The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6

+9
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
D4thincarnation
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Scottrf
eddyfightfan
slash912
azania
HumanWindmill
pacman79
13 posters

Go down

Who Wins

Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6 Vote_lcap71%Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 15 ]
Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6 Vote_lcap29%Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 21

Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6 Empty Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6

Post by pacman79 Thu 05 May 2011, 7:10 pm

On the 18th of June, Ryan Rhodes will try and take Saul Alvarez's WBC 154lb title.
This is the same Alvarez that defended against Matthew Hatton back in march. Hatton never stood a chance and took alot of punishment enroute to losing a 12 rd decision. That fight could have been stopped around the 6th because Hatton just couldn't compete.
Ryan Rhodes (45-4,31 KO’s)is a much better, slicker fighter than Hatton but I still think he will come up short against the unbeaten champ Alvarez (36-0-1,26 KO’s).
Alvarez has youth on his side, he's still only 20 compared to Rhodes 34. He also carries more power than Rhodes and at 20 has lots of ambition.

I think Alvarez will take Rhodes out early.
What do you guys think?

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6 Empty Re: Alvarez vs. Rhodes on 18/6

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 05 May 2011, 7:13 pm

Welcome aboard, pacman. Good to see you made it over, and I hope you enjoy the forum.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2011, 7:23 pm

Ryan is a fully fledged LM and if Alvarez couldn't stop Hatton, what makes you think this career WW can stop Rhodes?

As for ambition, Rhodes has been waiting years for a chance to prove he's a geniune World Class fighter and whilst he may not be able to make that leap from Euro to World level, one thing you can't say is that he lack's ambition

Apart from that, what a well informed and thought provoking article...even if that thought was "Oh dear!"

Back to top Go down

Post by pacman79 Thu 05 May 2011, 7:28 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Welcome aboard, pacman. Good to see you made it over, and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Thanks mate.
I hadn't been on the old 606 for months until this eve and a a few on there were on about this forum so i decided to check it out.
Is this where all the old 606 regulars are hiding now ?

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 May 2011, 7:34 pm

Points win for Alvarez.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Thu 05 May 2011, 7:35 pm

It is pacman, as well as some of us irregulars too!
Rhodes will put up a better fight than Hatton did for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores a knockdown at some point, but I think Alvarez's quality will take a decision. Should be a good fight though!

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 05 May 2011, 7:36 pm

late KO for rhodes, i think he was the power- he will get out pointed through the fight but he will catch him eventually. 8th round KO is my prediction.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 05 May 2011, 7:37 pm

I think Alvarez will walk through him if I'm honest. He's not pretty but it's effective and Rhodes hasn't fought at this level and I'm not convinced about his rebirth.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 05 May 2011, 7:39 pm

I don't think he said Rhodes lacks ambition, he only said that Alvarez has ambition which is true. Hatton, although a WW, was durable and took body shots that would have taken out most. Rhodes is definately going to be canelos hardest opponents to date but you could say the same for Rhodes. He's 34 but is fresh enough imo and will be as good as he can. He will be motivated as he has always been overlooked and alvarez is far from the finished product. I got the feeling that alvarez has been trying to bulldoze everyone so-far as he hasn't been in with many big punchers. I think alvarez is going to improve ahead of his clash with Ryan as it will be a hard fight for him while his other opponents never presented much of a risk.

A good learning curve for canelo, he looks very good at 20 and Rhodes is one of the top fighters in the division. I think it will be very competitive but I see Rhodes slowing down by canelos body assault for a UD for canelo. There may be a few knockdowns also.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by pacman79 Thu 05 May 2011, 7:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think Alvarez will walk through him if I'm honest. He's not pretty but it's effective and Rhodes hasn't fought at this level and I'm not convinced about his rebirth.

Thats pretty much how I feel too

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 05 May 2011, 7:40 pm

pacman79 wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Welcome aboard, pacman. Good to see you made it over, and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Thanks mate.
I hadn't been on the old 606 for months until this eve and a a few on there were on about this forum so i decided to check it out.
Is this where all the old 606 regulars are hiding now ?

