The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Russia Match Thread

+26
Boyne
MMC
Feckless Rogue
Sin é
dublin_dave
Thomond
ME-109
BlueMuff
HammerofThunor
mrsuperclear
FitzStephen
valjester
clivemcl
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Standulstermen
Biltong
mankiaow
Shifty
Davie
MBTGOG
GunsGerms
Notch
majesticimperialman
Cari
eirebilly
rodders
30 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ireland v Russia Match Thread  - Page 6 Empty Ireland v Russia Match Thread

Post by rodders Sun 25 Sep 2011, 6:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Big game for Ireland here. Ireland could be doing with a big win to keep their momentum going heading into a crunch game with Italy. 10 changes from the Australia game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Russia Match Thread  - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland v Russia Match Thread

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

Stand I think BlueMuffs comments are aimed at me.

BlueMuff I don't have it in for ROG. I thought he had a good game. His passing and kicking was very sharp.

Do I think he was MOTM? No. Do I think he should start against Italy? No.

I think we need Sexton at 10 and ROG to come off the bench for impact if we are to get beyond the QF.

Even Frankie Sheehan thinks the constant rotating of ROG and Sexton is affecting Sextons game. Maybe you think he has it in for ROG and Munster too?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE O GARA!!!!!

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

Val and Sin I agree. It's less so Earls I am concerned about. I think he did learn from the Tuilagi thing. I also think he'd be ok with someone experienced like BOD in his inside.

Wallace and Earls did do ok. But looking at our potential rivals ok won't be good enough I feel.

Jeebus next Boyne will be calling me anti munster! Run

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

roddersm wrote:Stand I think BlueMuffs comments are aimed at me.

BlueMuff I don't have it in for ROG. I thought he had a good game. His passing and kicking was very sharp.

I think we need Sexton at 10 and ROG to come off the bench for impact if we are to get beyond the QF.

Even Frankie Sheehan thinks the constant rotating of ROG and Sexton is affecting Sextons game. Maybe you think he has it in for ROG and Munster too?

Rods, you are not fooling us. Even you can't deny that O'Gara is having by far the better tournament, despite being left on the bench and having to come into games, he just gets on with it. Why can't Sexton do that?

Even at that, Sexton hasn't been rotated. He has started 16 of his 22 international games! Starting every second one would be rotation. Just as well Kidney made sure that ROG was match fit for this tournament. Not being able to deal with rotation is a problem that Sexton needs to sort out.

EDIT: I do think you have a bit of a 'thing' about Munster players. Its kind of flattering really.

Last edited by Sin é on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

roddersm wrote:Val and Sin I agree. It's less so Earls I am concerned about. I think he did learn from the Tuilagi thing. I also think he'd be ok with someone experienced like BOD in his inside.

Wallace and Earls did do ok. But looking at our potential rivals ok won't be good enough I feel.

Jeebus next Boyne will be calling me anti munster! Run

Yeah I'd be worried if earls wasn't playing with a vocal player beside him. Its one of the reasons that mafi earls doesn't work as they both play best with a leader beside them.

I'd say bod will be okay and hopefully sexton starts so it won't be an issue if earls does play in the centre.

Sextons kicking is a major worry but it also means it makes more sense to start him as kidney is likely to rotate his 10s and I'd much prefer rog coming on to kick a last minute penalty than the other way around. In saying that if we are relying on a last minute penalty/drop goal missed kicks won't have been the problem as realistically we should be looking to win the match through the backs.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Sin é wrote:

Rods, you are not fooling us. Even you can't deny that O'Gara is having by far the better tournament, despite being left on the bench and having to come into games, he just gets on with it. Why can't Sexton do that?

Even at that, Sexton hasn't been rotated. He has started 16 of his 22 international games! Starting every second one would be rotation. Just as well Kidney made sure that ROG was match fit for this tournament. Not being able to deal with rotation is a problem that Sexton needs to sort out.

