The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Superfights gone forever???

+6
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
sherm
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 2 Empty Are Superfights gone forever???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Contentious issue this but I remember when Tyson was about to fight Spinks, Hagler to fight Leonard, Leonard to fight Duran etc...everybody was talking about it......Hugely awaited spectacle by the whole community not just the Boxing one....even non-sports fans were interested!!

It was really back page and front page news and everybody had a prediction Boxing fan or not!!

Mayweather vs Manny isn't really a superfight as I believe superfighters transcend the sport....Holmes, Tyson, The fab four almost everybody knew who they were...

Sad as it seems a lot of people don't know who Manny and to a lesser extent Floyd is!!! It's not their fault really...PPv.....lot's of titles have killed interest with mainstream sports fans and the casual observer.....

Are Superfights gone Forever??? Sad...but I think they are!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Superfights gone forever???

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

I take it your a grown man so I wont respond, goodnight to you
you only make yourself look a fool, in no post have you answered my questions.
I hate to pity a fully grown man but you make it hard

sherm

Back to top Go down

Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Superfights gone forever???

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

Great stuff Truss.

You may be right not many boxers are cross over stars any more. Mayweather and Pacquiao are the exception to the rule atm but they aren't going to fight each other.

The way boxing has became more of a niche sport over the years because of PPV and satellite TV means the good old days are long gone.

Unless America produce a dominant heavyweight I doubt we will ever see a 'superfighter' again.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Ali v Foreman captured the imagination.....Hagler v leonard..Leonard vs duran...Tyson vs Spinks.....

Because they were big names and transcended the boxing fraternity....Perhaps through exposure and reputation as well as talent..

May vs Manny don't transcend in the same way.......

Huge, huge fight but for me lacks the essence of a superfight!! Where people in every Boxing Country Boxing fans or not are eagerly anticipating the clash...

Think ppv is a reason for it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

Your opinion is welcome Sugar as always and I think you see where I'm coming from..

But I don't mind people disagreeing with me.... it's all debate....

But please be more chilled out than the stalker above..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

pathetic

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

I knew you'd be back....because you're very sensitive..

Rebutted all your questions..you didn't like the answers....

Your a husband and father now.....time to get a back bone..kiddo.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

PPV is a major factor the price of a fight on PPV in America is something like $60! If your a casual fan your not going to stump up that sort of cash to often.

Over here I think it's satellite TV that has harmed the sport. Yes they originally brought more money into the sport but in terms of popularity it has suffered.

When boxing was on free to air TV everyone knew who the top boxers in this country were.

I generally judge a fighters popularity by if my Mum knows who they are. Guys like Froch, Cleverly, Brook and the likes she has no clue of. Tyson Fury on the other hand she is a big fan of!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:36 pm

Absolutely Sugar it wasn't a pop at May or Manny.....It's just that there was more exposure to the fighters outlined in my thread..much more space devoted to Boxing.. and less titles to turn people away!!

Sign of the times but for me they don't transend the sport like superfighters should....

You make excellent points..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:56 pm

Stalker? thats a hell of an acusation as i`m pretty sure sure we have not debated before.
would that be an attempt to deflect attention away from the fact your article has been shown to be redundant and only an exercise in wum and bordom on your part?
but then you all ready know that, if I wasnt at work I wouldnt be here whats your excuse?

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:01 pm

sherm wrote:Stalker? thats a hell of an acusation as i`m pretty sure sure we have not debated before.
would that be an attempt to deflect attention away from the fact your article has been shown to be redundant and only an exercise in wum and bordom on your part?
but then you all ready know that, if I wasnt at work I wouldnt be here whats your excuse?

That's not true it's a fair point boxing is nowhere near as popular a sport as it used to be.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:02 pm

which is the point I made at the start, which reletively makes manny floyd a super fight

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

which means it trancends the sport as it get the casual[punter involved which is what the op is alluding too

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

Thought you were going to bed???

Your opinion is welcome sherm....but you do need chill out..

Maybe our definitions of superfight are different..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:06 pm

@Sherm

Not in comparison to superfights of the past which have really caught the non boxing fans attention like the fab 4 did.

Last edited by SugarRayRussell on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:06 pm

maybe our definition of debate is differant?

