The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Vs Romania match thread

+27
DaveM
bedfordwelsh
englandglory4ever
trebellbobaggins
robbo277
Cymroglan
lostinwales
Taylorman
HammerofThunor
mankiaow
Portnoy
HQ matt
faraway
EnglishReign
Scottrf
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
BATH_BTGOG
Cowshot
Mad for Chelsea
alcoombe
Jaysus
TBJ9625
Cumbrian
Biltong
Davie
Ozzy3213
PJHolybloke
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

England Vs Romania match thread - Page 4 Empty England Vs Romania match thread

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:00 am

First topic message reminder :

Well, I expect to be largely on my own this morning, but this is the day I expect the England Juggernaut to finally start rolling.

I want to see cold-eyed discipline, good ball protection fron the forwards, good cohesion between forwards and backs, some smart rugby and plenty of tries using differing styles of final execution.

It may "only be Romania" but if all or any of these don't show today - it''ll be a QF exit I reckon.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

England Vs Romania match thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England Vs Romania match thread

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

Lets hope Johnson and Co are taking it as it was a good win against a very poor lower tier Romanian side, because some of the commentators are not.

One big plus for England was their overall discipline, I posted after the Georgien game that when they come up against side with a top draw kicker they just can't afford to give the penalties away they have been giving of they will lose.

So well done on that point. Tuilagi is looking good as is Haskell.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

England Vs Romania match thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England Vs Romania match thread

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

Haskell's control at the base of the scrum is way too poor for a side who wants to use the scrum as a weapon. He needs more time there.Hopefully he'll be playing 8 for the Rams.

Tuilagi is looking good. Not sure how much of that is having Tindall organise him in defence.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

Hammer,

In the past I have always said Haskell is Englands version of Powell but this last season he has stepped up considerably and isn't so headless.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

He still needs to improve his scrum work. But yes he has manned up. Possibly to do with his French trip.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

Decent display. Obviously the opposition weren't up to much, but the handling and finishing was excellent, and the forwards were good. Hopefully Haskell will be first choice at 8. Tuilagi is coming along nicely.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

I agree that Haskell still has work to do at the back of the scrum, but that will come from experience. Otherwise he is absolutely top class, and is on an upward trajectory.

Croft and Moody also went pretty well today I thought. Croft is doing both the hard yards and the galloping runs and is looking like the same guy that played so well for the Lions.

Really positive performance from England, and although this was very much a Romanian second string, you can only beat what's in front of you.

The other positive for England is that Lievremont is coaching France. They were dreadful today.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

Of course beating Scotland will be tough.

They could have won in the 6N. Eng must play with tempo and not let them grind out the win. Get it wrong and Scotland will beat them.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

Well the truth is always somewhere in the middle - in that the result vs Argentina was probably better than it was presented - they are no mugs and good at making other teams work hard - and this result isnt quite as good because Romania were so poor.

As for Tuilagi he's turning into quite something. My only concern right now is that sometimes he almost wants to get involved too much. He gets involved in rucks more than I would like when maybe he should be getting back into the line

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

Haskell was completely headless today , even for him
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

Haskell was excellent today.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Really ? For an international 8 he looked a bit of a shambles.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:33 pm

Its funny it maybe one problem with the England back row is that they are all players who 'add something' rather than properly fill their traditional roles.

Haskell as a no.8 maybe wasnt great - Easter by contrast when hes on form does most no8 things very very well. Haskell as a hard running and tackling presence was good from what I saw.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:45 pm

'Traditional' roles are unimportant. As long as the jobs get done it doesn't matter who by. The number on the back only matters regarding scrums and even that can change with back row between attacking and defending scrums

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm

No, Haskell was excellent. The occasion error at the base doesn't detract from the overall performance.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:05 am

Dave...I think the point is that he was an excellent flanker today, unfortunatly he was playing 8 and didnt do the basic skills of his position so well. A bit like rying to play your scrumhalf at 10....
Haskel desrves to be in the team but its a problem if that means him playing 8.

