The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Russia Match Thread

+26
Boyne
MMC
Feckless Rogue
Sin é
dublin_dave
Thomond
ME-109
BlueMuff
HammerofThunor
mrsuperclear
FitzStephen
valjester
clivemcl
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Standulstermen
Biltong
mankiaow
Shifty
Davie
MBTGOG
GunsGerms
Notch
majesticimperialman
Cari
eirebilly
rodders
30 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ireland v Russia Match Thread  - Page 5 Empty Ireland v Russia Match Thread

Post by rodders Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 6:14

First topic message reminder :

Big game for Ireland here. Ireland could be doing with a big win to keep their momentum going heading into a crunch game with Italy. 10 changes from the Australia game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Russia Match Thread  - Page 5 Empty Re: Ireland v Russia Match Thread

Post by valjester Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 8:55

roddersm wrote: OK Notch.

Val both tries were awful. If McFadden can't do a job if there are injuries he shouldn't have been selected in my opinion. I don't think Fitzgerald would have missed those tackles.

Cronin is a huge worry as is Buckley. If Ross or Best get injured we are fecked. That was the biggest disappointment tonight.

Cronin has been very disappointing especially considering the high hope I had for him. Buckley is as expected.

Another thing to take from the game is that the team will be back to his 1st choice xv next week. Best was the only sub not used which shows how worried they are about hooker. Trimble was good today but earls going off early means he will probably start again next week.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:01

Standulstermen wrote:Trimble (much like McFadden) wont get gametime at centre. There is an argument to say he should be one of our two best wingers but that aside why play him at centre when we have Cave, Spence, Marshall, Wallace, Whitten and Payne that all play there

Agreed, and I do think he is a better winger, but - and I am not saying Lievremont is brilliant - you see Rougerie out there at 13 for France and he punches big effing holes. He is primarily a winger at Clermont and behind a number of top class centres.

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:02

roddersm wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:Re McFadden what do you expect when he is allowed play 10 minutes at centre every 10 matches? He is a good centre but when he is never picked there he is going to get rusty.

I accept that but in terms of this tournament I wouldn't be confident if he was playing centre, particularly outside centre. To leave the line and get taken on the outside arc is criminal for a centre and thats happened him twice now and not against great players. Earls too against Tuilagi.

That is a real worry if bod is out because IMHO these two aren't international 13's.

Well personally I always though McFadden was a better 12.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:06

leinsterbaby wrote:
roddersm wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:Re McFadden what do you expect when he is allowed play 10 minutes at centre every 10 matches? He is a good centre but when he is never picked there he is going to get rusty.

I accept that but in terms of this tournament I wouldn't be confident if he was playing centre, particularly outside centre. To leave the line and get taken on the outside arc is criminal for a centre and thats happened him twice now and not against great players. Earls too against Tuilagi.

That is a real worry if bod is out because IMHO these two aren't international 13's.

Well personally I always though McFadden was a better 12.

The problem is he was appalling at 12 in the magnets final and I think that fitz is, or will be, a better option there than him.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:17

FitzStephen wrote:
Notch wrote:
FitzStephen wrote:On another point, I watched the game on RTE and O'Shea mentioned that Artemyev couldn't play for Ireland because his parents weren't resident in Ireland while he was playing for Blackrock and UCD, Leinster U20s and Ireland U19s. I'm not saying that the man would have made it - tho he took his try well - but shouldn't these rules (O'Shea said they were IRB rules) also prevent Manu "sure I'll just stay on a holiday visa for six years" Tuilagi from playing for England? Perhaps I am missing something?

Is it that he was a minor at that time whereas Tuilgai is an adult? That's just a guess. I don't know and I'm quite puzzled.

He was at UCD for at least one season and was in the Leinster academy (do they get paid and pay tax?) for at least two....so he must have been at least 18.....curiouser and curiouser.

