The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico.

+12
azania
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Michaels, Sean
Rowley
Sugar Boy Sweetie
The Galveston Giant
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ArchBritishchris
BALTIMORA
wow_junky
STC
16 posters

Go down

Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico. Empty Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico.

Post by STC Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:34 am

Ryan Rhodes has been made mandatory challenger for Saul Alvarez's WBC light middleweight title. A date has been provisionally set for June 18th.

I think this is a great chance for Ryan should the fight come off. He may need a stoppage to beat Alvarez in Mexico but he is more than capable of acheiving this.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico. Empty Re: Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico.

Post by wow_junky Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:37 am

I dunno, Alvarez is still very raw but Rhodes went life and death with Jamie Moore 18 months ago. Moore is good but only EU level at best - Alvarez is comfortably above that I think - top 10 world level

Should be a good fight though, hopefully Rhodes doesn't have too much ring rust come fight night

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico. Empty Re: Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico.

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:39 am

Fighting a Mexican, in Mexico, for the Mexican belt? Grab your ankles, Ryan...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:55 am

Rhodes is on a great run, been ranked highly at LMW for a long time now. He is deserving of the shot, there was talk of him fighting Angulo in a elimination contest, but don't see why Rhodes shouldn't be first pick.

The fight against Moore was an excellent one and cermented his reputaton. He's no slouch in the punching department ether. I would say Rhodes is getting on a bit and is somewhat of a veteran these days. Alvarez has looked comprehensive in his last few fights and its a tall order for Rhodes. But, good luck to him, if he keeps pushing Alvarez for 9-10 rounds he could get something from the fight.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:05 pm

I think the Rhodes v Moore fight proves he is up to the challegne.

Fight being in Mexico proves that he will have to probably take him out but Alvarez out but Alvarez has been hurt in previous fights and was down against Jose Cotto who was a blown up lightweight. Rhodes does have a little meat behind his punches and is technically sound which could cause Alvarez problems.

I assume this will be at 154?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:07 pm

Good news for Rhodes if it comes off, truth be told he was probably tearing his hair out when he discovered that Hatton was getting a shot at 154 lb ahead of him. I tend to rate Rhodes a lot higher than some on here, his win over Moore showed what he's capable of but I have to say, while it's a good profile-raiser and money-maker for him, I don't see him beating Alvarez, even forgetting the fact that Alvarez has got home advantage stacked in his favour.

It's a potentially interesting match as they both get hit more than they'd like, however I'd have to give the edge to Alvarez in the power department (although Rhodes does have enough whack to make it uncomfortable for most Light-Middleweights), and I also reckon that stamina might come on to play. I'm not critisizing Rhodes in this department at all, but he's going up against a pair of legs fourteen years younger than his own and, while not everyone is sold on Alvarez, he does seem to pace himself fairly well and still throws with good regularity until the latter stages.

It remains to be seen how Alvarez deals with a top class southpaw, but my gut feeling is that he's a little too robust and powerful for Rhodes, and slugs his way to a tough decision. Will certainly be a more competitive bout than the Hatton one, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm

Interesting to see a top prospect from the other side of the world take on two british guys in a row, Rhodes hits harder than Hatton so could at least give Alvarez something to think about in there.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 23 Mar 2011, 1:15 pm

Soldier_Of _Fortune wrote:I think the Rhodes v Moore fight proves he is up to the challegne.
I agree. At the time Jamie Moore was on a run of top-class performances and was knocking on the door of a world title shot. As good as Alvarez is, he isn't any better than Moore was at the time when Ryan Rhodes beat him. Alvarez has only beaten Matthew Hatton to win the title, that's the difference in levels we are talking. Also, Rhodes hits a lot harder than Hatton ever could, he's also technically better than Hatton. I give Rhodes every chance of beating Alvarez.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:06 pm

About time. Rhodes is a couple of levels above Matt hatton in terms of ability - hatton is game but very limited. Add to thus the fact he's a pillow puncher at 147 and he was never gonna bother Alvarez even at the catchweight of 150lb. Rhodes has the ability and southpaw stance to cause Alvarez problems. Alvarez isn't hard to hit, and he was in a world of trouble against JM Cotto whose power is nothing compared to RR. I think if he trains hard, doesn't get overwhelmed by the occasion and fights a sensible box-punch fight this is a very winnable match for Rhodes. Alvarez has talent no doubt, and to be 36-0 at 21 is impressive, but his best wins have been N'Dou and Baldimor, so Rhodes is a step up for him just as much as he is a big challenge for Rhodes. I'd wager Alvarez by decision, especially in Mexico, but that's not to say I'd be surprised if Rhodes pulled it off, he gas a great chance.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:14 pm

Think people are being harsh writing Rhodes off he beat Jamie Moore and as all old time 606ers know Jamie Moore had the beating of Sugar Ray Robinsonm anyone who can beat him should make short work of Alvarez

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:27 pm

rowley wrote:Think people are being harsh writing Rhodes off he beat Jamie Moore and as all old time 606ers know Jamie Moore had the beating of Sugar Ray Robinsonm anyone who can beat him should make short work of Alvarez

thumbsup You know it.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

nobody deserves a win more than The Spice Boy.Good luck to him-he will need it. I'm not going anywhere near putting money on him tho.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

Re: Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico.
by 88Chris05 Today at 12:07 pm

Good news for Rhodes if it comes off, truth be told he was probably tearing his hair out when he discovered that Hatton was getting a shot at 154 lb ahead of him.
--------------------------------------------

Are we talking pubic hair here?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:39 pm

Point taken, Sean; probably not the most astute line I've ever typed!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Re: Rhodes v Alvarez - June 18th in Mexico.
by 88Chris05 Today at 12:07 pm

Good news for Rhodes if it comes off, truth be told he was probably tearing his hair out when he discovered that Hatton was getting a shot at 154 lb ahead of him.
--------------------------------------------

Are we talking pubic hair here?

laughing

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 23 Mar 2011, 2:42 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Point taken, Sean; probably not the most astute line I've ever typed!