Sexton needs to sort out his kicking and deal with being rotated at times but he is clearly first choice and rightly so. Beside his poor kicking from tee he has generally being good in open play. Rog wasn't anything special yesterday and at times he was just passing ball along the line without trying to create anything. He made some poor decisions yesterday and I've no idea how he got motm as there were four players more deserving than him.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Sin é wrote:

EDIT: I do think you have a bit of a 'thing' about Munster players. Its kind of flattering really.

laughing

Which Munster players do I have a 'thing' about? Interesting no one has yet called me anti Leinster for criticising McFadden Wink

Hmm I think there's no doubt ROG is having a better competition with his place kicking. In terms of overall play I think ROG has flattered to decieve a bit. I can think of 3 obvious bad errors from ROG in the past two games.

Sexton is not firing on all cylinders but I still think he offers more with the ball in hand. He draws defenders, in a way ROG can't, because of his pace and physicality and his range of passing is better particuarly the inside ball. There's more of an air of predictability when we attack with ROG at 10.

Rog is playing well but I think the bench role does bring out the best in him whereas I don't think the same with Sexton. ROG comes off the bench and just totally changes the point of attack. The half back formula we used against Australia is the way we will progress in this competition I think.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

valjester wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Sexton needs to sort out his kicking and deal with being rotated at times but he is clearly first choice and rightly so. Beside his poor kicking from tee he has generally being good in open play. Rog wasn't anything special yesterday and at times he was just passing ball along the line without trying to create anything. He made some poor decisions yesterday and I've no idea how he got motm as there were four players more deserving than him.

He might have been first choice coming into the tournament, but should not be now. With a first choice team out against the USA he failed to do much to get the backline moving. Defence was the key to the Australia win - and he is a very good defender. I think from now on, its up for grabs.

The special thing about ROG yesterday was his 7/8 from the kicking tee in a competition where several kickers seem to be having difficulties is not to be sneezed at because if he can get 7/8 against Italy, Wales, France or England - we will win.

What were the poor decisions?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

laughing

Which Munster players do I have a 'thing' about? Interesting no one has yet called me anti Leinster for criticising McFadden Wink

Hmm I think there's no doubt ROG is having a better competition with his place kicking. In terms of overall play I think ROG has flattered to decieve a bit. I can think of 3 obvious bad errors from ROG in the past two games.

Sexton is not firing on all cylinders but I still think he offers more with the ball in hand. He draws defenders, in a way ROG can't, because of his pace and physicality and his range of passing is better particuarly the inside ball. There's more of an air of predictability when we attack with ROG at 10.

Rog is playing well but I think the bench role does bring out the best in him whereas I don't think the same with Sexton. ROG comes off the bench and just totally changes the point of attack. The half back formula we used against Australia is the way we will progress in this competition I think.

I didn't accuse you of being anti-Munster - just having a 'thing' about a few Munster players who seem not being up to your high standards (ROG who seems to get up everyone's nose and should be apologising for wanting to play in the tournament in some people's opinion), Earls, MOD, Leamy, DOC, Ryan - all seem not up to your high standards.

When ROG comes on, apart from everything else he bring, he lifts the team who start playing with confidence.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

Sin é wrote:
valjester wrote:
Sin é wrote:

He might have been first choice coming into the tournament, but should not be now. With a first choice team out against the USA he failed to do much to get the backline moving. Defence was the key to the Australia win - and he is a very good defender. I think from now on, its up for grabs.

The special thing about ROG yesterday was his 7/8 from the kicking tee in a competition where several kickers seem to be having difficulties is not to be sneezed at because if he can get 7/8 against Italy, Wales, France or England - we will win.

What were the poor decisions?

Crossfield kick to trimble and intercepted pass were the most obvious but his use of the ball at times was poor.
Like I said sexton needs to sort out his goal kicking but besides that he has being doing the basics well and his
kicking form hand and general play against australia was very good.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:06 pm

I don't know how the crossfield kick to Trimble could be considered a mistake. Maybe it wasn't executed correctly, but it wasn't a mistake to try it.

Intercepted passes happen. In this instance, the defence was organised well enough to deal with it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Denis Leamy has been criticised for not offloading to Cronin yesterday. If he had offloaded to Cronin and Cronin knocked on (as he is prone to), would people be saying he should have done what he actually did?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

Sin é wrote:
I didn't accuse you of being anti-Munster - just having a 'thing' about a few Munster players who seem not being up to your high standards (ROG who seems to get up everyone's nose and should be apologising for wanting to play in the tournament in some people's opinion), Earls, MOD, Leamy, DOC, Ryan - all seem not up to your high standards.

