The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins

+17
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Imperial Ghosty
jimdig
Young_Towzer
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
BALTIMORA
tobbox
WelshDevilRob
coxy0001
HumanWindmill
eddyfightfan
Seanusarrilius
Mind the windows Tino.
Lumbering_Jack
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
21 posters

Go down

Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins

Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins Vote_lcap68%Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 25 ]
Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins Vote_lcap32%Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 37

Poll closed

Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins Empty Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

After reading this article on Eastside Boxing:

Alvarez vs. Rhodes a Gimme; Broner vs Litzau Tough Call

By Paul Strauss: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez has fought better competition. He has proven equal to the task, and carries a big punch into his fight with Ryan Rhodes, who has never fought outside of the UK. It might be asking a lot to suggest someone to risk their hard earned money on the 8 to1 long shot Rhodes.

The HBO semi-main event between Broner and Litzau is another story.....

Typical American boxing writer who has probs never even seen him fight and took a quick look at boxrec. I think Rhodes stands a good chance, having seen what Alvarez has to offer so far. And contray to what the above says, I think he's going to be Alvarez toughest test so far.

If the odd on Rhodes are 8's, I'll probably throw a £5 on.

Thoughts?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins Empty Re: Alvarez v Rhodes. Who Wins

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

I got 5 to 1 on Rhodes. Whilst doing it in Mexico is obviously a tough ask rhodes has a real chance for me, I know he is in terrific shape and really fancies the job. Personally have yet to be convinced by Alvarez. Hatton landed plenty, whilst this may be a case of Saul taking shots as he did not respect Matthew's power if he takes so much against Rhodes he will not find things so easy as Rhodes carries a dig at the weight and also throws from some unusual angles. Also worth remembering Cotto's brother had Saul going and he does not punch anywhere near as hard as Ryan.

May be heart ruling head and will be damned tough to get the verdict in Mexico but this is not the walkover many reckon and for me Rhodes will find a way to win, would not even surprise me to see him stop Alvarez late on.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

rowley wrote:I got 5 to 1 on Rhodes. Whilst doing it in Mexico is obviously a tough ask rhodes has a real chance for me, I know he is in terrific shape and really fancies the job. Personally have yet to be convinced by Alvarez. Hatton landed plenty, whilst this may be a case of Saul taking shots as he did not respect Matthew's power if he takes so much against Rhodes he will not find things so easy as Rhodes carries a dig at the weight and also throws from some unusual angles. Also worth remembering Cotto's brother had Saul going and he does not punch anywhere near as hard as Ryan.

May be heart ruling head and will be damned tough to get the verdict in Mexico but this is not the walkover many reckon and for me Rhodes will find a way to win, would not even surprise me to see him stop Alvarez late on.

As long as its not too hot and humid I think Rhodes has a chance.

I seen Alvarez v Jose Cotto and he was on queer street of a punch from a natural lightweight.

The Americans overhyping Alvarez or underestimating Rhodes?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:59 pm

Both would be my answer, is easy to underestimate Ryan. He has had some very poor results but these all come up at middle where he openly acknowledges he struggles and when he would also admit he had fell out of love with the game. For me now he is focussed he has developed into a pretty well rounded fighter and if Alvarez thinks he is facing another Matthew Hatton here he could well be in for a rude awakening.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

Alvarez for me. Rhodes' scrap with Moore was fantastic but he was getting hit with regularity in that fight. Alvarez is probably a harder puncher and is far fresher than Moore.

Rhodes will be in the fight until the half way point until Alvarez pulls away late on and stops him late.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

I am leaning the other way to Rowley. Whilst I think Rhodes has a decent chance, I can see Alvarez winning this late on. I can't imagine he will be so neglectful with his defense, his team will surely have noted how dangerous a puncher Rhodes can be and made adjustments accordingly.

A "new" Mexican champion, in Mexico for his first defense, I can see him finding a way to win this one. Much as I would like Ryan to do the job, I can see Alvarez figuring Rhodes out as the fight progresses and breaking him down for a late stoppage.