Manus entire extended family is resident in England though thats why he was here, so if the rule says a kid is only classed as a resident if hes living with his family full time in a country ( its his home) then that would explain ithe difference. Its only when you are considered to be living in a country as your home that counts toward the residency qualification period.
Manus residency qualification was done as a child from the age of 13.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:26

From the IRB regulations

14. How is the Residence criteria satisfied?
Regulation 8.1(c) requires a Player to complete 36 consecutive months of
Residence immediately preceding the time of playing. Residence is
defined as “the place or location in which the Player has his primary and
permanent home” and Resident shall be construed accordingly. In
essence, Regulation 8.1(c) constitutes a sporting naturalization procedure,
based on a geographical/presence test. As in any naturalisation process, a
number of factors will influence the determination of what constitutes a
Player’s permanent and primary home. Such factors include, but are not
limited to, the actual time spent in a country and the purpose of any
absences during the qualification period. By being Resident in a country
for a period of 36 consecutive months immediately preceding the time of
playing for a Union, a Player is deemed to acquire a credible, close and
established national link with a country/Union that entitles him to
participate in sporting competitions for that Union. Based on the
overriding rationale of the eligibility Regulations, in cases where a
Player’s eligibility is uncertain the Regulations Committee will consider
that Player’s eligibility by reference to the particular facts and
circumstances of his case to establish if the Residency test, in the context
of the overall rationale of the eligibility Regulations, has been satisfied.
The principles set out in responses to the questions below will act as
guidelines to the Regulations Committee when it is asked to consider any
cases pursuant to this criterion.

Key thing is "primary" and "permanent". Artimiev was at boarding school right? Went 'home' during the holidays? Nothing to do with parents as such.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:27

Cheers Wheels, I did wonder how they had got around it. The parents rule was one that I had not heard of before it was mentioned on Irish TV. All in all I think it is better for Russian rugby to have a star like Artemyev playing for the Bears.

On more pertinent subjects, do you think Boss has done enough to displace Murray on the bench - he can cover wing as well apparently....

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 9:39

FitzStephen wrote:
On more pertinent subjects, do you think Boss has done enough to displace Murray on the bench - he can cover wing as well apparently....

Maybe but I don't think so. He did play very well but so did Murray when he came on last week. To be honest if Boss and Murray had more experience and gametime Reddan might be sweating on his place. Scrum half is pretty a healthy position right now which is great.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:05

Boss should always be on the bench ahead of Murray. Can't understand why he isn't.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:08

I like the fact that Boss plays the game with a smile on his face and, as well as a good bit of physicality, seems to have learned to clear the ruck quickly, probably thanks to his provincial headtohead with Reddan. Murray is the heir apparent - and what a great pass - but at the moment I would have Bossy on the bench. Oddly I don't think that any scrum half has really set the world alight yet in this competition. Vergallo has been the pick for me tho Youngs has done alright and Weepu looked good for thirty or so minutes. The rest have been much of a muchness.

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:23

The samoan scrum half has been by some distance the best. Hougaard has been decent too as has Genia

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:34

ROG was superb today. Surley now he must start against Italy.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:37

Boss better than murray. Funniest thing i have heard all day .

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:46

Murray is far better than Boss,he will get the bench spot.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:48

ROG was ok, but as has been said above, one moronic cross kick and one dreadful misspass would have resulted in scores against us against better opposition. I really dont care who starts between him and Sexton but i think Kidney will go with Sexton.

I recall getting a pasting off you DOD when i criticised Duncan Williams for Munster and said that the guy who replaced him was much better. That guy was Murray. Tickles me now to see you are now a cheerleader for the guy.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:50

I don't think their is much difference. Murray has much better service than Boss, better kicking game, but Boss offers a bigger running threat and is more physical.

I would prefer to see Murray on the bench personally, but it's a close call.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 10:52

Murray has a massive future. Boss doesnt. If for no other reason (and there are plenty) he should be given the nod to be in the squad

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 11:18

Just saw the RTE ratings for this game. My God that lad must have watched a different game. McFadden given a 9 and Cronin described as 'as real prospect' off the back of that performance stand out. Unbelievable

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 11:29

Williams had his chance and injury and lack of form affected that. Williams is still a good sh. Murray surprised me but took his chances and has improved with each outing.

Not sure how many breaks boss did against a poor defence but ho hum.