You're welcome, mate.

Yes, most of them migrated here, and the vast majority retained their old usernames, so it's like home from home but without the worst of the trolling and spamming.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2011, 7:45 pm

I don't think he said Rhodes lacks ambition, he only said that Alvarez has ambition which is true.

He makes reference to Alvarez's age which implies that at 34, how much ambition can Ryan have. Seems a little unfair given that there aren't many fighters with the longevity of Rhodes who are still pushing for genuine world title shots as opposed to just a pay packet

Back to top Go down

Post by pacman79 Thu 05 May 2011, 7:48 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I don't think he said Rhodes lacks ambition, he only said that Alvarez has ambition which is true.

He makes reference to Alvarez's age which implies that at 34, how much ambition can Ryan have. Seems a little unfair given that there aren't many fighters with the longevity of Rhodes who are still pushing for genuine world title shots as opposed to just a pay packet

I wasn't saying that Rhodes lacks ambition.
I was just pointing out that a 20 year old Alvarez has plenty of ambition.

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2011, 7:49 pm

pacman79 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I don't think he said Rhodes lacks ambition, he only said that Alvarez has ambition which is true.

I wasn't saying that Rhodes lacks ambition.
I was just pointing out that a 20 year old Alvarez has plenty of ambition.
Thereby implying that, at 34, Rhodes doesn't!

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 05 May 2011, 7:54 pm

I think Rhodes can give a good account of himself and cause Alvarez problem but expect Canelo to get a close UD 2-4 rounds.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 7:57 pm

I'm not sold on Rhodes he has foughtat world class before and lost. He has looked good lately but not against anyone of Alvarez's class. Don't expect Alvarez to KO Rhodes because he couldn't get rid of Hatton but I expect a wide UD. Rhodes isn't good enough and doesn't posess enough power to deter Alvarez from coming forward.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 05 May 2011, 8:00 pm

I went for Alvarez myself. Expect it to be a lot more competitive than the Hatton fight, but for Alvarez to take a Unanimous Decision.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Fri 06 May 2011, 11:19 am

In my less educated opinion, I feel Rhodes' recent inactivity could come back to haunt him. Only 2 rounds in over a year by the time fight night comes round against Rocky Junior just isn't enough in my opinion.

I feel if Rhodes had of been more active and there was no chance of being rusty hat his natural size advantage may of been a deciding factor, but as I said 2 rounds in over a year may be costly. Feel this has been a masterstroke by Golden Boy, putting Alvarez in with one of the top men in the division will get him plenty of credit. Though I think they will also be looking at Rhodes inactivity as something to take advantage of.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 06 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think Alvarez will walk through him if I'm honest. He's not pretty but it's effective and Rhodes hasn't fought at this level and I'm not convinced about his rebirth.

The same Alvarez that was put down by a blown up lightweight in Jose Cotto?

I have never been a Rhodes fan but I have been impressed with his comeback.

Alvarez has his work cut out!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 06 May 2011, 3:41 pm

I don't remember him being put down TBH. He got hit a lot and didn't try to cover or hold, he will improve.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 06 May 2011, 4:02 pm

Apologies I thought he did for some reason. Cant check either cos am in work.

Am sure he was in trouble at one point.

Think people are bigging Alvarez a bit though. He hasn't really impressed me.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 06 May 2011, 4:05 pm

Yeah he was hurt, but don't think he went down.

I'm not sure about that. Most people consider him fairly limited.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 06 May 2011, 4:07 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Apologies I thought he did for some reason. Cant check either cos am in work.

Am sure he was in trouble at one point.

Think people are bigging Alvarez a bit though. He hasn't really impressed me.

I'm totally with you there mate.....he just seems to plod forward with very little head movement and out muscel the opposition. I fancy RR for a mid to late stopage.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down