I cant see they really have a choice for the scotland game though even if easter is fit.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:12 am

Chooo Chooo! "Thomas is coming" said the fat controller.

Shocked Not that I'm fat or owt.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Sun 25 Sep 2011, 5:48 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Dave...I think the point is that he was an excellent flanker today, unfortunatly he was playing 8 and didnt do the basic skills of his position so well. A bit like rying to play your scrumhalf at 10....

I cant see they really have a choice for the scotland game though even if easter is fit.

I'd love Haskel to play at 6, but who would play 8 then, Easter? I think Easter has been carried in the team for too long. He has the occasional good game, but too often he is very average. Haskel must be in the team as he is one of the few string ball carrying forwrds and has been string in defence. With Croft and Moody seemingly set to start, the only place for haskel is at 8.

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Sep 2011, 7:54 am

rugbyfan wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Dave...I think the point is that he was an excellent flanker today, unfortunatly he was playing 8 and didnt do the basic skills of his position so well. A bit like rying to play your scrumhalf at 10....

I'd love Haskel to play at 6, but who would play 8 then, Easter? I think Easter has been carried in the team for too long. He has the occasional good game, but too often he is very average. Haskel must be in the team as he is one of the few string ball carrying forwrds and has been string in defence. With Croft and Moody seemingly set to start, the only place for haskel is at 8.

Yeah which takes us back to teh comment someone made earlier that england have a backrow of players who are all good and bring something different outside the core skillet of their position ( croft genuine pace and lineout at 6, haskell mobility at 9, and moody sheer lunacy at 7) but arent strong in thos core skillsets. Englands backrow is a bit wierd.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 25 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

Waldrom is on his way isn't he?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

OK so waldrom has replaced sheridan...interesting.
It suggests engtland feel tehy need a big strong traditional 8 and they want it to be easter as tehyve retained him in the squad. That means they can have waldrom on the bench or starting till easter is fit.
Waldrom does give that bit of rumble the rest of teh backrow is missing, but i have my reservations about the rest of his game

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

I think Haskell is improving and his preformances are encouraging.

I would play him at 8 for the Scotland game.

At least now we have some pace and power at 8...something everyone has been crying out for.

What concerns me though is that after the WC he is off...so are left with 8 being a problem again.....and the only real contender in my eyes would be Narraway...unless the talk of Fearns being the real deal is correct?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysus Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

I think Haskell will develop into a great No. 8. Remember we made these same comments when Dallaglio first moved to 8 from 7 and he developed into a world class No. 8.

When Haskell first came onto the England team I said that the future backrow for England would be Croft at 6, Rees at 7 and Haskell at 8. We all know the problems Rees has had with injury, but we shouldn’t count out Haskell at 8 just because of the odd hiccup at the back of the scrum while he is still learning his trade at 8.

Jaysus

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm

whewre is Haskell going after the WC?

[edit]

Oh Japan so he would not be free for the next 6N. Doh!

Back to Wasps for next year but it leaves Eng with a hole to fill there.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:OK so waldrom has replaced sheridan...interesting.
It suggests engtland feel tehy need a big strong traditional 8 and they want it to be easter as tehyve retained him in the squad. That means they can have waldrom on the bench or starting till easter is fit.
Waldrom does give that bit of rumble the rest of teh backrow is missing, but i have my reservations about the rest of his game

Agree Peter, Waldrom is a big feisty unit with planty of dog, a go to man for front foot ball but lacks a bit in defense and general mobility stakes.

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter which way you perm them, England just don't have the back row resources to really compete at the very highest level, they haven't had since the Trinity retired and England's lack of success since is largely (but not entirely) connected.

Haskell and Croft are starting to bring some good form to the table, and I can see JH making it as a first class 8 if he's given the development opportunity, as much as I like Moody for his allround ability, effort and committment, I think he's just short of top class when it comes to fetching, and that is the final piece in the jigsaw.

England have some good prospects coming through at 8 and 6 to provide healthy competition and cover for the incumbents, but when Mongo hangs his boots up, there's a bit of blue water behind him.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4