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

"different"

I'm not being insulted by you anymore....just go..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

TRUSS if Pac vs Pretty doesn't get made then i say yes, they are.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

was froch ward not a superfight? the culmination of one of the most dynamic tournaments in recent history pitting the best versus the best(excluding bute) albeit not with the viewers as yesteryear (which I adfmited too im my first few posts) but relatively speaking in todays day and age its a superfight, as was hatton/floyd.
are you honestly trying to tell me that the last superfight was in the 80`s?

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

how have I insulted you ?

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

Think you're being a tad over generous to Hagler and Spinks here Trussy, yes they were well known in the build up to their respective 'superfights' but that was more to do with there opposition than them personally.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

Not bad davide Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:15 pm

Ward vs Froch was not a superfight. Neither is a recognisable name to the general public. A superfight needs superstars. I wouldn't say you need to go as far back as the 80's probably DeLaHoya vs Chavez or Mayweather imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:16 pm

Hearns and Minter did help...and Spinks beat Larry twice and had great pr...

but you know what I don't mind you disagreeing ghost we've had our fights....

But this stalkers attitude sucks...I believe what I believe and I'm entitled to express it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

Imperial Ghosty v Trussman is a Superfight in ego terms at least Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

Ive been called a stalker told to get a girlfriend all from the person that delights in telling us he/she has a new born, but yet is on here every evening trying to be argumentative.
think that says more about you then me/us,, like I said I`m at work whats your excuse?

go bond with your child,or maybe not,, I think the latter and the child may thank you for it

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:20 pm

And just like Money May i'm still unbeaten Smile

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

He is entitled to express it!!!

Shouldn't boxing be showcasing a super fight once every three years at least?

And don't give me the, 'but emore, it takes a superstar to have super fights'. Well, the Ryder Cup is a huge event each year and golfers can be cans too. Tennis got the Slams regardless of the era, and boxing got the belts. Hype the belts, so get the stars! And we have had gifted fighters in every decade too.

But alas, the super duper fight could be gone if Pac don't get it on with Floyd...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:25 pm

Because you've not had a blood test yet Wink

Sherm unless you see what you want to see written under my name you won't drop it....

Incessant ramblings of yours are irritating..

If I've abused I apologise.....but stop hounding....

Don't want to see you kicked off 606 again...that's irritating in it's regularity too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

Gets old getting kicked off, keep it clean Sherm...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You think.....Just can't see five pages devoted to it in the newspapers.....

Just don't think these guys are big enough.......

Can't see it capturing the imagination....like big names could!!

Oscar-Floyd wasn't a superfight..

Hope you're ok shengy..

It's a valid point Truss, boxing has lost many casual fans and it's the casual fans who give the sport its wider, mainstream appeal.

In my office is a perfect example, my boss used to enjoy the big fights before PPV and whenever I talk about boxing, I don't think he knows who Manny or Floyd are, certainly wouldn't be moved to buy a PPV and watch them fight. It's these people which transcend fights into the broader public arena.

So whilst Manny vs Floyd is a superfight to us and may break records for grossing $s, when compared to the great heavyweight era of Ali, Frazier, Foreman et al and the welter to middleweight battles of Leonard and co, for most casual sport fans, Manny vs Floyd doesn't come close.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

It does take superstars to make superfights...why they are superfights!!

Superfights do need fighters to transcend...

Both are great fighters but not necessarily superfighters...for me anyway..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

davidemore wrote:He is entitled to express it!!!

Shouldn't boxing be showcasing a super fight once every three years at least?

And don't give me the, 'but emore, it takes a superstar to have super fights'. Well, the Ryder Cup is a huge event each year and golfers can be cans too. Tennis got the Slams regardless of the era, and boxing got the belts. Hype the belts, so get the stars! And we have had gifted fighters in every decade too.

But alas, the super duper fight could be gone if Pac don't get it on with Floyd...

In the sports you mentioned the best regularly compete against the best. That isn't the case in boxing. This and other reasons I have already mentioned are imo the reason we will never see a superfight like we did in the past ever again.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

The best in golf and Tennis are also showcased every week on terrestrial generally anyway....and they get more newspaper space..

Tumbling that's kind of the way I look at it.....like a huge trade fight without hitting the common man...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:38 pm

Never been kicked,, more of a reader then a poster.
from the first post I made a fool of you and your post
But when my integtrity is questioned i`ll respond, go to your child you sad argumentative little man. now lets see if i`m booted now, as i was insulted first

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

Yes exactly, huge fight without hitting the common man. Even though for us, it would be a mega event.