Regarding ROG a couple of loose bits. But i dont see anyone reviewing sexton so here goes...one moronic loose pass within the 22 and a badly missed kick. Very static in attack (still) lacks variation in terms of passing

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 11:33

Like i say DOD i dont mind who starts and it is hard to judge sexton on that game. I think Kidney will go with sexton though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 11:37

Standulstermen wrote:Just saw the RTE ratings for this game. My God that lad must have watched a different game. McFadden given a 9 and Cronin described as 'as real prospect' off the back of that performance stand out. Unbelievable

I'm baffled by those player ratings to be honest. Seems like real double standards for certain players. I rate McFadden and Cronin as prospects but I doubt they will be selected again unless we suffer injuries.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/0925/ireland_russia_ratings.html

I hate when they make one player a scapegoat as well; now the second try we conceded was poor. McFadden had a very poor missed tackle, then got up and missed another one, Trimble missed a tackle and then Wallace got a hold of him but wasn't strong enough to bundle him into touch. Should Wallace be criticised for it? Of course, thats only fair. But why not highlight the missed tackles by McFadden and Trimble? Headscratch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 11:58

job done and some good rugby played in patches

we went asleep in defence at times alright. actually thought the russian scrum half and backs looked lively enough. pity they did not know the rules or how to defend.

on to italy now. id start with rog. sexton has the yips and we will be in an absolute dogfight if we do kick our goals. looks like sexton has changed his technique and does not look confident. Even though we were miles ahead he had to make that conversion but it was a poor attempt.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 12:54

dublin_dave wrote:on to italy now. id start with rog. sexton has the yips and we will be in an absolute dogfight if we do kick our goals. looks like sexton has changed his technique and does not look confident. Even though we were miles ahead he had to make that conversion but it was a poor attempt.

I totally agree. I would start with O'Gara-Sexton at 10 and 12. Big shout as to who should start at 10 and 12 next week I think, with D'Arcy and Wallace also in the equation, but O'Gara needs to be on the pitch. Italy are quite capable of making it a dogfight that will be decided by territorial play and goal kicking.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 12:55

Jebus, I think some people are a bit harsh on McFadden. Great finish for his first try. Maybe people will now start to rate the way Keith Earls can play 3 different positions in the one game at international level (wing, centre & fullback). He is indespensible to Ireland and whatever about missing Manu for his try (Brian O'Driscoll also does that every now and again), his defence is excellent. That said, Andrew Trimble is really hard done by (I'd have Bowe on the bench for a change against Italy), but I think with BOD's shoulder problems, Earls will start.

Delighted to see Rob Kearney has really come back well.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 13:21

If Drico is not right he should not start agreed 100%. I think Bowe despite not being at his very best has an eye for the try line and will play regardless.

We have some very good backs and at least they made lots of line breaks today which will be good for confidence. Good god someone must coach Kearney in the art of passing the ball. despite some what some say he is well capable of countering but never seems to link with the other backs. still young though. Having said that he is tower of strength under high ball and does seem to be getting back to form

All in all a decent work out but accuracy does need improving at time. Butchered a few opportunities over-carrying and spurning support runners

Everytime they zoomed to the box it appeared that deccie was asleep. while smal and gaffney mumbled away. ha

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 15:02

Sextons goal kicking will be to much of a liability. It's knock out rugby soon. I think he's missed more than half his kicks. Can he turn it around in one week? I doubt it actually. But I have a feeling Kidney will give him one more chance against Italy.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? The ball? Technique? Nerves? There might be some issue with the ball. But ROG and Steyn can still knock them over.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 16:22

he seems to be taking a shorter run up or something. it just looks different to when he was banging them over last year. seems to be snap hooking a lot of kicks.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 16:25

Sin

Just to clarify something. Did you mean you think Earls will start 13 against Italy? Big call but if BOD isnt right then 100% the right one.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 16:36

Standulstermen wrote:Sin

Just to clarify something. Did you mean you think Earls will start 13 against Italy? Big call but if BOD isnt right then 100% the right one.

No, I think BOD will start - just if he has to go off, there won't be a huge amount of disruption in such a key position as 13 - Earls just has to move in one and whoever comes in on the wing can warm themselves into the game. Kidney is making sure that Earls is getting plenty of time at 13 as well. Ireland sort of lost their shape defensively when he went off today - Russia scored 2 tries.

