The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Superfights gone forever???

+6
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
sherm
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 3 Empty Are Superfights gone forever???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Contentious issue this but I remember when Tyson was about to fight Spinks, Hagler to fight Leonard, Leonard to fight Duran etc...everybody was talking about it......Hugely awaited spectacle by the whole community not just the Boxing one....even non-sports fans were interested!!

It was really back page and front page news and everybody had a prediction Boxing fan or not!!

Mayweather vs Manny isn't really a superfight as I believe superfighters transcend the sport....Holmes, Tyson, The fab four almost everybody knew who they were...

Sad as it seems a lot of people don't know who Manny and to a lesser extent Floyd is!!! It's not their fault really...PPv.....lot's of titles have killed interest with mainstream sports fans and the casual observer.....

Are Superfights gone Forever??? Sad...but I think they are!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are Superfights gone forever???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

You're always reluctant to see my points Shah....

But I forgive you...It's the American way!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are Superfights gone forever???

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

Truss, you're 100 percent right about the fact that boxing isn't the sport that it once was. Maybe I'm overestimating the impact worldwide that it'll have but I think that if there is a fight to take boxing out of the doldrums then this is it. Leonard-Duran mark 2? On a basic level maybe? Obviously I wasn't even born in the 70s or 80s but I just think this could appeal to the same demographic judging by what I've read. Maybe its on a smaller scale but I still think its deserving of a superfight title.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're always reluctant to see my points Shah....

But I forgive you...It's the American way!! Cool

Thats because you always deliberatly coat it in a ton of crap to get people talking/dribbling in a rabid fury - its tiring looking for the point behind it.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

Nothing like speaking your mind...... better out than in Shah!!! Cool

Can't see how it gets Boxing out of the doldrums when such a small audience will be viewing it...Boss!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm

Manny Floyd would make an impact but not much compared to the Fab 4 due to reasons Truss mentions about tv exposure and politics.

If it did go down, I'd root for a Manny win but would amazed if Floyd didn't win. Manny won't cope with his speed.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

Obviously the small audience would be due to extortionate ppv prices...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

Starting to doubt myself here Truss. Think I might have been judging this all a bit too relatively. As in I'm judging it as the biggest fight in the past 10/15 years. Never really thought about the difference between it being on Terrestrial TV as opposed to PPV like the good old superfights. The extortionate PPV prices will be paid for by A LOT more people than the last few fights each have had put together but I suppose that's still nowhere near the audience watching Tyson or the Fab 4.

However, I'm still of the opinion that it'll be talked about massively even if not everyone watches it. Would you agree with me saying that it would be a superfight for this era? Relatively speaking? I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who was not around in the golden era of boxing and so was not immersed in the atmosphere surrounding the truly big fights. And this could be where I'm making mistakes. Tjeres only so much you can learn from books I suppose!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm

That's the thing Froch against Pascal had more viewers in this country than any Pacquiao or Mayweather fight has had in America due to PPV.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

Didn't know that Ghosty! Cheers! Sort of puts things into perspective now.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

Something like 8 million compared to an average of about 1.2 million for a recent Pacquiao or Mayweather fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

Could you tell me the thought process of Hennesy getting Froch off terrestrial and onto primetime then?I can't get my head around that. Maybe naïve of me. Trade exposure for money?i

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:16 pm

He burnt his bridges with the Taylor fight I believe where he wanted more money than they were willing to pay which is why it ended up on a delayed showing.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm

Ah right, cheers mate! Would be great to get it back on terrestrial TV. Tyson Fury's a start I suppose Wink

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

I think it depends what you class as a superfight. Given that boxing was especially popular in 1980s but that's largely from an American and UK angle and your article fails to take into account that now, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing (it's a bad thing) boxing is more popular in Europe and by that I don't mean the UK.

Most people in this day and age would take a unification fight or two p4p stars going at it as a superfight. Meanwhile in Germany, Marco Huck versus my office cleaner is also a superfight.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

....and my office cleaner is called Dorothy.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3