The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A change of direction for Kirwan?

4 posters

Go down

A change of direction for Kirwan? Empty A change of direction for Kirwan?

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

John Kirwan has come out today after his side's 23 all draw with Canada stating that he viewed the Japanese campaign as disappointing and that he may stand aside as a result. If we put that to the side for a moment and focus on where he could head, there may be an opportunity to exploit in NZ which could excite Long suffering Lions and Hurricanes fans.

I rate Kirwan and think given tim he could well be a great AB coach. To do this he needs experience in tue NZ game as a coach but so far has been an assistant at the Blues. Now, interestingly, Wellington Lions coach Andre Bell has been axed after one season so an opportunity exists there. Given that Wellington is in the heart of Hurricanes land, should he get that job and deliver, then the pressure would be immense on the man who has done so much to rip apart the fabric of the Hurricanes, Mark Hammett. Kirwan could foreseeably take over the Hurricanes in 2013 if results went his way but not Hammett's. If he took the role of Hurricanes coach then this would be his AB trial and what better team to turnaround than my beloved basketcase?

Stay tuned, I think I may be on to something here.....

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

A change of direction for Kirwan? Empty Re: A change of direction for Kirwan?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Scotlan'd backs coach? We can probably pay him at least ... 5p? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm

He'd get more in Scotland than for Wellington!

However, I'm sure his long term goal is the AB spot

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Or could he be looking for a head job at one of the european teams. After all atleast one of us will axe a coach at the end of the RWC. After all it didn't do Heny any harm, and Gatland is also supposedly rated highly back home (or so the welsh press make out).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

Forget about Gatland, he'll never be an All Black coach....that'd be like raising the white flag for us

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

Come and join Warren at Wales instead of Howley, you can then watch your Protégé George North at work thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:Forget about Gatland, he'll never be an All Black coach....that'd be like raising the white flag for us

Couldn't agree more.

What I meant is that maybe taking over the reigns of Scotland (if England put them out), Ireland (if Italy put them out) or England (if Scotland put them out) may not be a bad idea (as most likely the current coach would be removed from office). After all he could prove what he can do with a higher teir international side then.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Yes, he could scarlet however he wouldn't get the nod as AB coach until he has done his time down south. Any stint in a job elsewhere in the world just makes the path longer. He's already been away for a good 8 years plus. He's shown what he can do with scarce resources or playing power.

He's introduced the Bergamasco brothers to us, he brought a bit of steel to Japan and the fact that he is disappointed with the results says a lot for how far Japan has come. Who would have thought they'd be in with a shot of beating France with 10 min to go?

If he wants to be an AB coach, it's definitely the right time to get back home. There is no obvious standout candidate at the moment so whoever gets the nod when Ted leaves (prob Hansen) will be under extreme pressure to maintain results. If they do not, then they will most certainly get the chop. Kirwan could be banking on a right place/right time scenario here.

Another coach I'd like to see come home as a potential for the AB's - Vern Cotter.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down