The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez vs Rhodes signed

+2
The Galveston Giant
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
6 posters

Go down

Alvarez vs Rhodes signed  Empty Alvarez vs Rhodes signed

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:47 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6316398
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Alvarez vs Rhodes signed  Empty Re: Alvarez vs Rhodes signed

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:00 am

I expect Rhodes to do better than Hatton but can't see anything other than a victory for Alvarez, great to see one of boxing's best prospects in the ring yet again with a british fighter, i feel more able to judge Alvarez fighting someone i know rather than some random, altough at this stage in his career there should't be anymore random opponents.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:08 am

The fact this is his mandatory is good. It will leave him to go for a big fight after Rhodes. Good to see Rhodes getting the fight he must have been stewing when Hatton got it. Can't see Rhodes winning I'm a big Alvarez fan rate him as the best up and comer in boxing today. Hope after Rhodes he goes after Cotto once he gets Rhodes out the way.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:22 am

I dont rate the Alvarez I saw against Hatton. If that is his best or near best, then Rhodes should win in the eyes of all except for the judges.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 am

Rhodes deserves his shot Prettyboy your right, he's been about the game a long time and this i feel is his last chance, and it couldn't come any tougher. Alvarez isn't quite the finished article yet, but feel once he steps up in class and fights the Cotto's of this world, he'll come into his own. My future P4P no.1 for sure, here's hoping he doesn't go like my last one which was Mr Cotto himself, who's fell short but has had a great career.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:27 am

I said I felt Alvarez would be a future P4P#1 as well. It's an easy thing to get wrong though I've tipped a few got 1 right and that was FMJ although that wasn't hard. Zab Judah was probably my worst although I did say #2 never felt he was ever good enough to beat FMJ even before he lost to Tszyu.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:39 am

There was a lot of hype around Judah in the early part of his career and for good reason in my opinion, he was blowing guys away with blistering speed. He was never the same after Tyszu. Was really impressed with him last time out but tougher challenges are ahead.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:41 am

I liked him he did get into a bit of trouble out of the ring as well as in it. Will probably go down as a waste of talent which is a shame but it's his own fault.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wright Hook Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:36 pm

I wouldn't write Rhodes chances off in this fight. He is alot better fighter than people give him credit for. He has an awkward style and throws punches from angles which Alvarez won't see coming. Talent wise he's streets ahead of Matthew Hatton.

Alvarez looks like the real deal but he will always be beatable with his style of fighting - and Rhodes has as good chance as anyone. It's just a shame the fight will be in Mexico as I can definately see some home cooking on the scorecards.

Wright Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Wright Hook wrote:I wouldn't write Rhodes chances off in this fight. He is alot better fighter than people give him credit for. He has an awkward style and throws punches from angles which Alvarez won't see coming. Talent wise he's streets ahead of Matthew Hatton.

Alvarez looks like the real deal but he will always be beatable with his style of fighting - and Rhodes has as good chance as anyone. It's just a shame the fight will be in Mexico as I can definately see some home cooking on the scorecards.

That seems to be most peoples thoughts mate great talent but beatable due to his style. Rhodes ain't going to get a decision over their and can't see him stopping Alvarez.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 am

Do you think it would have been any better if he was taking on Cotto or Alvarez? (I'm talking in terms of a realistic chance of winning) I'm chuffed for Rhodes finally getting the big shot after a while of seeing dare I say it, slightly undeserving fighters getting there chances over him, but in personal honesty, the timing just isn't right for him to have that world title... =/
Rhodes let's be fair to the guy, he has proven he's macho and he can hit and sting and he can hurt, i mean Jaime Moore is a tough nut to crack and you cannot take that win lightly, as Jaime was still as hard as nails at that point! (Correct me if he is still as hard as nails last time I saw him out he was taken apart on the Haye vs. Ruiz undercard and it kind of looked over)
Anywho, the point I'm getting at is he's better than Hatton, at a natural weight, can most definately hit, and this is one thing I think can really swing in Rhodes' favor, he is a FANTASTIC tactician, knows his way around the game so well, I do think he has the power to stop Alvarez (Possibly being a little controversial in saying so) so I would give him a decent chance!
Also quick question... does anyone know whether this fight will be in England because I did hear Ian Darke say that Alvarez would really like to fight in Britain... He's a British fighter... What more have I got to point out? Also would that mean there would be a remote chance it would be PPV? Probs not but you never know =/

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 am

No it will be in Alvarez's home town, forgot name, or just outside Mexico City.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 am

Ah, then no chance it will be PPV over here, perfect! Think the atmosphere and occassion could get to him...?

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I think faster than I type)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down