I echo what Rowley is saying in that I am not totally convinced by Alvarez, but I do think he will have enough to pull out the win in this one.

Do hope I am wrong though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:11 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am leaning the other way to Rowley. Whilst I think Rhodes has a decent chance, I can see Alvarez winning this late on. I can't imagine he will be so neglectful with his defense, his team will surely have noted how dangerous a puncher Rhodes can be and made adjustments accordingly.

A "new" Mexican champion, in Mexico for his first defense, I can see him finding a way to win this one. Much as I would like Ryan to do the job, I can see Alvarez figuring Rhodes out as the fight progresses and breaking him down for a late stoppage.

I echo what Rowley is saying in that I am not totally convinced by Alvarez, but I do think he will have enough to pull out the win in this one.

If it goes the cards and its close, Alvarez will get the decision due to politics but Rhodes will give him a good fight.

It will be good to see Alvarez fighting an actual light middle for a change.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

If Rhodes wins it will be a great coup for British boxing. But i have to go Canelo on pts sadly. I know he is hyped but he is not a cab driver. altitude may tell also. but its 60-40 in my book. COME ON RYAN!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am leaning the other way to Rowley. Whilst I think Rhodes has a decent chance, I can see Alvarez winning this late on. I can't imagine he will be so neglectful with his defense, his team will surely have noted how dangerous a puncher Rhodes can be and made adjustments accordingly.

If it goes the cards and its close, Alvarez will get the decision due to politics but Rhodes will give him a good fight.

It will be good to see Alvarez fighting an actual light middle for a change.

What an outrageous slur Soldier. Surely you are not suggesting that a local Mexican hero, making his first defense in Mexico on his own promoters card in a WBC title fight will get any "help" from the judges are you. Shameful.

In all seriousness, and unfortunately, I don't see it making the cards but I do think Rhodes can give him some sticky moments.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

i think rhodes will take this one, will be tough but he's had a long career, and this world title shot will be the last for him probably- so he should be focused enough. he has the power and alverez isn't impossible to hit by any means.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:22 pm

eddy, would you do me a favour and read the PM I sent you, please ?

Thanks, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

1500th post on this forum, probably should have made it better than this one, but such is life.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Bearing in mind Rhodes will have to knock him out, then bury him at sea at a private location, i think he'll struggle to get the nod.

Even if he does spark him he'll probably lose by UD.

Only way he wins is by knockout. Too many factors against him, Alvarez for me although i wouldn't be surprised if Rhodes acquits himself well. Has to make him respect his power to stand a chance. 93-7 would be the split for Alvarez in terms of who'd win most out of 100 times etc

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:40 pm

Rhodes has had an 'Indian summer' to his career but I have never really rated him even in the Naz Hamed days when they trained together.

I believe Alvarez gets him out of their before the midway stage. Never trusted Rhodes chin. Also, he was fighting at Super Middleweight last time out - so possibly a weight issue.

Rhodes is certainly better than the limited Hatton, who went the distance with Saul, but I think Alvarez turns it up for this fight and Rhodes will crumble.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

As much as I'd love Ryan to win, I think he'll be stopped, probaby mid-way through the fight. I think he'll start well and perhaps even win a couple of early rounds but he'll soak up too many shots and take a battering.

Hope I'm wrong though.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

Personally I can see him doing a McGuigan, and melting.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:52 pm

Ring have done a good head to head article. Which is pretty accurate in judging both of their abilites. Unlike that clampit on Eastside Paul Strauss.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/167735-head-to-head-alvarez-vs-rhodes

Cant copy and past off the Ring site.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

Soldier, can copy and paste from the Ring website, text from article is below

SAUL ALVAREZ vs. RYAN RHODES

When: Saturday, June 18

Where: Guadalajara, Mexico

TV: HBO Boxing After Dark, 10:30 pm. ET (live) / 10:30 p.m. PT (delayed)

Weight: Junior middleweight (154 pounds)