When ROG comes on, apart from everything else he bring, he lifts the team who start playing with confidence.

When have I ever said anything about Ryan or MOD? I said numerous times on this thread that I was impressed with Ryan. On the Munster v Cardiff thread I stated that I thought MOD was very underrated (just before being accused of being anti Munster by DOD and BlueMuff Laugh).

I think Earls is one of the best backs Ireland and as for the others if they don't want a 'slagging' then they should play better Smile.

I admit ROG lifts the team which is one of the reasons I like bringing him of the bench.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

Sin é wrote:I don't know how the crossfield kick to Trimble could be considered a mistake. Maybe it wasn't executed correctly, but it wasn't a mistake to try it.

Intercepted passes happen. In this instance, the defence was organised well enough to deal with it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Denis Leamy has been criticised for not offloading to Cronin yesterday. If he had offloaded to Cronin and Cronin knocked on (as he is prone to), would people be saying he should have done what he actually did?

The crossfield kick to trimble was terrible execution and the wrong option so of course it is a mistake. And on the intercept pass nothing ventured nothing gained is pure bulls**t. It was a terrible pass, two minutes later trimble showed exactly how to throw that pass and kearney got in for a try.

Leamy should have offloaded to cronin, if cronin messes up then it is his fault.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

Standulstermen wrote:BlueMuff

You may have a point except i have consistently called for ROG to be starting! thumbsup
Doesnt mean i look over his mistakes. I also dont think Kidney will change now and im not sure how dropping Sexton now would effect the mood of the camp. for me Kidney has made his bed as regards picking Sexton. like i say though i dont think i can be accused of 'having it in' for ROG whilst i was calling for him to start against Oz last weekend!

SUU - apologies I took the quote out of context and note that you were actually being totally level about the selections all along thumbsup

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:40 pm

roddersm wrote:. Rog wasn't anything special yesterday and at times he was just passing ball along the line without trying to create anything. He made some poor decisions yesterday and I've no idea how he got motm as there were four players more deserving than him.

Becuase he marshalled a back line that ran in 9 tries. Granted it was against Russia

But what was the "anything special" that Sexton did against the USA (or Austrailia where all points came from pack).

Its becoming a myth at this stage that Sexton is better from open play cause he is not showing it on the pitch.

That and the fact that his kicking in the 6Ns and the WC have been poor to put it mildly.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
roddersm wrote:. Rog wasn't anything special yesterday and at times he was just passing ball along the line without trying to create anything. He made some poor decisions yesterday and I've no idea how he got motm as there were four players more deserving than him.

Becuase he marshalled a back line that ran in 9 tries. Granted it was against Russia

But what was the "anything special" that Sexton did against the USA (or Austrailia where all points came from pack).

Its becoming a myth at this stage that Sexton is better from open play cause he is not showing it on the pitch.

That and the fact that his kicking in the 6Ns and the WC have been poor to put it mildly.

Can you get the quotes correct please? That was Val who wrote that not me.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

roddersm wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:

Can you get the quotes correct please? That was Val who wrote that not me.

Doh Sorry

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

Gotta say Rodders I come down on ROG's side on this one. Sexton may suit our attacking play more but he's feck all use when he's kicking at 40%. The Wales game is going to be tight, but if the forwards give us a platform we should prevail. What we don't want is the forwards wrecking themselves for 80 minutes and Sexton firing kicks wide from all over the park. Not good enough for an international fly half at the moment. Not even close.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:51 pm

Sextons looked really uptight when hes been going in for kicks. It does seem the occassion is getting to him, which is odd because when he first came on the scene he seemed to be a big game player who upped his performaces for the big games ( and England the swine!)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

Interesting point about the backs scoring - against Russia with ROG at OH, 6 of the 7 tries were scored by backs. Both tries were scored by forwards when Sexton was on.

That means that in this tournament Tommy Bowe was the only back who managed to score a try with Sexton at OH against the USA.

Tries scored with Sexton OH: 4
Tries scored with ROG OH: 9 tries (2 from forwards, 7 from backs).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

OK No problem BlueMuff. Just don't want you attributing every critical comment against ROG to me Wink

Sin I don't think those stats really tell us anything. As long as the tries are scored thats all that matters.