The same applies for fullback. Its hard on Andrew Trimble - but Earls utility facility is the difference between them. I hope DK starts AT against Italy with Tommy on the bench as he deserves it - he was very sharp for his try today.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 25 Sep 2011 - 17:23

Fair enough so. Thought there was maybe more to BOD's omission today than i had heard.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 9:12

Standulstermen wrote:Just saw the RTE ratings for this game. My God that lad must have watched a different game. McFadden given a 9 and Cronin described as 'as real prospect' off the back of that performance stand out. Unbelievable

That is insane. Typically they blamed Wallace for the try. Apparantly McFadden had a faultless display despite being at fault for both tries and making two obvious handling errors and throwing an intercepted offload.

ROG is MOTM but threw an intercept pass and a cross field kick to the Russian winger that would have coast us two tries against any other team. He had a good game but you can't ignore the mistakes.

Cronin 7 for doing feck all? He couldn't even hit his man in the lineout against a part time side. Buckley conceded 4 penalties not two. 3 at the scrum and one offside at the ruck despite the referee repeatly telling him to get onside.

How O'Brien gets 8 and Rog and McFadden 9 is beyond me. Leo Cullen got an 8 as well despite being anonomous for most of the game. O'Brien was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

I think who ever gave those scores either didn't watch the game or have an alterior agenda. Madness.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 9:39

Another point is that I'm surprised that anyone is using this game as a basis for selection against Italy. I really don't think we can take a lot from this game based on the quality of the opposition.

I'd be surprised if Kidney made any changes to the side that beat Australia, which was a far better performance than this.

Other than ROG and Trimble keeping the pressure on Sexton and Earls respectively and Boss putting his hand up for a bench spot, I can't think of a single player here who would have elevated their position in the squad based than on this display.

After watching most of the England and Wales performances I would say that this performance was nowhere near good enough to beat either of those sides.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 9:50

Rods, that was a 2nd string side. Of course they are not going to beat Wales or England and while I don't think anyone can elevate themselves from a good performance there, a poor performance could get oneself demoted Wink Now we know that McFadden is excellent on the wing in attack, but I would not be moving him to the centre against Wales or England.

Yesterday was an ideal occasion for ROG to practice his crossfield kicks*, because it is going to be very difficult to break down a team like England who have a very good defence and fairly lively backs. He will need that kick in his arsensal to keep those teams well back in their own 22.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 9:57

They [the RTE rankings] are hilarious aren't they rodders?

15 Rob Kearney: Ran from deep, was assured under the high ball and was faultless in the tackle. If Kearney continues his upward curve in form he could be a real star for Ireland at this Rugby World Cup. 8
Agree with most of this. I would add though - needs to learn how to keep a counter attack going by offloading/passing the ball. His one on one tackling is still poor. 7

14 Fergus McFadden: Outstanding rugby brain. He has pace to burn and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Hard to fault anything he did today. Could eventually form a superb partnership with Earls in midfield. 9
I don't know what game he was watching. Took his try well but was very average for the majority of the game. The exception being when he moved to centre at which point he was at fault for the 1st Russian try - clearly hasn't learned his lesson from the Scotland game. 5

13 Keith Earls: Showed the pace and creativity that saw him make the Lions tour in 2009. Touted as the replacement to Brian O'Driscoll, he had touches of BOD in his attack, change of pace and lines of running today. Impressed and silenced plenty of critics. Whether he can do the same against better opposition and bigger opposite numbers - England and Manu Tuilagi spring to mind - is the big question hovering over him. 8
Keith was good. Two very well taken tries and he tried to link up with people in attack which was nice to see. Solid. 7

12 Paddy Wallace: Was embarrassed by Denis Simplikevich for the latter's try. He clung on to the Russian winger's back instead of trying to tackle him - his size always makes him a weakness in these situations and this was a prime example. I fear what would happen to Wallace against New Zealand or South Africa. But, he had a good game today. Picked good lines of running and passed well. Full of effort and he made few errors. The jury is still out, but he will have gone up in many people's estimation after this showing. 7
I thought Paddy did all that was asked of him. I wouldn't blame him for the try. It's very difficult to bring a man down after he's gotten past you, especially a guy of the Russian winger's size. It was McFadden and Trimble's (to a lesser extent) tackle to make. 7

11 Andrew Trimble: Put his hand up yet again: the most unlucky man not to be in the first-choice starting XV. His form since August has been exemplary and that continued today. Fierce with ball in hand, pacy, took excellent lines of attack and was a class act. 9
Pick of the back 3 for me. Took his try well and was excellent in setting up Earls' first try. Did much more besides. 8