Title(s) at stake: Alvarez’s WBC title

Also on the card: Adrien Broner vs. Jason Litzau, 10 rounds, junior lightweight

ALVAREZ

The essentials

Height / Reach: 5-9 (175cm) / 71 (180cm)

Stance: Orthodox

Hometown: Juanacatlán, Jalisco, Mexico

Nickname: Canelo

Turned pro: 2005

Record: 36-0-1 (26 knockouts)

Trainer: Eddy Reynoso

Fight-by-fight: <a href="http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=348759&cat=boxer">Click here</a>

The Ring rating: No. 9

Titles: None

Biggest victories: Carlos Baldomir, Sept. 18, 2010, KO 6; Lovemore N’Dou, Dec. 4, 2010, UD 12; Matthew Hatton, March 5, 2011, UD 12 (won vacant title).

Draw: Jorge Juarez, June 17, 2006, PTS 4

RHODES

The essentials

Height: 5-8½ (174cm)

Stance: Southpaw

Hometown: Sheffield, England

Turned pro: 1995

Record: 45-4 (31 knockouts)

Trainer: Dave Coldwell

Fight-by-fight: <a href="http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=18454&cat=boxer">Click here</a>

The Ring rating: No. 4

Titles: None

Biggest victories: Paul Jones, Dec. 14, 1996, TKO 8 (won British 160-pound title); Gary Woolcombe, April 18, 2008, KO 9 (won British 154-pound title); Vincent Vuma, Nov. 15, 2008, UD 12; Jamie Moore, Oct. 23, 2009, TKO 7; Luca Messi, May 21, 2010, TKO 6 (European 154-ound title); Rocky Junior, Dec. 4, 2010, TKO 2 (most-recent fight).

Losses: Otis Grant, Dec. 13, 1997, UD 12 (for world title); Jason Matthews, July 17, 1999, KO 2; Lee Blundell, March 13, 2002, TKO 3; Gary Lockett, July 8, 2006, UD 12.

HEAD-TO-HEAD

Skills: Alvarez and Rhodes are versatile boxer-punchers who can stalk-and-punish or stick-and-move depending upon the situation. Both fighters are accurate punchers (especially with their jab) and counter-punchers with good timing. Alvarez, the better combination puncher of the two, seems more at home stalking and exchanging shots but he can move effectively. Rhodes, the fighter with the more fluid footwork, seems more adept at hit-and-move tactics. The British veteran often switches his stance (from right-handed to southpaw) during his fights, which throws off some opponents and helps him set up his offense.

Edge: Even

Power: Alvarez, who has stopped a little over 70 percent of his opponents, is known for his heavy hands, but it should be noted that he fought mainly at welterweight prior to May of last year. The young Mexican does not possess one-punch KO power. He generally wears his opposition down with pressure, combination punching, and a mean body attack. Rhodes, who turned pro at middleweight and has fought as heavy as 169 pounds, has stopped a little over 60 percent of his opponents but he’s used to whacking out much bigger fighters than Alvarez has faced. His hand speed and the odd, unpredictable angles that he launches some of his punches from contributes to his ability knockdown and KO opponents.

Edge: Rhodes

Speed and athletic ability: Alvarez is a strong, all-around athlete who possess good power and better-than-average speed and reflexes. However, Rhodes is faster, despite being the older and naturally bigger man. The switch-hitter has quicker reflexes, better balance and superior hand-eye coordination. In short, Rhodes is a little more dynamic than Alvarez.

Defense: Alvarez is not your typical aggressive Mexican warrior who happily wades face-first into his opponent’s punches. He keeps his hands up, blocks well, and isn’t embarrassed to take a step back when he needs to. However, his defensive prowess doesn’t remind anyone of Salvador Sanchez or Miguel Canto. The 20-year-old titleholder can be hit and he’s often tagged by quick jabs and well-timed left hooks. Rhodes is comfortable fighting with his hands down, which leaves his chin open for an accurate puncher, but he isn’t easy to catch because his head and upper body are always in motion if his feet aren’t moving. Rhodes expertly leans away from punches and he does a good job of tucking his chin behind his lead shoulder.