Willy Sexton is on 50% kicking success and I agree that is not good enough. If he can't turn that around then he'll have to be dropped or at least shifted to 12 to accomodate ROG.

The other option is we play Wallace at 12 and let him take over the place kicking...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm

I would still start Sexton against Italy but if he doesnt perform by 1/2 time swap him with ROG. He was certainly the first choice coming into this RWC but he has lost that to ROG in my eyes. I feel much more confident with ROG in a tight game than Sexton.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

roddersm wrote: OK No problem BlueMuff. Just don't want you attributing every critical comment against ROG to me Wink

Sin I don't think those stats really tell us anything. As long as the tries are scored thats all that matters.

Willy Sexton is on 50% kicking success and I agree that is not good enough. If he can't turn that around then he'll have to be dropped or at least shifted to 12 to accomodate ROG.

The other option is we play Wallace at 12 and let him take over the place kicking...... Run

Isn't one of the reasons for starting Sexton before ROG is to get the backline moving? I don't have any issues with who scores to tries tbh, but its worth noting that Ireland have scored a lot more tries with ROG at OH.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

sexton 10, o'gara 12 would that work?

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:sexton 10, o'gara 12 would that work?

It would work for the opposition Wink ROG is too lightweight to play 12.

Sin its not so much about tries scored. It's about being able to retain the ball and open up tight defences. We made a lot of line breaks and half breaks against Australia and Sexton was a big part of that. He's able to take the ball to the gainline and either take contact himself or offload to runners either side.

ROG tends to play a lot deeper and ship the ball wide which works better when the game breaks up but isn't very effective against an organised defence, especially with our lack of midfield penetration. Against England everything was signposted and Trimble, Earls and Bowe were repeadly lined up and smashed. Sexton just has that bit more variety to his game and is able to pull defences around and open them up.

The bottom line could be the goal kicking though as you need a kicker with a >70% accuracy.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Do we all agree that with no injuries Kidney will pick the same team that started the Oz game? I cant see him making any changes personally.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

I can't see him making any changes Stand.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

I support Munster/ROG et al....but Whistle

Anyhow....ROG had a good game. Not perfect. Made a couple of meh mistakes which didnt cost us anything...unlike the tries... Erm Also Sexton made a number of mistakes when he was on..

Problem at the moment is Sextons kicking from hand/place is poor, his passing is one dimensional and he is a one trick pony (the wraparound is the only attacking ploy he has). He is excellent in defence and can take the ball up himself.

ROG at the moment has excellent place/hand kicking has a more varied passing game, the kick for McFaddens try could not have been executed by Sexton. He has weaknesses in defence but nothing major, he cannot bring the ball up which means defences can drift....

Bit of a dilema for DK no? ROG is playing better but am not 100% convinced he should start but what if 5 mins in Sexton has a relatively difficult kick and misses....the nerves get going and he gets an attack of the yips...that would be a disaster. Expect Italy to put us under pressure initially, what about those long touch finders that will be needed...not just a punt and hope for the best....

For the experienced head I would play ROG...

Also for those who are giving out about Buckley he was moved to Loosehead when Ross came on...he is rubbish at Loosehead he is merely ok at tighthead....still a good try when he got the chance...would love to see him coming on to a pop pass at full speed..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Good argument regarding ROG, DOD. highlights exactly the reasons why im unsure of who to start. Kidney has though nailed his colours to the mast i think on that issue.

Cant agree on Buckley. He shouldnt be anywhere near the 22. when you consider how solid Hayes looked for the Magners run in et al for Munster I was actually surprised Buckley got the nod.

we desperately need Healy, Ross and to a lesser extent Court all fit.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

I'd say Court is as vital as anyone now stand! Especially against Italy.

Bring back the bull!

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

I agree regarding The Bull...I dont rate Buckley...had his chance (much like D Williams) and didnt take it...

Interesting thing is ROG wouldnt be a great fan of DK....no one ever really likes their old teachers do they?

DK is unscrupulously fair so ROG loves putting him under pressure (did something similar in Munster)...

The main thing to note is publicly DK will just smile and nod and say nothing at all...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

roddersm wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:sexton 10, o'gara 12 would that work?

