN.com last week, while negotiations were ongoing. "Now he's my mandatory and it would be a good fight. He wants to fight and I am willing to fight him. That's probably the best fight for me before I move up to welterweight."
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Peterson confirmed. Empty Re: Khan vs Peterson confirmed.

Post by Daz Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

Cheers for the update Kev!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

I'm a bit disappointed with this I would have much rather seen a Maidana re match.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

Me too mate. On the plus side I just ordered the Mayweather fight Very Happy

Are they still doing the promo through this site? I used the link on the thread.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

I'm not sure think so. I had to order it over the phone because the Sky box I'm registered with is on the wobble and their not coming out to fix it until Monday.

Told primetime about it and he gave me the number to phone so I didn't have to pay the £2.50 again.

Top man I've gave him plenty stick as well he would probably have made sure I never got a refund though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

best fight out there, peterson is a live opponent and in his home town could be difficult. think khan will be looking to impress due to bradley beating him first- so could be intersting

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:46 pm

Haha!! Cant wait for the fight now!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

Eddy I don't have a problem with Peterson as an opponent he's a decent boxer. Khan should have too much for him though. I would just have preferred to see Maidana because I think it's a better looking match up.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

it would be a good challenge, but i'd prefer to see him in with someone new, better experience. think him trying to avoid a big right all night whilst outboxing maidana would be pointless.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:07 pm

That's why I find it strange it isn't happening. Khan should deal with Maidana second time around much easier I would probably even back him to get the stoppage. It wouldn't be a hard fight to sell given it was FOTY last year. I thought it would get made but for once I was wrong! Wink
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

At least it's not the old coffin dodger Morales guys eh?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

Peterson is an awkward, slick southpaw right?

So that would be 3 southpaws in a row for Khan. Interesting. Peterson is a decent choice, he pulled back a draw from Ortiz and has good boxing skills.

Won't pay for it though.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

School Project wrote:Peterson is an awkward, slick southpaw right?

So that would be 3 southpaws in a row for Khan. Interesting. Peterson is a decent choice, he pulled back a draw from Ortiz and has good boxing skills.

Won't pay for it though.

I believe he's a young, hungry lion with dynamite in both hands and a granite chin, with the heart of a warrior and a veteran's savvy.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:53 am

OK fight, doesn't get the pulse racing though, and will be a pay event.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

Harsh for PPV, think i'll wait for replays of that one, Khan has a large team and don't think he could fight without PPV now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

BALTIMORA wrote:

Won't pay for it though.

I believe he's a young, hungry lion with dynamite in both hands and a granite chin, with the heart of a warrior and a veteran's savvy.

With a fire in his belly that burns hotter than hell itself. Some say he spars with God himself and when pushed too far unleashes Cthulu from toilets around the world. This is possibly Khans greatest challenge.

And when he wins, will be considered the greatest Boxer in the Universe!...

I don't know Balti, I think we need to talk to Primetime about becoming hype guys.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

School Project wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Won't pay for it though.

With a fire in his belly that burns hotter than hell itself. Some say he spars with God himself and when pushed too far unleashes Cthulu from toilets around the world. This is possibly Khans greatest challenge.

And when he wins, will be considered the greatest Boxer in the Universe!...

I don't know Balti, I think we need to talk to Primetime about becoming hype guys.

I'm not sure the public is ready for such a phenomenon, especially as they'll already be reeling from the awesome spectacle of Khan vs the devastating force of nature that is Lamont Peterson. Mountains crumble and oceans part when this guy steps into the gladiatorial arena, sweeping the might of nations aside as if it were but an insignificant insect.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

I guess acceptable under the circumstances but really would have liked to see Khan-Bradley. Khan I think would win that fight but he would learn some lessons along the way.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

With Bradley stuck in some sort of purgatory and, apart from this the only other fight worth making was a Maidana re match but Khan has nothing to prove their and Peterson is a mandatory defence.

Alexander is awful to watch although he has just signed with GBP so a bit surprising maybe he wasn't in with a shout. Matthysse is a poor man's Maidana and lost 2 straight. Morales wouldn't cope with Khan and I'm glad we aren't going to see that.

As for Vargas Floyd must just have been trying to get Vargas a bit of publicity or a pay day because he wouldn't last 6 rounds with Khan. If he performed against Khan like he did last night he wouldn't last 2 rounds!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

Alexander has moved up.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

i think mattesyse is better than maidana and should have won judah and alexander

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm

Never knew that no surprise he took Peterson then their isn't much else.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:19 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Matthysse is a poor man's Maidana and lost 2 straight.

Ever seen Matthyse fight?

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

Bob wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Yes he's nothing special.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Bob wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Special or not, Maidana is a poor man's Matthysse.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

Bob wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Bob wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Special or not, Maidana is a poor man's Matthysse.

I would put my money on Maidana if they were to box.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:40 pm

Let's hope for your sake they dont fight then.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down