The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*** SPOILER *** Rhodes vs Alvarez

+18
oxring
Lumbering_Jack
TRUSSMAN66
tobbox
HumanWindmill
Imperial Ghosty
ian_jamsie
jimdig
88Chris05
Small Time
Young_Towzer
compelling and rich
Rowley
Jimmythebullet
BALTIMORA
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Scottrf
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

*** SPOILER *** Rhodes vs Alvarez  Empty *** SPOILER *** Rhodes vs Alvarez

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

Hi lads,

Well im going to keep this brief...

Alvarez seems to be filling this role as the next best thing better each time he comes out to fight.

Ok Rhodes isn't a top class operator so Im not gonna start praising from the roof tops here. But Rhodes is a "quality fighter" and he got absolutely torn apart.

Im starting to sit up and notice this ginger ninja now. He is brave, strong and throws good combinations. I guess the lack of quality opposition makes people jump on his back and moan. But the lad is starting to raise his game each time the opposition gets better.

I think im starting to become a fan now. Excellent performance. Made a fool of Rhodes. I expected a bit of a fight back, but Alvarez just too good and he proved it in this fight.

Good win.

Here is a link with further details if your interested.

DeeMcK

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/19/ryan-rhodes-outclassed-by-saul-alvarez-in-mexican-showdown/
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

*** SPOILER *** Rhodes vs Alvarez  Empty Re: *** SPOILER *** Rhodes vs Alvarez

Post by Scottrf Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

Ignored Coldwell's advice to stop switching and to press Alvarez back and unload. Never really risked it, which he needed to for any chance of winning. Alvarez looks decent, composed accurate and strong. Hatton gave a better performance and never stopped trying to win.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

Really impressed with Alvarez. Has a great ring IQ, can figure his opponent out, has quick hands, decent finisher and very accurate.

He was enormous, Rhodes was suppose to be the bigger man but got completely outclassed. True, Rhodes isn't a world class opponent, but he's top 10 in the division and he won only 2-3 rounds. I would like to see if he could make WW(I doubt it) as he could carry through with the pacquiao fight mid-late 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:18 am

Scottrf wrote:Ignored Coldwell's advice to stop switching and to press Alvarez back and unload. Never really risked it, which he needed to for any chance of winning. Alvarez looks decent, composed accurate and strong. Hatton gave a better performance and never stopped trying to win.

Agree 100% mate.

I admit to thinking that Alvarez is getting hyped up too much. But seeing that performance last night (even though it was only Rhodes) made me think that this fella could be one to keep staying up too watch in the future. But Rhodes just isn't good enough to be on that stage, plus the fact hes too old and almost inactive when he at least should have been in the ring more to prepare for this.

But I am giving praise to Alvarez for his showing. 20 years old and cruising!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

One thing with Alvarez is I think he could have more of a killer instinct. I got the impression in his last 2 fights that he could step up a few gears and force a stoppage, which he didn't really try to (for most of the Rhodes fight anyway).

Wont help his reputation going 12 rounds if he doesn't need to, stoppages make people take notice.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

Stoppages do grab the attention more, but so to a lesser extent do dominant performances, and there's no point in taking unnecessary risks if you're winning with relative ease already. Nothing wrong with getting the rounds under his belt, 'cause plenty of big-punching KO artists have come unstuck when they're taken into the later rounds.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

Had money on Alvarez stoppage round 11. Bit gutted.

Agree he has scope to go through the gears and force earlier stoppages. Seems happy to cruise.

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Stoppages do grab the attention more, but so to a lesser extent do dominant performances, and there's no point in taking unnecessary risks if you're winning with relative ease already. Nothing wrong with getting the rounds under his belt, 'cause plenty of big-punching KO artists have come unstuck when they're taken into the later rounds.
There's a balance. If he's facing someone who can turn it round in one punch, don't risk the win. If he's facing Matthew Hatton, get him out of there. Wladimir doesn't risk leads, and gets a reputation as a boring safety first fighter.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

I personally think there were a couple of occasions when Ryan did land that he buzzed Alvarez and this perhaps infulenced him in not really putting the foot down earlier and going for the finish. Have to agree with people though in that having only seen Alvarez against Cotto and Hatton he looked a far more rounded fighter than he had in either of those fights.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

impressed with alvarez, he is still very young and i have barely seen him lose a round so far. he is a great fighter to watch, a agressive come forward fighter who's mexican is never bad. will be watching his next fights from now on