Experience: Despite turning pro when Alvarez was four years old, Rhodes has only fought 10 more rounds (235 to 225) than the young phenom. Both men fought their first scheduled 12-round bouts ridiculously early in their pro careers. Rhodes did so in his 11th pro bout, when he won the coveted British title. Alvarez did so in his 15th pro bout when he won the Jalisco state title. Both have fought the 12-round distance four times. Alvarez has faced three major titleholders (Carlos Baldomir, Miguel Vazquez and Lovemore Ndou). Rhodes has fought one (Otis Grant). However, it should be noted that Vazquez, a current lightweight beltholder, was not suited for the heavier weights he fought Alvarez at, and Baldomir and Ndou were both pushing 40 when they fought the up-and-comer. Grant, however, was a talented, natural middleweight who was in his physical prime at the time he faced a still-green Rhodes.

Chin: Alvarez has never been down or stopped but he was badly rocked in the first round of his fight with Jose Cotto (by a left hook) last May. He recovered quickly, however, and scored a flash knockdown in the next round before wearing the veteran down to a ninth-round stoppage. Rhodes has been stopped twice, by Jason Matthews (KO 2) and Lee Blundell (TKO 3), both of whom were solid fighters at the time (1999 and 2002). Rhodes’ chin has held up well since the Blundell fight, a span of 21 bouts, which includes matches with heavy handed Gary Lockett and Jaime Moore. It should also be noted that Rhodes is used to getting hit by heavier fighters than Alvarez has faced on average.

Conditioning: Rhodes’ dedication to boxing was questioned in the late 1990s and early part of the last decade, but he has clearly recommitted himself to the sport since his loss to Lockett in 2006. He has to be in supreme condition just to make the junior middleweight limit. Alvarez, who likes to come on strong in the late rounds of his fights, is usually in excellent shape, but he admits to having been less-than 100 percent for the Hatton fight. He spent a month in Big Bear, Calif., training at 7,000 feet and sparring with middleweight standout Gennady Golovkin, in preparation for the Rhodes fight.

Wear and tear: Neither fighter has taken an extended beating, but having spent 16 years in the pro ranks has to have taken a toll on Rhodes' 34-year-old body.

Edge: Alvarez

Corner: Rhodes’ trainer, Dave Coldwell, a former flyweight journeyman, has done an excellent job refining the foundation built by the fighter’s first coach, Sheffield legend Brendan Ingle. Rhodes is exhibiting the best form of his career and Coldwell is definitely a factor in the veteran’s recent resurgence. Alvarez’s trainers Jose and Edison “Eddy” Reynoso guided the careers of former titleholders Oscar Larios and Javier Jauregui. Eddy Reynoso currently trains three-division belt holder Koki Kameda. The father-and-son trainer/manager team have coached Alvarez since he began seriously training for boxing at age 13.

Edge: Alvarez

Outcome: The veteran challenger’s fluid lateral movement and jabs delivered from alternating orthodox and southpaw stances will frustrate Alvarez in the early rounds of the bout. The young titleholder will patiently stalk his opponent who tries to catch him with pot shots whenever he plants his feet. The two will exchange punches whenever Rhodes maneuvers near the ropes. Alvarez will score to the body but the older man will land hard counter shots that back the younger man off. Alvarez will step up his pressure in the middle rounds and successfully cut the ring off on the Brit. However, he’ll find that Rhodes is able to slip most of his punches, even when delivered in bunches. When Alvarez least expects it the veteran will explode off the ropes with a left cross-right uppercut combination that rocks him back on his heels. Alvarez will backpedal out of the danger zone on wobbly legs as Rhodes goes for the kill. Although still clearly buzzed, Alvarez will remain calm and focused as he blocks and leans away from Rhodes’ swinging follow-up shots. The Mexican favorite will even fire back before the end of the round. Rhodes will press the attack in the following round as Alvarez continues to move while he recovers. They will trade punches whenever in range. Alvarez will land more during the exchanges but Rhodes will snap the youth’s head back with fast jabs and single power shots. Alvarez will catch a second wind in the late rounds and surprise Rhodes with an left uppercut-hook to the body combination that stuns the Englishman in his tracks. Rhodes will wisely tie up Alvarez and survive the round but he will visibly slow down during the championship rounds. Alvarez, spurred on by 15,000 “Can-e-lo” chanting fans, will finish strong although he won’t be able to stop his tough challenger.