10 Ronan O'Gara: A superb display from the Man of the Match. ROG passed, kicked and inspired from outhalf. He couldn't have done any more to put his hand up and say "I'm the best outhalf in Ireland." 9
Kicked excellently from the kicking tee. One good crossfield kick, one awful one. One intercept pass but plenty of good ones too. Room for improvement, but a good game for the most part. 7

9 Isaac Boss: A typically effective and direct performance from the Leinster man. Scored a classy first-half try, did enough with his passing, and box-kicked wisely. He's a lot more fashionable without the mullet, but still not in vogue enough to make the first 22. Great squad player. 7
Classy first-half try? Erm, OK. Boss did fine I thought. Certainly put his hand up for selection against Italy. A solid display, if not spectacular. 6

8 Jamie Heaslip: A much improved performance from Ireland's out of sorts star. He carried much better and was far more prominent all over the field. But, still not the rampaging wildebeest Ireland fans know and love. Will have boosted his confidence and will hopefully turn it up another notch against his great rival Sergio Parisse. 6
I thought Heaslip had a good game in comparison to what we've seen in the last few games. Carried well too. Warming up finally. 7

7 Sean O'Brien: Attacked at will and showed the hands and offloading skills that make him such a valuable asset. Is his tackling up to playing number seven? Could Wales or England expose him in defence? That aside, he's easily Ireland's best loose-play ball-carrier. 8
Outstanding. My MOTM. 9

6 Donnacha Ryan: Solid in the set-pieces and rampaged adequately all over the pitch. He goes about his business with the minimum of fuss and rarely makes errors. He's a man for others, and like Boss, an excellent squad player to have. 7
Did well in both positions he was asked to play in. Solid without standing out very much at the same time. 6

5 Leo Cullen (captain): A true leader. Excellent in the scrum, lineout, rucks and mauls. His leadership on and off the field cannot be underestimated. If O'Callaghan gets injured, Leo will step in and perhaps even improve the first XV second row. Great to see him get his chance to lead the team at the RWC. 8
Not sure what Leo did to deserve an 8. The lineout could have been better, and that wasn't all the hooker's fault. Accuse me of "Munster bias" if you will. I just don't see it. 6

4 Donncha O'Callaghan: A dark arts man: O'Callaghan puts his head where other people wouldn't put their hands. He was brave all over the field today and dug out plenty of ball for Ireland. Unspectacular, but ever so solid. Slightly under pressure from Cullen? Possibly. 6
Typical performance against a "lesser" team from Donncha. Ryan did better than him when he moved to the second row. Undoubtedly a good player, when he's in the mood. 5

3 Tony Buckley: A mixed bag from Mushie. Very poor in the scrum where he conceded two penalties - which is slightly embarrassing against the Bears. He scored a great try at the death. However, the try doesn't paper over his inability to be a rock in the scrum. He will be a liability against any of the Big Five nations. 5
Ugh. Awful. 3

2 Sean Cronin: Beginning to look a real prospect now. Superb in the loose, with deft hands and a robust shoulder. Lineout darts are getting better all the time. Could be first choice hooker by the next Six Nations. 7
God help us if Best gets injured. Must try harder. 5

1 Cian Healy: Another complete display; the modern frontrow forward. His scrummaging has changed Ireland into a team that command respect. His tackling today was top notch and he did ample work in the loose. If Ireland loose him, they are on a sticky wicket. Wrap him in cotton wool until next Sunday. 8
Excellent display as usual. A vital player to Ireland. 8

In comparison to Peavoy, my scores are lower. Sure we scored 62 points but giving out a load of 8s and 9s for yesterday is laughable. It was a decent solid performance against a terrible side. Next please.

Last edited by MMC on Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:04; edited 1 time in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:03

Only complaint i would have with your scores MMC is that Cronin should be a 3/4 for me. we are in serious trouble if Best is injured. cant see any changes for italy myself. Trimble has put pressure on as has ROG but for me Earls finish for his first try underlined why he will start. I think Trimble has been harshly dealt with but i dont think anyone else would have finished that. It was superb. A couple of trys could be the start for Earls to recapture form

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:05

Sin England and Wales fielded 2nd string sides and they performed better than we did.