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

I don't think he's being hyped, he's 20 year old and a world champ, he has many years ahead of him, must admit the comments by Marquez with regards to Alvarez are bang out of order, what a bitter old guy he sounds like. Well done Saul, Rhodes isn't world class and never will be as i've always said, but still got battered by a brilliant young fighter.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

Well done to Alvarez, but I think he is being very protected.Very protected indeed.WBC don't want to give Rhodes a shot for two solid years, but after one defence against a decent fighter (Hatton) who was out of his weight range, now Rhodes;probably chosen because of his age and inactivity.Let's hold fire with the plaudits until he fights someone who deserves to be in the ring with him!
Reminds me of how the W.B.O. used to treat Eubank's opponents.Sorry to be a grumpy old man but I think it's a bit whiffy.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

What a surprise, Towzer doesn't like Marquez for some reason...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

rowley wrote:I personally think there were a couple of occasions when Ryan did land that he buzzed Alvarez and this perhaps infulenced him in not really putting the foot down earlier and going for the finish. Have to agree with people though in that having only seen Alvarez against Cotto and Hatton he looked a far more rounded fighter than he had in either of those fights.

Totally agree. He looked big for Middle though, let alone a light middle.....and his accuracy is phenomenal. Couldn't help but laugh when the commentator said there was a future match up between Alvarez and Manny Pac on the cards....no ones going to be able to convince me Manny wants t ocommit suicide in that way LOL!

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

Although it would have been nice to see Rhodes (who deserved this chance earlier, and certainly before Hatton) take the win here, you can't be anything other than impressed with Alvarez's performance. I've said quite a few times since he's burst on the scene that I feel he has the potential to be something very, very special in the future, and though it was 'only' Ryan Rhodes this morning, I think we've seen enough to suggest that he'll be a major player for a number of years.

I do agree that he needs to learn to be a little more clinical, mind you. But he's twenty years old - it's virtually guaranteed that he's going to get better, and that we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg right now. I'm convinced that he could mix it with any other titlist at 154 lb and win.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

Andy, I think you make a fair point. Beating Rhodes does make Alvarez a bit more 'legit', but people are perhaps jumping the gun a tad. Rhodes WAS top 3 ranked, but then...Salita was also Khan's #1 ranked contender. I'm taking nothing away from Rhodes, but let's not forget that for all his plaudits Alvarez has yet to beat a champion, or even a proven WORLD level opponent. Is fighting Rhodes all that different to Brook fighting N'dou?

At 20, he's plenty of time to take things at his own pace, and there's years yet to build his legacy, and in that context last night's result was certainly a step in the right direction.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Although he looks huge at the weight, I can't help think that he carries alot more KO power at WW. He hits hard, he has great physical strength and can bully his opponent. But it reminds me of Bradley, he hits hard but not enough to one punch KO an opponent. Rhodes was suppose to make it close, he was easily te hardest opponent canelo has fought and he didn't get a look in. I said this before, but I think he performs better the better the opposition.

I would like to see him take on martiroysan and trout, gradyally step up untill 2012 when've should be looking for angulo, Cotto, Williams/Lara winner. I think putting him in with angulo would be a poor decision as angulo can be outboxed but he has a granite chin, relentless pressure and good power. I can see canelo and angulo getting in a war.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

Haven't called a fight that wrong in a long time. Honestly thought that Rhodes would out box him. Alvarez's combo's and accuracy were impressive, his ability to turn off the ropes and out of danger also a marked improvement on Hatton.

I would have liked to have seen him turn up the pressure earlier, but he seemed happy to cruise in 2nd gear. Rhodes was painfully disappointing, he stood infront of him all night, never circled, although he switched stances through out, he didn't really give him angles, he still only boxed in straight lines. I'm disappointed for Ryan, he just isn't world level.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

Totally agree. He looked big for Middle though, let alone a light middle.....and his accuracy is phenomenal. Couldn't help but laugh when the commentator said there was a future match up between Alvarez and Manny Pac on the cards....no ones going to be able to convince me Manny wants t ocommit suicide in that way LOL!
You serious lol? he's beat Matthew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes in his last 2 fights, Bundrage wouldn't be a bad option next, don't bring Pacquiao into it though please, that is laughable imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

Pacman would force him to boil down to some daft catch weight.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:43 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Totally agree. He looked big for Middle though, let alone a light middle.....and his accuracy is phenomenal. Couldn't help but laugh when the commentator said there was a future match up between Alvarez and Manny Pac on the cards....no ones going to be able to convince me Manny wants t ocommit suicide in that way LOL!
You serious lol? he's beat Matthew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes in his last 2 fights, Bundrage wouldn't be a bad option next, don't bring Pacquiao into it though please, that is laughable imo.

