The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000

+4
Kay Fabe
JoshSansom
bretmeharty
Johnny Dice
8 posters

Go down

Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000 Empty Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000

Post by Johnny Dice Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Someone just mentioned this promo in the "ask the tart" thread so I decided to look it up.

I could only find it on daily motion - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1exnn_vince-russo-shoots-on-hogan-part-2_sport

Is this the first instance of kayfabe being broken on air? And although it was revealed to be a shoot later, was this a defining moment in wrestling? Was it a good idea at all?

Lets hear your thought.

Johnny Dice

Back to top Go down

Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000 Empty Re: Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000

Post by bretmeharty Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

Wait........ you do know that WCW was going down the pan at this point and was sold off less then a year later dont you?

No, no, no this was not a good idea and a prime example of the Russo days.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000 Empty Re: Russo shoots on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000

Post by JoshSansom Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

Sounds like a worked shoot to me... though it doesn't just step through the 4th wall, it absolutely busts through it in a tank!

The bit that got me though was where Russo said that JJ doesn't play politics when he is the guy who created TNA so that he could play world champ as much as he liked!

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

Jarrett created TNA because he like many other wrestlers had nowhere else to go, I'm not the best guy to talk JJ up but I think that comment was unfair and not very accurate, sure he did hog the World Title in the first 3/4 years but he was also a past World Champ in WCW and was at least credible considering who he had to work with

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

I always felt that JJ got a raw deal from a lot of people too.

He has never been involved in Drug or drinks scandals (as far as I am aware), has been a solid worker, and generally has done the right thing with regards to putting people over.

He could have quite easily have made the angle/JJ feud over the belt but didnt.

I think he gets a lot of heat from the IWC as he isnt the most charismatic guy out there.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:26 pm

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:I always felt that JJ got a raw deal from a lot of people too.

He has never been involved in Drug or drinks scandals (as far as I am aware), has been a solid worker, and generally has done the right thing with regards to putting people over.

He could have quite easily have made the angle/JJ feud over the belt but didnt.

I think he gets a lot of heat from the IWC as he isnt the most charismatic guy out there.

Nobody can deny that "Double J" is not a good worker in the ring and a solid heel, however he's a lesser wrestler and everything he's achieved in the business has been through politics and nepotism.

Jarrett should have never been more than a solid mid-card performer, however he got a major push early in his career in the old Memphis territory as the successor of Jerry Lawler's throne because his dad was the promoter and owned the company.

In WWE and WCW, he was pushed non-stop because he developed a friendship with Vince Russo, and without Russo's friendship giving him a spot at the top of the card, his dad started another promotion (TNA) just to push his son.

The sad thing is that as much as Jarrett is pushed, the fans never bought Jeff Jarrett as a main event, championship caliber wrestler.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:23 am

I'd argue that Jeff Jarrett in his recent feud with Kurt Angle in TNA is some of his best work, while the use of Kurt's children was over the top in many people's opinions, I think Jeff was far better in this feud than anything he did in WCW or WWE, and yes Hobo that includes any Good Housekeeping matches Wink

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

I agree 100% with Brady. Jarrett isn't a bad worker, but he is an upper midcard role playing wrestler. He is not and never has been a main event calibre wrestler for a national wrestling promotion.

I think that, to an extent, TNA was a vanity project for him during its early years; an attempt to "prove" he was a star. I'm sure he also genuinely thought he was usually doing the best thing for business by hogging the main event spotlight, but he has nowhere near the star power that he thinks he has!

Certainly, though, he's a solid wrestler. It's just that he isn't a spectacular one in any way, and he has benefited greatly from having friends and family in high places his whole career.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down