I see you're still charming all the members of the board...

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

Yeah you made a fool of me with your first post...That's why you were going to bed half an hour a go and you're still here!!!

Sensitive boy......I've rebutted you enough...

That bed is waiting for you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

Come on Sherm, it's just a chat about boxing where we're all writing under silly pseudonyms.

Nothing to get serious over.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:45 pm

Truss, I see where you're coming from but I think you're underestimating just how big Floyd and Manny are over here. They might not be as big a name relatively speaking as the Fab 4 were in their day but I would class a fight between them as a superfight.

Of my group of friends, only 2 of us are big boxing fans. The others become slightly more interested around the time of Floyd or Manny's fights and I often have to explain why they have never fought each other. Just after reading your article I've got to thinking about how smart their respective foghts with Ricky Hatton were. The foghts opened up uncountable new avenues for fans for each fighter in the UK and Ireland who never would have heard of them. Of the big boxing strongholds of the world I can't see where the fight wouldn't sell to the casual fans. They have South America, USA, Canada and most of mainland Europe cornered in my opinion. Ricky could prove to have been 1 of if not, the most important fight for each of them to make this a Superfight.

What's your view on this?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

Everybody is welcome to post with an opposite opinion...

But i'm allowed to have mine and as I've backed mine up those opinions are legitimate...

end of..the guy needs to chill...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

Truss, I see where you're coming from but I think you're underestimating just how big Floyd and Manny are over here. They might not be as big a name relatively speaking as the Fab 4 were in their day but I would class a fight between them as a superfight.

Of my group of friends, only 2 of us are big boxing fans. The others become slightly more interested around the time of Floyd or Manny's fights and I often have to explain why they have never fought each other. Just after reading your article I've got to thinking about how smart their respective foghts with Ricky Hatton were. The foghts opened up uncountable new avenues for fans for each fighter in the UK and Ireland who never would have heard of them. Of the big boxing strongholds of the world I can't see where the fight wouldn't sell to the casual fans. They have South America, USA, Canada and most of mainland Europe cornered in my opinion. Ricky could prove to have been 1 of if not, the most important fight for each of them to make this a Superfight.

What's your view on this?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

Yes, the common man is needed for super fights. Especially when you consider most fans are working class or even the underclass...

We forget that the underclass can't afford golf clubs or tennis rackets. And that they are predominately white sports where as boxing is much more multi racial....

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

Bossman - Your like that Jimmy Two Times from Casino Are Superfights gone forever??? - Page 2 810156456

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:48 pm

It's an interesting take boss man but I honestly don't think they had that much foresight.

Hatton was just a money ticket as he packed out the arenas and was an easy win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:49 pm

Don't think anyone outside of America is buying the fight, Hatton has raised the pairs profile in this country to a degree but not enough to make the fight more widespread.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:50 pm

Shah I need to get my opinion across! Haha. I live in an area with a poor internet connection and it sometimes tells me my comment hasn't sent when it actually has. Apologies!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:50 pm

tell that to the little ozzy who quit on his stool tumbling....

at elite level he didn't quite have it but he was genuine world class...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

My view is you could have a point... but I believe that Boxing just isn't the sport it was and with all it's crazy politics has turned lot's and lot's of people away....

I just don't see the fight transcending to the man on the street but that's my opinion and hey I may have called it wrong..

I don't get the hunger outside of boxing circles as I got for other high profile fights mainly because Boxing isn't as bigger sport and it isn't as available to the masses...

Hence exposure problems....and name recognition factors..

Like I said deserves to be one but isn't for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:53 pm

Ghosty, I genuinely do think they have that sort of appeal. Although I am over here in Ireland. I know that there won't be many people not talking about the fight over here should it be made.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

super fight gone if pac doesn't happen. and we all should blame bob arum.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:58 pm

If Mayweather Pacquiao was on terrestrial TV - Boxing would be back up and running with 4-6 years. I'm reluctanctly beginning to see Truss's point although - In Luton at least it will be a big thing. So much Pac fans. I hope Mayweather beats him silly or I won't be able to walk the streets due to the toxic smugness in the air.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next