Prediction: Alvarez by close, perhaps majority decision.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

As I said on one of the other threads about this, I fear the weather will do for Rhodes. On Ringside last night he was sweating cobs in an airconditioned room.

Yes, Alvarez has flaws aplenty but all the planets are going to have to be in alignment for Ryan to do this, but he certainly has my best wishes.

PS a MASSIVE thanks to Sky for putting this on SS3 when I only have SS1 and SS2... I hope you all get thrush!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

I have just checked the weather and by the time he will be on (round 10pm?) it will be 27 Degree Celsius 37% Humidity.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

It is indoors and apparently the building has air con. Rhodes has said though he expects them to turn that off, sad thing is he was only half joking

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

To be honest that wouldnt surprised me if they did do that.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:13 pm

I can see Ryan winning this. Alvarez was wide open against Hatton and a bigger puncher would have had him in serious trouble. Overhyped? Or Over-cautious?

This is going two ways in my eyes: Rhodes KO or Alvarez UD. I see a KO thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

33% think Rhodes will win which Is more than I expected..

Feels like the graham-Brewster fight..where the more talented boxer will dominate until age catches up to him and he fades later on...

I like Rhodesy he may have flattered to deceive but he is genuinely talented and seeing muppets like Maccaspaghetti take world title status it would be a shame if he couldn't do the same...

Just think his tank will let him down later on maybe..

Although Rowley's wife say's he's looking good..so who knows..

best of luck to him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

I must be watching a different Rhodes to anyone who says he's gonna not only win, but win by stoppage. I've seen the guy battered at domestic level and troubled by the p4p Jamie Coyle. Alvarez in 8 rounds

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

I like Rhodesy he may have flattered to deceive but he is genuinely talented and seeing muppets like Maccaspaghetti take world title status it would be a shame if he couldn't do the same...
You mean Macarinelli? didn't he win a world title when given the opportunity, Rhodes came up well short twice

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:I like Rhodesy he may have flattered to deceive but he is genuinely talented and seeing muppets like Maccaspaghetti take world title status it would be a shame if he couldn't do the same...
You mean Macarinelli? didn't he win a world title when given the opportunity, Rhodes came up well short twice

I think the point to consider is who the opponents were. Hell, Chavez Jr has just won a 'world's title. Katsidis on the other hand failed a few times against very good opponents.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

Spice boy win by KO, if he can turn in anything like the Moore performance, failing that, UD Rhodes for me. Haven't bought into the Alvarez hype. Too easy to hit, too slow of foot. Ryan has all the skills to make Alvarez look foolish, hope he doesn't bottle it.

Really hoping Ryan doesn't prove me wrong and get knocked spark out.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:30 pm

I think the point to consider is who the opponents were. Hell, Chavez Jr has just won a 'world's title. Katsidis on the other hand failed a few times against very good opponents.
Maccarinelli won the fight for the title after Nelson vacated, wasn't vacant, he had interim fight then got upgraded to full champ, and made a couple of decent defences. Braithwaite was no mug. He battered Afolabi who was no mug also until he got caught, he just doesn't have the chin.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:32 pm

Maccarinelli was a useless stiff at a dreadful weight limit that good fighters tend to avoid..

How you can compare it to superwelt/welt/jr welt and the rest is beyond me..

cruiser sucks and spaghetti did too.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

Maccarinelli was a useless stiff at a dreadful weight limit that good fighters tend to avoid..