Not as laughable as you seem to think it is, given that Pacquiao's been able to accommodate Clottey and Margarito in the last eighteen months alone. I personally don't think that a Alvarez-Pacquiao fight is on the cards, and nor would I be particularly fussed on seeing it right now, but if Pacquiao's going to fight the likes of Clottey and Margarito - who bring no more to the table than Alvarez does - then I'd say that stranger things have happened.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Pacman would force him to boil down to some daft catch weight.
There's no way oscar would put him in with Manny Pacquiao, he's 20 year old and a terrific young fighter, he's not p4p world class yet which is what Pacquiao is, would you also put him in with Mayweather and Martinez? because i certainly wouldn't, Martinez and Pacquiao would be murderous fights for him.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

Not as laughable as you seem to think it is, given that Pacquiao's been able to accommodate Clottey and Margarito in the last eighteen months alone. I personally don't think that a Alvarez-Pacquiao fight is on the cards, and nor would I be particularly fussed on seeing it right now, but if Pacquiao's going to fight the likes of Clottey and Margarito - who bring no more to the table than Alvarez does - then I'd say that stranger things have happened.
Maybe he could box Mayweather or Martinez then? because Mayweather's fought a fat lightweight who was never gonna compete in the last few years, and Alvarez is a ripped to shreds huge light middleweight, so maybe Mayweather as well, of course there's no way on this earth he's ready for Mayweather or Pacquiao, but apparently stranger things have happened you say.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

So Clottey and Margarito were legitimate fights then? Pacquiao is apparently the former WBC '154lb' champion so why not make the fight happen

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:49 pm

So Clottey and Margarito were legitimate fights then? Pacquiao is apparently the former WBC '154lb' champion so why not make the fight happen
I didn't agree with them fights, that doesn't mean Alvarez is ready for Pacquiao. Same as i didn't agree with Mayweather fighting Marquez, which again doesn't mean Alvarez is ready. Bundrage next or Foreman wouldn't be bad options. He's a brilliant young fighter, then there's the supreme fighters Pacquiao, Mayweather and Martinez = who have much, much more at this stage and more experienced.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Christ Towzer, is it any wonder you get torn to shreds so often? First off, we're not discussing Mayweather, so I can't see why on earth you've brought him in to it. Next, I was simply stating that Pacquiao has fought Clottey and Margarito within the last eighteen months. Neither of them were a more dangerous fighter than Alvarez is right now, and neither of them bring the same fan base and money that Alvarez can offer. Now, is that point so hard to understand?

As I said, it's not a fight I expect nor really want to happen. But if it did, it would hardly be 'laughable' as you claim, given Pacquiao's recent list of opponents.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

So fighters should only take fights that they think they would win 100%?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

Christ Towzer, is it any wonder you get torn to shreds so often? First off, we're not discussing Mayweather, so I can't see why on earth you've brought him in to it. Next, I was simply stating that Pacquiao has fought Clottey and Margarito within the last eighteen months. Neither of them were a more dangerous fighter than Alvarez is right now, and neither of them bring the same fan base and money that Alvarez can offer. Now, is that point so hard to understand?

As I said, it's not a fight I expect nor really want to happen. But if it did, it would hardly be 'laughable' as you claim, given Pacquiao's recent list of opponents.
Who tears me to shreds lol? im lost. I mentioned Mayweather because him and Pacquiao are an elite league of their own, and he isn't ready for either man, as you slated Manny for fighting Marg, Clottey, i thought it was only right to say Marquez was a sham too, as for shreds though, i'm absolutely lost. Very Happy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:01 pm

So fighters should only take fights that they think they would win 100%?
So a 20 year old is ready for the best p4p fighter on the planet after a win over a European level batch of opponents?

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

If he loses so what? He holds quite a lot of physical advantages over Pacquiao and unlike Margarito and Clottey has decent hand speed and all round ability to try and make the most of it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

Fellas, it's all okay thus far, but since the conversation has led us to Manny let's please remember to debate passionately but with civility.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. They are all valid.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

Fellas, it's all okay thus far, but since the conversation has led us to Manny let's please remember to debate passionately but with civility.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. They are all valid.
They sure are Windy unless i'm discussing boxing with 88chris

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:as you slated Manny for fighting Marg, Clottey, i thought it was only right to say Marquez was a sham too, as for shreds though, i'm absolutely lost. Very Happy

*Sigh*

No I didn't 'slate' Manny for fighting Clottey and Margarito at all. As ever, you're just trying to engineer a way to post your usual rants in a way that's as argumentative as possible. I simply said that as a fight in general (danger of opponent, money brought to the table etc) Alvarez is at least on an equal footing to those names, probably even more legitimate, in fact. Therefore, a fight between him and Pacquiao would hardly be a 'laughable' proposition at this stage, as you claim.