It would work for the opposition Wink ROG is too lightweight to play 12.

Sin its not so much about tries scored. It's about being able to retain the ball and open up tight defences. We made a lot of line breaks and half breaks against Australia and Sexton was a big part of that. He's able to take the ball to the gainline and either take contact himself or offload to runners either side.

ROG tends to play a lot deeper and ship the ball wide which works better when the game breaks up but isn't very effective against an organised defence, especially with our lack of midfield penetration. Against England everything was signposted and Trimble, Earls and Bowe were repeadly lined up and smashed. Sexton just has that bit more variety to his game and is able to pull defences around and open them up.

The bottom line could be the goal kicking though as you need a kicker with a >70% accuracy.

I always thought the reason why you wanted to open up tight defences was to score tries! What do you think is the real reason?

Against England, Sexton was on for 25 minutes and no tries were scored in that time (in fact there were no points won when he was on).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

Sin é wrote:
I always thought the reason why you wanted to open up tight defences was to score tries! What do you think is the real reason?

Against England, Sexton was on for 25 minutes and no tries were scored in that time (in fact there were no points won when he was on).

Off course thats the reason but whether tries are scored or not isn't just down to who is playing 10 at the time. The 10 can only instigate moves, dictate play and try and get the team in the correct area of the field. After that its a team effort to ensure the tries get scored.

It's not just about volume of tries either. 1 try in a tight game against England or France could be more important than 7 or 8 against Russia.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

DOD wrote:I agree regarding The Bull...I dont rate Buckley...had his chance (much like D Williams) and didnt take it...

Interesting thing is ROG wouldnt be a great fan of DK....no one ever really likes their old teachers do they?

DK is unscrupulously fair so ROG loves putting him under pressure (did something similar in Munster)...

The main thing to note is publicly DK will just smile and nod and say nothing at all...

Not too sure DK is unscrupulously fair DOD - most people would have thought it was fair to have Anthony Foley on the bench for the HC final, considering his contribution over the years, and it was unfair that Keith Earls was on the bench even though he had only ever played AIL and 1 or two Magners games then.

Kidney will always do what he considers right for the team. If he thinks its necessary to sort out Sexton's confidence issues by leaving O'Gara out, he will do so, but he won't risk losing this game.

Since Kidney has had ROG from a young age, he is partly responsible for turning ROG into the player/competitor he is - and what a competitor? Pity Sexton isn't more like him.

The difference between ROG & Sexton is that Sexton has never had to compete for a spot, even at Leinster. Contempomi was identified as first choice and only way he got past him was through injury. O'Gara had to see off a few over the years and that is standing to him now.

DOD, I don't know about ROG not getting on with Kidney. I seem to remember him saying a fair few nice things about him in his book. (Kidney bringing him for a Macdonalds when he saw how upset he was for some diciplinary issues). He also said that Declan always ran a happy camp and that he knew how to handle his cocky side!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Off course thats the reason but whether tries are scored or not isn't just down to who is playing 10 at the time. The 10 can only instigate moves, dictate play and try and get the team in the correct area of the field. After that its a team effort to ensure the tries get scored.

It's not just about volume of tries either. 1 try in a tight game against England or France could be more important than 7 or 8 against Russia.

Well, it seems ROG is very successful at instigating moves, dictating play and getting the team into the correct field position if you go on the number of tries scored. Against the same opposition (USA) tries scored with OHs: Sexton = 1; O'Gara 2.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

Sin é wrote:DOD, I don't know about ROG not getting on with Kidney. I seem to remember him saying a fair few nice things about him in his book. (Kidney bringing him for a Macdonalds when he saw how upset he was for some diciplinary issues).

Laugh Now I've heard it all! Maybe thats all Sexton needs, Kidney to buy him a happy meal! Hug
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:DOD, I don't know about ROG not getting on with Kidney. I seem to remember him saying a fair few nice things about him in his book. (Kidney bringing him for a Macdonalds when he saw how upset he was for some diciplinary issues).

Laugh Now I've heard it all! Maybe thats all Sexton needs, Kidney to buy him a happy meal! Hug

Kidney has been buying Sexton happy meals for the last 2 years. Time he showed his appreciation.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Kidney has been buying Sexton happy meals for the last 2 years. Time he showed his appreciation.