Well it has led me to having a private chuckle at the thought of a boxer trying to pull his pubic hair out with gloves on so I must thank you for lightening my day.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 23 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

Really hope this fight happens. I reallys like Alvarez but I am mindful that Matthew Hatton is the best fighter he has ever fought at a weight that didn't suit Matthew. I was impressed with Alvarez but he is still only 21. I wonder about his temprament he can be very guilty of playing to the crowd and trying to have a scrap. If he falls into this trap Rhodes may be able to outbox him but I just can't see past the Mexican to young to fresh for 34 year old who has been a bit inactive.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Mar 2011, 8:47 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Fighting a Mexican, in Mexico, for the Mexican belt? Grab your ankles, Ryan...

Hahahahahahahahaa!!!!!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 24 Mar 2011, 9:01 am

i think rhodes will go into this quite confident- with hatton taking alvarez all the way to a decesion, as in my opinion rhodes has slightly more power in his shots and is technically better- as well as having bags of experience

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossi Thu 24 Mar 2011, 10:45 am

I actually think Rhodes has a lot more power than Hatton, and if Alvarez fights the same fight against Rhodes as he did against Hatton, he will need to have a very good chin to go the distance.

The question is, will he fight the same way? Walking through punches and staying in range in order to get his own shots off was fine against Hatton - he knew from early in the fight that Hatton's power (or lack of) was nothing to worry about.

I am not sure he will do the same in this fight.

I still actually slightly favour Rhodes for this, though.

Rossi

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 10:48 am

Rossi wrote:I actually think Rhodes has a lot more power than Hatton, and if Alvarez fights the same fight against Rhodes as he did against Hatton, he will need to have a very good chin to go the distance.

The question is, will he fight the same way? Walking through punches and staying in range in order to get his own shots off was fine against Hatton - he knew from early in the fight that Hatton's power (or lack of) was nothing to worry about.

I imagine GBP think Rhodes is very beatable. Hope he does a number on Alvarez.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossi Thu 24 Mar 2011, 10:52 am

Me too.

I am a long time reader, by the way, going back several years on 606v1, but that was my first post.

Seems a bit weird to get a response from such a familiar 606v2 name!!

Rossi

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 10:58 am

Rossi wrote:Me too.

I am a long time reader, by the way, going back several years on 606v1, but that was my first post.

Seems a bit weird to get a response from such a familiar 606v2 name!!

Dont get too excited mate. You duplicated the post. Very Happy

Anyway, welcome Rossi. Post early and post often thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossi Thu 24 Mar 2011, 11:01 am

Yeah, a bit keen there - feel like the new kid at school!!

Rossi

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 24 Mar 2011, 11:52 am

Rossi wrote:I actually think Rhodes has a lot more power than Hatton, and if Alvarez fights the same fight against Rhodes as he did against Hatton, he will need to have a very good chin to go the distance.

Alvarez can't do the same in this fight or he will make it very easy for RR. Think Alvarez will try and box behind his jab a bit more and look to land big shots off the back of the jab. Don't think RR will win think Alvarez has got more to him than we've seen so far but think we have seen the best of Rhodes.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 26 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

I fancy Rhodes for the upset. Alvarez look a bit meat and potatoes, head straight up, frustrates easily - Rhodes could be a nightmare for him. Intriguing match.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 26 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

Haz, good to see you over here mate. You were missed when you departed the old 606. You'll be pleased to know this is a CEEJ free zone

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 26 Mar 2011, 10:20 am

Ha, good to hear from you Jeff, been a while! Very Happy

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 26 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

Be interesting, still not convinced about Canelo at all.

Big worry if i were a fan would be his chin. Quite how he got wobbled by a blown up lightweight is beyond me..

Might have a cheeky few £s on Rhodes to land that magic punch. And lets be honest Alvarez ain't exactly Whitaker when it comes to avoiding incoming fire.

Would worry if it went to the scorecards though. He could probably KO the eyes out of him and would still end up losing a UD!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Sat 26 Mar 2011, 3:59 pm

rowley wrote:Haz, good to see you over here mate. You were missed when you departed the old 606. You'll be pleased to know this is a CEEJ free zone
Amen to that!
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 26 Mar 2011, 4:46 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Be interesting, still not convinced about Canelo at all.

Big worry if i were a fan would be his chin. Quite how he got wobbled by a blown up lightweight is beyond me..

Might have a cheeky few £s on Rhodes to land that magic punch. And lets be honest Alvarez ain't exactly Whitaker when it comes to avoiding incoming fire.

Would worry if it went to the scorecards though. He could probably KO the eyes out of him and would still end up losing a UD!

Agreed. Rhodes could thoroughly outbox him. But even if that happens, RR will still lose.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down