If you can't understand that, then there really is no hope for you. Nothing else to say on the matter.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

No I didn't 'slate' Manny for fighting Clottey and Margarito at all. As ever, you're just trying to engineer a way to post your usual rants in a way that's as argumentative as possible.
Rants? again, i'm lost

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

Again, let's keep the thermostat down to a manageable point.

Perfectly okay to knock lumps out of each others' arguments, but we can do so while still respecting each others' RIGHTS to make those arguments.

Let's make this a war - free zone.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

Chris you've upset him now, now wait for the tried and tested triumvirate of fact, end of and i'm not annoyed

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Chris you've upset him now, now wait for the tried and tested triumvirate of fact, end of and i'm not annoyed
Upset me lol? hardly. I'll probably upset you though by not rising to your bait, a normal imperial day wouldn't be without trying to wind people up with comments like above, but nah won't get to me. Cheers though. Smile

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

Trying to wind you up, not at all just stating a fact that you can't debate anything sensibly without resorting to stating your opinion as fact then saying end of but if that's what you believe then you did indeed rise to the bait by replying in the first place. END OF

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

Trying to wind you up, not at all just stating a fact that you can't debate anything sensibly without resorting to stating your opinion as fact then saying end of but if that's what you believe then you did indeed rise to the bait by replying in the first place. END OF
No i never rose to your bait lol. I have come to expect you to go out of your way to disagree with people and try to get a reaction, you won't get that out of me with regards to winding me up, as i say cheers though, end of.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

By simply replying you rose to the apparent bait, if it what I said didn't bother you why feel the need to tell me that?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

By simply replying you rose to the apparent bait, if it what I said didn't bother you why feel the need to tell me that?
i never lol, honestly, like i said you imo try to wind people up and you have failed to do so with me, nothing, and i mean nothing you say or do will wind me up. You tried to wind me up by saying chris had upset me when i was responding to him, and failed. End of.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

All this talk of Alvarez being a 'huge' light middleweight...wasn't he fighting at welterweight about three or four fights back?

Also, given that he's supposedly now the legitimate WBC 154lb WORLD champion (for what THAT'S worth nowadays), why shouldn't he be ready to take on the best? This is going back to a point which others have made before, but why are fighters fast-tracked into titles and then expected to not face the best out there? Either a guy is a world-beater, or he's not. Holding a belt and not fighting the biggest challenges makes a guy into a joke.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

Ghosty, you've wound him up now...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

This is where you are very wrong, I never try to wind people up but i've grown tired of your inane drivel, nothing you say makes sense and as they say actions speak louder than words. You can say whatever you want but i've been subjected to you long enough to know when your wound up and please stop using 'lol' it really is the sign of an imbecile.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

This is where you are very wrong, I never try to wind people up but i've grown tired of your inane drivel, nothing you say makes sense and as they say actions speak louder than words. You can say whatever you want but i've been subjected to you long enough to know when your wound up and please stop using 'lol' it really is the sign of an imbecile.
lol, i doubt i'm wound up, but think as you please, if anything you sound a tad wound up by saying i talk drivel, and asking me to stop using 'lol', sorry that your a bit wound up though i don't like winding people up, end of. also @ BALTIMORA - Cheers, much appreciated Very Happy

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

Very impressed with Alvarez - Rhodes is no mug but was outclassed in every department. Can't see Canelo staying at that weight for long.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

I've asked you nicely, you lot, and I don't intend to waste my time editing out offensive remarks.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 19 Jun 2011, 3:59 pm

That's the thing Balti, how can Alvarez be seen as a world champion if he's still not ready to fight the best, surely it's a hollow achievement in that case?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

That's the gist of it Ghosty, yeah. Same thing as with Chavez Jr, Berto, Ottke, even Cleverly potentially, 'cause I can see Frank wanting to milk that particular teat 'til it's purple.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

That's the gist of it Ghosty, yeah. Same thing as with Chavez Jr, Berto, Ottke, even Cleverly potentially, 'cause I can see Frank wanting to milk that particular teat 'til it's purple.
Didn't Berto fight Collazo and Quintana then a very live and quality Ortiz? 3 good fighters 2 former world champs and 1 current world champ. Also Clev's had the title a month, and Warren's already on about Hopkins, so would be fair to wait and see what happens.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next