Cross field kicks are a very high risk ploy. If you go to short like the 2nd one yesterday it could cost you a score the other end and would have yesterday against a better side. If that ball landed in North or halfpenny's hands then it's try time. ROG's miss passes across the line are risky too and very easy to read by the defence.

He had a good game yesterday but if those two mistakes had of yielded tries and Earls 1st try was correctly disallowed for the forward pass then that would have been a very different game. Trimbles try was pretty lucky too.

I don't think we should get carried away with that performance and based on what the other potential QF sides are doing then we need to improve very quickly.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:09

MMC I think your assessment is much closer to the mark in terms of the match I watched OK . I'd maybe give Boss and Ryan a 7 as I thought they both had pretty good games.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:10

to many ifs and buts there Rodders. If your ma had balls she would be your Da. we got the tries. These games only matter if you look seriously ropey and i dont think we do. Considering kearney was the only starter playing in position of our backline i think that is ok.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:24

Hmm well maybe stand but I think we need to assess that performance fo what it was. A sloppy display which lacked composure against a very poor tier 2 side. We through the ball around and ran up a few tries, some through lucky breaks. However there are a lot of things there that will concern Kidney I think.

ROG and Cullen showed very little leadership in the middle part of teh game when we were making a lot of errors and Russia were getting their tales up. We conceded two tries through the midfield off 1st phase which is criminal and the scrum and lineout were a shambles against a small and toothless Russian pack.

We will get thumped against a tier 1 side if we play like that and a lot of the fringe guys did themselves no favours.

What is clear from that performance is that if we don't have Darcy, Bowe and O'Driscoll come the knock out stages then we will be going home because the replacements bar Trimble are not up to the standard needed.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 10:53

Rods, I think we'd miss Paul O'Connoll, Mike Ross & Rory Best more than D'Arcy, Bowe or O'Driscoll. Didn't McFadden score a try against Italy in the 6Ns?

What will be a problem is if Ireland are not able to keep the scoreboard ticking over and Italy are allowed to get into the game.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 11:03

Sin the front row problem is so obvious I didn't bother to mention it. McFadden scored a good try against France. I don't doubt that he can do some good things in attack but if he gets beaten on the outside against the likes of Russia and Scotland, off 1st phase then the likes of Nonu, Smith, Rougerie, Tuilagi etc. will make mincemeat out of him.

Tuilagi has already made mincemeat out of Earls and given the way Jamie Roberts, Nonu, Tuilagi etc are playing then I am pretty concerned about our midfield options beyond D'arcy and O'Driscoll.

We really need BOD and D'arcy to find form and fitness quickly.

Put it like this. If we go into the game against Wales with a midfield of ROG, Wallace and Earls then it's time to go home.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 11:15

Standulstermen wrote:Only complaint i would have with your scores MMC is that Cronin should be a 3/4 for me. we are in serious trouble if Best is injured. cant see any changes for italy myself. Trimble has put pressure on as has ROG but for me Earls finish for his first try underlined why he will start. I think Trimble has been harshly dealt with but i dont think anyone else would have finished that. It was superb. A couple of trys could be the start for Earls to recapture form

With earls' try I thought he had to be in touch watching it live, couldn't believe how easy he made it look on the replay. I'm not sure if its coachable or possible to learn how to finish like that.

I think there is a possiblity that we might see earls/bod midfield if darcy doesn't make it. You could argue it is harsh on paddy but I'd say kidney would love to be able to have trimble and earls in the team.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 11:40

Rodders i have to agree with Sin on this one. If we are missing one of our front row we are in trouble. (only possible excpetion is Court playing LH but then he offers so much less around the park than Healy).

O'Connell is just a must end of.
You were being complimentary of wales but if they lost Warburton their backrow loses a lot of resilience and Roberts in the backs as he offers their attack a focal point they lack without him.

similarly England without Haskell (at present in good form) look very pedestrian in the backrow. Any of the teams losing front line players could decide the knockouts.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 11:45

roddersm wrote:Sin the front row problem is so obvious I didn't bother to mention it. McFadden scored a good try against France. I don't doubt that he can do some good things in attack but if he gets beaten on the outside against the likes of Russia and Scotland, off 1st phase then the likes of Nonu, Smith, Rougerie, Tuilagi etc. will make mincemeat out of him.