Well, after ROG spat the dummy after the Oz game, started whinging and threatening to quit, maybe he should be let keep his toy this week?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

Boyne wrote:
Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Well, after ROG spat the dummy after the Oz game, started whinging and threatening to quit, maybe he should be let keep his toy this week?

As long as he backs it up with performances like Saturday I dont think anyone will have anything to complain about. Itll ultimately be to Irelands benefit

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

Boyne wrote:
Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Did he threaten to quit? If anything he is probably forcing Kidney to pick Sexton with that kind of threat as he is going to need Sexton when he does retire. Whistle

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

Sin é wrote:I don't know how the crossfield kick to Trimble could be considered a mistake. Maybe it wasn't executed correctly, but it wasn't a mistake to try it.

Just wondering Sin e, but do you really think Leamy wasn't at fault for not passing the ball? It looked a certain try if he did (had Cronin not knocked it on).. Leamy clearly should have passed it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:08 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
Boyne wrote:
Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

As long as he backs it up with performances like Saturday I dont think anyone will have anything to complain about. Itll ultimately be to Irelands benefit

Not a perfect performance by any manner of means. He'd want to watch his cross field kicks and his loose passes. Plus, we will need 3 back rowers against the big boys. Not 2 back rowers and a baby sitter.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Just wondering Sin e, but do you really think Leamy wasn't at fault for not passing the ball? It looked a certain try if he did (had Cronin not knocked it on).. Leamy clearly should have passed it.

Dont worry. Sin E will come up with a ream of stats as to why Leamy didnt have an absolute mare (knock ons, penos and glory hunting) to justify as to why it wasnt Leamys fault.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Hanging onto the ball and recycling it is conservative, its hardly a massive error. If he had offloaded the ball and if there was an intercept Wink / Cronin got turned over, he would be criticised even more.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

Actually thought Leamy had a really good game when he came on. Would be interested in seeing his ball carrying stats but he definitely appeared to have 3/4 good runs. And ball carrying is something we are struggling with SOB and Ferris apart.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

Sin e, Cronin looked to have a clear run to the try line. Now had that been the decider in a much tighter game, it would have definitely been a massive error and I'm sure he would be heavily criticised.

Also if I remember in my lurking days you criticised Wallace quite heavily for not passing to Earls in the six nations?

Pretty selective criticism if you ask me!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:30 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Sin e, Cronin looked to have a clear run to the try line. Now had that been the decider in a much tighter game, it would have definitely been a massive error and I'm sure he would be heavily criticised.

Also if I remember in my lurking days you criticised Wallace quite heavily for not passing to Earls in the six nations?

Pretty selective criticism if you ask me!

First of all it wasn't a vital score and there was time to recycle. Who knows what he would have done if it was a vital score.

Secondly, Earls is a fantastic finisher and was in great form for the 6Ns. Cronin has a reputation for knocking on, though I suppose Wallace was trying to make life easy for Sexton to make the conversion.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:31 pm

Ok, whatever about the rest of his appearance, and i did think it was good, Leamy had NO business not passing. If Cronin phooked up collecting the pass that would be exclusively his fault so long as the pass was in anyway decent. Cronin would have been 8metres max from the line with no one to beat (in front of him) and is prob one of the fastest hookers in the RWC.

Stop defending the indefensible, it was a bad decision, for whatever reason he made it.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:37 pm

debaters1 wrote:Ok, whatever about the rest of his appearance, and i did think it was good, Leamy had NO business not passing. If Cronin phooked up collecting the pass that would be exclusively his fault so long as the pass was in anyway decent. Cronin would have been 8metres max from the line with no one to beat (in front of him) and is prob one of the fastest hookers in the RWC.

Stop defending the indefensible, it was a bad decision, for whatever reason he made it.

Totally agree. I think it is pretty funny you can still manage to defend Leamy for butchering a potential try that was very likely to be scored. And yes I realise Cronin's handling hasn't been strong, but if he had dropped it I highly doubt anybody would be criticising Leamy for that as you seem to think.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

I was asked directly what I thought of his not offloading to Cronin. I don't think it was a big deal since the consequences were not that serious. Thats hardly defending the indefensible!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next