How you can compare it to superwelt/welt/jr welt and the rest is beyond me..

cruiser sucks and spaghetti did too.
Did he win and defend a world title? thought so. Did Rhodes? thought not. Rhodes was beaten twice for world titles, once by Otis Grant on points, then destroyed by Jason Matthews, both well below even B level. He has also been iced by Lee Blundell, been comfortably beat by other poor fighters like Gary Lockett. Enzo won a title legit and defended it, you have no argument.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

Berbick won a world title..Alfredo Layne won a world title.......

means diddly squat as you well know..

rhodes opposition has been better..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

The WBO cruiserweight title legit? At no point has he ever beaten a world level opponent, Rhodes may not have won a title but he's had the misfortune of fighting in stronger divisions

Suppose Gavin Rees is a better fighter than say Howard Eastman or Herol Graham?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:48 pm

That's my point mate; Maccarinelli didn't beat a champ for the belt, and if you look at his record it's hardly stellar.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-weights-saul-alvarez-1532-ryan-rhodes-1528--40480?

Both look in really good shape, Alvarez looks the bigger though and can't hel but winder how big he may come fight night.

I'm really looking forward to this fight, Alvarez and Rhodes are known to entertain and it could pan out like Rhodes-Moore. Also including the fact we may have a new champ

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 1weight1champ Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

Alverez should not be a world champion and how his fight with matty hatton (who couldn't get another world title shot at welter his natural weight) was for a vacant WBC belt when neither fighter had boxed at the weight before or were even ranked by the WBC shows all that is wrong with boxing today. I am not impressed with what alverez has beat up to now but can't ignore his talent, realy hope rhodes can expose him but can realy see this being a classic fight regardless of the out come

1weight1champ

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Fri 17 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm

Alverez is vunerable. 5 to 1, what brilliant odds. Maybe worth a flutter.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:07 am

Suppose Gavin Rees is a better fighter than say Howard Eastman or Herol Graham?
Definitely Eastman yeah, Bomber did fight the best, and imo beat McCallum, thats a one off. I don't rate Rhodes, think he's hyped.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:09 am

BALTIMORA wrote:That's my point mate; Maccarinelli didn't beat a champ for the belt, and if you look at his record it's hardly stellar.

He did beat wayne braithwaite in a defence.

That was no mean feat.

His career when down hill from there the Haye loss crippled his career and his confidence.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

There is an article on Rhodes if you go to Perfessor's article on FM. (follow link and keep reading).
Quite excited about this fight, see it 60/40 too, the odds are way wrong at the bookies.May be worth a small punt on Rhodes. Would be amazing if he won, and although I have not been a fan of his I like his attitude and he seems really up for it, and who knows, maybe he will expolit Alvarez's weaknesses.He's not the finished article by any means.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

anyone know what time this is live in the UK? i know its on SS3 at 10am tomorrow, but was hoping to catch it live online

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:11 pm

His career when down hill from there the Haye loss crippled his career and his confidence.
It did, but comparing Enzo with a nearly man is wrong, Enzo won the WBO title in the ring, he never lost twice as Rhodes did for world titles. Then when he looked finished he won the Europan title away destroying a prospect. Rhodes isn't world class and never will be, that will all be confirmed tonight.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

Completely ignore the standard of opposition that Enzo faced to win his title why dont you, being a belt holder means very little nowadays

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Towzer just because Rhodes hasn't won a world title YET doesn't necessarily mean he never will. There are plenty fighters who didn't succeed at their first, second, third attempt. Remember Frank Bruno? Won the belt on his FOURTH attempt and promptly passed it to Tyson next fight out.

If it weren't for fortunate circumstance Enzo would've been a nearly man. As it was he was steered towards the WarrenBO belt...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:22 am

Rhodes a bit cagey the first couple of rounds.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:28 am

Best put a spoiler warning up mate.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:31 am

True i never thought about the delayed showing thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:35 am

Doesn't bother me but odds on someone'll get their panties in a twist.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

Alvarez won.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down