Tuilagi has already made mincemeat out of Earls and given the way Jamie Roberts, Nonu, Tuilagi etc are playing then I am pretty concerned about our midfield options beyond D'arcy and O'Driscoll.

We really need BOD and D'arcy to find form and fitness quickly.

Put it like this. If we go into the game against Wales with a midfield of ROG, Wallace and Earls then it's time to go home.

McFadden just moved from the wing into centre. The first try was about 2 minutes after Earls came off. That would have unsettled him a bit as well. I'd be happy enough with McFadden on the wing against any of the above.

Wales have copped on that Earls' defence is fine. His first game as an international centre about 2 years ago, Earls made all of his 12 tackles and didn't miss any (and scored 2 tries) against Wales. Both Byrne & Roberts were in the Welsh team that day. BOD missed one tackle though.

In the last 6ns against Italy, Earls made all of his 6 tackles. So, I doubt if they will be preying on his poor defence again.

So far this season, Earls has made 19 tackles and missed 2 (in 6 games). To put this in context, BOD has made 15 tackles and missed 2 in 3 games.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 11:53

I dont think Rodders is worried about Earls individually but in a partnership with Paddy i wouldnt be too confident either. I dont think it will come to that though. BOD will be fit i imagine so we will either see Sexton/BOD or BOD/Earls if and only if D'arcy doesnt make it.

The key for me and this has been the case for a while is our pack. I dont think we are particularly threatening in the backs (regardless of personell) but if our pack fronts up like it did against Oz i cant see too many teams living with us. It must be the most physical backrow in the tournament and if Best and Healy can replicate their contribution alongside POC who is in awesome form then we wont be far away. Its going to take that level of performance in every match though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 11:56

[quote="roddersm"]
Standulstermen wrote:ROG is MOTM but threw an intercept pass and a cross field kick to the Russian winger that would have coast us two tries against any other team. He had a good game but you can't ignore the mistakes.

Talk about having it in for somebody. What about the countless passing movements he started, countless spot on kicks from hand and 7 from 8 while one hit the post.

Sexton made more mistakes in the 15 minutes he was on than ROG did in the whole game.

Does anybody know what Sextons kicking stats for th 6Ns are? I know they are poor but somebody told me it was around 39%? Is this correct?

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 12:00

BlueMuff

You may have a point except i have consistently called for ROG to be starting! thumbsup
Doesnt mean i look over his mistakes. I also dont think Kidney will change now and im not sure how dropping Sexton now would effect the mood of the camp. for me Kidney has made his bed as regards picking Sexton. like i say though i dont think i can be accused of 'having it in' for ROG whilst i was calling for him to start against Oz last weekend!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 12:04

Sin Earls and McFadden can both tackle. I'm not disputing that. But being able to tackle and hold and organise a defensive line and being able to read the opposition play is another.

It is true that BOD has been beaten a few times this season but I still don't think he would have made the defensive lapses that McFadden and Earls have.

It might seem like I am being harsh but when you look at the strike threat some of the other sides have in midfield it is very worrying to see our back up midfielders caught out so easily.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 12:09

roddersm wrote:Sin Earls and McFadden can both tackle. I'm not disputing that. But being able to tackle and hold and organise a defensive line and being able to read the opposition play is another.

It is true that BOD has been beaten a few times this season but I still don't think he would have made the defensive lapses that McFadden and Earls have.

It might seem like I am being harsh but when you look at the strike threat some of the other sides have in midfield it is very worrying to see our back up midfielders caught out so easily.

Besides the miss on tuiliagi, earls has generally been solid in defence for munster and ireland for the past 18 months - two years, and in that time he has played a number of positions. The f**k up on tuiliagi was due to poor communication between him and darcy, i really don't think he would be a problem between him and bod. I would forgive mcfadden yesterday for the step in to create the gap but he had enough chances after to stop it and he really had to make one of those tackles.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 12:14

roddersm wrote:Sin Earls and McFadden can both tackle. I'm not disputing that. But being able to tackle and hold and organise a defensive line and being able to read the opposition play is another.

I've seen BOD caught out in a similar way a few times as Earls has been with the Tualagi try (which, lets face it) was a friendly, warmup game. Lets hope he learned something from it.

I thought Earls & Wallace did fairly well against the very experienced French pairing of Mermoz & Marty in Bordeaux and that was their first time to play together (and ROG was the OH)!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next